Folks, I am hoping some of the experts here can give me some advice. Thanks in advance for any help!
1) GLI G60 Turbo. Approx. 30K miles on motor w/ Supercharger (15psi) and then about 20K miles w/ Turbo (8psi)
2) Uses IHI RHB5 . . . an even rarer version than the Subaru/Mazda/Ford one : "Turbo: Spec: 9502, PartsNo: 5T-559" . . . it seems to be a descedant of the ones used in Callaway VW Turbo kits.
3) Techtonics stainless steel 2.5" exhaust with TT VR6 Cat
4) Autotech Supercharger Cam (from 1995 or so), Autothority Stage III (for Supercharged setup), and Porsche 944S FPR (4bar) -- otherwise, engine internals are STOCK G60.
5) As you may know, the turbo fitment is TIGHT.
1) Looks like Turbo seals are gone -- it is peeing oil everywhere under passenger side . . . looked from underneath, it seems to be seal just above oil return on Turbo housing
2) Note: All engine seals have now been replaced within the last 5K miles
3) Would LOVE to move to a more "universal" Turbo if possible (e.g. T3): low cost, ease of repair, reliability, good performance; also easier to deal w/ possible 16V or xflow head in future, etc. etc.
Question/Options (Please keep in mind I want to keep costs low):
1) Just find another IHI RHB5 in the junkyard/eBay (see if it will fit), rebuild it, replace the existing one and then have the existing one rebuilt so that I have the "in use" one and a spare?
2) Use IHI to T3 adaptor (http://www.bmcrace.com/products/adapters/) to mount T3 -- will it fit? Any other work to be done?
3) Replace a perfectly good Turbo exhaust manifold with the T3 version and mount a T3
4) Other options/opinions?
It is now a daily driver that I love to drive . . .
Modified by papichulo7 at 10:36 AM 12-19-2006