Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: The everything Land Rover thread.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      06-20-2011 01:54 PM #501
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      97 SD. Had a 98 SE7 prior.
      Both reliable?
      Is what happened to your the exception to the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by OVERPAR View Post
      I drive 700 miles a week in my '98 Disco. I will turn 190k in 2 weeks. It's been 100% more reliable than ANY of my VW commuters
      How is the comfort for that long of a haul?
      My current A4 has been lowered on sport springs, and I want something with a bit more cushion, and to get my foot off the ground since I hurt my leg.
      RIP Cosmic TDI

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      06-20-2011 10:33 PM #502
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW01 View Post
      Both reliable?

Meh. I suppose. All the ''features'' are pretty much toast now. Cruise control, wipers, rear hatch lock, power seats, windows, sunroofs (x2), door locks, etc.

Sold the SE7 before the first gas price spike. (Spring 2007?) Bought the SD in fall 2008.

Is what happened to your the exception to the rule?
      Not sure what you mean...

3. 06-20-2011 11:28 PM #503
      My current A4 has been lowered on sport springs, and I want something with a bit more cushion, and to get my foot off the ground since I hurt my leg.
      VERY very comfortable...not as fun as the e34 but, fuel aside, better in every way than the '92 Eco Diesel Jetta. Even the fuel price is worth the cost over the EcoDiesel. The MKII 8V I have is even leagues better than the Diesel. So many folks assume the Eco's are on the same planet as the TDIs and they're so wrong LOL.

4. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      trophy wife convertible, old british things
      06-21-2011 12:22 AM #504
      So many folks assume the Eco's are on the same planet as the TDIs and they're so wrong LOL.
      IDI diesels are an acquired taste for sure!

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      06-21-2011 07:44 AM #505
      My input on Rover ownership is that of a completely built '95 D1 (in my opinion, the best years were 94-95) that was also my daily driver. MPG was crap, but then again my truck was about as aerodynamic as a brick so I pulled about 9-11 mpg constant. Never cruised above 65 mph. Reliability was not the best either. There was more than a few occasions where she wouldnt start up for me and a couple times where she just plain died on me while driving. Turned out to need a complete fuel delivery overhaul (new tank, fill and supply hoses and venting lines) and was suffering from vapor lock somehow. One time I went wheeling and everything went fine (I count myself lucky). Got into her in the morning and then went to hit the wipers. Got nothing. They just randomly decided to stop working. Dont know why. Got home and did both relays, checked the switch and still got nothing. Ran the MFU test procedure and discovered that the MFU was bad. The MFU is this little piece of **** box behind the main fuse panel so you have to get into it through the dash. Replaced the MFU and the wipers started working! New problem was that the truck no longer started. Replaced the brand new MFU with the old one and the truck immediately started back up but the front wipers stopped working again. The entire truck was that way. There are plenty of stories of odd occurrences like that. Theres a famous one where a D1 would only start and run while the rear door was open. The moment it was closed, the truck would die. I had an alarm issue on mine. There is a small computer that controls the electric locks, ignition system and alarm. My central locking and alarm would only work when it rained. There was one time I pulled into the parking garage at Home Depot and went to lock the door. Turned the key, the truck locked and the alarm went crazy. Unlocked it and the alarm stopped. Opened and closed the door and locked it and the alarm went nuts. Did this a couple of times and finally said F it and went inside. If someone wanted to steal something, insurance would cover it. A couple days later, at about 5 am, I heard an alarm going off. It sounded familiar but I didnt bother to go check. Came out about 2 hours later to go to work and the truck was unlocked. It had decided to blare the alarm and simultaneously unlock the truck. Funny thing was it was not raining. Tracked down the alarm computer under the glove box and replaced it with a good used one (you need to learn the name Will Tillery and get his contact information) and solved the issue, mostly. Never got the flashing lights back but the alarm stopped going psycho and my central locking returned...mostly. There was also the time, prior to tracking down the problem with the alarm ecu where in the middle of 295 in DC (a scary f'ing road to begin with) the alarm ecu decided the truck was being stolen and cut ignition and killed the truck. That was fun.

If you are looking at a Rover, you need to get good at doing the work yourself. There are a few good, trustworthy indie shops that are cheaper than a dealer but still cost a lot. Parts are also expensive too. Tata now has Rover and they have started to stop production and supply of D1 spares. P38s are cool trucks BUT they are electrical nightmares. The suspension is an easy fix with a coil conversion but everything runs through multiple satellite fuse boxes and computers, not to mention the HUGE BCU. D2s are kind of cool. Bigger than the P38 and the D1 but there is also a lot of electrical things going on with them. They are easier to repair than a P38 but there is still a bunch of crap going on in them. P38 parts are more expensive than D1/ D2 parts. D2 has some special things that only it has (like front hubs not being rebuildable). One thing that is for sure, and has already been mentioned, is that you need to get used to fading accessories. Windows that decide to roll down only when they want to. Cruise that wont. Sunroofs that you should seal shut because they will either freeze open or leak. Oh, and CHECK FOR RUST!!!!

I loved my D1 but its nowhere near as good as my (IDI diesel) Cruiser is. Not even close. The D1 has the advantage when it comes to suspension design but nothing else.
      Last edited by MCTB; 06-21-2011 at 07:48 AM.
      Looking for a car event on the East Coast? Check here

I have an idea, we will try it my way first...and then we will finish.

Instagram of stuff

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      06-21-2011 04:04 PM #506
      Latest damage..

7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-21-2011 04:57 PM #507
      damn those parts arent cheap either... i think i can get rolls royce stuff for less!

Vehicles
      06-21-2011 05:31 PM #508
      A tie rod isnt that hard to replace. Why didnt you do it yourself? Also, a tie rod end is $40 from Atlantic British. $187 is highway robbery.

Instagram of stuff

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      06-21-2011 06:09 PM #509
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      A tie rod isnt that hard to replace. Why didnt you do it yourself? Also, a tie rod end is $40 from Atlantic British. $187 is highway robbery.
      Had to replace the whole tie rod bar that runs to the other side. It was bent. I guess it was bending and finally snapped at a weak point.

And I'm at school over the summer. Tough to replace a bunch of suspension bits in a parking lot with no tools.

Vehicles
      06-21-2011 06:33 PM #510
      What did you hit? Do you wheel it at all?

One thing that have learned since buying my first British car is to always keep a tool kit in the trunk. Thats a pretty serious bill.

Instagram of stuff

11. 06-22-2011 12:57 AM #511
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      IDI diesels are an acquired taste for sure!
      The 1.6TD swapped into my '83 Vanagon was heaven. the one in the MKII? eh. Poor match for what I needed.

12. 06-22-2011 01:00 AM #512
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      damn those parts arent cheap either... i think i can get rolls royce stuff for less!
      Pfffffffft...buy a toyota and tell me about how much parts cost. the last FJ62 I had cost me more to buy ONE rotor than an entire front brake job on a Disco....Tcase seals etc etc etc.

This is my fourth Rover. They can be odd, but they're easy to fix and very cool.

Vehicles
      06-22-2011 10:46 AM #513
      Pfffffffft...buy a toyota and tell me about how much parts cost. the last FJ62 I had cost me more to buy ONE rotor than an entire front brake job on a Disco....Tcase seals etc etc etc.

This is my fourth Rover. They can be odd, but they're easy to fix and very cool.
      Really? Ive found my parts to be as cheap as the parts I bought for the D1. Where did you buy them from?

Instagram of stuff

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      06-22-2011 03:25 PM #514
      What did you hit? Do you wheel it at all?

I was turning the wheel to back of a parking space and it broke.

Only minor off-roading. No rocks or steep inclines or declines.

Vehicles
      00 Jaguar XJR, 14 Mazda 6, 08 Honda Element SC
      06-22-2011 04:53 PM #515
      I was turning the wheel to back of a parking space and it broke.

Only minor off-roading. No rocks or steep inclines or declines.
      I suspect your viscous coupler is going bad

Vehicles
      AMG - Land Rovers
      06-22-2011 05:28 PM #516
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6GURU View Post
      No wheel chirping when backing out of spaces.

Vehicles
      06-22-2011 09:30 PM #517
      D1 and D2 do NOT have a coupler anywhere. The BW case in the RRC does and it really doesnt go bad that often either. Freak breaks do happen unfortunately. At least you werent moving. That wouldve been a not so good time.

Instagram of stuff

Vehicles
      06-22-2011 10:03 PM #518
      D1 and D2 do NOT have a coupler anywhere. The BW case in the RRC does and it really doesnt go bad that often either. Freak breaks do happen unfortunately. At least you werent moving. That wouldve been a not so good time.
      Yes I know this. except for some reason I thought he had a RRC.

Well I know of quite few people that have had a bad VC including me. It took a busted diff to finally just put the rover on 2WD mode till I did the LT230 swap.

Unfortunately i did not get around to it, got rid of the rover and got an Element instead hehe

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      06-23-2011 12:46 AM #519
      Not sure what you mean...
      Meaning, the hub issue, is that a weird or common failure.

@morecarsthanbrains, is the ride better than a BMW or Audi (stock) or at least equivalent?
      RIP Cosmic TDI

20. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-23-2011 12:56 AM #520
      @morecarsthanbrains, is the ride better than a BMW or Audi (stock) or at least equivalent?
      these cant possibly be that rare in your area that you cant find at least a half dozen at every skeezy used car lot to go test drive.

i cant seem to throw a rock on craigslist and not hit another used D1 or D2 on some "your job is your credit" car lot around here.

21. 06-23-2011 11:28 AM #521

Wrong Tcase. No Viscous coupler in the LT230.

Vehicles
      06-23-2011 12:11 PM #522
      P38, D1 or D2?

Instagram of stuff

Vehicles
      06-23-2011 07:09 PM #523
      Wrong Tcase. No Viscous coupler in the LT230.
      Yes which is why I was going to do an LT230 swap as stated in my post.

Vehicles
      Some Germans, a Brit, an Austrian, and a Yank
      06-23-2011 09:56 PM #524
      How are these on the highway?
      What's the REAL (owners viewpoint) reliability of LR's?
      It takes a special kind of person to own and maintain an older Land Rover...

I've had two Rovers both Discos. One a 95 the other a 97 and both SE7s. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed owning both immensely problems and all. I've logged many well taken care of but tough miles with my own trucks as well as on the trail with other people's Rovers. I have pulled, tugged and field repaired (ok, participated in or watched while sipping a chilly beverage) virtually everything that can go wrong on a LR. Blown suspension airbags on modern Rovers, frozen T-cases on two Discos and a Defender, blown VC on a RRC, dead fuel pump(s), bad main fuel relays, broken tie-rod ends, broken swivels, bad fan clutches, bad vehicle speed sensors, blown diffs, blown rear ends, vapor locking Series IIA, as well as bad T-cases/transmissions and ABS pumps on P38s. That's not even mentioning some of the other types of kinder gremlins not mentioned in previous posts.

LR used to advertise adventure. A big part of the adventure not advertised is the "what on this tin-tank is gonna fail on me?" variety. If you like to tinker (a lot), tempt fate with the nuances of British electronics, are charmed by British build quality, are an avid Camel Trophy fan, prefer the term Granted and Franklined to death over nickel and dimed to death, and are a serial masochist that thinks that build quality is a term used solely by the Westminster Kennel Club who craves the open road in an underpowered ill-handling top heavy going to suck gas and leak like the Deepwater Horizon SUV...a Land Rover might just be you're thing. However, if you're looking for a reliable vehicle that is virtually hassle free to own, then an older Land Rover isn't going to be your cup of tea.

That being said, you can get a whole lot of info here: The ExPo Guide to Land Rovers
      >pər-fikt

25. 06-24-2011 12:34 AM #525
      Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMudskipper View Post
      It takes a special kind of person to own and maintain an older Land Rover...

I've had two Rovers both Discos. One a 95 the other a 97 and both SE7s. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed owning both immensely problems and all. I've logged many well taken care of but tough miles with my own trucks as well as on the trail with other people's Rovers. I have pulled, tugged and field repaired (ok, participated in or watched while sipping a chilly beverage) virtually everything that can go wrong on a LR. Blown suspension airbags on modern Rovers, frozen T-cases on two Discos and a Defender, blown VC on a RRC, dead fuel pump(s), bad main fuel relays, broken tie-rod ends, broken swivels, bad fan clutches, bad vehicle speed sensors, blown diffs, blown rear ends, vapor locking Series IIA, as well as bad T-cases/transmissions and ABS pumps on P38s. That's not even mentioning some of the other types of kinder gremlins not mentioned in previous posts.

LR used to advertise adventure. A big part of the adventure not advertised is the "what on this tin-tank is gonna fail on me?" variety. If you like to tinker (a lot), tempt fate with the nuances of British electronics, are charmed by British build quality, are an avid Camel Trophy fan, prefer the term Granted and Franklined to death over nickel and dimed to death, and are a serial masochist that thinks that build quality is a term used solely by the Westminster Kennel Club who craves the open road in an underpowered ill-handling top heavy going to suck gas and leak like the Deepwater Horizon SUV...a Land Rover might just be you're thing. However, if you're looking for a reliable vehicle that is virtually hassle free to own, then an older Land Rover isn't going to be your cup of tea.

That being said, you can get a whole lot of info here: The ExPo Guide to Land Rovers

Every single VW I've had has been much more problematic than ANY Rover. Several D90's, a D110 Hi Cap, 2 RRCs, one Series and one Disco...3 MKIIs, 3 MKIIIs and one MKI (back when we still called them A1s!) The only two that break the Breaking-down VW mold were my Vanagons! an '83 Turbo Diesel and an '87 GL...both were flawless!

My '98 Disco (with currently 190k) was purchased in Feb for $2000 and has taken me over 15,000 since then. I've done a bunch of work to it though Oil changes, and I did have to replaced reverse light bulb and charge the A/C...conversely, my current MKII that was purchased 2 months ago to take commuting duty over while I fitted the disco with some lift etc, has not left the driveway...Alternator, Brake Master Cylinder, Tie Rod end just to start the list...

But my point here isn't to entirely say you're incorrect...more to say that you're posting this on a VW website so some serious perspective is in order. Buy the right truck and you'll be happy. Honestly, this is the first Rover I've owned that I've commuted with....the others were all wheeled and pushed very hard in offroad situations...from Club competition to extended backcountry travel.

A guy who Daily drives a '92 Jetta will find that a D1 Disco is a treat with the simple electronics and easy maintenance...but then again, a guy who's parents pay the note on his MKV, may find himself out in the cold when his P38 decides to go lowrider on him or the 3 amigos show up on his D2.

For some perspective, this evening I drove my wife's '04 Explorer (4.0 V6) to and from work. 120 Miles. We have owned it since new. I filled it up when I left and again upon my return...It got 18.1 MPG on my 120.2 mile round trip commute. My '95 E34 540i Msport 6 Speed got 19.3. My '98 Disco gets 17.3 at the same speed on the same commute. That's pretty freaking good considering the disco weighs plenty more and would seem to have the aerodynamics of a brick (compounded by the Safety Devices rack as well!)

I have the advantage of a carbon copy, long distance commute and I'm anal retentive about logging mileage. Most folks aren't. They make an educated guess or assume etc. I know my mileage numbers to the second decimal. I use the same pump every time. I've also Owned all the vehicles I talk about. I know their histories and can tell you if there were precipitating incidents that lead to any failures I experienced.

Are Rover's quirky? Yep. Do the despise being overheated? Hell yes. Do they rust? yes.

In fact, despite some aluminum body panels, the Rover is one of the worst vehicles for corrosion. Chassis rot, rear cross members, sills, door frames, upper tailgates, bulkheads...

So if I were to give advice on buying a Rover, I'd ask for lots of maintenance records (same as if I was buying a VW) and I'd go over the floors, sills, rear doorjambs, etc etc with a pick and an awl and probe for rust and rot as though you were looking at a MKIII in a salt mine.
      Last edited by OVERPAR; 06-24-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast