Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The everything Land Rover thread.

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      08-01-2010 05:45 PM #421
      Thanks for the help guys.

I'm vary that it's the waterpump, because either they work or they don't work. It only seems to be overheating when I turn the A/C on.

I'm going to test the radiator cap to see if it has pressure, then replace the t-stat for the hell of it. The Disco has 165k on it, so I might as well replace for peace of mind.

I need to get the death wobble fixed soon also. My remedy for it is either to drive under 60mph, or over 70mph. No wobbles there.
      VW/Audi/German Car T-Shirts - CHEAP ----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82955767

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      08-02-2010 09:32 AM #422
      Figured out the problem..

They tore apart the t-stat and found a foreign substance in there.

Turns out when they installed the radiator they left a tiny piece of packing material in the right end tank tube. It got sucked into the t-stat and clogged it up.

Problem solved, no charge. Phew.
      VW/Audi/German Car T-Shirts - CHEAP ----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82955767

Vehicles
      Convertible, Hatchback, Sedan, Wagon, Muscle Car, SUV, and a Dual Sport
      08-02-2010 12:41 PM #423
      ^^^Sometimes its the simplest of things.
      >pər-fikt

4. Member
      Vehicles
      golf gti turbo
      08-10-2010 07:47 AM #424
      Quote Originally Posted by renohuskerdu View Post
      It's not pretty anymore, but I win trials competitions with it! You shoulda seen it pristine when I bought it. The PO was the kind of guy that notes every fillup, oil change etc. It was almost like new, and very little rust.

A year or so ago, before the big rollover incident:

After the rollover:

Undergoing top removal:

Current state, still very much a work in progress:

But finished enough to compete or get firewood now.
      any updates on this?

Vehicles
      03 325i
      08-12-2010 10:45 PM #425
      Just clicked over 106k today and managed to find this thread again. Still loving my Disco. Tons of stuff still dont work that I plan to not fix (CEL, SRS, ABS lights, no cruise, no fogs, clock light.. more maybe!) but nothing else has really broken on it in the 5k I've had the truck. Managed to get 16.2mpg on the last fillup as well, up from the 14.x when I got it. Key is 'conserving momentum' I drive everywhere at exactly 50, even my driveway!
      -Paul
      1995 GTI VR6 - ??.??@??? 3.6 Power - 12.90@106 R32 power - 12.833@106 12v power
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning
      Build Thread: The Build Thread "Good Clean Fun"

Vehicles
      08-13-2010 01:32 AM #426
      My fuel pump went teets up. But thanks to this I was able to get it fixed on the cheap.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      08-13-2010 12:49 PM #427
      Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMudskipper View Post
      My fuel pump went teets up. But thanks to this I was able to get it fixed on the cheap.
      Nice

Mine went a few years back, opened the access door and found it full of sand. Don't know how that much sand got in there, but I suppose it's better than rust.

Vehicles
      08-13-2010 02:00 PM #428
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Nice

Mine went a few years back, opened the access door and found it full of sand. Don't know how that much sand got in there, but I suppose it's better than rust.
      I guess the leaking can go both ways.

One more thing, the fuel pump fix was super easy and it took me a little less than an hour to do.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      RIP: 97 Vento VR6 Euro lowered Climatronic; Range V8 tube/mud 4x4 beast
      08-15-2010 05:30 PM #429
      Quote Originally Posted by ibedrooms View Post
      any updates on this?
      I did a trials late June, took second place, not bad. But in order to compete the organizers made me fab up a hood in less than an hour! Fortunately I had a sheet of aluminum diamond plate on hand. It looks hideous, and I can't see spit around it.

I have another competition early Sept, and that shiny new sheet of diamond plate you see on the left will become a nice permanent bikini hood, with holes cut here and there around items that stick up (such as the MAF, top of radiator, PS reservoir) to lay as low as possible and give me better visibility.

I'm getting really antsy to whack off the back too. Right now the stock 20gal fuel tank is mounted in the back, but a buddy just gave me a neat little 5gal tank that would be perfect for trials competes ... and leave the entire back of the rig empty, ready to meet Mister plasma cutter.
      French dude neben Deutschland. Das Leben beginnt mit 5 Zylinder, 150 PS, Crapmo' stank malt licky. Das Bardle Doo?

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      E36
      08-23-2010 12:03 AM #430
      Heres my RRC. Few local trails and some camping.

Vehicles
      08-23-2010 12:10 AM #431
      ^^ (especially the last pic)
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      Tejas Cucaracha
      08-24-2010 01:52 PM #432
      Just picked up a simbar for $200.00!!! nice and should hold me until I want something more custom:

I have rear jumpseats on the way.... and might pick up a roof rack.... then I should be ready for some Fall camping ( I have 4 kids need seats and room for stuff)
      hardparkers-cc-SoulSpeed-SYNDICATE-

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      08-24-2010 04:43 PM #433
      Coming up on 2 years of ownership with my green Disco. (Had a white SE7 before, sold it before the days of $4.00 gas)

Added up all my receipts from the 2 years, over $3000 of stuff. This doesn't included any aftermarket stuff. All just normal upkeep and replacing of parts that needed it.

The replaced the steering damper. The OEM unit had over 165k on it and was gone, the new one went in and the steering feels brand new. Awesome.

Vehicles
      08-24-2010 05:38 PM #434
      Added up all my receipts from the 2 years, over $3000 of stuff. This doesn't included any aftermarket stuff. All just normal upkeep and replacing of parts that needed it.
      You're a braver man than I. I am too chicken to pour over my bookish folder of aftermarket receipts for fear of an instant body wide shut down and skull implosion. The oil change mandated perusal of my Disco's maintenance log book gives me a very skewed view of money spent in nearly five years of Rover ownership...and that's enough for me.
      >pər-fikt

15. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      08-25-2010 04:16 PM #435
      Quote Originally Posted by Morio View Post
      I have rear jumpseats on the way.... and might pick up a roof rack.... then I should be ready for some Fall camping ( I have 4 kids need seats and room for stuff)
      Where'd you get jumpseats? Stock SE7 ones? Let me know how they go in, I want to do that to my SD.
      -Paul

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      08-25-2010 06:11 PM #436
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      Where'd you get jumpseats? Stock SE7 ones? Let me know how they go in, I want to do that to my SD.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...s#ht_500wt_956

Vehicles
      08-27-2010 03:36 AM #437
      Morio has a D2 so his jump seat set up will be completely different from your D1.

A D2 has much larger forward facing jump seats with a head rest that flips down from the roof. Super comfy even for the adults.

D1 jumpseats face each other and should only be used for kids or obstreperous adults as they are tiny and torturous. On the rare occasions I've had a full sized adult in the way back (two is a fools endeavor lest each occupant is a circus contortionist, oompa loompa, or double amputee) she's complained of a somewhat nauseating ride from what I can only figure to be sitting aft of the rear wheels.

The swap is easy to do for your SD. You need all of the brackets, nuts/bolts, seatbealt hardware, and each SE7 specific left and right cargo panels. The only caveat is that SE7s typically have rear airconditioning which your SD does not. Because of the rear air, the driver's side jumpseat doesn't stow flush because the blower and main ducting are behind the cargo panel. To me (and I own an SE7) this takes away too much of the D1's already limited cargo space. This waste of space would be even lamer on your SD since you would be losing cargo area without the benefits of rear air. If a six seater would suffice, I would only add the jumper to the passenger side because it stows cleanly and gobbles no more space than the storage binnacle your Disco already has.

^^Passenger side

^^Here's my truck. As you can see the driver's side jumper doesn't stow flush. But, as you can also see I dumped my passenger side jumper because I needed a solid place to mount my air tank without losing even more cargo space while keeping one jumper.

Places like eBay, Roverdude, Specialized, and Rover Cannibal are good sources for the complete jumper set-ups.

Last edited by MuddyMudskipper; 08-27-2010 at 12:01 PM.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      Tejas Cucaracha
      08-27-2010 12:09 PM #438
      correct!!!! I am slowly trying to piece it together...... even though the seats are nicer.... I have more parts to buy to convert and finding them seem to be a PITA..... I got the seats arriving next week.... but I still need all the trim pieces, seat belts, head rests, etc...

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      08-27-2010 05:18 PM #439
      When I had my SE7, the only time they were relative is when people would compliment how cool they were. I think I only used them 1 time in 2 years of owning it.

Other than that, they took up space and got in the way. So glad my SD doesn't have them.

Vehicles
      08-27-2010 05:40 PM #440
      Given a choice I would have rather had a white SD.

I had just rolled (not flopped!) my white '95 and I needed a suitable replacement. A, my, '97 SE7 popped up with super low miles and in great condition making it a no-brainer. As weird as it may sound, manual cloth seats, no sun-roofs, no rear air, and no jumpers is something I pine for.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      Tejas Cucaracha
      08-27-2010 06:12 PM #441
      yeah... I have 4 kids and they love to go camping... so we need the seats but I do see how they take up more room ....... I would of bought a SE7 but couldn't find one with the price point and required pre-work I wanted in a Land Rover....

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      09-01-2010 06:41 PM #442
      Ehh, I guess I should throw my monster up. Its completely impractical, gets about 10 or 11 mpg, doesnt fit into parking garages (big issue considering where I live) and I wont go faster than 65mph so trips are a little long but I wouldnt have it any other way.

Make: Land Rover
      Model: Discovery
      Year: 1995

Engine: 3.9L, normally aspirated (working on planning a swap with more power and better mpg for range)
      Trans: Auto
      T-Case: Stock
      Front Axle: Stock 3.54 (3.90's soon)
      Rear Axle: Detroit Locker, stock 3.54 (see above), diff/ pinion guard/ slider
      Tires: 255/85 R16 BFG MTs
      Wheels: D1 16" black steel
      Steering: Rovertym HD steering linkage
      Suspension: SafariGard 3 link with Terraflex center link, Rovertym 3" lift with 1" aluminum spacers, Fox 2.0 Emulsion shocks with custom 2" extensions, Rovertracks rear links
      Exterior/ Armor/ Other: ARB front bumper with reinforced recovery points, Warn XD9000, Great Basin Rover Front Drive Shaft, Rotoflex conversion, Mean Green Gear Reduction Starter, Safari Gard rock sliders, full rack (flooring, limb riser tabs and hi lift mount), 6x Hella 3000 (front), 2x Hella FF50 rear, No Loss valve stems, ARB fridge (with Engel bag and transit mount), 2x Pelican 1650 (full of recovery gear and like them better than drawers as these are easily removable), Removed small section of rear seat for extra storage (easily accessed through side door which is a plus), Hi- Lift jack with Jackmate, CO2 tank with Ultimate Air and hose, LR Genuine ladder, D2 cupholders (sounds small but seriously the best mod), Safari Snorkel, 2x Aluminum sand ladders, Hood black out, faded paint in spots, a few dents and a few scratches.

Have a stainless steel panel for the rear door that is currently off the truck so I can add a fold down table to it. Dual battery set up is almost back to a functioning state as the Power Gate will be in my hands and on the truck on Saturday.

Vehicles
      09-02-2010 01:49 AM #443
      ^^Nice D1!
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      09-02-2010 01:36 PM #444
      ^^Nice D1!
      Thanks. She gets me around. Has to, since its my primary vehicle. Its coming around. Itll never win beauty contests but she will make her way down, through, or over just about anything.

25. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      09-03-2010 12:24 PM #445
      Given a choice I would have rather had a white SD.
      Funny I was specifically trying to find a D1 SE7 when a low mile cheap, white, SD dropped into my lap.

Thanks for the tips on the jumpers. Good call on the side facing, I forgot about that. We have a noob due in October and can't figure out a good way to get the whole crew into the Disco. I thought I might be able to put my oldest back there, def not though with the side facing seat.
      -Paul

Vehicles
      09-03-2010 12:31 PM #446
      Funny I was specifically trying to find a D1 SE7 when a low mile cheap, white, SD dropped into my lap.

Thanks for the tips on the jumpers. Good call on the side facing, I forgot about that. We have a noob due in October and can't figure out a good way to get the whole crew into the Disco. I thought I might be able to put my oldest back there, def not though with the side facing seat.
      That is funny. I think the use of side facing jumpers are only cool if you're a pre-teen traveller.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      Tejas Cucaracha
      09-03-2010 09:02 PM #447
      jump seats showed up!!! Now looking for seat belts and rear panels

Vehicles
      Tejas Cucaracha
      09-10-2010 01:03 PM #448
      fun fun fun... I got the three amigos yesterday and I am looking into getting software to extract the codes as well as clear them..... I noticed that the ABS amigo and the Bearmatch Hawkeye seem to be the most popular choices.....

I thought I would ask this question here since most of the people with land rovers on this forum also own VAG products...... I have a full Rosstech scan tool and I know I can clear and extract codes like a typical OBD reader... My question, is there a software out there that will let me use my rosstech KEY-USB to read and clear ABS and other Land Rover systems?

The ABS Amigo seems like a great product but for $200 just to read and clear the "3 amigos" seems a bit pricey...

Thanks

Vehicles
      '14 Grom, '03 sv1000, '01 super sherpa, '11 Tundra
      09-21-2010 08:29 AM #449
      i have the possibility of picking up a '97 disco with 170k on it for $2000 is this a horrible idea or what?
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      09-21-2010 04:24 PM #450
      Quote Originally Posted by mad8vskillz View Post
      i have the possibility of picking up a '97 disco with 170k on it for $2000 is this a horrible idea or what?
      This sounds like a case of the ''Sweet, a Euro SUV from a luxury brand for cheap.''

If you are buying it because you really want a Disco then do it. But if you are buying it because it just came along and the idea seems interesting and the cost seems right then yes, horrible idea. Discos for $2000 have issues. They wouldn't be $2000 if they didn't. Look at the Land Rovers that are cared for by enthusiasts, they are priced above average market value because they don't have stupid issues that will drive you broke or leave you broke down on the side of the road.

Vehicles
      '14 Grom, '03 sv1000, '01 super sherpa, '11 Tundra
      09-21-2010 11:23 PM #451
      This sounds like a case of the ''Sweet, a Euro SUV from a luxury brand for cheap.''

If you are buying it because you really want a Disco then do it. But if you are buying it because it just came along and the idea seems interesting and the cost seems right then yes, horrible idea. Discos for $2000 have issues. They wouldn't be $2000 if they didn't. Look at the Land Rovers that are cared for by enthusiasts, they are priced above average market value because they don't have stupid issues that will drive you broke or leave you broke down on the side of the road.
      thank you for talking some sense into me i've already got one broken vehicle and a 2nd would just make life even more frustrating
      Demokratikally Elekted Fist Lieutenant of the Outside Cavalry of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      That's too bad but, VWVortex said so... so you have to do it now.

09-23-2010 01:09 AM #452

Words of wisdow i am listening too aswell! Just got a nice 95 RRC LWB for a fair price... not cheap, but fair, from an enthusiest that has done the right maintenance. Super clean ride and everything works. No leaks. I hope it serves me well!

33. Geriatric Member need_a_VR6's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03 325i
      09-28-2010 09:45 PM #453
      That's how I ended up with one and I couldn't be happier really. A buddy of mine who is a LR tech pushed me over the edge by saying "Quit being a *****, you had a B5 S4, how much worse do you think a vehicle can F you? The Disco will be cake." Sold lol. I've done oil changes, need to put a fan clutch and new tires on for the winter but that's about it.
      -Paul

Vehicles
      2003 A4 Avant 1.8t, 1974 CB550
      09-29-2010 06:54 AM #454
      My dad bought the ABS Amigo for his 00 Disco 2. It works just fine to read and clear the codes but they will come back.

He actually just fixed the 3 Amigos last week. It bypasses the relay/actuator that causes the problem. I will see if I can find the info and pass it along.

Vehicles
      Land Rover - Audi
      10-01-2010 02:41 PM #455

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast