Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: G60 Turbo . . . Rebuild or Replace???

1. 12-17-2006 09:38 AM #1
      Folks, I am hoping some of the experts here can give me some advice. Thanks in advance for any help!

Background
      1) GLI G60 Turbo. Approx. 30K miles on motor w/ Supercharger (15psi) and then about 20K miles w/ Turbo (8psi)
      2) Uses IHI RHB5 . . . an even rarer version than the Subaru/Mazda/Ford one : "Turbo: Spec: 9502, PartsNo: 5T-559" . . . it seems to be a descedant of the ones used in Callaway VW Turbo kits.
      3) Techtonics stainless steel 2.5" exhaust with TT VR6 Cat
      4) Autotech Supercharger Cam (from 1995 or so), Autothority Stage III (for Supercharged setup), and Porsche 944S FPR (4bar) -- otherwise, engine internals are STOCK G60.
      5) As you may know, the turbo fitment is TIGHT.

Issue:
      1) Looks like Turbo seals are gone -- it is peeing oil everywhere under passenger side . . . looked from underneath, it seems to be seal just above oil return on Turbo housing
      2) Note: All engine seals have now been replaced within the last 5K miles
      3) Would LOVE to move to a more "universal" Turbo if possible (e.g. T3): low cost, ease of repair, reliability, good performance; also easier to deal w/ possible 16V or xflow head in future, etc. etc.

Question/Options (Please keep in mind I want to keep costs low):
      1) Just find another IHI RHB5 in the junkyard/eBay (see if it will fit), rebuild it, replace the existing one and then have the existing one rebuilt so that I have the "in use" one and a spare?
      2) Use IHI to T3 adaptor (http://www.bmcrace.com/products/adapters/) to mount T3 -- will it fit? Any other work to be done?
      3) Replace a perfectly good Turbo exhaust manifold with the T3 version and mount a T3
      4) Other options/opinions?

It is now a daily driver that I love to drive . . .

Thank you!!

Modified by papichulo7 at 10:36 AM 12-19-2006

Vehicles
      91 Corrado 16vt, 97 Lexus LX450, 11 Subaru LGT, 89 Jetta 1.6d HE200, 03 Bigfoot 24SL 7.3L 4x4
      12-17-2006 10:51 AM #2
      Personally, I'd replace the exhaust mani w/ a T3 one. That would give you a lot more options in the future as well. You could offset the cost by going w/ a log mani (e.g. Zornig). If instead you go w/ the IHI/T3 adapter, you're going to be eating up a lot of precious clearance w/ the firewall. Good luck.

3. 12-17-2006 11:21 AM #3
      jmaddocks: Thanks for your feedback!

Sorry, what is a "log mani (e.g. Zornig)"? Do you have a link?

Yes, believe me I know about the clearance issue with the current setup -- I don't dig the adaptor plate idea, *but*, it could be a cost effective interim solution that keeps me going as I figure out the long-term next steps ... esp. if I could somehow use downpipe and other pieces already there (and paid for )

BTW, what about weight? is a T3 much heavier than a RHB5? I can't find stats on that -- I have heard turbo weight can be an issue for this setup (i.e., manifold etc.)??

Thanks again for the info.

Vehicles
      91 Corrado 16vt, 97 Lexus LX450, 11 Subaru LGT, 89 Jetta 1.6d HE200, 03 Bigfoot 24SL 7.3L 4x4
      12-17-2006 11:14 PM #4
      Yeah, the cheapest and simplest solution would be to find another IHI turbo. If you've been happy with the performance, maybe you can look for a replacement for the IHI, and if you don't find one within a month or so, go with a T3 manifold and turbo.

Send "Kooter" or "Zornig" an IM to see if they make an 8v log manifold w/ a T3 flange. In retrospect, they may not, since the ATP 8v cast manifold is so much cheaper than the 16v one ($275 and $449, respectively). I know they make 16v log manifolds.

You can fabricate a bracket to help support the weight of the turbo to prevent manifold cracks. I've got an aluminum turnbuckle from the turbine housing to one of the valvecover bolts -- however, I know how little space you have between your intake and exhaust manifolds!

5. 12-17-2006 11:24 PM #5
      Thank you . . . much appreciated and I was thinking similar (i.e. hunt for IHI for now, even though I hate that thing ).

Believe me, I am oh-so-tempted to just do the T3; but maybe it has to wait for the $$$ to do it right (i.e. with a 16V Head, nice manifold, engine rebuild, etc. ) or just leave the car as-is and do the "crazy" stuff on something else.

I will send Kooter and Zornig an IM.

Thanks

6. 12-18-2006 06:33 PM #6
      Bump for any additional recommendations/feedback.

Thanks

Vehicles
      Touran TDI , Golf Cabriolet , Golf GTI , Beetle.
      12-20-2006 04:48 PM #7
      Hi,

there is a IHI Callaway Turbo+Manifold for sale now
      search for threads posted by polskiepunk.

he is willing to sell his Callaway mk2 kit

good luck

Callaway C1 registry vault president./member Callaway Owners Group
      VW Golf mk1 Cabriolet Sportline with Callaway stage 3 engine, engine nearly ready.
      VW Golf mk2 GTI , project dead car to be rebuild Callaway GTI Turbo stage 3 with BBS bodykit and wheels.
      VW Beetle , project dead car to be rebuild Porsche Speedster 356 kitcar.

8. 12-23-2006 10:25 PM #8
      Thanks for the info . . . appreciate that.

9. 12-24-2006 05:17 AM #9
      Try fixing the oil return first if its just leaking there, thats a minor seal. If it were an internal seal you would be puking oil out your exhaust.

Maybe look into having an IHI/T3 hybrid made, with an RHB5 turbine and a T3 60 trim compressor or have the RHB5 turbine housing machined to fit a T3 turbine wheel. That will save you some on getting a new manifold and downpipe.

Switching to a crossflow head is pretty easy and will give you a ton more room for the turbo and piping, without changing the compression ratio.

10. 12-24-2006 07:29 AM #10
      all-starr-me: Please tell me more! I don't think there is any oil in the exhaust (would be a lot of white smoke and the unmistakable burning oil, right?). Just quite a bit of oil (everyday!) on the pass. side A arm. . . . it is coming from up high around the turbo area.

Any suggestion for what place may be able to make the IHI/T3 hybrid you suggested?? I am interested in this concept to preserve what I can (manifold) and keep the *little* space I've got left w/ the current setup.

Plus, everyone says the RHB5 is supposed to spool quickly (though I don't feel big kick until 3000 RPMs).

Thanks for these suggestions, really appreciate this!

Also, any good thread here you can think of that would be useful about the Xflow swap onto a PG?

Quote, originally posted by all-starr-me »
      Try fixing the oil return first if its just leaking there, thats a minor seal. If it were an internal seal you would be puking oil out your exhaust.

Maybe look into having an IHI/T3 hybrid made, with an RHB5 turbine and a T3 60 trim compressor or have the RHB5 turbine housing machined to fit a T3 turbine wheel. That will save you some on getting a new manifold and downpipe.

Switching to a crossflow head is pretty easy and will give you a ton more room for the turbo and piping, without changing the compression ratio.

Modified by papichulo7 at 7:58 AM 12-24-2006

Modified by papichulo7 at 8:00 AM 12-24-2006

11. 12-25-2006 01:13 AM #11
      yeah there would be a ton of smoke and burning oil because your cat would be full of it.

I'm not sure where to send you for such a hybrid, but maybe try asking killa if he knows or google-ing for turbo rebuilders. Most bigger rebuilders that have machining and balancing capabilities should be able to do it. you should see spool pretty quick with that IHI, when does boost start? You might want to find an RHB5 from a mazda mx3 GT/ford probe GT to use as a base for the rebuild. They use the same pattern turbine as your's. if yours is damaged if won't spool as fast, and it will save time having the car down.

heres a few threads on X-flow G60 builds: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2987090, http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2870529, http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=1, http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1344059

12. 12-25-2006 02:02 AM #12
      Great info -- Thank you, I really appreciate this!

Boost actually really starts @ 3000 RPM -- not very impressed by that. I will contact "killa" to see if he has any info

Thanks for the links too -- they are great.