Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The everything Land Rover thread.

Vehicles
      1976 Scirocco, 1997 Land Rover Discovery, 2000 Passat Estate, 2014 Chevy Spark EV
      11-08-2011 02:08 PM #596
      We were pre running some candidate roads for an upcoming club even which we're going to run at night. This one was a bit too mellow. Figure'd we wanted a little more of a challenge than that..
      Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Thompson
      Most of them say they'll do just about anything, just as long as it's not drinking gin with a 200-pound bald psycho in an open car at high noon on Alii Drive or in the Kona Surf parking lot. Which is where I always dump them. Except for the ones who drink gin .. .

Vehicles
      Some Germans, a Brit, an Austrian, and a Yank
      11-08-2011 03:20 PM #597
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      Yeah, the people on ExPo dont like that one so much. Whatever. Their glorified KOA trips arent any more an expedition than my trip to the local supermarket. Its all in the marketing, I suppose.
      You're just calling it as you see it. 0.5% of the folks on there actually take "trips" and none trudge an uncharted course to discover new land. I've met and gone on some memorable camping trips with some pretty cool people from ExPo but I stay clear of the gearcentric faux safari types. Having $20K in just camping gear to go somewhere as "exotic" as the Grand Canyon is dumb and the mentality is strange.
      >pər-fikt

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Fiesta ST, Jeep 4.0, BMW e12
      11-08-2011 04:52 PM #598
      Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMudskipper View Post
      You're just calling it as you see it. 0.5% of the folks on there actually take "trips" and none trudge an uncharted course to discover new land. I've met and gone on some memorable camping trips with some pretty cool people from ExPo but I stay clear of the gearcentric faux safari types. Having $20K in just camping gear to go somewhere as "exotic" as the Grand Canyon is dumb and the mentality is strange.
      I agree. A lot of people over there just like to have their stuff, whether or not they remotely need it or not.

Vehicles
      1976 Scirocco, 1997 Land Rover Discovery, 2000 Passat Estate, 2014 Chevy Spark EV
      11-08-2011 05:21 PM #599
      They're called gear whores..
      Most of them say they'll do just about anything, just as long as it's not drinking gin with a 200-pound bald psycho in an open car at high noon on Alii Drive or in the Kona Surf parking lot. Which is where I always dump them. Except for the ones who drink gin .. .

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      11-09-2011 05:59 AM #600
      My favorite is an FJC owner (silver) that will remain unnamed. The photos he throws up are of him with more gear than I can imagine ONE person needing (RTT, hot water boiler, table and chairs (with mini table and chair S&P shaker holder), porta potty thing, mountain bike, etc... with a completely built truck with every single thing that could bolt on bolted on...............backed nicely into a cutout at the camp ground. Im not an elitist and Ive camped on grounds at places like Uwharrie (for electric hook ups and a shower) but Ive also camped on a grassy knoll at the crest of a mountain with just me, my gf and the truck. I splurged on a great Big Agnes Tent to stay warm and dry, one of those fold out camp seat like dish washing set ups (was $15 and takes up as much room as a small fold up umbrella) that comes in handy since leaving dirty dishes out in bear country is just plain stupid and a carry toilet thing (because I want to take a dump, not get an ab and thigh workout trying to lean up against a tree). Thats all I need. Oh, I do have a fridge I used everyday. Loved to be able to keep my groceries cold between the store and my apt. My personal favorite is the Camel Trophy effect. I love the videos and competition as much as the next guy but thats not my ultimate idea of a rig. I like big tires and suspension. They want to run the smallest tires they possibly can with as many light as they possibly can.

I will agree that there are some cool people on Expo but the whole "glamping" thing I just dont understand really. Whats the point of dragging a trailer that unfolds into a space larger than most peoples NYC apartments? How is that camping? Scott (the owner) really hit at the right time and with the right marketing, thats for sure. Now I just jump on to look at pictures and destinations, leave a smart ass remark when the whole "dude, your truck with __fill in bolt on part here__ is the coolest thing Ive ever seen" (maybe its the latent DWebber in me but I cannot stand that) gets too thick and then leave. The whole we love everyone and nothing is a bad idea thing (like someone selling a bone stock FJ60 for $35k) really irks me sometimes.

Okay, rant over with.

Back to the thread, boner, pick up that RRC and then go over to DWeb. SEARCH FIRST (or they will eat you alive) and then post if you cannot find the answer to your low speed issues. These trucks have been around so long that there isnt a single issue that 20 people havent experienced before you.

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      11-09-2011 12:01 PM #601
      And yes, the entire dash needs to come apart to access the heater core. Not too easy a task.
      so it IS like my corrado!!!! great!!! i really am a masochist aren't I?!

gonna meet up with the folks tomorrow night and hopefully narrow down a date of when it gets dragged back to the house. i'll start a thread up here for sh!ts n giggles

Vehicles
      11-09-2011 12:03 PM #602
      My favorite is an FJC owner (silver) that will remain unnamed. The photos he throws up are of him with more gear than I can imagine ONE person needing (RTT, hot water boiler, table and chairs (with mini table and chair S&P shaker holder), porta potty thing, mountain bike, etc... with a completely built truck with every single thing that could bolt on bolted on...............backed nicely into a cutout at the camp ground. Im not an elitist and Ive camped on grounds at places like Uwharrie (for electric hook ups and a shower) but Ive also camped on a grassy knoll at the crest of a mountain with just me, my gf and the truck. I splurged on a great Big Agnes Tent to stay warm and dry, one of those fold out camp seat like dish washing set ups (was $15 and takes up as much room as a small fold up umbrella) that comes in handy since leaving dirty dishes out in bear country is just plain stupid and a carry toilet thing (because I want to take a dump, not get an ab and thigh workout trying to lean up against a tree). Thats all I need. Oh, I do have a fridge I used everyday. Loved to be able to keep my groceries cold between the store and my apt. My personal favorite is the Camel Trophy effect. I love the videos and competition as much as the next guy but thats not my ultimate idea of a rig. I like big tires and suspension. They want to run the smallest tires they possibly can with as many light as they possibly can.

I will agree that there are some cool people on Expo but the whole "glamping" thing I just dont understand really. Whats the point of dragging a trailer that unfolds into a space larger than most peoples NYC apartments? How is that camping? Scott (the owner) really hit at the right time and with the right marketing, thats for sure. Now I just jump on to look at pictures and destinations, leave a smart ass remark when the whole "dude, your truck with __fill in bolt on part here__ is the coolest thing Ive ever seen" (maybe its the latent DWebber in me but I cannot stand that) gets too thick and then leave. The whole we love everyone and nothing is a bad idea thing (like someone selling a bone stock FJ60 for $35k) really irks me sometimes.
      So true, and I know exactly what/who you're talking about with the silver FJC. My personal preference has always been dry camping so I have no aversion to a dig-and-drop restroom and the necessary ancillaries for comfy yet not overburdened outings. Hell, it's not like I can go overboard with 2 people in a D1 and my dog...there's simply not enough room. I used to frequent ExPo, DWeb, and LRRForums daily but since my truck is where I want it I hardly frequent those places for anything but tech. SCLR was cool for a while until a very difficult personality came into the mix and created a big problem for the group after which I never went back.

Boner - Like MCtB said, RRCs are good, patience is golden, and the search feature is indeed your friend on DWeb.
      Last edited by MuddyMudskipper; 11-09-2011 at 12:05 PM.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      11-09-2011 05:18 PM #603
      SCLR was cool for a while until a very difficult personality came into the mix and created a big problem for the group after which I never went back.

Boner - Like MCtB said, RRCs are good, patience is golden, and the search feature is indeed your friend on DWeb.
      Who in SCLR do you speak of as the difficult personality? I joined not too long ago and haven't met alot of the people in the group.. You can PM me to keep if off the radar if you like

Vehicles
      87scirocco,99 A4, 98 TDI
      11-13-2011 07:28 PM #604
      I just became part of the club...72 series 3, 2 1/4 the fun begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      Proven fact: Kids ruin vaginas

Vehicles
      11-13-2011 09:55 PM #605
      Very nice! How's the bulkhead and frame?
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      11-14-2011 01:28 PM #606
      Went up 3N16, 3N14, 4N14, and 3N17 to White Mountain in San Bernardino National Forest on Saturday with a few friends:

cleaning water from the 02 sensor conneciton round 1:

waiting..

cleaning water from the 02 sensor connection round 2:

A came across a couple of jeeps that had turned around before this hill as they couldnt make it up.. My truck and another were bog stock and we went right on up..

Right after sunset near the summit..

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      11-14-2011 05:13 PM #607
      How did the A4 do with the towing?
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

Vehicles
      87scirocco,99 A4, 98 TDI
      11-14-2011 06:30 PM #608
      a4's a champ, did very well. Bulkheads been restored along with the frame..just a few spots I plan on reinforcing
      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      Proven fact: Kids ruin vaginas

14. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      11-14-2011 06:39 PM #609
      Quote Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
      any info on the cross bar those lights are mounted to? or perhaps a closer shot

Vehicles
      11-14-2011 07:11 PM #610
      I sent him a message asking him about it. His truck is an 04 so it's got the later round roof bars vs the earlier style that the rest of the discos came with..

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      11-14-2011 10:56 PM #611
      Quote Originally Posted by toy_vw View Post
      a4's a champ, did very well. Bulkheads been restored along with the frame..just a few spots I plan on reinforcing
      B5 FTW!

I love mine...she just turned 200K.
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI

17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-14-2011 11:47 PM #612
      I sent him a message asking him about it. His truck is an 04 so it's got the later round roof bars vs the earlier style that the rest of the discos came with..
      cool
      yeah looked a tad different but i cant really tell how its attached to the bars. neat setup though

Vehicles
      11-15-2011 12:19 AM #613
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      cool
      yeah looked a tad different but i cant really tell how its attached to the bars. neat setup though
      If you can find an 04 that someone is parting out, the later round style bars are a direct swap to the earlier trucks. I heard back from the guy and the center bar is actually a light bar from an FJ that he extended about 3 inches to make it fit. I think the silver section in the middle is where he extended it.

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-15-2011 12:24 AM #614
      damn i just had my headliner down for roof paint and recovering... not taking that thing apart again unless i really really have to

good to know though

Vehicles
      11-15-2011 04:38 AM #615

I remember when this guy posted up his truck. I think he posted once but the ridicule that resulted from his Hi Lift placement drove him away. Seriously, they arent light and hes bolted it across a sheet of aluminum. We were all speculating on whether he was a Jeeper (thats the trend with them for some reason) in a past life.

Looks like a decent time. The wide open space trails are the complete opposite of trails out here.

Vehicles
      11-15-2011 10:24 AM #616
      The wide open space trails are the complete opposite of trails out here.
      ^^^This is the reason why I quickly ditched the limb risers I had made.
      >pər-fikt

Vehicles
      11-15-2011 08:40 PM #617
      we took a wrong turn down that ended up down a narrow wash, the brush ripped off one of my rear tail light guards.. Sierra pinstriping for the win..

Vehicles
      2004 RS VW R32
      11-19-2011 12:55 PM #618
      So are the discos as problematic as I hear? I would love something like this to replace my jeep
      http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/2708505338.html

Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      11-19-2011 05:07 PM #619
      Quote Originally Posted by Withidlehands View Post
      So are the discos as problematic as I hear? I would love something like this to replace my jeep
      http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/2708505338.html
      Sub $5000 Disco 2s give me bad feelings.

Vehicles
      11-19-2011 07:35 PM #620
      Scored a rack on Craigslist:

6 month old BajaRack, guy picked it up when he was moving a bunch of stuff down from Kanukistan to SoCal.. Wasnt moving stuff any more and it restricted where his wife could park the truck ie no garages..

Also managed to pick up a set of jerry cans (nato, non carb - 2 fuel 2 water) for $75 with holders..

Vehicles
      11-20-2011 05:22 AM #621
      ^^^This is the reason why I quickly ditched the limb risers I had made.
      Yeah, I had limb risers on my truck but always forgot to put them on whenever I hit the trails. I got to the point where I really didnt care all that much anymore. The truck was going to get scraped whether they were there or not and the windshield is strong enough that unless I hit a really thick branch, which risers would nothing against anyway, it wasnt getting broken anytime soon. It was when I was into the 'look' of everything. I quickly got over that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Its a 99-00. Not exactly desirable and most are around that price point anyway. I just did a local search and 5 2000s came up: 1900, 3500, 5000 and 8000 (98k miles). The guy wanting $8k will never get it.

Vehicles
      93 corrado vr6, 95 golf race car, 05 trailblazer, 06 BMW 325ixT
      11-25-2011 07:56 AM #622
      i must be very dumb. i was over at my folks house last night and overheard the conversation my dad had with the mechanic who's been taking care of the RRC I am getting. they were making the arragements to get it to my folks' house. upon hearing the plan of attack (aka: my son is gonna have a crack at it cuz he needs a tow vehicle), i heard the mechanic laugh.

what am I getting myself into?!?!?!?!?!

pics tonite or tomorrow.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado, 98 Subaru Legacy
      11-25-2011 10:17 AM #623
      94 Range Rover lichfield TVR= biggest headache EVER. Out of commission for a couple years now- here is the engine fully rebuilt

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      11-25-2011 10:40 AM #624

Explain this TVR-ness!
      RIP Cosmic TDI

Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      11-25-2011 02:39 PM #625
      Lord Lichfield!

Vehicles
      11-25-2011 04:27 PM #626
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Disco 2s give me bad feelings in general. Even my friend's '04 was a bit of a nightmare. He kept having to bring it to the dealer to chase down coolant leaks that kept popping up once the previous was fixed. He had many other little mechanical and electrical niggles that plagued that truck as well. Needless to say my friend was disheartened that his new truck had so many issues and as soon as the warranty expired he sold it. The new owner managed to blow a head gasket a month after buying it.

Yeah, I had limb risers on my truck but always forgot to put them on whenever I hit the trails. I got to the point where I really didnt care all that much anymore. The truck was going to get scraped whether they were there or not and the windshield is strong enough that unless I hit a really thick branch, which risers would nothing against anyway, it wasnt getting broken anytime soon. It was when I was into the 'look' of everything. I quickly got over that stage.
      They definitely look the business, but like you, I quickly realized that in reality they were useless. I'm kind of that way with my rack now too. I haven't had it on my truck for over a year now and really haven't missed it. I've kept it because its the real deal Safety Devices part and it is definitely handy to have when a trip is going to carry more than me, my dog, and our gear.

Quote Originally Posted by boner View Post
      (aka: my son is gonna have a crack at it cuz he needs a tow vehicle), i heard the mechanic laugh.

what am I getting myself into?!?!?!?!?!
      I hope your son isn't planning on towing anything too heavy without many grades. Even the slightest ascent will be labored. My D1 is geared and I've towed a small trailer with two motorcycles with varying grades and it was slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post

5 Litre TVR? Yes please!
      >pər-fikt

32. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-26-2011 01:09 PM #627
      I hope your son isn't planning on towing anything too heavy without many grades. Even the slightest ascent will be labored. My D1 is geared and I've towed a small trailer with two motorcycles with varying grades and it was slow going.
      speaking of which... heres what i did this weekend

7000lb combined. about the most id ever consider going unless i was just towing something down a farm road at 15mph.
      it managed 50-55mph in 4th gear (5spd trans) the whole way on the highway and pulled the hills fine.

that tvr setup

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      11-26-2011 06:01 PM #628

Great shot with the Shadow and the Disco! Some people would think you're a glutton for punishment...

34. 11-26-2011 06:16 PM #629
      Land Rover is one of my favorite brands because of its style. I own a Land Rover Range Rover from 2003 year and I am very satisfied with it. What about the new Range Rover Evoque? Is it a good car that worths the money?

Great interior!

Via UCB

Vehicles
      11-26-2011 07:47 PM #630
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post

Great shot with the Shadow and the Disco! Some people would think you're a glutton for punishment...
      LOL, it's a well known fact that he's a glutton for punishment.. Look at the cars he drives..

Quote Originally Posted by Zirolex View Post
      Land Rover is one of my favorite brands because of its style. I own a Land Rover Range Rover from 2003 year and I am very satisfied with it. What about the new Range Rover Evoque? Is it a good car that worths the money?

Great interior!

I'm just gonna leave this here in response to the evoque:

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast