Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Seafoam your 12v VR6 (could apply to other engines)

1. 08-10-2007 06:31 PM #101
      just did this today before i did an oil change, i didnt get as much smoke as you made it seem tho?
      Old: mk4 2001 Matchstick Red JTI VR6 5sp - giac cam chip, 262 cams, ram air intake, catless borla exhaust, coilovers, 17" work equips, filled hood notch/badgeless grill, shaved fenders, euro rub strip, satin black b-pillars/roof...traded in
      New: mk6 2011 CSG GTI 6sp - cts turbo downpipe/intake, eibach pro street coilovers, dieselgeek shortshifter...work in progress

2. 08-11-2007 10:30 AM #102
      One more thumbs up for this stuff. Takes only 5-10 minutes to do total, and makes a definite improvement. I did it this morning at about 75000 miles and she runs like she did when I got her at 30000. Go do this now!!!!

3. 08-12-2007 07:45 PM #103
      Another positive comment. This stuff is incredible. It works wonders...
      I have 109,000 on the clock and she is purring like a kitten... great idle, smooth power... It is like a different car!!!!

Vehicles
      93 SLC, 07 Legacy GT, 93 YJ
      08-12-2007 08:15 PM #104
      Quote, originally posted by Hadzo »
      OK, we need to get this straight. Some here say you do some say you don't. Logistics tell me that you don't unless you are adding sea foam to the oil line.
      If this stuff is so strong that even after introducing it through your intake and by some miracle enough of it survives and leaks out to the cylinder => on pistons => pass the rings => mix in with your oil and thin it out (we are talking minute amounts of it leaking in) then I don’t want it anywhere near my car let alone in my car.
      But I don’t think that’s the case, so NO I don’t think you need an oil change.

I know I'm right, but i could be wrong, but I could be right when I'm wrong so then I am right even if I'm wrong.
      Don't even say it, yeah yeah, "Get rich or try dieing" was alright

You forgot this:
      You are adding something to the combustion chamber that rapidly expands. this raises the pressures inside the combustion chamber. you WILL get blow by through the rings.
      Heck, even a slightly worn out engine that is due for an oil change gets fuel blown into the crank case past the rings.

Vehicles
      2004 A4 Avant, Alleged 1.8T MK3
      08-30-2007 12:59 PM #105
      Would it be a bad idea to use this seafoam engine treatment on a 1.8T that is burning a small amount of oil. I have a feeling I might have some leaky valve seals....
      Anyone think that it might help take care of my oil burning issue? The motor only has 50K
      Whats the best place to add seafoam on a turbo car?
      N.E.K.

6. 08-30-2007 01:45 PM #106
      Great thread, I'm sold. When adding the **** to your oil, can you literally pour 1/4 bottle down through the top of your engine?

7. 08-30-2007 05:35 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by jettasmooth »
      Would it be a bad idea to use this seafoam engine treatment on a 1.8T that is burning a small amount of oil. I have a feeling I might have some leaky valve seals....
      Anyone think that it might help take care of my oil burning issue? The motor only has 50K
      Whats the best place to add seafoam on a turbo car?

we did my buddys 1.8t right before mine and with his we used that lil vacuum hose ontop of the manifold

Vehicles
      1996 VR6 Passat, 2003 1.8T Passat
      09-03-2007 09:44 PM #108

Good stuff, I am a fan [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

05-24-2008 11:48 AM #109
      i ont know if its beens covered yet. but we did this to my buddy's evo and after the sencon time doing it it clogged his cat.
      this is great for your car, yes. but doing it ofen can clog your cat. what its oing is removing carbon and junk build up from your motor. what is the point of our cat? to block/trap excessive junk from exiting your exhaust. so just be forewarned.
      also, i wouldnt suggest putting it in your oil. it thins it out A LOT. i just dont see 1 oil change being able to get it all out.
      someone also asked why you have to change your oil immediatly after:
      well, the seafoam is liquid, therefore is not comppressing like the fuel and air mixture thats supposed to be in your engine. that means then when your pistons try to compress the fuel/air/seafoam mix, the seafoam doesnt compress and slips past your rings. it then gets into your oil and does what i just explained. this is why you should change your oil immedietly, not soon.
      FYI, when i did it the first time (2dys after driving from san fran to NY) i had a wall 4 blocks long and 2 lanes thick. an thats just when i was putting the stiff in. when i drove, it took about 2 miles to start to slow down and dissapate. i thought i was going to get areested for sure....it was bitchin

10. 07-04-2008 08:19 AM #110
      I guess my question would be, that little bit that slips past the rings which would require an immediate oil change, how is that different than the directions which suggest adding a little Seafoam to your oil? It seems like the same thing to me.
      edit: realizing this has been beat to death, I'm thinking the 1/4 cup of seafoam going into the intake, assuming most of it burns, that leaves like a tablespoon going into 6 qt of oil. I could probably drive my car with a tablespoon of coffee creamer in the oil... Not suggesting it's a good idea (the coffee creamer).
      Secondly, wondering if oil weight has any effect; or synthetic v. conventional. Just food for thought, not trying to be difficult.

Modified by CaseyVR6 at 5:32 AM 7-4-2008

Vehicles
      03 1.8t Jetta, 90 wolfsburg Jetta, 85 GLi
      07-04-2008 02:00 PM #111
      I want to do this with my car. Its a 96 VR GTi with 173k miles on it. I have had the injectors completely serviced and the car ran much better...but with as many miles on my car as it has I wanna do everything I can to make it run even better. My question is, why is it recommended that you do this so often? It seems to me that if you clean out most of the crap out of your car with one use, maybe two how is it possible that in 3-5k miles it will need to be flushed again?

Vehicles
      93 VW Corrado and 96 Toyota Camry
      07-04-2008 02:56 PM #112
      Quote, originally posted by 03turbo916 »
      I want to do this with my car. Its a 96 VR GTi with 173k miles on it. I have had the injectors completely serviced and the car ran much better...but with as many miles on my car as it has I wanna do everything I can to make it run even better. My question is, why is it recommended that you do this so often? It seems to me that if you clean out most of the crap out of your car with one use, maybe two how is it possible that in 3-5k miles it will need to be flushed again?

i havent seafoam my corrado yet, but i did seafoam my camry and about 4,000 miles later, it seemed to need another seafoam treatment.

Vehicles
      07-04-2008 03:31 PM #113
      Kinda makes me wonder how much this actually works...and will you get to a point where you have done it enough times so that there is just no more crap in the engine and its "like new"I mean, I am sure it works, and does clean things up...but how much? 10% of the crap?...20?

07-04-2008 03:38 PM #114
      not to be rude, but i think your asking to many dan questions. just do it and see if you like it. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

15. 07-04-2008 04:02 PM #115
      i've done this on 3 cars, a ford, a really old carburated toyota, and my VW, all smoke like holy poo. the results veried but were noticable, best one was the toyota, second was the VW (vr6).
      I did all 3 steps - oil, fuel, air
      A few suggestions:
      shut the car off while you're sucking seafoam in the intake, that way it settles on the intake and cylinder walls, and does it's work better. I kindof logically came up with this....
      perhaps driving the car to heat up the cat would help burn up the crap in it instead of letting it clogup. so drive her good!
      A question:
      for the intake exercise, could a mist spray bottle be used into the intake? perhaps past the maf (to prevent demage) I think it would burnup better that way... ideas?

Vehicles
      98 Jetta Stage 3 VRT, 350K+miles 95 Passat, 99 Golf Wolfsburg, 93 Corrado SLC, 82 Diesel Jetta
      07-04-2008 04:04 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by VRsuper6 »
      someone also asked why you have to change your oil immediatly after:
      well, the seafoam is liquid, therefore is not comppressing like the fuel and air mixture thats supposed to be in your engine. that means then when your pistons try to compress the fuel/air/seafoam mix, the seafoam doesnt compress and slips past your rings. it then gets into your oil and does what i just explained. this is why you should change your oil immedietly, not soon.

would this be the same as pouring this stuff in the gas tank since its also being sprayed in the combustion camber? ur telling me i have to change my oil if i use this in my gas tank cause its possible to seep past the rings? if u seafoam through the intake manifold (while the motor is up to temp) wouldnt it evaporate fromt the heat b4 it gets a chance to make its way past the rings

17. 07-04-2008 04:24 PM #117
      just do it before the oil change... do you really wanna take the chance with gunk floating around your motor for months?
      i don't think it evaporates that easy, because when you do the vacuum cleaning, you shut the car off, let it sit (hot) then start it and stuff is still coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Vehicles
      07-04-2008 04:45 PM #118
      [qoute] not to be rude, but i think your asking to many dan questions. just do it and see if you like it. [/qoute]
      I plan on doing it, but I am curious if you get better results doing it repeatedly, and if so is it because it doesn't clean all or most of it out at once and there is still crap in the engine that needs to be cleaned, or does it work like sanding sheet metal...cleans up real nice and is bright and shiny but removes a natural protectant (paint) unsealing it and allowing it to corrode faster? Besides...having more information can never been seen as a bad thing [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

19. 07-30-2009 10:28 PM #119
      does anyone know where i can locate the brake boost line on an 05 gli? im seriously mechanically inclined so the more detailed the response the better. thanks all

Vehicles
      95 gti VR, 02 bitch basket (killed), 85 suzuki 550 twin turbo bobber, 99 Suburban
      07-31-2009 08:51 AM #120
      if your seriously mechanically inclined, DO NOT seafoam your car
      fomerly VRsuper6 before banhammer

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot762 View Post
      Yeah I'm gonna go with a dick
      VW/car-related stickers and t-shirts at Dirty Pirate Graphics

21. 07-31-2009 10:32 AM #121
      Why should you not Seafoam your car?
      Our balls are this close to the bandsaw.

Vehicles
      95 gti VR, 02 bitch basket (killed), 85 suzuki 550 twin turbo bobber, 99 Suburban
      07-31-2009 10:33 AM #122
      thats not what i said

23. 07-31-2009 10:59 AM #123
      Oh my mistake.
      Our balls are this close to the bandsaw.

Vehicles
      07-31-2009 11:41 AM #124
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

25. 07-31-2009 03:09 PM #125
      well im not as inclined as i may have lead on. i do basic maintance on my cars, this guy wrote up a great diy so i figured i would give it a shot. this is my first 1.8t so its all new to me, all my other cars have been vr6's.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast