Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Here is what is left of my Rallye..............

Vehicles
      85 GTI 16v, 08 Golf
      12-05-2006 08:55 PM #106
      Quote, originally posted by vwtoys »
      Crazy stuff! Can the owner please pop some molds off of the panels and create some CF pieces for the less fortunate?

This would be the best time to create molds!

Someone already makes a fiberglass kit. Find out who it is, and make a custom order!

Vehicles
      93 Corrado SLC, 04 Kawasaki Ninja
      12-05-2006 08:56 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by 5speedT »
      Its not math..ITS COMMON SENSE!!!

I think you did the right thing for yourself and the car.

Math is the most common sense of all

3. 12-05-2006 08:56 PM #108
      as far as legality goes

tell me..

how would they know the difference between the original rallye and the u.s. gti you will be putting all the parts onto?

once everything is put together and painted, it will appear exactly the same as the one you sent to have crushed, but will show a u.s vin

point is, you could get in just as much trouble with the new car you are building as you could had you just switched vins over

its a ****ing 20 year old volkswagen, remove door jam sticker carefully and reapply to rallye, remove complete raintray and put in rallye, etc

they arent going to go insane trying to prove its incorrect

i could NOT bring myself to cut up a rallye, its a piece of history and probably the best damn production vw ever made.

Modified by stripped_gti at 5:57 PM 12-5-2006

4. 12-05-2006 08:59 PM #109
      The above poster does have a point. Seems pretty stupid to me.

5. 12-05-2006 09:08 PM #110
      LOL @ all the VIN-swappers

6. 12-05-2006 09:10 PM #111
      Quote, originally posted by NVmyVW »
      Were gonna have a lot of fun

You don't even know I can't wait.......

7. 12-05-2006 09:11 PM #112
      Quote, originally posted by brilliantyellowg60 »
      LOL @ all the VIN-swappers

its a 20 year old volkswagen
      you think they are gonna put the FBI on the case?

if anything, respond to this
      "point is, you could get in just as much trouble with the new car you are building as you could had you just switched vins over"

8. 12-05-2006 09:13 PM #113
      Some people are saying that it won't be a rallye anymore...

I think thats rubish. Because lets say there was a rallye that was in a massive accident. One which required the roof to be chopped off and another to be welded on. One which required a new hatch, hood, and a new G60. In which all the donor parts were given from a GTi, it would be insane to say that the car is not a rallye because it had to be chopped and re-welded. And let's say the owner decided to give a semi spaceframe with carbon body panels. Wouldn't it still be a sick rallye? I think so.

I think the OP may take some serious steps to make this new car a SICK rallye with better chassis reinforcement and bracing than could have ever come legally in the original rallye in the 80's. The rallye was intended for motorsport and as long as he's carrying on with the them, it looks like a rallye, and it has syncro. To me. It's a rallye.

GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      98 ginster gti, 09 JSW TDI
      12-05-2006 09:13 PM #114
      You guys bitch way to much. What he's doing is not illegal. It's perfectly within his rights. It's the same thing as putting a JDM Integra front clip on a USDM car. Technically it's not the samething as an actual jdm teggy but it looks all the same.

Modified by Rev Jerry at 6:14 PM 12-5-2006

10. 12-05-2006 09:15 PM #115
      Quote, originally posted by stripped_gti »

its a 20 year old volkswagen
      you think they are gonna put the FBI on the case?

if anything, respond to this
      "point is, you could get in just as much trouble with the new car you are building as you could had you just switched vins over"

Nah it was the the DOT and US Customs that were "on the case"

Respose: It's a US spec car with US spec bumper rebar and fancy fenders and AWD

Other than the headlights (maybe i'll run dual rounds) everything is US DOT approved For you to say that you dont know my other cars

Modified by brilliantyellowg60 at 9:16 PM 12-5-2006

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI, Mk1 TT, Q5
      12-05-2006 09:21 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by VW Tuna »

Someone already makes a fiberglass kit. Find out who it is, and make a custom order!

I'm aware of that. But the fiberglass kit is from Europe. A NA source for the panels would be nice though.

12. 12-05-2006 09:23 PM #117

Nah it was the the DOT and US Customs that were "on the case"

Respose: It's a US spec car with US spec bumper rebar and fancy fenders and AWD

Other than the headlights (maybe i'll run dual rounds) everything is US DOT approved For you to say that you dont know my other cars

Modified by brilliantyellowg60 at 9:16 PM 12-5-2006

yellow raddo pics kevin.. PLZ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapplegti ! View Post
      Brand enthusiasts are idiots.
      Klutch Republik - Live Fast , Drive Hard
      SCCH Cylinder Heads & Suspension Components
      OSD #16

13. Member
      12-05-2006 09:24 PM #118
      You don't even know I can't wait.......

This thread is gonna be a lot of pages

14. Member
      12-05-2006 09:26 PM #119
      Quote, originally posted by vwtoys »
      Crazy stuff! Can the owner please pop some molds off of the panels and create some CF pieces for the less fortunate?

This would be the best time to create molds!

kev, what'd i tell you

vwtoys: money talks
      I imagine everyone wants rallye parts, but noone is willing to pay, that would be the showstopper in getting your hands on some panels...if you can get some cash together, holla at me and i might be able to lend a hand

15. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      12-05-2006 09:29 PM #120
      Importing a Rallye 100% will cost in excess of $10-15,000 on top of the cost of the car.

Shippnig charges, import fees at the port (daily storage, searches by hand, with dogs, with X-Ray machines), transportation costs via a bonded carrier to a Registered Importer.

Once at the Registered Importer they can basically charge you WHATEVER THEY WANT - and they do. $5,000 (or more) to install US Spec head lights, seatbelts, and an instrument cluster?...you better believe it! Oh, and you say where is the RI going to get the US Spec parts to install? The dealer. Ever call them to see how much an instrument cluster costs?

Think you can save a few $$$ by doing the work yourselves? Think again. You can't touch the car.

And don't forget the Rallye headlights, taillights, cluster, seatbelts, and maybe even bumpers are not US Spec and the Registered Importer is required by law to destroy them in the importation process.

And all the above is JUST for the DOT approval. The EPA approval process is a whole different ball game. To legally import a Rallye it needs EPA certification....and NOT A SINGLE RALLYE IN THE USA has had that done. It costs $5,000 and they put the Rallye on a dyno in a sealed changer, use special gas and run the car for several hours, and then continue testing for 24 hours after the car is shut off to test for fuel vapor. IF the car fails? You pay another $5,000 and have it tested again....

IF a Rallye had been certified by the EPA previously, the engine code/unibody combination would be on recored already and you wouldn't have to do the above....but as of right now, its not.

All the above is from 1st hand knowledge.....

[QUOTE=VW_IS_life]sound like it would have cost much to make it legal? QUOTE]

Vehicles
      '89 AC-130W
      12-05-2006 09:31 PM #121
      Quote, originally posted by Shawn O »
      NOT A SINGLE RALLYE IN THE USA has had that done.

there are 2, but both are USDM spec Rallye prototypes that VW made.

Vehicles
      91 GTi VR6-t, 91 Jetta Carrat
      12-05-2006 09:33 PM #122
      Enough with the Drama!...

Let's see the chopping/welding/building begin

18. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      12-05-2006 09:33 PM #123
      Incorrect. VW imported those cars using the existing EPA certification for the Corrado G60 engine code. The "US Spec" Rallye's in fact had Corrado engines, not true Rallye ones. They did that to avoid the test process I mentioned above.

VW classified the Rallye engine as completely different than the Corrado (it is - slightly smaller displacement because of forced induction homologation rules at the time for racing) and it has a different engine code and the EPA and DOT know this.

Quote, originally posted by TRLSTYLE »

there are 2, but both are USDM spec Rallye prototypes that VW made.

Modified by Shawn O at 8:48 PM 12-5-2006

Vehicles
      91 MK2 Nazi Box, 06 Honda 600RR, 05 G35 Coupe 6MT
      12-05-2006 09:48 PM #124
      Quote, originally posted by JettaGL_1.8T »

Seriously, did you read any part of the thread? After the three year battle that Kev has waged with the feds, and with how much heat this car brought down, you would have to be insane to try that now. If you think they're not going to go over that pile of metal with a fine tooth comb, looking for mismatched VINs, you're kidding yourself. No car is worth felony charges.

Yes i did read this thread, every part, and nothing was made clear AT ALL as to what happend..

Quote, originally posted by stripped_gti »

as far as legality goes

tell me..

how would they know the difference between the original rallye and the u.s. gti you will be putting all the parts onto?

once everything is put together and painted, it will appear exactly the same as the one you sent to have crushed, but will show a u.s vin

point is, you could get in just as much trouble with the new car you are building as you could had you just switched vins over

its a ****ing 20 year old volkswagen, remove door jam sticker carefully and reapply to rallye, remove complete raintray and put in rallye, etc

they arent going to go insane trying to prove its incorrect

i could NOT bring myself to cut up a rallye, its a piece of history and probably the best damn production vw ever made.

This is what im getting at, please tell me how they would comb for unmatched vin numbers when EVERY single part on the US gti, is from a rallye? its going to be the exact same car on a different frame, if cars had DNA, that would be the only way to tell the difference..

laying the smack down from MA for 15 years
      Vehicles
      '14 Cdale Carbon Synapse, '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      12-05-2006 09:49 PM #125
      heehee... Shawn come in with the smack for the whippersnappers

21. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      12-05-2006 09:51 PM #126
      They are automotive professionals who investigate VIN fraud and non DOT compliance on very high levels for a living.

Do you not think it would be obvious to them if a few VIN plates were switched?

Maybe I'll cheat on my tax returns next year. The IRS doesn't really check the numbers on my tax forms, do they?

Get a clue buddy.

Modified by Shawn O at 9:03 PM 12-5-2006

Vehicles
      12-05-2006 10:03 PM #127
      People get away with VIN fraud everyday, not that i care that he chopped it up, its not my car and i will never own a rallye, so i could care less, im just wondering about some things. an example...

Quote, originally posted by Internet »

A rash of stolen cars with cloned VINs or Vehicle Identification Numbers is becoming a growing national problem. VIN cloning occurs when the VIN of a stolen vehicle is replaced with the VIN of a similar vehicle.

The crooks are able to get away with this scam because states don't share this type of information with one another. So a thief could get a VIN in one state and place it on a number of similar stolen cars then sell those cars in different states. It's not unusual for one VIN to be cloned and used on three or four stolen cars.

Certain high line vehicles are often targets for VIN cloning like Cadillac Escalade, BMW X5, Mercedes ML 320, Toyota 4-Runner and Nissan Pathfinder. Other SUVs are also very popular cloning targets. Be especially careful when buying cars from Canada. There is a lot of VIN cloning going there.

wow, certainly couldnt happen on a 20 year old vw then huh?

Modified by ABA Jetta II at 9:05 PM 12-5-2006

23. 12-05-2006 10:16 PM #128
      That's quite the undertaking. You have balls, sir. Posting pics of a cut-up rallye on this forum... HUGE BALLZ.

Can't wait to see the progress!

OSD #26 - "Because he's thirsty... Dummy."

Vehicles
      12-05-2006 10:16 PM #129
      Quote, originally posted by Shawn O »
      They are automotive professionals who investigate VIN fraud and non DOT compliance on very high levels for a living.

Do you not think it would be obvious to them if a few VIN plates were switched?

Maybe I'll cheat on my tax returns next year. The IRS doesn't really check the numbers on my tax forms, do they?

Get a clue buddy.

Modified by Shawn O at 9:03 PM 12-5-2006

Get a clue? wow, so since there is people who investigate vin fraud that means NOONE can get away with it right? like i said people do everyday.

thats like saying since there are professional law enforcers in every city in the U.S. that NO ONE gets away with crime right? oh wow thats right, people do every frickin second only 11,556,854 crimes last year in the US.. hmm, truth is, he coulda got away with it pretty damn easy i bet, but im not gonna argue anymore on this, its all said and done already, I just wanna see the build up thread can we agree on that?

Modified by ABA Jetta II at 9:24 PM 12-5-2006

25. 12-05-2006 10:17 PM #130
      that was my favorite mk2........ Im sure it will be just as nice at some point

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      12-05-2006 10:35 PM #131
      Quote, originally posted by ABA Jetta II »
      Get a clue? wow, so since there is people who investigate vin fraud that means NOONE can get away with it right? like i said people do everyday.

Are you listening to yourself? Let it go man...

Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      12-05-2006 10:47 PM #132
      Seriously, did you read any part of the thread?

Are you listening to yourself? Let it go man...

Wow hypocrite huh? asking me if i even read the post, did you even read it? or else you woulda read this..

Quote, originally posted by ABA Jetta II »

but im not gonna argue anymore on this, its all said and done already, I just wanna see the build up thread can we agree on that?

Damn, quote central...

Modified by ABA Jetta II at 9:54 PM 12-5-2006

Vehicles
      2003 JB 20th
      12-05-2006 10:56 PM #133
      Its not like he wanted to cut the car up. Don't you think he tried to keep it intact? He couldn't keep it intact with out doing something ILLEGAL . They were going to take it regardless. What would you do if they were going to take your Rallye?

Vehicles
      5 VW's, TJ, and a Fiat
      12-05-2006 10:58 PM #134
      It's a shame the state of NY and the feds gave you such a headache, I know the rebuild will be fantastic but still a PITA

Vehicles
      12-05-2006 10:58 PM #135
      Quote, originally posted by ginster vr6 »
      Its not like he wanted to cut the car up. Don't you think he tried to keep it intact? He couldn't keep it intact with out doing something ILLEGAL . They were going to take it regardless. What would you do if they were going to take your Rallye?

Yeah if i woulda known they were gonna seize the car(that is the case right?) then yes, simple answer would be to cut it up, no way they would get all those good parts

31. 12-05-2006 11:00 PM #136
      so the 2 rallyes that VWoA imported, do they actually have rallye headlighst or DOT approved rounds or whatever?

12-05-2006 11:02 PM #137

Vehicles
      2003 JB 20th
      12-05-2006 11:03 PM #138
      Quote, originally posted by VW_IS_life »
      so the 2 rallyes that VWoA imported, do they actually have rallye headlighst or DOT approved rounds or whatever?

I beleive they had Rallye/Corrado hybrid lights.

34. 12-05-2006 11:07 PM #139
      Quote, originally posted by ginster vr6 »
      I beleive they had Rallye/Corrado hybrid lights.

very interesting has there been any actual pics of these cars ever published?

35. 12-05-2006 11:17 PM #140
      Quote, originally posted by SoCal_GLI »

seconded.

edit: plus page ownage until half this thread gets deleted because it's a bunch of 17 year olds trying to show off their "legal" e-penises.

Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast