Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 93 golf with 00515 - Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40): Open or Short to B+

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      01-07-2007 04:46 PM #1
      As the title says. I've swapped out the dizzy with another one and get the same code. The voltage at the dizzy is 5vdc at pins 2&3. I've checked another car and it had 12vdc at the same pins. I have to check all connections between dizzy and ECU still, but is this a sign that the ECU maybe going bad? Any ideas are welcome.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

01-08-2007 12:50 PM #2
      Did you install a new dizzy or used?
      The word "MINT" by vortex standards means only one of the wheels has curb rash, and only one of the tires is usable.

I BUY ALL SUPER NINTENDO RELATED ITEMS, PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANNA GET RID OF THEM AND MAKE SOME LOOT, THANKS!

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      01-08-2007 07:26 PM #3
      it ia a used dizzy. But, I'm pretty sure the code is because it's has 5vdc to the hall sender. The injectors have 12vdc, but the line to the hall sender and TPS is only 5vdc with both disconnected, so I'm thinking the ECU (which supplies the voltage) is bad. I did check another car and it had 12vdc at pins 2&3 at the hall sender.

01-11-2007 09:47 AM #4
      before you drop money on an ecm, check the big ground connection on the block. Its kinda right behind the alternator, 3 ground wires that connect into one and then bolt to the block. If its a bad connection or really dirty you will have those type of problems. Plus your main harness on the engine is directly connected to that ground. I'd also check the other grounds to see if they are in tune as well.

Definitly check the one big one on the block first though

The word "MINT" by vortex standards means only one of the wheels has curb rash, and only one of the tires is usable.

I BUY ALL SUPER NINTENDO RELATED ITEMS, PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANNA GET RID OF THEM AND MAKE SOME LOOT, THANKS!

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      01-11-2007 07:55 PM #5
      I have checked continuity from the ground at the hall sender and the injectors, the thing that makes me think ECU is the 12vdc to the injectors is good bur the 12vdc to the sender/tps is at 5vdc. I've found an ECU from another vortexer for $50 shipped. Worth the money for troubleshooting and poss chipping.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      01-27-2007 08:30 PM #6
      Well, back to the drawing board. The car died on my wife last week, so I waited for the ECU to arrive. It has arrived and no change in symptoms. 5vdc at the dizzy and doesn't run. The books and tools(most of 'em anyway) are at the shop. Somewhere the voltage/signal is getting lost. Guess I'll have to go point to point and dig deep to figure this one out.

I will double check the ground on the block and anty other I can find. Although the ground from the dizzy to the batt is less than 2 or 3 ohms.

Vehicles
      91 GTI ABA-T, 97 GTI VR, 06 MkIV Golf, 13 DE GTI, 13 Touareg TDI Executive Edition
      01-28-2007 12:58 PM #7
      Cross reference the part number from the dizzy you installed with a dealership. It might be possible that you put an obdII dizzy on an obdI car (or visa-versa).

Either way, I highly doubt it's the ECU. When ECU's go bad, you get the weirdest codes ever (talking about ROM errors and things like that). You can reference those in the back of the bentley.

Modified by PBWB at 1:00 PM 1-28-2007

-Apple
      Articulated Speed Solutions FTW
      Quote Originally Posted by slcturbo View Post
      I dont care what you or anyone else "thinks" they have done. We're all just racing for fun on here whether you run 9's or 17's.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      01-28-2007 01:48 PM #8
      dizzy came from a OBDI car. I'm really thinking I've got a wiring issue. Just wish it wasn't so cold outside. Chasing wires with cold hands sucks.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      01-28-2007 10:06 PM #9
      After checking wires this afternoon, I have 5vdc from the ECU to the TPS and Hall sender. All other sensors off the ECU have 12vdc. Both ECU's have the same voltages. I don't have another mkIII handy, but the one I was able to check did have 12vdc at the Hall sender. So, I still think have an ECU problem.

But, it has another problem. I checked cylinders 1&4 and they only have 30#'s compression. So, either the timing jumped , the cylinders got washed down with gas or something else mechanical happenned.

I guess it dragged down to the shop and some midnight oil gets burned.

Modified by ps2375 at 8:09 PM 1-28-2007

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      02-18-2007 11:24 AM #10
      Well, now I know why the motor wouldn't start. After trying 2 different ECU's and getting same voltages and checking 2 other cars and getting 2 different readings, I figured either the wiring is really f**** or something else is up. And having done a compression check and getting 30#'s I knew the mech timing was off. So I set the crank at TDC and the cam and dizzy were off (I figured as much). So, I pulled it aprt to inspect the tensioner and belt and to reset it. The tension on the belt was OK and the belt (which both are only 2yrs old and maybe 20k mi on them) was fine, no missing teeth or excessive wear. So I set the timing, put it all together and it started right up within half a crank and ran for about 30-45 sec and died and wouldn't restart! I tried the other ECU's and no start, then I checked the mech timing and it was OFF again! Anyway, turns out the crank sprocket's key has worn off and that is why the timing is changing. I'm thinking it was at the last of the key and timing was off just enough to cause the code(not the expected code!!!) and still run then when the key finnally broke and the gear slipped and threw timing way out it stopped running. You really have to look closely at the gear to even see where the key was on it, and the crank looks fine. So, monday I'll have to get a new gear and I bet(HOPE) the thing runs fine. I just wish the code would've pointed in a more mechcanical direction than electrical. I had figured after it quit running I had something mechcanical along with the first problem ,but didn't think they could be the same thing.

Modified by ps2375 at 9:29 AM 2-18-2007

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      02-20-2007 01:03 AM #11

It runs with the new crank sprocket!!! No codes!!! The timing was off enough to throw a code, but not a very good one. All three ECU's work. That is one for the memory bank.

12. 02-20-2007 02:00 AM #12
      good to hear you got it goin!

Quote, originally posted by PBWB »
      When ECU's go bad, you get the weirdest codes ever (talking about ROM errors and things like that).

sounds like my eip chip.. freakin rom errors and runnin like a bag.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      02-20-2007 09:48 PM #13
      Well, on the way home tonite it threw a CEL. I'll have to get it down to the shop to vag it. It runs fine, just a cel. It may have to do with the newspeed chip that's in it. Didn't have one prior, so I may go back to stock chip since I don't really notice a difference. Before it ran like poo with the sprocket going bad, so it could be anything.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      02-21-2007 07:16 PM #14
      Whew, that was close, the O2 sensor connector wasn't fully connected. It's been months since I had pulled the CAT cause it was rattling.