VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The everything Land Rover thread.

712K views 940 replies 194 participants last post by  BRealistic 
#1 ·
This forum is starting to die out you can hear the crickets...
So I decided to start a Rover appreciation thread. I believe that they are some of the best offroaders out there, of course I'm biased

Here are a couple of my 94 RRC

And others

More for later
enjoy

See less See more
#554 ·
As someone who has been around a lot of ROTW Rovers, I wouldnt do it without someone that you know and trust to check it out. Cannot see the crossmembers, frame, door bottoms, bimetal corrosion, turbo health, if it is a 200tdi or a 2.5 turbo (the latter being not so reliable), if its a true 85 or an "85", etc...

The ROTW 90s have a bulkhead behind the seats that severely limits any room for the driver and make for a terribly uncomfortable positioning. I know some people who can help get eyes on one if youre interested. The Brits know that their farm implements are now eligible for import and are slapping shiny paint jobs on their worst garbage and sending it over to eager buyers who are mostly disappointed by the results.

#563 ·
well i guess im a sucker for punishment also... :sly: joined the club last night....

97 manual discovery, power windows/mirrors/cruise/power locks all work, a/c and it works, manual cloth seats, no sunroofs, big cargo rack, hitch and trailer wiring, i bought it from the 2nd owner with all receipts since new. tires have a lot of life left, no rust anywhere (its been a washington/california/mexico car as the first owners owned it until last summer and drove/moved all over the place)
also came with the full 1997 service manual printed out in a (huuuge) binder - they took it for one last "expedition" to mexico before selling it and i think they printed the manual for that.

looks just like this guy but with chunkier tires and a rack

so far it made the trip home fine :laugh:

#564 ·
I joined the club on the 23rd, took my friend and former classic owner VR6GURU with me to to check out the truck. A few little issues but no deal breakers.

Had a CEL that kept popping back up after being cleared when i picked it up. Changed out the plugs and wires as well as cleaning the maf and the throttle body sorted that issue. Took it to get it smoged last friday, passed with flying colours. Hit up AAA on saturday, got the registration transferred and that was that. Wanted to take it up a local trail here in socal called the Rincon-Shortcut but apparently its closed. Since we had made the drive up the canyon we took the truck out to the OHV area and played around a bit. A good time was had by all.

#567 ·
Man, you guys are tempting me so bad... I'm a glutton for punishment myself. If my W124 doesn't bankrupt me I'd love to find a base Disco 1 (manual 'box) or a RR Classic to bomb around in for the winter and on vacation in OBX. :beer:

#570 ·
Went out wheeling with some of the SCLR guys on sunday up in the San Bernardino National Forest near Big Bear. Played with the new gopro camera i picked up, need to work on positioning and making sure the lens is kept clean. Straight out of the camera with no editing, so not all that exciting but its something:

Not bad for the first time out on some real trails.. Here's one of the other trucks in the group going down one of the trickier spots on the trail:

#577 ·
I have not gone through the whole thread, but have read some other postings. Going to look at an '87 RR - looks good in pics and tempted by a manual '95 Disco. From what I have read, the '87 might be a good deal if the guy maintained it and there is minimal rust.

#582 ·
It was a D1 - guy decided to keep it. He has a a Defender as well and thought he was going to let it, but decided to keep. Bummer :beer:

I keep reading that how much maintenance is required, but it sounds like a 87-90 RRC is ideal or a Disco I. Is that a fair assessment?

#584 ·
There isnt a whole lot of difference between the D1 and the RRC. The D1 is based on the RRC. My personal choice, early RRC over D1 any day. Only drawback to the RRC is the heater core. Thats about it. It is less electrical so itll be less of a headache. The 14CUX system is ridiculously simple and youre not going to really have to worry about head gaskets since thats a later motor issue.

#585 · (Edited)
I "could possibly" be tempted to sell/trade my '95 RRC on 33's/3.5"lift/GB double Cardon shafts front and rear... everything works. new rad, alt, and rot free.

any good articles on swivel maintainence? mine were upgraded to Discos up front by PO. I just want to keep an eye on them. pass side may need snugged and i don't know anything about them.

#587 ·
The BIG difference between the RRC and the D1 for me are the transfer cases. In my modest opinion the Borg Warner viscous coupling system isn't nearly as hearty as the traditional/conventional LT230 t-case found in the all D1s and certain D2s (with or w/o range selector). I've yanked and tugged a few RRCs off and out of trails because of a RTC6044 VC failure. If that thing goes south you will have have no-wheel drive. However, a relatively easy and simple thing to do is swap the LT230 t-case into your RRC because as mentioned earlier the underpinnings are essentially the same.

#588 ·
Oh yeah, 89 or earlier all day long. Theyre tough to find but I like them more. The 3.5/ 3.9 is relatively more reliable than the 4.0/ 4.6 when it comes to head gaskets and motor issues. Something about being given more time to age before being thrown into trucks. By the time the 4.0/ 4.6 was out, they were cranking out the trucks pretty quickly. Its not a guarantee but its rarer to here about 3.5/ 3.9 issues.

A little while ago, I found a guy in California selling, half heartedly so it kind of went nowhere when I inquired, his 83 RR 4 door. That early, it was the LT95, 3.5 w/ carbs and basically a Series truck with 4 fuses. I wanted it bad but it just kind of faded away with the owner starting the conversation and then letting it die. I wouldve shipped that thing across country in a second, undercoated, a little lift and been done. Probably wouldve kept it too (unlike all the other trucks Ive owned).

#589 · (Edited)
^^^I agree. There is something very right with the early vertical slat grill/carbed/5 spd non-US Rangies. Although, I'd like the three door in the mustard or pale green color with wholly impractical wing mirrors.

To this day I would love to own a RRC SWB built as a mild compliment to my D1. A nice white '95soft dash with a mild lift, factory alloys (preferably the Boost wheels), and a set of 245/75-16 A/T tires. It's the last of the first RRs, with a slightly more refined interior, and the 3.9 with a dizzy. Sure it has the BW VC juice box in it, but I have the D1 if I want to row through the 4's of a traditional t-case. :heart:

p.s.

Francis Younghusband went on an expedition. Im just a truck camper.
:thumbup::beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.