Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 193 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Cowboys Official Thread

1. 01-22-2007 10:43 PM #1
      Lots of things going on in Dallas.

Coming off a heart-breaking loss in the playoffs the Cowboys have lost;

Bill Parcels, announced he be retiring after 19 seasons in the NFL.
      (34-30 record with Dallas in 4 years w/ 2 post-season appearances)

Early Candidates for his position are:
      ----Wade Phillips, Chargers defensive Coordinator
      &
      ----Jason Garrett, former Cowboys' QB
      http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9947899

David Lee, Offensive Assistant, also left the Dallas Cowboys and is going back to Arkansas
      ----Lee is credited for helping Romo evolve into one of the league's decent quarterbacks
      http://www.dallascowboys.com/n...C9282

Special teams coach Bruce DeHaven is leaving the Cowboys after four seasons to become the Seahawks' special teams coach
      http://www.dallascowboys.com/n...CF15F

Mike Zimmer, Dallas defensive coordinator left to become the Falcon's coordinator
      http://www.dallascowboys.com/n...59616

I don't know what to expect for this coming year; it doesn't look good.

2. 01-23-2007 07:10 AM #2
      Official statement from Jerry Jones, on Parcels' retirement.
      "I'd first like to say that my respect and appreciation for Bill Parcells has only grown since the first day he joined the Dallas Cowboys. Our relationship, both on the professional and personal levels, is something that I am grateful for and something that will continue on into the future.

It is a relationship that was structured around the fundamental element of applying all of our joint resources, energy and efforts into winning and being successful in every aspect of the organization.

We are now prepared to move forward as an organization and pursue our goals of achieving at the highest level with the same dedication and enthusiasm. Fans of the Dallas Cowboys expect nothing less.

From an ownership and general manager's perspective, Bill's coaching the Cowboys represented a willingness to embrace a different philosophy and approach toward winning. This experience will re-enforce that willingness to be flexible.

To our fans, I would like them to know that it is still all about winning. Winning is the name of the game, and nothing has changed.

We have made progress on that front in the recent past, and we will continue to build on that progress with the belief that we have to do better.

Bill will continue to come to work here at Valley Ranch throughout at least the end of this week, and we will continue to meet and address the present status of our team while also discussing the future. Clearly, we wanted Bill to return for next season, but I am completely understanding and respectful of his decision to retire from coaching.

His contributions to the game of football, and to the NFL, are immeasurable, and we will always be grateful for his dedicated effort and commitment to the Dallas Cowboys

This is pretty interesting;
      -After reading this, it seems Parcels will probably have a lot of input as to whom the next Dallas coach will be.

Vehicles
      '07 Jeep
      01-23-2007 09:08 AM #3
      It'll be the OU coach.

Vehicles
      97 Euro Golf Gti
      01-23-2007 09:38 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by mode12 »
      It'll be the OU coach.
      I always that stoops would stay at OU- I thought he had a nice salary there and a program that would never get rid of him

I think Ron Rivera will get hired unless Jerry hires a coach like Wade Phillips or Norv Turner.

Modified by volklover at 8:22 AM 1-23-2007

Vehicles
      '07 Jeep
      01-23-2007 11:47 AM #5
      the local sports radio (1310 the ticket) said there was a "gentlemens handshake" between the two (jones & stoops) for the position...who knows if that's true or not though...

6. 01-23-2007 11:51 AM #6
      Bye Bye Tuna!

7. Member
      01-23-2007 03:34 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by imolameryl »
      Bye Bye Tuna!

He's going to get milked.

8. 01-23-2007 04:19 PM #8
      *courtesy of Sports Illustrated*

7 Truth/Rumors about the Cowboys/Parcels' position

The rumor mill will start churning Tuesday with gossip placing Lovie Smith on Jerry Jones' wish list of head coaches. It's no secret the Lovie Smith grew up in Big Sandy, Texas, worshiping the Cowboys.
      -- Chicago Tribune

Sources said a contract extension between the Cowboys and Bill Parcells was being discussed but ultimately fell through. Parcells wanted an extension. Jerry Jones was willing to talk. But apparently there was an agreement to disagree.
      -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Before Bill Parcells retired, Terrell Owens said he received assurances from owner/general manager Jerry Jones that Owens would be back next season.
      -- Dallas Morning News

Some consider Wade Phillips to be Jerry Jones' top choice. He runs the 3-4 defense that Parcells implemented and has the good-ol'-boy personality that could be a perfect fit with Jones. Norv Turner could become a top candidate. He is considered a guru at shaping young quarterbacks, and Jones believes Tony Romo is the franchise's future at the position.
      -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

The Titans strongly squashed speculation linking coach Jeff Fisher to the newly vacant Dallas job Monday, as chief operating office Steve Underwood said there are no circumstances under which the team would allow the Cowboys to talk to Fisher.
      -- The Tennessean

Bill Parcells e-mailed goodbye to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys and retired again yesterday, meaning there will be a Tuna lurking off the shores of East Rutherford if and when Tom Coughlin fails to survive the 2007 season.
      -- New York Post

The Jets front office would seem to be a logical landing place for Bill Parcells. Parcells is extremely close to Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, whom Parcells hired in 1997 while coach of the Jets. Parcells left the Jets with the blessings of owner Woody Johnson, who to this day admires and respects Parcells and would likely welcome him back.
      -- Newark Star-Ledger

9. 01-23-2007 04:21 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by mode12 »
      the local sports radio (1310 the ticket) said there was a "gentlemens handshake" between the two (jones & stoops) for the position...who knows if that's true or not though...

I know they are good friends, but I see Jones going for Wade Philips b/c his ability to effectively run the 3-4... They have been trying to effectively convert to the 3-4 for 4 years now, and finally in the past year (some parts) have been decent w/ it.

Edit: There is speculation that Norv Turner is one of the candidates for HC

http://www.cowboys-forum.com/f...56771

I'l take Stoops or Philips

Modified by 2002_Turbo at 1:25 PM 1-23-2007

10. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      01-23-2007 04:40 PM #10
      I thought ESPN had also mentioned perhaps Dallas will find a 1 year coach and try to get Bill Cower for 08-09? Or nmaybe that was the Dolphins? At this poitn I am just curious to see what happens to T.O. as much as I hate hearing about him, he has my interest right now as far as news goes hahaha
      Th(e/a)n

11. 01-23-2007 04:55 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee »
      I thought ESPN had also mentioned perhaps Dallas will find a 1 year coach and try to get Bill Cower for 08-09? Or nmaybe that was the Dolphins? At this poitn I am just curious to see what happens to T.O. as much as I hate hearing about him, he has my interest right now as far as news goes hahaha

I didn't hear that; but it could be true... Read up top from the Jerry Jones "official statement..."

"blah blah... its all about winning blah blah"

That could be his way of preparing the fans for a "drastic decision" to sign a coach just for a year...

We'll see. I know Jones wants another title before he retires/sells the team.

I think TO, has learned to shut his mouth. He is also Jones' boy and he won't be relocated to a different team... He has gotten a little more mellow, you must admit. He's in Atlanta right now @ his East Coast house.

12. 01-23-2007 10:05 PM #12
      The search continues
      IRVING, Texas - For the seventh time in franchise history, and the sixth time since owner Jerry Jones bought the team in 1989, the Cowboys are looking for a new head coach.

Just one day removed from Bill Parcells' surprising decision to retire from his head coaching duties, the Cowboys now dive headfirst into their coaching search, which certainly has more questions than answers.

It's not the next question here at Valley Ranch, it's simply the question.

Who is going to be the next coach here in Dallas?

Right now, it's simply anyone's guess.

Instead of attending the Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., this week as planned, Jones is now focused solely on finding Parcells' replacement.

While his coaching search is expected to include many big names, from former NFL head coaches to some of the league's top young assistants to a few big-named college coaches, Jones started off his search with a few in-house candidates.

Jones was scheduled to meet with three Cowboys assistant coaches on Tuesday, including Tony Sparano, Todd Haley and Todd Bowles.

Sparano, the team's offensive line coach and running game coordinator this past season, is the only coach among the three with head coaching experience, albeit a four-year stint at New Haven College (1994-98).

Haley, the Cowboys' passing game coordinator this past season, also oversees the wide receivers, while Bowles has spent the last two years as the team's secondary coach. However, Bowles also is expected to be one of the top candidates for the defensive coordinator position vacated by Mike Zimmer, who took a similar job in Atlanta two weeks ago.

By interviewing Bowles, an African-American, the Cowboys have now met with at least one minority coach, a requirement all NFL teams must follow in interviewing for a head coaching vacancy.

But it's hard to gauge any kind of pattern in Jones' previous coaching searches.

The first two times Jones needed a coach, he went the college route, grabbing Jimmy Johnson in 1989 and then Barry Switzer in 1994.

After that, he gave a pair of assistant coaches their first head-coaching jobs - Chan Gailey in 1998 and then Dave Campo in 2000.

And when neither of those two worked well enough for Jones' standards, the owner finally dished out the money for one of the most prestigious head coaches in league history - Parcells.

So what's next for the Cowboys? Again, it's too early for legitimate front-runners or even a short list. But here are a few names being mentioned so far, in no particular order.

Former Coaches:

Jimmy Johnson - Go with what works, right? At least that's a saying. But that's about all that sounds good regarding this name. Johnson hasn't coached since the 1999 season in Miami - a four-year run that wasn't so successful (26-21 with two playoff appearances). But more importantly, Johnson apparently has no desire to leave his gig at Fox Sports, where he has become one of the more respected NFL analysts around. Johnson had a great run in Dallas in the early 90's and that's probably going to be how it stands.

Steve Mariucci - Has coached Terrell Owens before in San Francisco. But that may not be a good thing. Mariucci runs a West Coast offense and didn't get much of a chance in Detroit. He's been out of coaching for a couple of years and probably would be interested. While he might not be a top choice, he does have same name recognition, and Jones has proven to be a fan of that.

Dan Reeves - Another guy out of coaching with skins on the wall. And another coach who seems interested in the job. Remember, Reeves played eight years and coached for another 10 years with the Cowboys, before he had three head-coaching jobs with Denver, New York Giants and Atlanta.

Bill Cowher - Now this one sounds good, but will certainly cost the Cowboys a few draft picks. Remember, the Steelers wanted him back for his final year of his contract before he retired. So for the Cowboys to get him, it will cost them at least a first-round draft pick. For Jon Gruden to move from Oakland to Tampa Bay, the Bucs eventually gave the Raiders two first-round picks and two-second rounders. Steep price, but the Bucs did win a Super Bowl, coincidentally beating the Raiders.

Assistant Coaches:

Norv Turner - Probably the top candidate at this early stage of the search, only because of his history with the Cowboys. While Jones likes a big name, he also likes people he knows and trusts, and Turner fits the description on all accounts. He's had more success as an offensive coordinator in Dallas, Miami, San Diego and San Francisco than his two head coaching jobs in Washington and Oakland. But if the Cowboys are looking for someone to help Tony Romo in his young career, Turner's track record suggests a good fit. His 58-74-1 record as an NFL head coach is a different story.

Wade Phillips - Here's an interesting candidate who is picking up steam in a hurry. The current defensive coordinator of the Chargers is not only coming off a season in which the San Diego defense ranked ninth in total defense and first in sacks (61), but he has head coaching experience, having coached four different teams. He's most known for coaching the Broncos and Bills, but also had a short stint with the Saints and an interim position in Atlanta. Phillips ran a 3-4 scheme last year in San Diego and was able to help outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, a player often compared to Dallas' DeMarcus Ware because of their 2005 draft position, become one of the NFL's most dominating defensive players.

Ron Rivera - The same reason he's a hot candidate might be a hang-up in this entire coaching search. The Bears' defensive coordinator has been linked to head coaching jobs in the past two years, but currently, his biggest priority is trying to figure out how to stop the Colts' Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLI in two weeks. Unless the Cowboys want to interview Rivera this week, Jones will have to wait until after the Super Bowl before contacting the Bears' defensive coordinator of the last three years.

Norm Chow - One thing seems rather certain: Romo probably would flourish under Chow's leadership. His history of developing quarterbacks is pretty stout, ranging from players such as Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and now Vince Young last year with the Titans.

Mike Martz - Offensively, you can't argue with what Martz has done in his career. He helped mold a St. Louis Rams offense that will go down as one of the top offensive football teams ever in a five-year span. What might be even more impressive, he made the Detroit Lions a formidable offensive team last season. Would his style work with the current personnel here in Dallas? That's a question Jones and the Cowboys must figure out. But if you like offense and a coach that knows how to move the ball, Martz shouldn't be overlooked.

College Coaches:

Bob Stoops - Take him off the list. Whether or not the Cowboys were ever heavily interested in him, the Sooners head coach apparently is not. With the national signing day looming in two weeks, Stoops issued a statement Tuesday afternoon stating he has no interest in leaving Oklahoma for any coaching job.

Charlie Weis - Here's a college coach at one of the most prestigious universities in the nation. The current Notre Dame head coach has also coached in the NFL under both Parcells and New England head coach Bill Belichick. Sounds like a great fit? Maybe, but a $21 million buyout of his current Notre Dame contract is probably even too steep for Jones' pockets.

Kirk Ferentz - The current Iowa head coach was a hot commodity a few years ago, but coming off a 6-7 season with the Hawkeyes, it would be hard to imagine Ferentz arriving here in Dallas. He does have pro experience, having coached under Belichick with Cleveland Browns in the 1980's.

Houston Nutt - Only connected because of Jones' Arkansas ties. And although many in the state of Arkansas wouldn't mind seeing Nutt leave for another job, it's not likely going to be in Dallas.

Pete Carroll - Although he just lost his offensive coordinator, Lane Kiffin, to the Oakland Raiders, Carroll isn't likely going anywhere at USC. Like Stoops, it's likely that Carroll will put most, if not all, of his attention into recruiting in the final weeks before signing day.

Les Miles - Has Cowboys ties, having spent two years under Chan Gailey as tight ends coach. Miles went to Oklahoma State and then LSU, where he is considered one of the best motivational head coaches in the nation.

Vehicles
      2004 A4 1.8TQMS
      01-23-2007 10:55 PM #13
      I want Mike Singletary.

From that list, I'd take Mariucci.

Weis is too fat. We don't need another fat coach. With Fatty Tuna sporting his front-butt on the sidelines for the past four years, we'll need at least a two-year hiatus from coaches over 300 lbs.

Norv Turner is a terrible idea. We don't need Chan Gailey Part II. Some guys are coordinators, some are coaches. Those two boneheads just can't quite cut it at the top level. Then again, Campo (Mr. 5-11) was even more of a joke.

Poops would be interesting, but another OU coach? My Longhorn blood curdles at the thought...

How about Mack Brown?

Vehicles
      '07 Jeep
      01-23-2007 11:42 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Belfi »

How about Mack Brown?

hahahaha.

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      01-24-2007 09:12 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by 2002_Turbo »

I think TO, has learned to shut his mouth.

Costa, c'mon now, that will never happen

-Wes

16. 01-24-2007 04:17 PM #16
      Cowboys met with Jason Garett, former Cowboys QB (1/24/07)
      Is currently the Quarterback coach of the Miami Dolphins

http://www.dallascowboys.com/n...E033A

Vehicles
      2004 A4 1.8TQMS
      01-25-2007 01:01 AM #17
      I say Garrett for HC, Major Applewhite for OC.

Let's do this.

18. 01-25-2007 06:50 AM #18
      I say Garrett for HC, Major Applewhite for OC.

Let's do this.

There's an interesting article on dallascowboys.com that says that Garrett originally was there just to interview for Offensive Coordinator, but from the looks of the meeting (all day) he may have interviewed for Head Coach as well

19. 01-25-2007 03:33 PM #19
      Looks like Jason Garrett is a done deal... We'll know exactly where he will be this afternoon. Doesn't look like they're going to sign him for Head Coach; probably offensive coordinator.

Team spokesman Rich Dalrymple confirmed the Cowboys have asked for and received permission to meet with San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and New Orleans defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs about the possibility of replacing Parcells.

So while Garrett appears close to joining the Cowboys' staff, it looks as if passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach Todd Haley is on his way out Todd Haley will be taking a position in Arizona.

Let's see what we can get...

20. 01-25-2007 03:48 PM #20
      Quote »

I don't know what to expect for this coming year; it doesn't look good.

When has it looked good for you guys?

21. 01-25-2007 04:00 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by -YZ- »

When has it looked good for you guys?

When Jason Garrett was a backup QB All crap aside, he's got 3 rings. He was a backup for Troy Aikman and only started 9/23 games he played in

22. Member
      01-25-2007 04:42 PM #22
      TO shut his mouth?!!?!?!? HAHAHAHAHA!

The likely hood of that happening is about the same odds of Dallas winning the super bowl next year.

0:1

23. 01-25-2007 05:11 PM #23
      I dont know about T.O.... He's the least of our damn problems now, as crazy as that sounds

Our offensive coordinator, whomever that will be next year, and our wide-receiver coach next year; is going go have a fun time with this guy next year

As far as Terrell leaving the team; it isn't going to happen. He's Jerry's boy. He is still one of the premier receivers in the league (even w/ the most dropped passes). I've said this from day1, he's has average receiving skills, but after he has the ball in his hand he is tough to take down.

Modified by 2002_Turbo at 2:24 PM 1-25-2007

24. 01-25-2007 05:16 PM #24
      Why not go after Jimmy Johnson??? curious if Jerry has contacted him yet.
      DUKE
      CAROLINA PANTHERS
      APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY

VSCTUNING Authorized dealer for APR, Hartmann Wheels, and B&B Exhaust

25. 01-25-2007 05:24 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by 2004jettagli »
      Why not go after Jimmy Johnson??? curious if Jerry has contacted him yet.

I don't think he has, nor do I think he will...

Looks like Jerry's going for Wade Philips as HC, Garrett as Offense and not sure about defense.

26. 01-25-2007 10:02 PM #26
      GARRETT officially hired this afternoon by the Cowboys. His role is yet to be determined.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/n...A0793

Wade Philips is set to interview tomorrow (friday)

27. 01-26-2007 07:36 PM #27
      As expected Wade Philips interviewed for the HC position today... Wade Philips has an overall record of 49-38 as a coach in the NFL

28. 01-26-2007 10:09 PM #28
      I find it funny how the Cowboys & their coaching woes, have the forefront of the ESPN talkshows and other NFL network programs. The superbowl being THIS WEEK is kind of on the afterburner...

New Development: Norv Turner is interviewing Monday of next week

Norv was on the quarterback coaching squad during the Aikman/Dallas dynasty in the 90's

Vehicles
      2004 Lancer Ralliart Sedan (not quite stock)
      01-27-2007 03:14 PM #29
      Looks like Ellis might be released. If he is, figure a 90% chance of him signing with the Saints.

As much of a lynchpin as he was for the Dallas D, I don't know how much they'll miss him. Bobby Carpenter really came to life against the Seahawks.

XBL--lJesse Custerl|PSN-lJesseCusterl
      EBC brakes, Injen SRI, ridiculous stereo, etc.

30. 01-28-2007 01:24 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by SchrickVR6 »
      Looks like Ellis might be released. If he is, figure a 90% chance of him signing with the Saints.

As much of a lynchpin as he was for the Dallas D, I don't know how much they'll miss him. Bobby Carpenter really came to life against the Seahawks.

Yeah, well they need to focus on the future. Bobby Carpenter was a great pick for us; and he did look great towards the end of the season...

In other news:
      Saints Coordinator Gibbs Interviews For Head Coach Job

The Cowboys' head coaching search stretched into the weekend with Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs, a former Cowboys assistant, interviewing Saturday.

31. 01-29-2007 09:40 PM #31
      Iron Mike, the 8th to interview

IRVING, Texas - Fresh off interviewing 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner on Sunday, the Cowboys now apparently want to take a better look at a 49ers defensive assistant.

Mike Singletary, a Hall of Fame linebacker who has spent the last four years as an assistant coach for the Ravens and 49ers, will interview for the head coaching job on Tuesday, Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said late Monday afternoon.

Singletary has been the 49ers' assistant head coach the past two seasons under head coach Mike Nolan. His title changed from assistant head coach/linebackers to assistant head coach/defense in 2006.

Singletary also spent two years as the Ravens' inside linebackers coach.

Singletary will become the eighth candidate and fourth defensive coach to interview with the Cowboys since Bill Parcells announced his retirement last Monday.

Last Tuesday, the Cowboys interviewed Todd Bowles, the team's secondary coach last season who many expect to be a leading candidate for defensive coordinator if he is not named head coach. The club also interviewed Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs.

The Cowboys also met with in-house offensive assistants Tony Sparano and Todd Haley last Tuesday, though Haley has since left for Arizona to become the Cardinals' offensive coordinator. The Cowboys then interviewed and hired former backup quarterback Jason Garrett to an unspecified role that will be determined after the head coaching search is completed. Garrett remains a candidate in the search and could become offensive coordinator if he isn't named head coach.

Before the Cowboys announced their interview with Singletary, it was believed that Turner, the 49ers' offensive coordinator last year, was the leading candidate. That still could be the case, but the Singletary announcement came as a surprise considering there was wide speculation that the Cowboys could name Turner the next head coach as early as Monday and possibly Tuesday.

With Singletary now set to interview Tuesday, the Cowboys aren't likely to make a decision until at least Wednesday. Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones is expected to leave for Super Bowl XLI in Miami on Thursday.

Singletary, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998 after a 13-year career with the Chicago Bears, would be an interesting choice for the Cowboys, who switched to a 3-4 defense under Parcells two years ago.

The 49ers ran a 3-4 defensive scheme the past few years, and Singletary has also coached the 3-4 in Baltimore, too.

Singletary, 48, is a Houston native who starred at Baylor University before joining Chicago as a second-round draft pick in 1981. Singletary was a 10-time Pro Bowler with the Bears who finished his illustrious career with 1,488 tackles.

Along with Bowles, Singletary will become the second African-American to interview with the Cowboys for the head coaching job, further complying with the "Rooney Rule," which states all teams must interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching vacancies.

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      01-29-2007 10:43 PM #32
      pray Norv Turner doesn't get the job, us Skins fans can tell you why
      -Wes

Vehicles
      2004 A4 1.8TQMS
      01-30-2007 02:58 AM #33
      Singletary / Garrett would be an ace combo.

We can pick up Applewhite for QB coach next year.

No kidding we don't want Norv "The Returner" Turner back, although his looks do make me doubt myself sometimes.

Norv, it's called dermabrasion, look into it! Dude's face needs more bondo than my pitted Wolfie wheels.

34. 01-30-2007 02:36 PM #34
      Singletary / Garrett would be an ace combo.

Singletary Arrives for Interview

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys are now in the process of interviewing their eighth candidate for the head coaching job, as Mike Singletary has arrived at Valley Ranch here Tuesday morning.

Singletary, 48, has only been coaching for four seasons, including the last two in San Francisco where he served as assistant head coach/defense this past season. Singletary was also the 49ers' assistant head coach/linebackers in 2005 after spending the previous two years as Ravens' inside linebackers coach.

This is the third time Singletary has interviewed for a head coaching job, after meeting with the Lions last season and then the Falcons this year.

Singletary becomes the fourth candidate to interview since Wade Phillips met with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones last Friday. The Cowboys also interviewed Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs on Saturday, followed by 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who interviewed Sunday and still appears to be the front-runner for the job, despite Singletary's interview today.

Last week, the Cowboys interviewed assistants Todd Bowles, Tony Sparano and Todd Haley, who left the staff for Arizona to become the Cardinals' offensive coordinator.

The Cowboys also lost two more assistants Monday when quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer left to take the same position with the Giants. Although he was under contract, the Cowboys gave him permission to rejoin Tom Coughlin, whom he worked with in Jacksonville. And safeties coach Mike MacIntyre, whose contract expired after the season, left to join the Jets' staff as secondary coach.

With Singletary interviewing on Tuesday, the Cowboys aren't likely to make a decision until at least Wednesday. Jones is expected to leave for Super Bowl XLI in Miami on Thursday.

Singletary, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998 after a 13-year career with the Chicago Bears, would be an interesting choice for the Cowboys, who switched to a 3-4 defense under Parcells two years ago.

The 49ers ran a 3-4 defensive scheme the past few years, and Singletary has also coached the 3-4 in Baltimore, too.

Singletary, 48, is a Houston native who starred at Baylor University before joining Chicago as a second-round draft pick in 1981. Singletary was a 10-time Pro Bowler with the Bears and finished his illustrious career with 1,488 tackles.

Along with Bowles, Singletary becomes the second African-American to interview with the Cowboys for the head coaching job, further complying with the "Rooney Rule," which states all teams must interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching vacancies.

35. 01-31-2007 06:49 PM #35
      Jones won't name coach until after superbowl

IRVING, Texas - Apparently, the Cowboys are not in a huge hurry to name a head coach.

Despite interviewing eight candidates in 10 days, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Wednesday at Valley Ranch that a final decision on Bill Parcells' replacement will not be made this week. He also said the Cowboys might not be finished with the interview process.

"First of all we won't be announcing who's going to be the next head coach until after the Super Bowl," said Jones, who has been scheduled to leave Thursday for Super Bowl XLI in Miami. "There is a possibility that there will be more candidates that I interview and that we think about. Bill's leaving was a surprise, but as it should be I have things in my desk drawer and things in my back pocket that should prepare you if somebody gets hit by a car, so to speak. Having said that, while we're there I want those of you who can; I want you to go to the Super Bowl without hanging around here for any announcements that may be made."

The Cowboys interviewed 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary on Tuesday after a weekend of interviews with Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs and 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

The Cowboys had an extensive two-day interview with Jason Garrett last week before signing the former quarterback to the coaching staff in an undetermined role. Garrett is still believed to be a candidate for the head coaching vacancy, but if the Cowboys hire another coach, it's likely he will become the offensive coordinator.

Before interviewing Garrett, the Cowboys met with in-house assistants Todd Bowles, Todd Haley and Tony Sparano. Haley has since accepted the offensive coordinator position in Arizona. Jones said he hasn't ruled out any of the remaining candidates.

"I'm very pleased with what we've done, the work we're doing," Jones said. "The time that I'm spending with these candidates are as it should be. We've got a good football team, and I've got to get this right. And we've got to make a good decision when we select the next coach. We're going to have the opportunity and a plan in place that will allow us to have that."

If Jones decides to interview more candidates after the Super Bowl, he might consider a pair of assistants from Sunday's match-up between the Colts and Bears. Chicago defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Indianapolis assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell are highly regarded assistants.

Page 1 of 193 123451151101 ... LastLast