Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "Track 'Rado" :: Tons of Pics

Vehicles
      '00 Audi A4 Avant 1.8BTQM, '01 Saab 9-5 Aero, '90 VW Corrado, '11 Mazda3 S 5dr, '93 Ford SMB
      01-17-2007 01:29 PM #1
      page 1:: general tear down and discovery

page 2: bumper shave, brake duct inlet, sand blasting, new seat and bracket

page 3: engine removal/clean-up and bay strip

page 4: bay prep and paint

page 5: block paint

page 6: camber plate install, bay prep for engine, cross member paint/install, engine install

page 7: first panels painted, body prep for paint

page 8: aluminum dash insert w/ guages, wiring schematic

page 9: dash wiring, switches, relays, etc

page 10: engine start, front brake setup

page 11: fiberglass sunroof panel, first shake down runs, bumper inlet work, SLC wheels

page 12: rollbar test fit/paint, custom seat bracket design, sunroof panel initial fitment, alum PS
      and coolant res install

page 13: custom water temp sensor fitting, rear bumper shave, sunroof panel install, general body
      work, paint booth creation, primer coat on car

page 14: interior wrap-up, custom seat brackets/seat installed, engine wire lumes

page 15: alum radio box, fire extinguisher, parking lot debut of car/paint, etc

page 16: final prep, track debut @ LRP

page 17: more LRP pics, custom chin spoiler/splitter, rear diffuser, side skirts, vinyl graphics, NJMP08, stage II MS shifter, car tear down for new engine and full cage

page 18: more stage II MS shifter & linkage, new engine prep

Original Start of Thread

hey guys. I had thought about posting our track car project earlier, but had wanted to wait until we started to have some real “obvious” results, ie: de-rusted, fresh paint, some race equipment installed, etc. But I’m bored at work and figured posting now is as good of a time as any.

The History
      marked001 and I met on Audizine a few years back. We both of course owned audi’s at the time; he, a 99.5 silver B5 A4 1.8TQM sedan, and myself a 2000 black B5 A4 1.8TQM Avant. Somewhere along the history, he and I both started tracking the audi’s (Pocono, Watkins Glen, Beaverun, etc) over the next few years we quickly developed a desire for more track time. Our Audi’s were more than up for the task, both of which were tastefully modded, most everything done with track speed/handling in mind. Before long marked001 decided it was time to move on and ended up selling his A4 and replaced it with an SUV (at the time I couldn’t appreciate the purchase). So we were left with my grocery getter to share between the two of us on the track. Obviously the more we tracked our daily driver audi’s the more we wanted to find our own dedicated track cars. But with both of us on a budget (house, wives, gf's etc) we began to realize that funding our own track cars just wasn’t gonna happen. Naturally we talked about going in together on a track car build-up… blah, blah, blah… which is why we are here today.

In our search for the ideal track car, we toyed with a few different ideas. First was the Subaru RS2.5. After much research, we realized we just weren’t gonna find an RS cheap enough to start with. Of course older BMW’s, Porsche’s, Datsun’s, VW Rabbits and even Mazda’s were potential candidates, but ultimately, we both had our eye set on one car in the VAG family… an SLC ‘rado.

The Car
      After months of searching, and a few cars we tried to pull the trigger on, we finally saw a post here on the ‘tex that could potentially work for us. Obviously our budget for the purchase price of the car wasn’t the best, but we were open-minded. marked001 found a post from January ’06 of a car here in NY that could possibly work. The car was originally listed for $2500 back in Jan ’06. At some point later that year the owner bumped up his thread and dumped the price to $1200. Turns out the car was a ’90 G60, tornado red with a VR6 swap (95 Passat) and was being kept up in Massachusetts. After a few days and some negotiation, the owner agreed to an $800 price. The car “ran”, but was in need of a new battery and some fine tuning. We made the trek up to Mass, rented a dolly locally, dropped by, gave the owner’s sister in law $800 cash, jumped started it, got it up on the dolly and drove away (notice I didn’t say anything about inspecting the car). I guess after a 7 hour drive for marked001 (he’s in Philly and I’m in Brooklyn) we were going home with a car. Oh, did I mention it was his SUV that towed the rado home ;-)

Since we really had no place to put the car, marked001 had to tow it all the way back to Philly where it stayed for a month or two on the street. Since it was parked on the street, not much was accomplished because the car had to remain operational. I did spend one weekend ripping out the entire interior. After talking to the owner of my building here in Brooklyn, I was able to secure a spot to store and work on the rado on the first floor of my building, which is a large open concrete space. Keep in mind, we are still in the tear down phase with a long, long… long ways to go. So without further ado, here are some pics…

rado being brought up to Brooklyn – notice tow vehicle

after pressure washing the engine – yes, it started right up afterwards.

the new home

what we get for not inspecting the car

my little helper

prep for rust prevention

oh gawd the insanity of it all

after a good 8 hours of untangling that mess and removing what we didn’t need

can’t forget our only “mod” so far ;-)

so that’s where it’s at as of today. again, we are still in tear down mode. we have a few projects on the table. the dash is being fitted with an aluminum panel to stretch over the entire front opening; from driver’s vent across and down the center console area. it will be filled with autometer pro comp gauges. we have a 4-pnt roll bar that is being refinished in satin or flat black. we already have our corbeau seat picked out. Right now we are trying to source a cherry picker so we can pull the engine and re-spray the bay as well as de-rust the engine components. Once she starts to come together, we’ll be repainting the car. We have a scheme in mind, but haven’t pulled the trigger on the paint, so we’ll wait to debut it later on. We obviously have plenty of work ahead of us, so stay tuned.

BTW, we have no plans at the moment for engine work. Our goal was to get her on the track first with all motor, then go from there.

Modified by audisnapr at 5:21 PM 3-12-2010

2. 01-17-2007 01:37 PM #2
      Nice job Joe, cant wait to run next to it on the track.

Vehicles
      04 S2000 02 buick century
      01-17-2007 01:39 PM #3
      interesting ... cant wait to see finished product

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru Impreza Sport + 1990 VW Corrado track toy
      01-17-2007 01:42 PM #4
      POS!

5. 01-17-2007 01:47 PM #5
      great to see this . makes me all warm inside keep it up
      Up and Live >>> www.Herbys53.com <<< sick of the BS , check it out :thumb:
      860-798-5227 TEXT anytime
      Herbys53 VW/Audi Corral May 29th Lime Rock Park Ct.

53Motorsports-Koni/APR/TT/Bilsteins/Oem+/Service:clap:

6. 01-17-2007 01:54 PM #6
      Looking good Joe! Keep up the good work.

turbo90awd....(aka. Daft)

7. Banned
      01-17-2007 02:12 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by herby53-akaherby53 »
      makes me all warm inside

indeed it does!! good work!! plus, you have to admit, this pic is just cool in a james dean sort of way, er, should i say "jane" dean.

8. 01-17-2007 02:41 PM #8
      I could only wish that when the time comes to pull my dash for my heater core this is what I would find (the lack of wires amazes me!):

Yay, I helped your project!

Vehicles
      '00 Audi A4 Avant 1.8BTQM, '01 Saab 9-5 Aero, '90 VW Corrado, '11 Mazda3 S 5dr, '93 Ford SMB
      01-17-2007 06:33 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by vwpunk »
      I could only wish that when the time comes to pull my dash for my heater core this is what I would find (the lack of wires amazes me!):

Yay, I helped your project!

Mike, yes, you helped us a bunch with the deal on the B&G's. Now if we could just source some good used 12"+ rotors and 4 pot calipers for the front and something decent for the back, we'd be set.

thanks guys - as you can see we have a long ways to go. the only thing that makes me glad the car was in the condition that it is; we probably wouldn't have taking the stripping process this far if the car was in decent shape - so we would have ended up with a lot of wires and unnecessary crap still in the car.

10. 01-17-2007 08:36 PM #10

now THAT'S a garage!

Vehicles
      01-18-2007 09:20 AM #11
      anyone tell us what headers these are?

please excuse that they look like sh*t, it'll all get cleaned up.

Vehicles
      90 Corrado G60 / 81 Rabbit Diesel
      01-18-2007 09:59 AM #12
      i remember this car, i was looking at buying it from om4r......
      found the thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2371367

13. 01-18-2007 10:00 AM #13
      Post that header pic in the 12 valve forum. I think I saw them years ago. Nice work, name and shame the person that sold you a rusty swap, lol

Vehicles
      01-18-2007 10:10 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Retrographic »
      i remember this car, i was looking at buying it from om4r......
      found the thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2371367

and after seeing all my pics, aren't you glad you passed on it?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      01-18-2007 12:10 PM #15
      SO what's the story with the motor on that car? After seeing the jury rigged upper coolant hose, I can only imagine what other short cuts have been taken. Or what maintenance has never been performed.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Subaru Impreza Sport + 1990 VW Corrado track toy
      01-18-2007 12:16 PM #16
      that's why we're tearing it down and getting rid of all of those shortcuts...b/c it was obviously half-assed... dont really have any history on the engine :-/ the peak under the valve cover was surprising when it was super super clean..

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      01-18-2007 12:21 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by marked001 »
      that's why we're tearing it down and getting rid of all of those shortcuts...b/c it was obviously half-assed... dont really have any history on the engine :-/ the peak under the valve cover was surprising when it was super super clean..

Sounds like the oil was changed at the very least! Which is awesome. I wonder what it's going to look like when you take apart the timing chain cover and peak in to look at the guides. Unless you've already done it.

Do you know if the guy is running any aftermarket software, or something like cams/flywheel etc?

Vehicles
      01-18-2007 12:21 PM #18
      ^^oops, marked beat me to it...

honestly, we have no idea at this point. Until we pull the engine out, we just don't know. I can tell you this - we pulled the valve cover just this last weekend and were shocked to find it crystal clean. It was as if it was a new head (you'd never know it from the outside). The chains look brand new, the lobes on the cams still have some factory-looking coating on them that haven't fully worn off. The color of the aluminum and all the parts are still their natural color, not all gold'ish looking like you would expect from years of oil abuse. So we are hopeful.

Modified by audisnapr at 12:33 PM 1-18-2007

19. 01-18-2007 12:26 PM #19
      I'm jealous... I would love to pick up a track project like that....

keep us updated!

2004 1.8T GLI FT F21 w/ 440cc injectors/tune 3"DP to 2.5" w/ Borla Muffler Koni Coils
      1992 Corrado SLC Bilstein/H&R Sport

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      01-18-2007 12:36 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by audisnapr »
      ^^oops, marked beat me to it...

honestly, we have no idea at this point. Until we pull the engine out, we just don't know. I can tell you this - we pulled the valve cover just this last weekend and were shocked to find it crystal clean. It was as if it was a new head (you'd never know it from the outside). The chains look brand new, the lobes on the cams still have some factory-looking coating on them that haven't fully worn off. The color of the aluminum and all the parts are still their natural color, not all gold'ish looking like you would expect from years of oil abuse. So we are hopeful.

So how did the car run? Any clue on the miles on the motor? Sounds like you may have lucked out! Hopefully, you can be so lucky when it comes to electrical gremlins!

21. 01-18-2007 12:36 PM #21
      Damn that was rusty. Nice work saving it though!

Vehicles
      01-18-2007 12:45 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by 6cylVWguy »

So how did the car run? Any clue on the miles on the motor? Sounds like you may have lucked out! Hopefully, you can be so lucky when it comes to electrical gremlins!

marked001 might be better at answering that question - he drove it more than I did (once). it idled flawlessly... sounded great... but had limited power . the first thing we did was replace plugs and wire - no change. we posted a while back in the 12v forum, but it really could be anything... bad gas, vacuum leak, pump, filter, etc. So we were left not knowing what we ended up with.

once we got it up to NY and started pulling things apart, primarily the interior, I noticed the gas pedal had a lot of slop. I investigated the throttle cable and found that it was stretched out a good 3/4" too long. So when you think you have it mashed to the floor, you really are only getting maybe 50% throttle, not the 100% you would expect.

we are hoping that's the only reason for its limited power. No idea on the miles

yeah, we are hoping that by pulling ALL of the wires, we can do it right and bypass most of the gremlins.

Modified by audisnapr at 12:47 PM 1-18-2007

23. 01-18-2007 09:32 PM #23
      Joseph, I sent you a PM, let me know if you're interested

Vehicles
      93 SLC / 01 Jetta GLX / another project
      01-19-2007 12:02 AM #24
      genie headers
      -Andrew-
      Turbine Mechanic

Vehicles
      01-19-2007 07:43 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by audisnapr »
      and after seeing all my pics, aren't you glad you passed on it?

well, if memory serves correctly the owner stoped pm-ing back when i was trying to arrange a way to buy/pick up the car.
      so it wasnt really just passed up per say. but cool to see where it did end up.
      and yes, kinda glad it isnt mine

Vehicles
      01-19-2007 10:25 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by Retrographic »
      ...kinda glad it isnt mine

yeah we are "kinda" glad it isn't your's as well. we are looking forward to taking her to a nice complete, finished, track level. Glad we get to save what was otherwise a lost 'rado.

Vehicles
      01-19-2007 10:29 AM #27
      with my budget i dont think i really would have been able to properly save it, so thank you for that

Vehicles
      01-19-2007 03:05 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by 6cylVWguy »

Sounds like the oil was changed at the very least! Which is awesome. I wonder what it's going to look like when you take apart the timing chain cover and peak in to look at the guides. Unless you've already done it.

Do you know if the guy is running any aftermarket software, or something like cams/flywheel etc?

we actually were pulling the valve cover just to see if we could see any obvious problems with the chains - we weren't sure if we could see guides from in there.

no idea on the software yet - haven't pulled apart the ECU. In fact, we can't even get the damn plug off the ECU. Assumed it had some sort of mechanism like the ABS control unit or the Audi ECU's to release the plug, but just couldn't get it off.

The cams are stock. Factory part number stamped right on it which I verified with ETKA.

Vehicles
      1990 Bronco
      01-20-2007 05:46 PM #29
      could you tell me how you got the dash off?

Vehicles
      01-20-2007 06:04 PM #30
      there are five (5) different screws you have to pull out from what I could tell (at least that's all I found on ours).

- one on each side of the dash right where the dash meets the doors. Open the doors and look at the side of the dash and you'll see them.

- one behind the center console (ashtray area). you have to pull the center console out to see it.

- the last two are nuts that are in the rain tray underneath the windshield way up against the firewall (the dash itself has two studs sticking out of it that pass through the firewall) - the pass side nut is doable, but the driver's side one is mixed up in the windshield-wiper assembly. Fortunately that nut was actually not there holding the dash in on my car. Whoever swapped the dash was too lazy to put that nut in... I guess I don't blame him.

Vehicles
      01-25-2007 09:34 AM #31
      haven't had a chance to photograph all the progress lately - although there really hasn't been a whole lot of progress to photograph. I did pull the entire rear suspension which of course is in pretty rusted shape. Our goal in the next couple of weeks is to sand blast all the rusted parts and respray them a satin black. As soon as I have some pics of that process, I'll post up.

In the meantime here's a little progress I made on the front bumper. It had a huge crack on the driver's side right by the fog/blinker area and several gouges. We considered just replacing it, but we've already replaced the rear bumper and both front fenders. Need to spend our money elsewhere.

the gouge(s)

some of the process...

shaving the sides

patching the gouge

just needs a good sanding, a good primer coat and ultimately a new base coat.

32. 01-25-2007 09:57 AM #32
      nice work

01-27-2007 02:08 AM #33
      Great thread Hope to see it grow because when this car will be putting down numbers it will be nice to see where it came from and how it got there. Thanks for saving one

Vehicles
      '02 AWM 1.8T 5spd Passat
      01-27-2007 02:15 AM #34
      Glad to see you found what you were looking for!!! I'm redstg4, I had a green G60 shell you were intrested in . Well, it's a shel no more. Droped a motor into it, and voila... it's my new daily .

Well, good luck with everything, and hope to hear more!

35. 01-27-2007 02:30 AM #35
      Looks like a great project. Def keep us posted.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast