Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APR Chip Review

1. 11-29-2006 01:24 PM #1
      Hey guys, my 6 hour trial with the APR 93 chip just ended and I have to say I was quite unimpressed. It wasnt all i thought it would be. I was thinking it would bring this huge frin to my face, spin all the tires like crazy, stuff like that. I noticed a little better throttle response but not much. Im hoping that this is just all in my head and when I get in the car later on and its back to stock I will be like whoa the chip did do a lot. I called the APR dealer and told him I didnt see myself paying $800 for this, he said that the DSG is a big factor and i'd notice the gains I wanted if I had a manual. Im hoping he's not right, haha. But can anyone say this is just the APR chip, are the other ones any better, and is chipping all cars this way, because I have a 2.7T Audi and was gonna get it chipped but if its gonna be this way then no. All feedback will be much appreciated.

2. 11-29-2006 01:37 PM #2
      your 2.7T will like the chip alot better then the 2.0 T.

3. 11-29-2006 01:50 PM #3
      i had the same problem and mine is a six speed, but i had already purchased the program. but what i did i bought the turboback from them as well and then you can really tell a diff. this did it for me. im super happy now with my stage 2 with my turboback and evos intake. . . but the chip alone not impressive at all.

4. 11-29-2006 01:51 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by BBest89 »
      Hey guys, my 6 hour trial with the APR 93 chip just ended and I have to say I was quite unimpressed. It wasnt all i thought it would be. I was thinking it would bring this huge frin to my face, spin all the tires like crazy, stuff like that. I noticed a little better throttle response but not much. Im hoping that this is just all in my head and when I get in the car later on and its back to stock I will be like whoa the chip did do a lot. I called the APR dealer and told him I didnt see myself paying $800 for this, he said that the DSG is a big factor and i'd notice the gains I wanted if I had a manual. Im hoping he's not right, haha. But can anyone say this is just the APR chip, are the other ones any better, and is chipping all cars this way, because I have a 2.7T Audi and was gonna get it chipped but if its gonna be this way then no. All feedback will be much appreciated.
      I am surprised that you didn't notice large gains. I am running the APR stage 2 Beta B (manual) file and I am very impressed. I was extremely happy with my purchase when I only had stage 1 and an intake. The only complaint I have is with the fuel cut-off on my early model 06 2.0T. Waiting for the fix...

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      11-29-2006 01:53 PM #5
      i went with GIAC and very impressed
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

Vehicles
      2007 Passat wagon 3.6 4-Motion, 2006 GTI, 1985 GTI
      11-29-2006 01:55 PM #6
      You might try another chip manufacturers trial. I know Revo allows a 5 hour trial and I'm not sure about GIAC. Either way play the field a little while it's free.

For what it's worth I noticed my Revo chip immediately and after only 30 minutes of driving it was obviously if full effect and a lot of fun. When my buddy was chipped with APR his chip took longer to take hold but it was noticeable for him as well.

champagne wishes. caviar dreams.

Vehicles
      e46 m3
      11-29-2006 01:57 PM #7
      the chip isnt a world of differance but its just nice knowing you ahve the extra power. If a stock gti pulls up next to you its nice to know you dont have to waste your gas. The chip makes the car drive as smooth as factory with just a lil bump..

11-29-2006 02:04 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by rysskiiy3 »
      i went with GIAC and very impressed

X2

Vehicles
      '12 Volkswagen GTI, '07 Audi A3
      11-29-2006 02:14 PM #9
      I went APR 93 w/ DSG and was very impressed my the results...

Granted there is a small power loss because of it being a DSG so you wont get quite as impressive of gains as you would with a 6 speed... but you make up for that in the shifting ... sorry 6 speeds its the truth...

I went from ~184whp to ~206 whp and ~210 torque to ~260 torque...

Note: Assuming stock based off of other peoples stock dyno's... mine was done with the Evom's intake installed...

I also expect it to be even great once I get a TBE installed...

But again I definitly noticed a substantial difference... and it definitly put a grin on my face

Had/Have 1999.5 Jetta | 2006 GTI | 1991 GTI | 2004 A4 | 2008 R32 | 2012 GTI | 2012 Escape | 2007 A3

Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      Because inflammatory arguments based on meaningless speculation is what we do around here.

10. 11-29-2006 02:36 PM #10
      How do you get the 6hr test ?
      Do you need to go to an authorized dealer to get the temporary flash ?

Vehicles
      11-29-2006 02:39 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Michael A »
      How do you get the 6hr test ?
      Do you need to go to an authorized dealer to get the temporary flash ?

Any authorized APR Dealer should be able to give you the Trial Software which will convert back to stock after 6 hours...

When your trial is done you will revert back to APR Stock not VW Stock... just keep that in mind

Had/Have 1999.5 Jetta | 2006 GTI | 1991 GTI | 2004 A4 | 2008 R32 | 2012 GTI | 2012 Escape | 2007 A3

Because inflammatory arguments based on meaningless speculation is what we do around here.

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      11-29-2006 02:42 PM #12
      few people said after the trial the car feels even slower than it was stock
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

Vehicles
      11-29-2006 02:46 PM #13
      this was a big topic recently discusses in the technical forum that has now been black holed because of other issues but...

APR/GIAC/ReVO and other ECU Upgrade companies use a stock program that is as close to the original stock... so some things may be off by a little... there stock attempts to immitate as close as possible to the original stock...

i would not know because i just bought the APR 93 without hesitation

Vehicles
      indeed!
      11-29-2006 02:48 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by rysskiiy3 »
      few people said after the trial the car feels even slower than it was stock

I think someone just recently pulled stock and then post apr trial maps and the boost/timing levels were less after the trial. It was evident in the binary post-trial because the apr copyright was there or something.

I think it's in the fsi forum.

MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Vehicles
      11-29-2006 02:58 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
      I think someone just recently pulled stock and then post apr trial maps and the boost/timing levels were less after the trial. It was evident in the binary post-trial because the apr copyright was there or something.

thats bolluks... APR came on and said something about that but thats not what this thread is about...

APR Stock will differ from OEM Stock but not much... just because you cant get your OEM Stock file back unless you go through the dealer...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 MKV GTI - 2012 JSW
      11-29-2006 02:58 PM #16
      i've been told that matching the APR chip with their exhaust is the goldent ticket.
      the chip alone is good, but with the turbo-back exhaust it burns.

Vehicles
      11-29-2006 02:59 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by the travler »
      i've been told that matching the APR chip with their exhaust is the goldent ticket.
      the chip alone is good, but with the turbo-back exhaust it burns.

just waiting for there middle exhaust to be released

Vehicles
      indeed!
      11-29-2006 03:01 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by SnowboarderX216 »

thats bolluks... APR came on and said something about that but thats not what this thread is about...

APR Stock will differ from OEM Stock but not much... just because you cant get your OEM Stock file back unless you go through the dealer...

Oh, ok. I just glanced the thread, but the one person above, maybe two mentioned that the car was not as good as pre-trial. I'll bet they were just used to the gains!

MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

Vehicles
      11-29-2006 03:03 PM #19
      Oh, ok. I just glanced the thread, but the one person above, maybe two mentioned that the car was not as good as pre-trial. I'll bet they were just used to the gains!

It may not be quite as good but could also be a little better since once the car reverts back to the "Stock" program is a APR's version not OEM...

Also my guess would be used to the gains...

My suggestion is if your going to get the free trial make sure you have the money to buy the full version... because if your just going there for s & g's its not worth it unless you plan on buying the program if you like it...

20. 11-29-2006 04:14 PM #20

Although I have not driven her, my dealer has a GTI with the REVO flash...buddy of mine drove it and said it was OUTSTANDING compared to APR...hes a long time dubber so I trust his opinion...can anyone shed some light???

Also, is this s**t really true about the cars being different/slower than stock after the 5 hour trial? ot sure how this is possible but maybe some of you guys know....wouldnt REVO just copy the stock setup? If they can crack the codes fro the ECU to give gains, why wouldnt they just get thier hands on the default settings and reaaply them after the 5 hour trial?

Modified by the apex guy at 12:21 PM 11-29-2006

21. 11-29-2006 05:15 PM #21
      Hey guys, my 6 hour trial with the APR 93 chip just ended and I have to say I was quite unimpressed.

From my understanding the APR trial is watered down from the full blown upgrade...

Modified by reddvdub at 2:38 PM 11-29-2006

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI DSG
      11-29-2006 05:17 PM #22
      if anything, its the other way around.
      Unitronic Stage 2 93 / Unitronic DSG Stage 1 / Unitronic Downpipe / GFB DV+ / Golf R Intercooler / OEM LED Tinted Tails / Tyrolsport Deadset Collar Kits Front + Rear / Soundaktor Switch
      145 Video GTI Reference Library

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      11-29-2006 06:37 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by placenta »
      if anything, its the other way around.

Did you allow time for the ECU to adapt?

DSG should not be the issue...

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0T 6MT/96 Passat GLX VR6/ 87 Scirocco 16V
      11-29-2006 06:50 PM #24
      Maybe something wasnt installed right.. from the 3 dynoes of GIAC, REVO and APR.. the chip has made the most difference.. Try GIAC.. maybe you will like there program.

JT

Passat B6 6MT 2.0TFSI, Spork Pkg, Bixenons, Giac,EVOMS Intake, Neuspeed SS, NS Rear S B, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit, Peloquin LSD, VF Mounts, Forge DV and FMIC, 18x9 Wheels,Badgeless Grille, Hidef Rear Bumper/Spoiler/Tips, Votex Side, Abt Front lip..
      Passat B4 5MT GLX VR6. Moddified Intake Box with K&N Filter, Borla Muffler... more to come.

Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      11-29-2006 07:04 PM #25
      I have no expeirience yet with the GTI, chip will be done in the spring, but you will notice a dramatic difference when the 2.7 is chipped. dont be discouraged. Although a tiptronic does hurt the overall performance of the 2.7 you will feel large throttle response and torque gains throughout the rpm range....Had APR in my S4 and loved it even with the tip it was a large improvement over stock. Doesnt exhaust make a difference when chipped? if you are stock maybe the gains arent as noticeable. just a thought..

26. 11-29-2006 07:24 PM #26
      It took about 40 miles of driving before my APR chip adapted and felt way different.

27. 11-30-2006 02:34 PM #27
      Thanks guys for all of your input. I did have the chip for 6 hrs , and i drove over a 100 miles so im sure it had enough time to settle. After i written the review I got back in the car and noticed that there was a difference not a lot but some between stock and chipped. I have talked to the local GIAC dealer and have worked something out, so ill be going there sometime either today or tomorrow. Im not expecting a whole lot this time so i might be suprised. But to anyone that is thinking about getting their car chipped do the trials. So far the only ones that offer them are APR and REVO. Thanks again for the input guys.

Vehicles
      2015 Jetta Sport & 2010 Jetta SE
      11-30-2006 04:37 PM #28
      yes, chip the 2.7T and then when the Turbos go have fun pulling the engine to replace your Turbos...if you got bank thou, do it
      *****AMBER CluB*****
      Volkswagen Audi Group In North America

Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      11-30-2006 06:59 PM #29
      My S4 was chipped for 45,000 hard driven miles....never popped a turbo or had any engine or trans issues. there is always that chance but not every 2.7 had problems. Plus you gotta pay to play

30. 11-30-2006 07:07 PM #30

Oh my goodness! Trying to get over on the forums I don't follow, huh?

As explained by our Engineering Dept. Head and Vice President, the code differences posted by that company are not correct and are not representative of an APR tuned trial that has returned to stock. The maps are not the correct maps at all and don't even seem to be from the same car.

Just wanted to clear that up!

To the OP,

I find your experience to be very inconsistent with the rest of our client base and would like to invite you to take advantage of our current sale. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee and I will personally monitor the flash from here to ensure there are no issues with the install.

Keith

31. 11-30-2006 07:44 PM #31
      Hey buddy,
      I got APR stage 1 a few months again and I felt I difference(6M). I got Stage 2 the other and felt a huge power loss(I even posted about it). After I went home, I reset the program into chipped mode and the power back! Try switching to normal(if you got it) and then back. I think the chip needs to be reset after its upgraded. This may be completely wrong and just all in head, but I'll stand by APR.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI DSG
      11-30-2006 07:51 PM #32
      good trick, ill try it out.
      Unitronic Stage 2 93 / Unitronic DSG Stage 1 / Unitronic Downpipe / GFB DV+ / Golf R Intercooler / OEM LED Tinted Tails / Tyrolsport Deadset Collar Kits Front + Rear / Soundaktor Switch
      145 Video GTI Reference Library

Vehicles
      '07 GTI APR Stg II RIP. '09 C63 AMG Kleemann Stg II & 19" staggered Kleemann MS11s.
      11-30-2006 10:30 PM #33
      Man.....I'm happy with my APR 91

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI 4dr Sunroof/Nav
      11-30-2006 10:40 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by Keith@apr »

Oh my goodness! Trying to get over on the forums I don't follow, huh?

As explained by our Engineering Dept. Head and Vice President, the code differences posted by that company are not correct and are not representative of an APR tuned trial that has returned to stock. The maps are not the correct maps at all and don't even seem to be from the same car.

Just wanted to clear that up!

To the OP,

I find your experience to be very inconsistent with the rest of our client base and would like to invite you to take advantage of our current sale. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee and I will personally monitor the flash from here to ensure there are no issues with the install.

Keith

This is yet another reason APR earned my business, excellent customer service! Hoping to get chipped before the sale ends!!!

35. 12-09-2006 10:19 AM #35
      I have been researching the flashes for the past week. I called our local APR dealer (B&B) and the guy there thought his pooh didn't stink and said they don't need to offer the APR trial period. I was questioning the flash and it didn't seem as though the guy knew what he was talking about. He sounded like an older guy.

I have only seen a few dyno plots but none of them consisted of a base run or the A/F ratios. I just find it hard to swallow that the "flash" is identical for every car out there. What might make car a run perfect might have car b running lean. Since the APR dealer can't tweak it, you are stuck with that flash or get a refund.

AZ is fortunate to have APR, GIAC, REVO, and EVOtech. ECUTek neeeds to get involved with VW. They do wonders on the STi and EVO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast