Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: B4 Cruise Control & Fuse Box

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf 2.5, 1984 VW Rabbit GTI, 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel L, 1984 Mercedes Benz 300TD Wagon
      12-11-2006 07:13 PM #1
      My cruise control just ain't workin. I thought it mighta' been because I'm blond, a girl, and just plain stupid, but it doesn't work.

I'm figuring it's just that the wiring for it or the fuse has gone bad/blown, considering the rest of my intrerior's electrical components work (excluding the sunroof. it's now a moonroof.), but any other ideas?

If it's a blown fuse of some kind (would it be?) Where is the fuse box on a B4 passat? I haven't even tried looking for it yet.

I'd rather be able to locate the problem and alleviate it myself than pay the import guy down the street to do it.

www.rabbitabby.com \\ tattoo artist @ sacred skin tattoos & piercings, dsm ia
      http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...an/withsig.jpg

2. 12-11-2006 07:50 PM #2
      Auto? Manual?

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf 2.5, 1984 VW Rabbit GTI, 1981 VW Rabbit Diesel L, 1984 Mercedes Benz 300TD Wagon
      12-11-2006 07:59 PM #3
      Manual transmission

Vehicles
      e36 M3, 14 FiST
      12-12-2006 10:56 AM #4
      someone here, dont remember the username, claims that most every case like this is either a vaccum leak or a bad solder in the CC computer.

The CC in my corrado doesnt work either

Vehicles
      1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel
      12-12-2006 11:12 AM #5
      Fuse box is under the dash to the left of the wheel under a small cover that is labeled with the items run off of each fuse.

The cruise control module is behind the little cubby in the center console. Its requires a minor disassembly to get to. The fusebox is easy to get to.

6. 12-12-2006 11:14 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by WannaCorrado »
      someone here, dont remember the username, claims that most every case like this is either a vaccum leak or a bad solder in the CC computer.

The CC in my corrado doesnt work either

My corrado had a vacuum leak. It was behind the dash.

The fuse box for the passat is under the dash on the drivers side. Near the foot pedals.

Vehicles
      '96 Fiant Puntamara
      12-12-2006 11:28 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by wallride »
      ... I'm blond, a girl, and just plain stupid...

My kinda gal. A recent photograph would be nice, thank you.

Vehicles
      12-13-2006 10:37 PM #8
      Quote »
      My kinda gal. A recent photograph would be nice, thank you

Hey now be nice

If it is a vacuum leak, what the heck do I need to do in order to correct it? As for the soldering, i'm SOL there..

9. 12-14-2006 01:02 AM #9
      have the same issue in my B4. The power mirrors, and rear windows simply do not work. I blame a fuse, but what fuse. I cant find any reference to the CC on the fuse box cover. What fuse is for CC?

Vehicles
      '96 Fiant Puntamara
      12-14-2006 09:45 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by wallride »
      Hey now be nice

If it is a vacuum leak, what the heck do I need to do in order to correct it? As for the soldering, i'm SOL there..

Hey, I AM being nice
      If I was to be mean, I would've posted this:

Vehicles
      12-14-2006 07:19 PM #11
      Hey now, diggin into my pictures that i obviously have posted in my bio!

But forreal. How do I fix the vacuum leak, if it is one?

Vehicles
      '93 Passat, '90 LA5T GTI, '72 Bus
      12-14-2006 09:36 PM #12
      First step is to check if you have a leak. The way to do that is to remove the vacuum line from the C/C vacuum pump, which is on the left fender right behind the windshield washer jug. You'll definitely have to remove the battery, and probably the windshield washier jug as well, unless you can reach it without removing the jug. Plug the end of that vacuum line with something, a golf tee works great in my experience.

Next, remove the plastic trim underneath the dashboard.

Push the brake pedal down by hand just until resistance is felt (this opens up the vent valve that is activated by the bake pedal), and then push the throttle control element diaphragm in (black round thing about 3 inches across, right about the gas pedal). Release the brake pedal, and then the throttle control diaphragm. If the end of the vacuum line (by the pump) is sealed completely, the diaphragm shouldn't move. If it doesn't, then there's no vacuum leak and you probably have an electrical problem. If you know you have a good seal at the end of the vacuum line, and the diaphragm moves, you have a leak somewhere. The trick is then to actually find the leak.

There are a number of possible places to have a leak. The first thing to check is the hoses. Start under the hood, the hose that is attached to the vacuum pump is the most likely one to sustain damage. Look for cracks, you may have to squeeze the hose to expose them. Then check the vacuum lines under the dashboard.

If the hoses are good, test the brake vent valve. It's a little blue unit about 2" long and 1/2" wide right above the brake pedal. Take the vacuum line off it and plug it (make sure the other plug is still there), and do the test again, except this time you'll have to use the clutch pedal instead of the brake pedal to open up the vent valve in order to push the throttle control diaphragm.

If the diaphragm doesn't move, then the problem probably lies with the vent valve on the brake pedal. If it still moves, then check the clutch vent valve.

Reattach the vacuum line to the brake valve, and remove the vacuum line on the clutch valve and plug it. The clutch valve should look the same as the brake valve. Do the test again, use the brake pedal to open up the system so you can push the diaphragm again. Release the brake, then the diaphragm, and if the diaphragm doesn't move, then the problem probably lies with the clutch valve.

If neither valve leaks and you still have a leak somewhere, it's probably with the throttle control element.

Hope that made sense.

Vehicles
      12-15-2006 12:03 AM #13
      Quote »
      Hope that made sense

Sense enough for me to give it a try and check it out Thanks much!!

14. 12-15-2006 01:01 AM #14
      wallride, sorry for hijacking...

anyone know which fuse is for CC. Don't force me to get out my Bentley, I'm tired

Vehicles
      12-15-2006 01:07 AM #15
      hijack all you want good buddy.. one dead thread is another man's treasure.

Vehicles
      '96 Fiant Puntamara
      12-15-2006 08:03 AM #16
      True.... on our Bulgarian VW forum they lock threads after the intial
      question is answered.... Then a week or so later some n00b pops it again..

Vehicles
      1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel
      12-15-2006 10:12 AM #17
      This is just off the top of my head, but I think the actual CC fuse is not in the fusebox but rather one of the ones hanging up above, but I can't think of which one it is.

I've replaced my CC module with no success, but I don't know if my donor car's CC worked. I'm pretty sure I have a vacuum leak but I'm not motivated enough to find it.

18. 12-15-2006 08:01 PM #18
      All of the CC failures I have seen are the vacuum pump. It is located next to the battery in the fender. When it releases vacuum, dirt gets sucked in and eventually the little valves don't seal and it can't draw enough vacuum to depress the accelerator pedal. On mine, I unplugged it and ran wires to it direct from the battery and it couldn't even pull the pedal down at all. I pulled the vac hose off of it and connected it to my Mity-Vac and it pulled the pedal down easy so I know that leaks are not the problem. I chose not to pay $300+ for a new one.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI 1996 Passat wagon RIP
      12-15-2006 10:09 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by A2B4guy »
      All of the CC failures I have seen are the vacuum pump. It is located next to the battery in the fender....I chose not to pay $300+ for a new one.

That tiny thing is $300???

Vehicles
      '93 Passat, '90 LA5T GTI, '72 Bus
      12-16-2006 02:00 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by thecreeper »

That tiny thing is $300???

guess what the ABS module costs!

Vehicles
      1996 VW Passat GLX VR6
      01-04-2007 08:13 PM #21
      My CC worked GREAT until - VWOA replaced my ignition switch(recall) and it hasn't worked correctly since. Maybe a cut wire in the column? Buggers...