Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: The everything Land Rover thread.

1. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      09-23-2012 10:26 PM #701
      Quote Originally Posted by Minty_Fresh View Post
      thanks, i always wondered how it ended up with the white roof. in that picture it is all stock. it ended up with a 2" OEM lift and some 32's. ill have to dig up pictures.
      the alpine windows are kind of a common rust spot. i had my roof resprayed (and this was a west coast and desert car its entire life) maybe someone had it done in white when they were doing rust fixes... its an easy panel to spray

Vehicles
      Juced Cutty on 13's
      09-24-2012 02:17 AM #702
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      the alpine windows are kind of a common rust spot. i had my roof resprayed (and this was a west coast and desert car its entire life) maybe someone had it done in white when they were doing rust fixes... its an easy panel to spray
      i always liked to think some one wanted it to match a defender.

Vehicles
      1976 Scirocco, 1997 Land Rover Discovery, 2000 Passat Estate, 2014 Chevy Spark EV
      11-01-2012 03:18 PM #703
      Went with a group last weekend to do the Sherman Pass Jeep trail in the Southern Sierras this past weekend. Started out well, first rocky steep bit a guy with a D2 couldnt shift into 4-low, lockout solenoid cockblocked him. Literally half a mile up the trail one of the guys with a D1 lost steering, splines on the steering u-joint stripped out. His truck ended up spending the night on the mountain and we came back in the morning with a drill and drilled a hole through the u-joint and the shaft on the steering box and pinning it with a bolt to get him off the mountain.

Gotta love the Sierras!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Thompson
      Most of them say they'll do just about anything, just as long as it's not drinking gin with a 200-pound bald psycho in an open car at high noon on Alii Drive or in the Kona Surf parking lot. Which is where I always dump them. Except for the ones who drink gin .. .

Vehicles
      1976 Scirocco, 1997 Land Rover Discovery, 2000 Passat Estate, 2014 Chevy Spark EV
      11-06-2012 01:41 PM #704
      Since the trip in the southern sierras was cut short by issues with two of the trucks i still had the itch to get out and run a trail this last weekend. Went with another guy from the rover club and ran Lockwood / Miller Jeep Trail near Hungry Valley SVRA early sunday morning. Had the trail all to our selves, only other traffic we saw was a guy on a quad. Lockwood is pretty pedestrian, lots of ups and downs with some off camber spots. Miller is steep, loose and rocky. Didn't realize how steep Miller was till i got home and looked over my GPS track, it gains 2500' in elevation over 2.5 miles in length. That puts the average grade of the trail at 17%.

Miller starts at the bottom by the creek where the trees area and climbs to the top of the mountain.

Was a nice run. Neither of us had been on the trail before. I was expecting it to be a bit more difficult that it was, although it was by no means a walk in the park. Good way to get out and cure the itch.
      Most of them say they'll do just about anything, just as long as it's not drinking gin with a 200-pound bald psycho in an open car at high noon on Alii Drive or in the Kona Surf parking lot. Which is where I always dump them. Except for the ones who drink gin .. .

5. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-06-2012 02:16 PM #705
      awesome pics, looks like a ton of fun

Vehicles
      11-06-2012 02:58 PM #706
      awesome pics, looks like a ton of fun
      Gotta start collecting parts over the winter for a trip to run the Dusy-Ershim trail late next summer. 30 miles of 10K+/- in elevation of non stop fun in the high sierras. Usually takes rovers about 3 days to run it if there is no major damage.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      11-15-2012 10:04 AM #707
      I watched Wheeler Dealers last night and it got me thinking about a P38. The problem is that Edd makes it look so damn easy! Any guy who manages to convince me that P38 ownership wouldn't be half bad has got to be good. By the end of that 30 minute program I was on cars.com looking at all sorts of potential death traps.

But the looks are starting to come around for me, I'll always prefer the "Classic" but the P38 has a certain charm about it.

range rover p38 @broxhead awdc by suezeeg, on Flickr
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-15-2012 12:00 PM #708
      clean ones around me can be had for $2000-3000, which is a hell of a bargain if youre into doing your own work

9. Member
      Vehicles
      91 RRC, 97 GTI
      11-15-2012 04:15 PM #709
      Quote Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
      Gotta start collecting parts over the winter for a trip to run the Dusy-Ershim trail late next summer. 30 miles of 10K+/- in elevation of non stop fun in the high sierras. Usually takes rovers about 3 days to run it if there is no major damage.
      That sounds awesome. I need to find some rover buddies and trails up here for some fun like that.

Vehicles
      11-26-2012 07:48 AM #710
      We're doing a run next month up Nightmare Gulch in Red Rock Canyon State Park so me and the guy that is leading the trip went and pre-ran the trail and did a little bit of exploring. Nightmare Gulch goes through a narrow canyon with some really tight squeezes. A lot of raptors nest in the canyon so it's only open the second half of the year and in that second half of the year its only open after the 15th to the end of the month. Pre-run went pretty smooth, a little rock rash on my passenger side door in one of the squeezes but other than that went fine..

After we ran Nightmare we went in search of the Old Dutch Cleanser Mine. After a little bit of searching for a road that is now closed we took the long way around and eventually found it.

here's a link with some info on the mine : http://deathvalleyjim.com/2012/04/10...hy-camp-32812/

Vehicles
      05 X5, 01 GTI VR6
      11-30-2012 04:15 PM #711
      I have a 97 Range Rover 4.0SE. Cats are toast.. and I live in CA (you can imagine the nightmare I'm about to endure). However, I recently discovered that Magnaflow manufactures CA-legal cats that fit the P38a. I was about to celebrate until I ran into a slight problem:

The fitment guide in this listing shows that these cats fit EVERY year & motor of the P38a EXCEPT the 97 4.0SE. Can anyone tell me why this year is excluded? Is this just a typo?

Any help would be appreciated. Right now the Rover is a sitting duck with expired tags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-45...682491&vxp=mtr
      flickr | X5 | 15degreeGTI | M3 (sold) | The Original (_fishbowl society_) - PM me or CrayonBox

Vehicles
      Current: '86 QSW, '87 GTi VR6, '09 Routan, '14 Passat TSi
      11-30-2012 06:29 PM #712
      I'm considering getting rid of my two QSWs and possibly getting a Land/Range Rover. Lot's on craigslist in my price range $3k-$5k locally. Are they any good for that price? Are the auto boxes good enough to not need to hold out for a manual (if even available)? What year is a good model to look out for and which to avoid? And options to avoid?
      I do wrench myself, have plenty of tools etc.
      I basically grew up in them in the '70s in South Africa, my dad had a number of them over the years, so they pull on the old heartstrings.
      I have a 4 mile commute, but don't drive every day, so I won't be putting a lot of miles on it. Mostly want to hit the outdoors in CA with the family.
      I will have a VR6 A2 GTI for the fun stuff and a Routan for the family car, so a little down time due to the expect issues won't be too much of a hassle.

This one caught my eye, not sure why:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3424005327.html

13. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      11-30-2012 06:37 PM #713
      that XD looks cool, im a fan of no sunroofs. my truck is basically the lowest spec '97 around - cloth seats, no roofs, no rear seats, manual trans. only power thing is the windows and i think that was standard.

i wouldnt turn down a clean auto truck with records over a more questionable manual truck. id say the manual certainly lends itself to having fewer electrical issues with cranking/starting than some of the more sketch auto trans trucks. manuals are rare though, so yeah i wouldnt turn down a solid auto trans truck. the clutch is heavy too, i wouldnt want to do lots of traffic in it if i were using it often to commute in.
      also, the manual doesnt make it sporty or anything, its a big heavy slow truck with not enough power, you just get to row your own gears.

in 95 they didnt have obd2 and had a distributor... the rest of the years as i recall had the wasted spark lucas GEMS system. its obd functions are laughable, but it works.
      my plan after the ski season this year is to convert mine to MS3. the lucas system is pretty terrible.

if youre handy with a wrench and have some room to work on it, theyre easy enough to service, theres lots of room around everything and theres enough info online that youre never doing anything that hasnt already been well documented somewhere.

using my area (PNW) as a reference, you should be able to find a very nice enthusiast owned truck for your price range. i paid $2500 for my '97 with all records since new.
      Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 11-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Vehicles
      Juced Cutty on 13's
      11-30-2012 10:32 PM #714
      my disco was a 5 speed. they are stupid rare though. didn't know that at the time.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      12-01-2012 09:37 AM #715
      A friend of a friend had a 5-speed Disco with cloth interior and I loved that thing. It had NATO wheels, was perfect dark green with tan cloth and no power doodads. It was just so delightfully functional. I wish there were more Discos out there like that.

He rolled that one into a ditch on some twisty back road. There's a replacement in pretty much the same spec but it's white and doesn't have the same cache for me. Something about the militaristic look of the green really appealed to me.

Damnit. Off to craigslist... brb...
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

16. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-02-2012 06:15 PM #716
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      A friend of a friend had a 5-speed Disco with cloth interior and I loved that thing. It had NATO wheels, was perfect dark green with tan cloth and no power doodads. It was just so delightfully functional. I wish there were more Discos out there like that.
      how they all should be

Vehicles
      1996 Discovery 5spd, 1995 Z/28 'vert, 1988 5KTQ rally car, 1955 Pontiac Hearse, ~90 other cars
      12-03-2012 02:42 AM #717
      It used to have 4 of the PIAA's mounted on the rack, but 2 had broken lenses. I picked up the 4 Hella FF300's on CL for $60!!

Vehicles
      12-04-2012 03:31 AM #718
      Quote Originally Posted by 15degreeGTI View Post
      I have a 97 Range Rover 4.0SE. Cats are toast.. and I live in CA (you can imagine the nightmare I'm about to endure). However, I recently discovered that Magnaflow manufactures CA-legal cats that fit the P38a. I was about to celebrate until I ran into a slight problem:

The fitment guide in this listing shows that these cats fit EVERY year & motor of the P38a EXCEPT the 97 4.0SE. Can anyone tell me why this year is excluded? Is this just a typo?

Any help would be appreciated. Right now the Rover is a sitting duck with expired tags.
      Call Magnaflow with that part number and get the info direct from the source. If it's only one year of that cat being legal but its listed as legal on all the rest of the 4.0 motors (96 till the gems/bosch split in 99) then i'd say its more than likely a type-o

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      12-04-2012 07:53 AM #719
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post

He rolled that one into a ditch on some twisty back road. There's a replacement in pretty much the same spec but it's white and doesn't have the same cache for me. Something about the militaristic look of the green really appealed to me.

Damnit. Off to craigslist... brb...
      I was just looking at that one. hmmmm.

20. n00b
      Vehicles
      1996 Land Rover Disco
      12-04-2012 02:25 PM #720
      You guys are killin' me!

I'm in North Florida.
      Drive North 100 miles - FLAT
      Drive West 100 miles - FLAT
      Drive South 100 miles - FLAT
      Drive East 5 miles - WET

I've been following this thread for 2 months now. Anyone want to rent a room out?????

Vehicles
      12-17-2012 04:35 PM #721
      Quote Originally Posted by JC Speiser View Post
      You guys are killin' me!

I'm in North Florida.
      Drive North 100 miles - FLAT
      Drive West 100 miles - FLAT
      Drive South 100 miles - FLAT
      Drive East 5 miles - WET

I've been following this thread for 2 months now. Anyone want to rent a room out?????
      Bummer on the whole flat thing, can't relate.

Here's a couple from this weekend. Ended up taking a group of 12 trucks up to do the canyon we pre-ran last month. Had two D90's, one Classic, four D1's, two D2's, two LR3's a RR Sport and a Jeep that tagged along. No trail damage other than a bent track rod at the very end on one of the D90's that tried to straddle a rock that was a bit too tall. Track rod got bent when he was tugged backwards off the rock.

Yeah, that'll buff right out..

22. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-17-2012 04:39 PM #722
      awesome views, nice job on the pics

Vehicles
      12-17-2012 05:27 PM #723
      awesome views, nice job on the pics
      Thanks, i have a few more to sort through. I was being camera lazy and didnt even start shooting till halfway through the day. How things going with your disco?

Vehicles
      12-17-2012 06:59 PM #724
      here's a few more:

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      1996 Land Rover Disco
      12-18-2012 12:28 PM #725
      Looks like an awesome weekend and road trip!

PLEASE keep the pics coming for those of us that are terrain-ly challenged!

12-22-2012 12:42 AM #726
      Theres a 95 Disco 5spd for sale locally. Green, 80k. Is 3500 a good price? I am really tempted.
      Cummins ISB| S4 Avant 2.7t | Honda VFR400R |Honda CB250

Vehicles
      Juced Cutty on 13's
      12-22-2012 06:23 AM #727
      Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
      Theres a 95 Disco 5spd for sale locally. Green, 80k. Is 3500 a good price? I am really tempted.
      try to talk them down but i mean id pay that for another. im so pissed i got rid of mine with out knowing how rare they are.

Vehicles
      01-02-2013 05:05 AM #728
      Went today with some of the other guys from SCLR to go play in the snow on the north side of big bear lake with our families. Found a nice spot and let the kids sled for a while while the adults stood around and BS'd. Stopped in Holcomb Valley on our loop back around for a quick pic:

29. Member
      Vehicles
      91 RRC, 97 GTI
      01-02-2013 09:46 AM #729
      I took a drive out to some national forest land on the 31st for a little snow fun. I ended up pulling a lady's jeep out of some snow but the rover plowed right through everything. Literally, I was pushing snow with the front air dam for a while on some of the roads.

30. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-02-2013 11:18 AM #730
      Looks like a blast!!
      I'm part way through a week long ski trip, we drove the Rover down about 450 miles to the ski house...should have a few pictures when we get back

31. 01-03-2013 10:42 AM #731
      My wife has been bugging me to get her a Range Rover Sport. I just don't know if it would be worth going back to having two car (truck) payments.

Vehicles
      01-03-2013 11:55 AM #732
      Quote Originally Posted by sukraj View Post
      My wife has been bugging me to get her a Range Rover Sport. I just don't know if it would be worth going back to having two car (truck) payments.
      I'm with you there. They are really sharp looking trucks but and would love to have one to tool around in but i cant justify the cost (payment and fuel) of adding another thirsty v8 to the stable.

Vehicles
      01-08-2013 03:19 PM #733
      Looks like a blast!!
      I'm part way through a week long ski trip, we drove the Rover down about 450 miles to the ski house...should have a few pictures when we get back
      waiting for said pics of rover in snow..

Vehicles
      Some Germans, a Brit, an Austrian, and a Yank
      01-08-2013 04:06 PM #734
      I know someone who needs a winch.
      >pər-fikt

35. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-08-2013 04:43 PM #735
      Quote Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
      waiting for said pics of rover in snow..
      wasnt a ton of fresh stuff, but ill have pictures in the next day or two now that im finally home

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast