Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here tried an Eaton M90 supercharger on their Corrado?

03-24-2002 08:09 PM #1
      I'm wondering if anyone has tryied the M90 Eaton supercharger as a replacement for their dead G Lader. If you have pics please post them. Thanks!

2. 03-24-2002 09:42 PM #2
      why would you do this?

rebuild your charger or go turbo
      eaton well they aren't the greatest for high PIS

03-24-2002 10:24 PM #3
      quote:
      why would you do this?

rebuild your charger or go turbo
      eaton well they aren't the greatest for high PIS

Simplicity is the main reason, I can always worry about high boost later. The turbo conversion doesn't enthrall me, and I want to get away from the G Lader. The M90 can be gotten for a good price, and I have an idea about getting better boost, but now I just need an M90 to work with....

4. 03-25-2002 03:05 PM #4
      Isn't a M90 too big for a G60?

5. 03-25-2002 11:14 PM #5
      quote:
      why would you do this?

Simplicity is the main reason, I can always worry about high boost later. The turbo conversion doesn't enthrall me, and I want to get away from the G Lader. The M90 can be gotten for a good price, and I have an idea about getting better boost, but now I just need an M90 to work with....

Adapting a one-off charger/turbo to work in place of the old snail grenade is anything but simple, Eaton kits have been developed/installed based on the M62 and have left many less than satisfied customers, the larger displacement charger won't solve the problems that the Eaton faces when it encounters pressure differentials north of the 10psi mark, take yello90g60's advice.

6. 03-25-2002 11:22 PM #6
      dyno in 3 weeks

7. 03-25-2002 11:33 PM #7
      quote:
      in place of the old snail grenade.

And lysholms aren't grenades? Weaver is out of a lot of cash because his lysholm blew. It's questionable if they are going to honor the warrantee.

Llew.

[Modified by G60Jetta2dr, 8:38 PM 3-25-2002]

03-26-2002 04:42 PM #8
      quote:

Adapting a one-off charger/turbo to work in place of the old snail grenade is anything but simple, Eaton kits have been developed/installed based on the M62 and have left many less than satisfied customers, the larger displacement charger won't solve the problems that the Eaton faces when it encounters pressure differentials north of the 10psi mark, take yello90g60's advice.

The M90 is rated to boost well up to 12,000 rpms constant, 14,000 intermittant. The G60 puts out more boost for less rpms, and can be ported with relative ease, but the reliablity issue is what I'm getting away from. I know a lot of people want to replace their G Laders because of that issue. Some people just can't find the money to put another G Lader back into their cars after it blows itself up like a suicide bomber, because they are rare, and everyone who has one for sale knows it and charges out the wazoo it them.

I am a machinist by trade, so doing that kind of work is no prob to me, and I plan on making conversion kits for others who want to do the same conversion. It's not like the work will be just for a one-off job. While the Eaton isn't as good as the G Lader, it is much more reliable, and still has potential, and they are fairly cheap to get. No G60 Corrado is fun to drive without a working supercharger, and this may prove to be a means for many people to re-supercharge their cars after the dreaded G60 boom! As for 10+ psi's, that's something I'll be working on, trying to figure out a porting operation for these chargers as well.....

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado
      03-26-2002 05:11 PM #9
      PROBABLY the best thing for the eaton is to keep at 10psi and
      raise the comp ratio. to 10.1-1 easly done . eaton still in it's eliment
      and the car is fun to drive again.

maybe someone will try a 2.0l ABA at 9.6-1 comp ratio stock
      and use the digifant and g60 head with the eaton.

[Modified by REPOMAN, 2:13 PM 3-26-2002]

500HP 1990 Cowrado
      Have a great Orwellian Day
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GKS...80UVORSMiYMNQg

10. Former Advertiser
      03-26-2002 05:37 PM #10
      quote:
      I know a lot of people want to replace their G Laders because of that issue. Some people just can't find the money to put another G Lader back into their cars after it blows itself up like a suicide bomber, because they are rare, and everyone who has one for sale knows it and charges out the wazoo it them.

kinda off topic, but if everyone put a few hundred bux into their charger for a $20 belt and a set of apex strips...there would be a crapload more chargers still functioning at 100%.
      This is why the prices for used chargers is still at a premium. Nobody takes the time or $ to maintain them...so the price of a used one soars

Vehicles
      1981 911 SC (for sale!), FT powered USP Avant, 1991 Vanagon Carat, Manual V70 T5 (wife's)
      03-26-2002 06:33 PM #11
      My M62 conversion has been going strong for about 25k miles now, no big problems, atleast not supercharger related. I'm getting 12psi at 3000 and I peak around 14-15psi. By the way, momentum motorsport got more than 250hp out of their eaton powered G60 using only 9 psi. don't quote me on that, but I believe those are the stats. Despite minor problems, I stand behind my set up.

12. 03-26-2002 06:54 PM #12
      hey, there is an m90 on ebay right now

13. 03-26-2002 10:55 PM #13
      I feel as though i'm being baited into something?, but i'll bite, what are the circumstances behind Weaver's mishap, and why is there a warranty question?

And as i recall, the Momentum/Rimmer car got a changed back to a fully modded BBM G-lader, and as for EC articles go, when they say things like the car reportedly..., or the owner states that..., that means that the author is letting you know he is about to stick his nose up that particular tuner's butt, who advertises on page whatever, and then print the hp/torque claims based on Shawn Van Neer's backside with enough plasible denyability to keep the rest of us guessing.

Hmmm, my therapist was right, being a raveing lunitic does make me feel better....LOL, hope nobody is too bent because of my warped sense of humor.

14. 03-26-2002 11:26 PM #14
      Swingwing205,

I need brackets...how much? I e-mailed you and may also be interested in your Rado...please send pics and details.

GameDay

Vehicles
      1981 911 SC (for sale!), FT powered USP Avant, 1991 Vanagon Carat, Manual V70 T5 (wife's)
      03-27-2002 12:24 AM #15
      how is your set up coming along Gameday?? I read that you got a Kompressor and planned on building a kit too?

16. 03-27-2002 01:38 AM #16
      I have 2 M62s that I an palying with right now (like I realy have any time )

17. 03-27-2002 01:49 AM #17
      I guess I should make a comment here, as I own the formerly Eaton supercharged, Momentum built G60 GTI. The article should have said we were hoping to get 250hp from the Eaton setup. After endless hours of tuning the car made 156hp @ the wheels. Not that much for a fully built G60. The Eaton was very disapointing and I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for the G60.
      Get a modified G60.

Kompressorrado, have you dynoed your car? I would be interested to know how much power you are making @ 15psi. With my car @ 13psi the eaton sounded like it was going to explode. It was much more powerful @ 9psi.

Mark

18. 03-27-2002 10:59 AM #18
      quote:
      I feel as though i'm being baited into something?, but i'll bite, what are the circumstances behind Weaver's mishap, and why is there a warranty question?

And as i recall, the Momentum/Rimmer car got a changed back to a fully modded BBM G-lader, and as for EC articles go, when they say things like the car reportedly..., or the owner states that..., that means that the author is letting you know he is about to stick his nose up that particular tuner's butt, who advertises on page whatever, and then print the hp/torque claims based on Shawn Van Neer's backside with enough plasible denyability to keep the rest of us guessing.

Hmmm, my therapist was right, being a raveing lunitic does make me feel better....LOL, hope nobody is too bent because of my warped sense of humor.

Hi Lysholm. Don't feel like your being baited. Weavers G-lader blew so he bought a Lysholm. A little while later the lysholm locked up. The reported initial response from BBM was the "Lysholm failed due to particle ingestion not covered under warranty." I don't think I was alone when I smelled the faint aroma of B S in the air. That's what I know of it.

On a different tack. I agree with your evaluation of ECs tuner coverage. Ads equal good reviews. That's the american magazine way. The British magazines used to be real good about it. They would run independent rolling road test. If the product was cr@p they would say it. It was so refreshing and good for the market place. It made the tuners that worked hard and put out a good product shine and weeded out the snake oil. We have far too many tuners that downplay dyno testing. As soon as they do I put my hand on my wallet to protect it and slowly back out of the room.

Hi 91g60gti, thanks for telling us about your car. Bummer that it didn't make the power you were looking for. What is it making now, using the G-lader?

Llew.

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      03-27-2002 11:29 AM #19
      something that I remember from all of the other discussions on this subject is that the eaton heated the air more than most of the other charger choices.

Vehicles
      03-27-2002 03:51 PM #20
      When everything was working right, and the engine was more or less stock besides the eaton, i was quicker than my buddy's SLC, which frankly was all i cared about. fastest car i've owned. i bought the eaton cheap and used and put it on a corrado that cost me $500 so i was happy. however, a year later i'm very wary of how fast that eaton is spinning and the heat issues. it's never been dynoed though.
      it's really dissapointing to hear that a magazine that i've read and trusted on a monthly basis for years now would put that kind of BS on their pages. 156whp! After all that engine work??? i never claimed i had the quickest set G60 but i figured I was putting that much to the ground with a more or less stock engine. wow.
      besides, I'm having huge problems with my car at the moment... see post...
      NOT GOOD.

03-27-2002 04:03 PM #21
      quote:
      something that I remember from all of the other discussions on this subject is that the eaton heated the air more than most of the other charger choices.

G60ING:

I'm not sure on the issue of the Eaton heating up the air charge. I can do something about that regardless, by using a charge air cooler. Yeah I know, it sounds like I'm shooting myself in the foot, but I don't think so for the reliablity and cost issue. 10 psi is supposed to be the safe boost area of the Eaton by many people's opinion, but let's rest on the specs laid out by the engineers that designed these chargers.
      The engineers aren't going by boost levels for their stating limits and specs of the chargers, but by the RPM's that the charger will be operating. For example, the M90 is supposed to be able to produce good boost safely operating all the way to 12,000 rpms continually, and for brief amounts of time to 14,000 rpms. I don't know about you, but those are really good specs and operating limits in my book. I don't plan to get over 10,000 rpms. Plus, no more G Lader BS. My G Lader is boosting well right now, but I want to get away from it because we all know that won't last forever, and I don't like working on my cars any more than I have to, because I'M LAZY

SlingshotG60:

I wrote a little something back on the G60 Syncro group, asking you to get back in touch with me about apex seals and some other stuff, but no hear back. I know I will replace the stuff in my G Lader, and do all the porting and BS to it via my work's CNC machine, but I don't want the eventual headache! All I need is to find someone who will seriously deal with me and get back in touch with me to sell me the parts I need

Gameday:

Hey, I'll drop you an IM. Please be watching for it, and PLEASE send me an e-mail to my home addy if something happens to the IM.

swingwing205@yahoo.de

My buddy's Kompressor conversion is coming along, and I think it'll be AWESOME! However, I think the the Eaton M90 might be a better choice than the E62 SLK Kompressor unit. Talk with you soon......

22. 03-27-2002 09:03 PM #22
      Swingwing,

I haven't received an IM from you, but I noticed my screen was trying to pop something up a couple of times. It may not be getting through because I have a 'pop-up' remover (annoying).

Anyway, please e-mail me at mmanahan123@yahoo.com, as I'm interested in the set0-up. Oh, how can I tell I have an M62 or M90? There's no serial codes.

Kompressorrado, I haven't hooked it up yet, and I have tried in vain to contact ORZ Motorsports about more info...apparently they have moved or are in-transit from Florida to Ohio? So, that's why I'm posting here.

I'd love to come up with a kit...I'll be the guinea pig, and maybe SNS Tuning and Swingwing could hook-up and offer a affordable kit!

GameDay

03-28-2002 04:09 PM #23
      Yeah, if you have a pop up remover, that'll take care of the IM I sent you. If you have pics of your SC please post them, or mail me to me after I drop you a line.
      I hope you have an M90 of a Ford SuperCoupe or Mercury XR7 supercharged (1991 to ?), because to fit the SLK Kompressor unit, the way I'm mounting the charger (not the way the ORZ kit was, very ugly), the pulley has to have a jackshaft made to extend to the area where the drive belt is. The M90 already has a nose extention, so that's one thing that won't need to be made. Plus, it's a bigger displacement unit, yet another plus. That jackshaft will be a PAIN to make, and it's a lot of work. The M90 kit should be quite a bit cheaper than the Kompressor kit for that reason, like $200 to $250 cheaper.

I did get your e-mail you sent the day before I told you I was going to write to you, and I will be dropping you a line. You have some options even at this point, and I'll explain them to you in that e-mail.....

24. 03-28-2002 07:56 PM #24
      Yeah i would think that anything short of a nut/bolt would mearly damage the lobes on any roots style to actually blow it sounds more like lost a rotor bearing timing gears etc., which actually brings up a couple of issues: 1) i wasn't increadably fond of the quality of the sand casted end housings on the Opcon unit, 2) the oil drain on the Autorotor likes the same 'no uphill' bends that we worry about w/ turbo drainage BBM's drain seems less than the spec, probably not a problem under most conditions but when your wailin' on it w/ a high psi pulley...well you get the concern there

25. 03-29-2002 01:48 AM #25
      Thanks man...look forward to hearing from you. I'll take pics by this weekend, and maybe that's help determine if it's an M90.

Thanks!
      GameDay

26. 03-31-2002 11:01 AM #26
      i bought the M90 on E-Bay for my 87 Jetta Coupe project.. I also have access to a full machine shop with CNC etc. and plan to hook this charger to a 1.8-16 block with a 2.0 Xflow head. I'd like to see some pics of current set-ups to save myself some time. Please keep me posted.

04-01-2002 09:12 AM #27
      Gameday, did you get my e-mail....... it was sent to cox.net or.com......

28. 04-02-2002 01:40 AM #28
      Swingwing,

I haven't received it, but I just e-mailed you so you could make sure you have my proper contact info.

Thanks!
      GameDay

04-03-2002 12:15 AM #29
      quote:
      Swingwing,

I haven't received it, but I just e-mailed you so you could make sure you have my proper contact info.

Thanks!
      GameDay

OK, I'll bne trying to resend the e-mail. Hang tight!

30. 04-04-2002 10:52 PM #30
      Swingwing,

Still haven't received it...did you get my e-mail?

Thanks!
      GameDay

Vehicles
      93 VR6 Corrado, 04 R32
      04-05-2002 08:07 PM #31
      Here are some pics I've found with eaton blowers mounted on a G60... I don't remember who did this or where I got the pic, but the setup looks clean!

[Modified by g60racer, 5:07 PM 4-5-2002]

Brendan Prout
      04 R32 121k miles
      93 VR6 Corrado 186k miles
      90 G60 Corrado 304k miles - RIP 2/12/11

32. Member
      04-05-2002 09:32 PM #32
      I believe those pics are of the Momentum built engine that was done for 91g60gti.
      Life begins at 101 kpa ...and so does poverty--Lugnuts Calhoun

04-07-2002 07:09 PM #33
      quote:
      Swingwing,

Still haven't received it...did you get my e-mail?

Thanks!
      GameDay

Gameday......I finally think I managed to get it out to you. I forwarded it to my other addy, and that's why you didn't get it. I think you can tell my computer expertise is about "short bus" level in advancement....

34. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Jetta VR6 (bone stock daily driver), 1982 twin screw Cabriolet, 94 Mazda B3000 4x4
      04-08-2002 06:28 PM #34
      quote:
      Kompressorrado, have you dynoed your car? I would be interested to know how much power you are making @ 15psi. With my car @ 13psi the eaton sounded like it was going to explode. It was much more powerful @ 9psi.
      Mark

Probably because the temps skyrocketed to 300F or somesuch with the Eaton at the elevated boost. The screw compressor is the most efficient all round supercharger IMHO. The only other more efficient choice would be a turbo...no point bolting on a less efficient device - esp with the amount of work involved getting it on there - the Eaton is less efficient than the G60.

The Eaton is more efficient than the Lysholm under part throttle however...

Peter Tong

35. 04-09-2002 10:55 PM #35
      quote:
      ...no point bolting on a less efficient device - esp with the amount of work involved getting it on there - the Eaton is less efficient than the G60.

The Eaton is more efficient than the Lysholm under part throttle however...

Peter Tong

very well said

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast