Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The everything Land Rover thread.

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      01-09-2010 06:51 PM #386
      Veeddy nice!

What's the maintenance been like since getting it?

I installed a new marelli (rebuilt) alternator into my RRCC this afternoon. Seems like it's been the source of my problems.

However, I definitely need a new air flow meter.

be brave and be kind.

Vehicles
      03 325i
      01-11-2010 10:33 AM #387
      Just bought a 96 Disco with 101k on it for tow duty. Took four hours to get the one rear brake done (needed a rotor which isn't easy around rusty bolts!). Seems like it'll be a great truck.
      -Paul
      1995 GTI VR6 - Retired - 12.90@106 R32 power - 12.833@106 12v power
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning
      MK3 Race Car Partout

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      02-06-2010 01:23 PM #388
      Can't be stopped.

VW/Audi/German Car T-Shirts - CHEAP ----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82955767

Vehicles
      2001 Golf GLS 1.8T
      02-12-2010 02:13 AM #389
      God why did I open this thread..... I miss my Epsom Green D1.

rcr_x - your Disco looks proper with them steelies, I am liking the D2 headlights.
      You got quite the bargain. Bonus 5spd, cloth seats, rack, sunroof delete!!! I love it!

Do a hood black in the center to cover up that nasty fade and you are set.

Modified by jpcallmotor at 1:22 AM 2-12-2010

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      03-25-2010 01:50 AM #390
      finally got my rangie up and running properly. learned a lot along the way, but still am green when it comes to being shade tree mechanic.

I developed a nasty hot start problem. Started with ignition (orange, and weak) and purchased distributor, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and ignition amplifier. That didn't solve it.

bought coolant temp sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump (used). Finally gave in and bought a fuel pressure gauge and hooked it up to the fuel rail. Rail indicated 20psi, well below standard spec. Bought a new fuel pump, and she has been running great!

Now that she runs, I can start working on her brakes, cooling system, oil leaks, suspension and other things that don't work (rear door, rear defroster, pass. side mirror, etc.)

It's good to have a running Rover

be brave and be kind.

6. 05-03-2010 10:52 AM #391
      yes d1's make a 5speed

yes it had duel automatic sunroofs. it was an se7 fully loaded, leather fully automatic ect.

thanks to everyone who thought my truck looked clean. (that first pic was right after a wash n wax) normally it looks just like every other black off roader door dings and scratches galore lol.

and the guy with the pics of his black disco on the beach. awesome! i took ours out on the obx beach all the time.

and guys the snow pics are awesome. here in harrisburg PA, this past winter was a blast for the disco
      thanks guys, i enjoyed the truck alot and ive always wanted one. but i did end up selling it. i got myself back into another b5 s4... yes i have an addiction... its the b5 s4. . anyway. by the time i sold it i had a safarigard winch bumper on the front

Modified by Yesmar at 7:55 AM 5-3-2010

Modified by Yesmar at 7:56 AM 5-3-2010

7. 05-03-2010 08:54 PM #392
      ^nice
      club Grim Water
      "When there's no more room in Hell"

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      05-10-2010 05:54 PM #393
      mine will hopefully be gone tonight.

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      05-21-2010 04:59 PM #394
      Quote Originally Posted by SuperGroove View Post
      mine will hopefully be gone tonight.
      That didn't last long.
      :p
      VW/Audi/German Car T-Shirts - CHEAP ----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82955767

Vehicles
      2007 VW Rabbit
      05-29-2010 03:03 AM #395
      Hey can you guys help me out, My father owns a LR3 and i've been looking to surprise him with some minor/mid modifications anyone know a few good web sites on the newer Rover parts
      (BTW never tried off roading the LR3 but i have in a '01 4Runner SR5 had a lot of fun, and i snow tracked my MKV surprisingly the all seasons did pretty good in responding to corrective steering i just needed more clearance i was plowing snow i'm dropped a bit )
      ///BAR ...................... Brooklyn Auto Rennen
      CCCP Dubbin Ain't Easy
      GOT Carrots ?
      Point & Shoot Photography You know you want it

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      05-30-2010 11:54 AM #396
      Quote Originally Posted by BkzTim88 View Post
      Hey can you guys help me out, My father owns a LR3 and i've been looking to surprise him with some minor/mid modifications anyone know a few good web sites on the newer Rover parts
      (BTW never tried off roading the LR3 but i have in a '01 4Runner SR5 had a lot of fun, and i snow tracked my MKV surprisingly the all seasons did pretty good in responding to corrective steering i just needed more clearance i was plowing snow i'm dropped a bit )

www.roverparts.com

Vehicles
      RIP: 97 Vento VR6 Euro lowered Climatronic; Range V8 tube/mud 4x4 beast
      06-07-2010 02:59 PM #397
      It's not pretty anymore, but I win trials competitions with it! You shoulda seen it pristine when I bought it. The PO was the kind of guy that notes every fillup, oil change etc. It was almost like new, and very little rust.

A year or so ago, before the big rollover incident:

After the rollover:

Undergoing top removal:

Current state, still very much a work in progress:

But finished enough to compete or get firewood now.
      French dude neben Deutschland. Das Leben beginnt mit 5 Zylinder, 150 PS, Crapmo' stank malt licky. Das Bardle Doo?

13. 06-19-2010 03:22 PM #398

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Np9G8emtIk

Found out I had a big hole in my floorboard when I drove through that river:-) Filled my truck up pretty good haha.

Vehicles
      06-19-2010 03:36 PM #399
      Quote Originally Posted by HighFructoseCornSyrp View Post
      Found out I had a big hole in my floorboard when I drove through that river:-) Filled my truck up pretty good haha.
      The only good Classic is a muddy one! Yep, floorboards rust pretty bad. I had to hack out a bit of mine and weld in new steel. Now that it's a buggy I'm only going to weld in SS anymore. I need to buy a SS spool, and another gas bottle first.
      French dude neben Deutschland. Das Leben beginnt mit 5 Zylinder, 150 PS, Crapmo' stank malt licky. Das Bardle Doo?

15. 06-19-2010 03:53 PM #400
      I'd like to stick a Mercedes 300D in the Classic pictured above...I have several other vehicles so this is just my toy really. If I have the engine and am willing to fab up some engine mounts, what is the major impediment to doing so? I am new to this kind of thing, but I enjoy working on stuff. I see it as kind of a puzzle so difficulty is actually a bit of a plus because it forces me to learn something new.

What do you think? What will be difficult about putting a 300D into a Classic?

16. 06-19-2010 03:57 PM #401
      I thought about welding my floorboard, but was in a hurry for a camping trip. So, I got a piece of gas station fascia (part aluminum part plastic board basically), cut it to fit the floor board, and pop riveted it in. After that, I used bathroom caulk and sealed the living crap out of all the edges of the new floorboard panel. It is surprisingly watertight. As a plus, it quieted down the noise in the cab when driving on the highway:-)

Vehicles
      06-22-2010 03:57 AM #402
      Quote Originally Posted by HighFructoseCornSyrp View Post
      What do you think? What will be difficult about putting a 300D into a Classic?
      Should work if you grab the trans and TC from a benz G. Then you only need to fab up mounts and linkages, and get custom driveshafts. Else you have to make benz motor to RR trans, would only be feasible if you have the ZF automatic, because benz used that too. But you'd have to revalve the trans to shift lower.

LR put many different motors in RRs including the dreaded PRV V6 and a monster 6cyl diesel atmo. Pretty rare, but I have seen both with my eyes.

A popular swap is the 6.2L diesel V8 from GM pickups using a THD400.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      golf gti turbo
      07-16-2010 11:26 AM #403
      Quote Originally Posted by VRsexxy View Post
      My buddy Joe's Disco on the Cleghorn Trail Thanksgiving weekend...

Modified by VRsexxy at 2:16 PM 1-10-2008

looks like fun

Vehicles
      Some Germans, a Brit, an Austrian, and a Yank
      07-16-2010 12:09 PM #404
      I have been many places except Cleghorn. One of these days.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      1966 Mercedes Benz 200D, 1991 BMW 325i, 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 1968 Jeepster, 1989 Range Rover
      07-20-2010 11:48 AM #405
      My 89 RRC... currently parked as i'm undergoing a engine swap... putting a 350 in this bad boy, should be pretty boss after that. Only reason i'm swapping is the block cracked after i lent the truck to my brother for a snowboard trip, and he let it overheat once.... Damn aluminum blocks!!

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      07-20-2010 05:51 PM #406
      Had to get a new radiator and fan clutch for my Disco 1.It was flowing at less than 30%. Started to overheat and luckily didn't crack anything or blow the headgasket. OEM radiator is over $600 from AB, dealer wants $1000. Not paying that.

Found one out in OK. $365 shipped from http://www.rovercannibal.com/rover/.

Shelled out over $1000 for radiator, fan clutch, power steering hoses, fluids, and labor.

I pretty much replaced every single part on the motor. It should run forever now.

22. 07-28-2010 11:21 PM #407
      hey all -

Hoping to get a little insight. Wanting to pick up a truck for work and occasional off-road (nothing too serious, fireroads/trails), been seriously looking at discos, more around 03/04 discos. Really wish I could get a Defender and if it was in price range I wouldn't be asking stupid questions, just making posts saying "look at my Defender!"

Are they as bad as everyone makes them out to be? I've been doing a bit of research and apparenty the head gaskets blow every 20k, they overheat by sitting in the driver seat, the front diff will explode and take the trans out every 15k, electrics (it's british this is the only part that I believe...) and so on...

As a VW guy, primarily A1/A2, is this a feasible investment? I love the look and idea but I already spend enough time tinkering w/ VWs I don't really want to have another project (other than planned ones, unplanned projects suck). Can they been a feasible DD if maintained or are they just a permanent time bomb?

Vehicles
      07-29-2010 04:27 AM #408
      Quote Originally Posted by PintSized View Post
      hey all -

Hoping to get a little insight. Wanting to pick up a truck for work and occasional off-road (nothing too serious, fireroads/trails), been seriously looking at discos, more around 03/04 discos. Really wish I could get a Defender and if it was in price range I wouldn't be asking stupid questions, just making posts saying "look at my Defender!"

Are they as bad as everyone makes them out to be? I've been doing a bit of research and apparenty the head gaskets blow every 20k, they overheat by sitting in the driver seat, the front diff will explode and take the trans out every 15k, electrics (it's british this is the only part that I believe...) and so on...

As a VW guy, primarily A1/A2, is this a feasible investment? I love the look and idea but I already spend enough time tinkering w/ VWs I don't really want to have another project (other than planned ones, unplanned projects suck). Can they been a feasible DD if maintained or are they just a permanent time bomb?
      2003 Discos don't have the center locking diff and have Electronic Traction Control (ETC), Active Hill Decent, and Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) system which replaced the usual antiroll bars with hydraulic rams, to reduce body lean in hard turns. All of these overcomplicated systems make the '03 models less desirable. In 2004 LR dumped all of the e-nanny on/off road garbage and reverted back to old fashioned mechanical stuff like the CDL and sway bars. 2004 Discos are either good or terrible. My friend had an '04 which was plagued by more problems than my '97 ever had. I've had my Disco for seven years and as a whole it has been an excellent daily, but time is not on my side and things are going to need to be looked over and replaced preventatively.

Know that you will tinker like an Mk2, on a vehicle that is simple to enough to work on with parts that can be expensive when purchased new. Luckily for us, parts are relatively abundant at junk yards and on enthusiast sites (similar to Vortex), albeit pricier for the last of the Discos like the '04. If I were to liken them to a VW product I would say they're like VR6 Corrados. You take the good with the bad.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      07-29-2010 05:17 AM #409
      ...apparenty the head gaskets blow every 20k, they overheat by sitting in the driver seat, the front diff will explode and take the trans out every 15k, electrics (it's british this is the only part that I believe...) and so on...
      - I beat my RR V8 hard and have never lost a head gasket, never heard of that problem.
      - No overheating either except once stuck in very deep snow trying to power thru it. That's kind of my fault, stupid macho driving. I saw the temp gauge rising, no damage.
      - The front diff is as solid as the rear, lol, they are the same diff! Both are sturdy but if you spin one tire a lot the spider cages can wear a bit, get a locker or spin less. Look for beef-up parts from a UK business called Ashcroft Transmissions. An LR axle can be as strong as a Dana 44.
      - Auto trans are solid too, made by ZF, and as good as your maintenance. Install a temp gauge and synth ATF. No problems with mine.
      - Electrics are not a strong point. Switches seem to have been designed by drunk monkeys. I avoid all the high-zoot crap on any LR and stick with basics to avoid electrical issues. Had to chance to buy a loaded Disco cheap, with dual sunroofs and all options, turned it down. Now I am buying a simpler one (still has AC) as a tow rig.

That's all folks

Vehicles
      07-29-2010 05:29 AM #410
      Quote Originally Posted by ZLandrum View Post
      My 89 RRC... currently parked as i'm undergoing a engine swap... putting a 350 in this bad boy, should be pretty boss after that. Only reason i'm swapping is the block cracked after i lent the truck to my brother for a snowboard trip, and he let it overheat once.... Damn aluminum blocks!!...
      omg, guess you fired your brother, eh?

Watch out, you will probably break axleshafts with a GM small block in there. LR offers HD rear axle shafts as a factory part, cheap. Bigger drive flanges from a Def 300td are another good cheap upgrade from LR.

Disco front axle shafts are a little big stronger, you can go to those. If you still break those (I did) then Ashcroft Trans has very HD front axle shafts available. They aren't cheap but you won't break one. Maxi-Drive in Oz is no longer in business btw.

Caveat: I live in yurrup now so I don't know much about US suppliers such as Longfield Superaxle that might also have parts for your buildup.

26. 07-29-2010 11:10 AM #411
      2003 Discos don't have the center locking diff and have Electronic Traction Control (ETC), Active Hill Decent, and Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) system which replaced the usual antiroll bars with hydraulic rams, to reduce body lean in hard turns. All of these overcomplicated systems make the '03 models less desirable. In 2004 LR dumped all of the e-nanny on/off road garbage and reverted back to old fashioned mechanical stuff like the CDL and sway bars. 2004 Discos are either good or terrible. My friend had an '04 which was plagued by more problems than my '97 ever had. I've had my Disco for seven years and as a whole it has been an excellent daily, but time is not on my side and things are going to need to be looked over and replaced preventatively.
      Are there better years to look at? I can find the 03/04 seemingly easily w/ low mileage, if possible I really want a lower mileage vehicle. The Corrado thing, I understand that very well.

I figured a lot of what I read depended on what you got and how you take care of it - but the electrics, I knew that was accurate!

What I'd like to find is something simple, reliable, cold A/C (daily driver, ATL heat... my A2 is slowly roasting me), maybe do bumpers and rock sliders to handle rougher trail and not beat the body up, no heavy wheeling, just rough trails. Unfortunately it'll be early spring before I can pick anything up, but like to get a solid direction. Any suggestions?

Vehicles
      07-29-2010 02:32 PM #412
      Are there better years to look at? I can find the 03/04 seemingly easily w/ low mileage, if possible I really want a lower mileage vehicle. The Corrado thing, I understand that very well.

I figured a lot of what I read depended on what you got and how you take care of it - but the electrics, I knew that was accurate!
      I personally prefer the 1997 Series I Discos, but finding them with low miles is nearly impossible these days. After that the 2004 is definitely my only other choice. I was lucky to get mine in '03 with a little over 45K on the clock, and my friend bought his a year ago with a little over 54K on the clock from the original owner. The later Series I and all Series II Discos are not necessarily plagued by the typically bad Brit electronics because the brief BMW ownership helped to iron out many of the early non-USDM Disco problems. It's just that too much electronic whiz-bangery, like in any car, doesn't age well. A good example of this is the MkII Range Rover (P38) that was British Leyland's final and most dreadful opus with the Land Rover marque. Easy on the eyes, but chocked so full of poorly conceived, designed, and executed electronics/gadgets that folks selling them today are practically paying the buyer to take it off of their hands. So bad in fact, that BMW axed the old and gave us the MkIII Range Rover pretty much the day they walked through the doors of Solihull. The essence of which we still see today in the whole LR/RR model lineup.

What I'd like to find is something simple, reliable, cold A/C (daily driver, ATL heat... my A2 is slowly roasting me), maybe do bumpers and rock sliders to handle rougher trail and not beat the body up, no heavy wheeling, just rough trails. Unfortunately it'll be early spring before I can pick anything up, but like to get a solid direction. Any suggestions?
      I like Land Rovers and I can understand how "the look" would want to make you crawl in bed with one. However, this can be a fatal attraction for the ill prepared. My friend that I mentioned in my previous post went from a money pit P38 Range Rover to a 2004 Disco. He had some minor coolant leak/gasket issues that were all taken care of under warranty. IMO the truck was a solid performer, but as soon as the warranty ran out he sold it. Two weeks later his old Disco blew a head gasket. My Rover has suited me fine and has been providing me with "reliable" enjoyment for about 70K bumpy, dusty, and rock strewn miles. Did I break stuff? Yes, but only under harsh circumstances. I knew what I was getting into when buying my Rover and was prepared for the highs and lows of the experience. You get good ones and you get bad ones, but classic and neo-classic Rover ownership is best suited for the patient enthusiast who isn't afraid of a little research and oily DYI duties. The bottom line is that proper maintenance and diligent repairs are the keystones to happy Rover ownership. Oh, look for a 2004 base model S or SE and definitely no sunroofs.

p.s. - if you are enjoying the tinker toy factor of your MkI/MkII VWs and are unsure if you can live with a Rover...buy a six-cylinder FJ80 Land Cruiser. You can have your butch looking safari rig coupled with Toyota durability. Head gaskets like to seep on these but that is easily fixed.

(edit: GRAMMMMAAAARRR!)
      Last edited by MuddyMudskipper; 07-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      07-29-2010 03:50 PM #413
      Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMudskipper View Post
      ......buy a six-cylinder FJ80 Land Cruiser. You can have your butch looking safari rig coupled with Toyota durability. Head gaskets like to seep on these but that is easily fixed.
      Agreed. Here's mine, with the 1-HDT turbodiesel.

Headed off to a 4x4 trials comp early the next day!

Vehicles
      07-29-2010 03:54 PM #414
      ^^^The Irony.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      07-29-2010 04:14 PM #415
      I guess that can describe mine, but I still have a ton of stuff wrong with it.

I daily my '97 Disco 1, but it comes with the price of 9mpg. Like said, just dropped over $1000 on a radiator, fan clutch, power steering hose, labor and fluids. Rover cannible went thru 5 different used radiators, all of them were junk, so I have to just buy a new one.

I still have a ton of stuff that needs fixed tho.

-Death wobble at 60mph.
      -Drives side window can't roll down the whole way or it doesn't come up.
      -One power lock suddenly died.
      -Rear window is held up with a piece of wood.
      -No cruise control.
      -Crazy windsheild wiper action.
      -Back door doesn't open without doing a magic trick.
      -Back door rattles like mad.

...and the list goes on.

But I still consider my Rover to me in good shape and ''reliable''. It doesn't throw any codes or have a CEL and that's a rare thing.

But honestly be prepared to spend money when time comes and to live with the eletrical faults.

31. 07-29-2010 04:52 PM #416
      That's kinda the thing I expected with the price they are running, but I can more feasibly spend less cash now and afford repairs as things go and get what I want vs the price of newer stuff that isn't as fun. I'm not afraid to work on it, but after something is fixed (if done right) I don't want to have to worry about again. It's british so I know the electrics are fiddly - Rovers use normal chassis ground, it's not reversed right??

I've got some time to research (maybe I just am attracted to fiddly cars...)

I don't want to clog up the post with my useless chatter, but I do appreciate the insight.

(bitchin ride btw MuddyMudskipper)

Vehicles
      07-29-2010 07:41 PM #417
      I've pretty much fixed everything Harv mentioned in his post on my truck on the cheap with the exception of a couple things that haven't bitten me yet. I've replaced both passenger side doors from a tree branch mishap, my front driveshaft (broken) , my rear 3rd (explosion), a door panel, some switches, a relay, etc...

(bitchin ride btw MuddyMudskipper)
      Thanks.

My original fuel pump just died. A new complete assembly costs close to $400 for the Advanced Evap System trucks like mine. Complete assemblies are the only way they are available from retailers. Lucky for me there's a DIY pump only replacement fix that shouldn't cost more than $100.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      07-30-2010 05:33 PM #418
      After replacing the radiator, fan clutch, all the coolant, testing the t-stat, testing for C02...My Disco is still overheating.

Vehicles
      07-31-2010 03:59 PM #419
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      After replacing the radiator, fan clutch, all the coolant, testing the t-stat, testing for C02...My Disco is still overheating.......radiators, all of them were junk, so I have to just buy a new one. ... -Death wobble at 60mph.
      New water pump. I'd also suggest losing the fan clutch - I know, you just replaced it - and fitting a metal flex fan instead. Longterm anyway, don't buy another fan clutch.

We don't buy LR radiators anymore for our rigs even though we can get them from the UK. They only last a few years and don't fit exactly right. We fit a bigger rad from a euro Iveco delivery van. You need a few aluminum angle bits and some drilling to fit it. But the hoses slide right on.

The death wobble is often a front Panhard bushing.

hope that helps...us LR guys gotta stick together

Vehicles
      07-31-2010 09:17 PM #420
      Quote Originally Posted by renohuskerdu View Post

The death wobble is often a front Panhard bushing.
      The bolts that attach the panhard rod to the frame could be loose too. My friend had severe death wobble on his '96 SD.
      >pər-fikt

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast