Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 193 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Cowboys Official Thread

1. 02-02-2007 04:39 PM #36
      Chicago's Ron Rivera...

MIAMI - This much is known about Ron Rivera, quite possibly the newest candidate to be swept into the Dallas Cowboys' ever-widening search for a head coach who could conceivably down the road turn into something like assistant head coach in charge of defense:

He is the Chicago Bears' defensive coordinator. Has been now for the past three seasons, giving him 10 years of NFL coaching experience.

He played nine NFL seasons, all with the Bears, including earning a Super Bowl ring on The Monsters' 1985 team.

His name has been on the list of top minority head coaching candidates forwarded to the NFL by the Fritz Pollard Alliance, already having been a top contender with Pittsburgh, Miami, Atlanta and was thought to be the leading candidate in Arizona before Ken Whisenhunt was hired.

And he's been here all week preparing the league's fifth-ranked defense to take on the league's third-ranked offense when the Bears meet the Colts Sunday in Super Bowl XLI.

But here's a couple of things you might not know about the 45-year-old Rivera, who has reportedly become someone of interest to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who was to arrive here on Thursday, though is not allowed to officially interview the Chicago assistant - if he so desires - until after Sunday's Super Bowl. How about breakfast Monday morning at Joe's Stone Crab?

Rivera confirmed here on Thursday his contract indeed is expiring, meaning he also could legitimately be eligible to become a Cowboys' assistant coach if Jones decides to pass on him as a head coach and hire Norv Turner as he seemed headed before calling at least a five-day timeout on announcing the team's next head coach.

Rivera also insists neither he nor his agent have been contacted by the Cowboys, as are the rules for coaches still involved in the playoffs, and that he only knew of the team's possible interest when his wife called Wednesday after practice to alert him to the reports circulating on various Internet sites. But having said that, he quickly said he would welcome that call from Jones, and did not dismiss the possibility of entertaining overtures of making a lateral move to the Cowboys as at least defensive coordinator.

Rivera is held in high esteem by the Bears' players. Bears starting weak-side linebacker Lance Briggs says when asked about the possibility of his defensive coordinator becoming a head coach, "When he becomes a head coach, it will be the first deserving head coaching job I've heard about in a while."

He's got the necessary football cred with his players. "It's the respect factor he gets," says defensive end Alex Brown, a five-year veteran who arrived in Chicago before Rivera returned from a five-year coaching stay in Philadelphia. "He knows what he's talking about. He knows how to call it. He actually played in a Super Bowl, so he gets a little benefit of the doubt (from the players)."

And Rivera evidently isn't uncomfortable taking charge, even if that means getting a tad emotional, something he might have learned from his former Bears teammate Steve McMichael, who as Rivera's story goes, gets up in front of the group the night before the Bears wiped out New England in Super Bowl XX and, for effect, throws a chair so hard it sticks right in the chalkboard.

Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye tells the story about halftime in the locker room in an early-season game (he thinks Minnesota) when the defense was struggling. He said two of the team's defensive players were in the training room "complaining about something." Evidently Rivera overhears them.

"He runs in there, jumps on one of the training tables, and rips into 'em," Ogunleye says. "He says, 'Maybe I didn't put you in the right play, got you in a bad situation, but that doesn't stop you from giving effort. If I call a play, you run it.'

"He will treat you like a man, but when you don't do the right thing, he'll tell you about it. He won't let anything slide."

If indeed Jones interviews Rivera next week, he would become the ninth candidate the Cowboys owner has spoken with about the team's head coaching job that now has been vacant for 11 days. There also is a chance he might speak with Indianapolis quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell, another prominent name on the FPA list.

Jones also didn't rule out the possibility of bumping into the previously interviewed Turner or Mike Singletary the remainder of this week at the Super Bowl.

"Again it's possible that I will be interviewing more candidates and I do know first hand that at least one of the candidates will be down at the Super Bowl, or two really," Jones said on Wednesday back at The Ranch of guys he's already spoken with about the job. "And so we'll be probably bumping into them and it'd be impossible not to be talking about some of the things that we discussed in the interview."

There have been reports Turner, if hired, would like for Jones to make a run at Rivera for the team's now vacant defensive coordinator's job. That might seem far-fetched to some since Rivera would be making a lateral move after putting together a Super Bowl-quality defense in Chicago.

But again, Rivera's contract is expiring after the Super Bowl, and at $500,000, is not exactly one of the better paid coordinator's in the league. Even Rivera recognizes the Bears have made no bones about first addressing head coach Lovie Smith, who made $1.3 million this year and has only one year left on his contract.

Rivera also must be aware Jones had paid previous defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer $1 million a year after he turned down the head coaching job at Nebraska and had upped assistant head coach Sean Payton to $1 million a year after he turned down the head coaching job with the Raiders. An offer to double Rivera's contract likely would at least get his attention, though the Bears would still own his rights for two weeks after the final game.

"That's what I'll have to address if that comes to fruition," Rivera said, and then added when asked if an offered pay raise would be enough to leave the Bears, "I don't know, maybe it would give me leverage. When our contracts expire, then we hope to get a very fair salary."

Rivera says he has no ties to the Cowboys; that he obviously knows who Jones is, but doesn't exactly know him personally. But he certainly might have a tie to the Cowboys if they should hire Turner as the head coach.

Norv Turner's brother Ron is Chicago's offensive coordinator, and as expected, he is a big fan of the Cowboys hiring Norv, saying of the possibility, "Obviously, it would be very important (to him) if it's the right fit." And don't get any ideas about Ron, since he has one year remaining on his contract in Chicago.

Rivera also might want to gain some coaching autonomy by coordinating a defense totally on his own, since there might be a perception out there he's only doing the noted-defensive coach Smith's leg work in Chicago. That might help his case to eventually snap up a head coaching job.

Smith, though, while admitting he spends more time concentrating on the defense, his area of expertise and why he was even noticed for the Bears' head coaching job in 2004, pointed out Rivera makes the defensive calls in games.

"I don't make calls," Smith said. "Ron's had an opportunity to interview for a few head coaching jobs and I still haven't been able to figure out why he hasn't gotten a chance."

So with Jones calling a hiring/announcing truce through Sunday's Super Bowl, the wheels continue to turn, fueling even further speculation into just what he's thinking, though it seems probable he will at least talk to Rivera, possibly as early as Monday right here.

"I don't know, I don't know what to tell you guys," Rivera said again Thursday morning. "You wonder if it's true, but you want to keep your focus on Indianapolis."

And asked again about entertaining the possibility of joining a potential Turner staff as defensive coordinator, he said, again seemingly at a loss for facts, "Maybe, we'll see."

Indeed we will.

Ha, imagine; Singletary as the HC, Rivera as the defensive coach and Garett as the offensive coordinator...

2. 02-06-2007 06:54 AM #37
      Search Opens Up
      Rivera, Caldwell Expected To Interview This Week

IRVING, Texas - Now that the Super Bowl and all of the weekend's festivities are history, the Cowboys can get back to the business of finding their next head coach.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones, who flew back to Dallas late Sunday after Super Bowl XLI, is expected to make a headfirst dive back into the coaching search this week.

While there have been reports the Cowboys could be close to making an announcement early this week, it might be closer to the end of the week before a final decision is made.

The Cowboys have already interviewed eight candidates and could meet with a pair of assistant coaches from the Super Bowl that were off-limits from contact before the game.

The Cowboys are expected to interview Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Colts assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell this week, possibly as early as Tuesday and Wednesday.

Both coaches reportedly flew back to their respective cities Monday following the Colts' 29-17 win over Chicago Sunday night in Miami.

Rivera, a former NFL linebacker with the Bears for nine seasons (1984-92), has run Chicago's defense for the last three years.

"I think it's my time," Rivera told reporters following Sunday's loss to the Colts. "I will see how it unfolds. I have done what I needed to do. It's up to the owners and what they want. We will see what happens."

Since his contract will officially expire on Feb. 20, Rivera could ultimately end up in Dallas as the defensive coordinator, if he doesn't land the head coaching job. However, the Cowboys can meet with Rivera only about the head coaching position until Feb. 20. That is unless the Bears decide to grant the Cowboys permission to speak with Rivera about either position.

Caldwell has been Peyton Manning's quarterbacks coach the last five years in Indianapolis, after spending one year in Tampa Bay as the quarterback coach. Caldwell's only experience as a head coach came at Wake Forest, where he spent seven years with the Demon Deacons.

The Cowboys have already interviewed eight candidates to replace Bill Parcells, who announced his retirement on Jan. 22. Since then, Jones has met with four offensive-minded coaches and four with defensive backgrounds.

Of the eight, it appears only a handful, if that many, remain legitimate contenders.

Norv Turner, the current 49ers offensive coordinator who has nine years of NFL head coaching experience at Washington and Oakland, along with four other stints as offensive coordinator, including three years in Dallas from 1991-93, still seems to be one of the favorites.

Turner interviewed for the job on Jan. 28, ending a busy weekend that included interviews with Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs.

Earlier that week, the Cowboys interviewed former quarterback Jason Garrett, who had spent the last two years as the Dolphins' quarterbacks coach. With Miami only giving the Cowboys and Garrett a short time to make a decision, the Cowboys hired him to the coaching staff in an undetermined role. While the Cowboys insist Garrett remains a candidate for the head coaching job, it's likely he will become the offensive coordinator if the Cowboys go in another direction.

Before bringing in Garrett, the Cowboys met with assistants Todd Bowles, Tony Sparano and Todd Haley, who has since left the staff to become offensive coordinator in Arizona.

Bowles and Sparano are two of only five assistants remaining from last year's staff, along with defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers and linebackers coaches Paul Pasqualoni and Vincent Brown.

Speaking of linebackers, the last player to interview with the Cowboys before Jones took a break from the search last Thursday was arguably one of the best linebackers in NFL history. The Cowboys spent all day last Tuesday with Mike Singletary, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame who has spent the last two years as the 49ers' assistant head coach. Singletary only has four years of coaching experience, spending two years in Baltimore as the inside linebackers coach.

However, Singletary always was one of the NFL's most intense players and it appears he has brought that intensity to the sidelines as well. Before getting back into coaching, Singletary spent 10 years as a motivational speaker and even had similar responsibilities with the 49ers over the last two years.

After his interview in Dallas, Singletary said he only interviewed for the head coaching position and said he didn't anticipate coming to the Cowboys in any other role. While his official his title is assistant head coach/defense, he could possibly land the defensive coordinator position in Dallas, assuming San Francisco grants permission for him to speak with the Cowboys in a non-head coaching role.

The 49ers had a vacancy at defensive coordinator and did not interview Singletary for the position before finally settling on Greg Manusky. However, it appears Singletary remains one of the top candidates for the head coaching job in Dallas.

Last Wednesday, Jones said he would continue his coaching search after the Super Bowl and make the best decision rather than rush just to have a coach in place.

"I feel very good. We've spent a lot of time and I know our fans expect me to and you expect me to, and we've spent a lot of time in each interview," Jones said last week. "And I've been very thorough and they've been very thorough with me. I like good feedback from when I'm talking to an individual about where he's been and where he's going. So all of that I'm very pleased with. I feel very comfortable with where we are. But if I can I don't want to leave a stone unturned here."

Even if it means turning a few more of those stones this week.

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      02-06-2007 09:28 AM #38
      Jerry Jones loves being in the spotlight doesn't he?
      I wonder how much longer and how many more people, "let's add another name to interview".
      He's dragging this out like a soap opera.
      Just pick one already and go back to the corporate office.
      -Wes

4. 02-06-2007 01:27 PM #39
      Quote, originally posted by spkn^GRMN »
      Jerry Jones loves being in the spotlight doesn't he?
      I wonder how much longer and how many more people, "let's add another name to interview".
      He's dragging this out like a soap opera.
      Just pick one already and go back to the corporate office.

I hope this is it:

Singletary as the HC
      Rivera as the defensive coach
      Garett as the offensive coordinator...

Vehicles
      2004 A4 1.8TQMS
      02-06-2007 02:47 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by 2002_Turbo »

I hope this is it:

Singletary as the HC
      Rivera as the defensive coach
      Garett as the offensive coordinator...

Don't want none of that Norv.

6. 02-06-2007 04:09 PM #41
      if you wanna win this year then forget about rivera, hes a 4-3 guy and you guys are 3-4 and it will be a pain in the ass to switch back and it will be a trial and error season, but ya go for it

7. 02-06-2007 04:57 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by Vwless »
      if you wanna win this year then forget about rivera, hes a 4-3 guy and you guys are 3-4 and it will be a pain in the ass to switch back and it will be a trial and error season, but ya go for it

Some consider Wade Phillips to be Jerry Jones' top choice. He runs the 3-4 defense that Parcells implemented and has the good-ol'-boy personality that could be a perfect fit with Jones...

Either him or Rivera is fine with me.

8. 02-08-2007 06:15 AM #43

Some consider Wade Phillips to be Jerry Jones' top choice. He runs the 3-4 defense that Parcells implemented and has the good-ol'-boy personality that could be a perfect fit with Jones...

Either him or Rivera is fine with me.

http://forums.thecarlounge.net...67636

I gets banned if I do, gets banned if I don't
      So sometimes I will and sometimes I won't

9. 02-08-2007 07:10 AM #44
      Quote, originally posted by mawingo »

http://forums.thecarlounge.net...67636

Yeah... We'll see if it's true

10. 02-08-2007 07:18 AM #45
      Yup, look like it's official:

Espn is reporting on the story right now.

11. 02-08-2007 10:04 AM #46
      Wade is the Headcoach...
      http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/...58164

Norv as the offensive coordinator???

Modified by 2002_Turbo at 7:05 AM 2-8-2007

12. Member
      02-08-2007 02:25 PM #47
      His winning percentage as a head coach is 56.25

Sounds like a loser to me! Can't wait to see how he does with T.O. (if he doesn't OD first) and the AMAZING ROMO!

13. 02-08-2007 02:38 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by IDrankBeer »
      His winning percentage as a head coach is 56.25

Sounds like a loser to me! Can't wait to see how he does with T.O. (if he doesn't OD first) and the AMAZING ROMO!

His main two teams he's

29-19 w/ the Bills
      &
      19-19 w/ the Broncos

I have a feeling they may drop Terrell before the beginning of the season, or Wade may leave it up to the offensive coordinator (whomever that may be) to make the call on whether or not to keep Terrell. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the move.

Anyone>Norv

14. 02-08-2007 05:26 PM #49
      5:00 press conference has made it official.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6
      02-09-2007 10:14 AM #50
      Well not sure about his track record but he will have a lot to prove.

16. 02-09-2007 12:30 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by quasil »
      Well not sure about his track record but he will have a lot to prove.

Yup and from what I understand, he'll have a lot of help too...

Head Coach: Wade Philips
      Offensive Coordinator yet to be decided: many say, Norv Turner...
      Quarterback/Wide Receiver Coach: Garrett
      Defensive Coordinator yet to be decided: some are saying singletary...
      Special Teams Coach yet to be decided.
      this is going to be an good coaching staff...

Vehicles
      2004 Lancer Ralliart Sedan (not quite stock)
      02-09-2007 01:13 PM #52
      Bonus: Wade's daughter isn't exactly hard on the eyes:

XBL--lJesse Custerl|PSN-lJesseCusterl
      EBC brakes, Injen SRI, ridiculous stereo, etc.

18. 02-09-2007 01:35 PM #53
      That's what I'm talking about Schrick...

anyway; look at his experience

2004-06 - Defensive Coordinator, San Diego Chargers
      2003 - Head Coach (Interim), Atlanta Falcons
      2002-03 - Defensive Coordinator, Atlanta Falcons
      1998-2000 - VP of Football Operations and Head Coach, Buffalo Bills
      1995-97 - Defensive Coordinator, Buffalo Bills
      1993-94 - Head Coach, Denver Broncos
      1989-1992 - Defensive Coordinator, Denver Broncos
      1986-88 - Defensive Coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles
      1981-85 - Defensive Coordinator, New Orleans Saints
      1977-1980 - Defensive Line, Houston Oilers
      1976 - Linebackers, Houston Oilers
      1975 - Defensive Line, University of Kansas
      1973-74 - Linebackers, Oklahoma State University
      1970-72 - Defensive Coordinator, Orange High School
      1969 - Graduate Assistant, University of Houston

19. 02-09-2007 06:51 PM #54

Yup and from what I understand, he'll have a lot of help too...

Head Coach: Wade Philips
      Offensive Coordinator yet to be decided: many say, Norv Turner...
      Quarterback/Wide Receiver Coach: Garrett
      Defensive Coordinator yet to be decided: some are saying singletary...
      Special Teams Coach yet to be decided.
      this is going to be an good coaching staff...

Norv and Mike are both staying with San Francisco - no HC job they are not leaving and i doubt SF would allow the Cowboys to talk to them about assistant jobs.

Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

20. 02-10-2007 12:48 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by Juiced6 »

Norv and Mike are both staying with San Francisco - no HC job they are not leaving and i doubt SF would allow the Cowboys to talk to them about assistant jobs.

I guess you're right... We'll see what's in store for them nonetheless.

21. 02-10-2007 08:26 PM #56
      Philips the right fit for Dallas...

Feb. 9, 2007) -- Dallas Cowboys fans and the world over were breathlessly anticipating the hiring of a "big name" as their new head coach. They might not have been excited about hearing that the new coach is "regular guy" Wade Phillips -- but they can rest assured that Jerry Jones has made a very good decision.

For anyone who thinks it wasn't a "sexy" pick, just go back to when the Packers hired a guy named Vince Lombardi in 1959. A lot of people in Green Bay were disappointed with that hire, and it turned out pretty good.

NFL Network video

Scott Hanson reports on the recent hiring of Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips.

Video: 56k | 300k

Phillips is the third native Texan to be named head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He grew up in Texas, played high school and college football in Texas and started his coaching career at a high school in Orange, Texas, which happens to be the state's eastern-most city.

In describing Wade Phillips, I would say he is a mellow, laid-back individual who is not a yeller or screamer. He reminds me of Tom Landry in this regard: He will make a point and say, "Do it that way and you will be successful. But if you don't, you're not going to be successful."

As an example, I remember when he was coaching with his dad, the legendary Bum Phillips, at Oklahoma State. His dad asked him why some breakdowns were happening on defense and Wade's answer was simple: The players didn't follow the plan.

Bum Phillips is still a cult hero in Texas. He coached high school and college there, and then had success in the NFL --- particularly with the Houston Oilers. At most of Bum's coaching stops, Wade has been by his side. At Oklahoma State, as a matter of fact, Bum was the defensive coordinator and Wade was the defensive line coach. And then in the NFL, Wade was on his dad's staff with both the Oilers and the New Orleans Saints.

Dallas owner Jerry Jones is confident Texas native Wade Phillips will bring success to the franchise.
      And speaking of keeping it in the family, there's a good probability that Wes Phillips -- Wade's son -- will join the staff in Dallas. Wes Phillips played quarterback at UTEP and has been coaching in the college ranks in Texas.

To this day, I am still not certain why Wade Phillips was not retained in Buffalo. I guess it came down to the Music City Miracle, when the Bills went 11-5 and lost in the playoffs on the Titans' kickoff return touchdown with seconds left in the game. Phillips was replaced the following year.

Wade Phillips is a person with no airs about him. He and his dad both are walking advertisements for cowboy boots -- whether in Hawaii for league meetings or on the sidelines. Wade has gotten away from wearing boots on sidelines, like his dad used to do, but that's about the only place he's not wearing them.

With Wade Phillips at the helm, I think you'll see a family atmosphere with a lighter feel around the Cowboys, and I think that will lead to success.

While pasting this, Romo threw a pic in the pro-bowl

22. 02-10-2007 10:19 PM #57
      how did romo do at the pro bowl?

23. 02-10-2007 10:22 PM #58
      how did romo do at the pro bowl?

Rough start, 1/2 w/ an interception. Then he settled down and did great! I was glad to see him passing well, and making some plays.

"Went from being boo'ed to possibly the NFC player of the game"

T. Romo 11/19 156yards 1TD 1INT

More yards than any other NFC QB

I found it funny, how just about every other player on the NFC team was a Dallas Cowboy With a few of the bears backing out due to injuries, Dallas got to send an additional 3

Modified by 2002_Turbo at 7:24 PM 2-10-2007

24. 02-10-2007 10:25 PM #59
      he got booed? hahaha

25. 02-10-2007 10:34 PM #60
      he got booed? hahaha

No, he wasn't actually boo'ed... It was how one of the commentators put it... I assumed you were watching it He didn't look good though in the first drive, then he settled down.

26. 02-11-2007 05:11 PM #61
      na i was working, but i saw the highlight were taylor laid out the punter, i laughed my ass off. i cant believe he got back up

27. 02-11-2007 06:20 PM #62
      na i was working, but i saw the highlight were taylor laid out the punter, i laughed my ass off. i cant believe he got back up

Yeah, Taylor laid him out... He also got burned deep by the Bengal wide receiver.

28. 02-11-2007 06:43 PM #63

Yeah, Taylor laid him out... He also got burned deep by the Bengal wide receiver.

oh well

29. 02-13-2007 07:11 AM #64
      Coaching changes this week, then player changes thereafter..

Seems like Wade pretty much silenced all the TO bs...

He's staying.

30. 02-14-2007 08:15 PM #65
      TWO MORE COACHES

ING, Texas - Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said putting together his coaching staff would be his top priority, and so far, he's not wasting any time.

After making two hires on Tuesday, Phillips added two more assistants on Wednesday: Veteran coach Ray Sherman and John Garrett, the brother of Jason Garrett.

Sherman, who spent the last two years as the Tennessee Titans' wide receivers coach, will coach the receivers in Dallas.

Garrett, the Cowboys' new tight ends coach, coached at the University of Virginia the last two years but has been on NFL staffs in Cincinnati and Arizona.

The Cowboys also interviewed Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst.

The Cowboys become the ninth pro team for Sherman, who has 19 years of NFL coaching experience. Sherman has coached wide receivers, running backs and has also served as an offensive coordinator during his coaching career.

Sherman has coached in Green Bay, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, New York Jets, San Francisco, Atlanta and Houston since 1988. His experience could be helpful for Jason Garrett, who is expected to have a major role in the offense.

While Garrett's official title has not been named, it's expected he will serve in an offensive coordinator's capacity, likely even calling plays. But with Sherman, Garrett will have another experienced coach on board along with Tony Sparano.

Sherman's hiring comes a day after the Cowboys added Dat Nguyen to the staff as an assistant linebackers and defensive quality control coach. The club also hired Wade Phillips' son, Wesley, as an offensive quality control coach.

Jerry's Big Night

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will be one of eight new inductees Thursday night for the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.

Jones, along with former Cowboys running back Don Perkins, will be honored at a special banquet in Waco, Texas.

And even for someone who grew up and played college football in Arkansas, Jones said being honored as a Texas legend is quite an achievement.

"For me, it's humbling because when I look at who all is in the Hall of Fame, it reminds me of what a great sports area that we're in, in Texas," said Jones, who played three seasons for the University of Arkansas in the now defunct Southwest Conference. "I get to thinking about the times I got to play where I went to schools; all of our teams were Texas teams where we played in the Southwest Conference. A huge percent of my teammates were from Texas, played high school football in Texas."

Of course, Jones knows his achievements with the Dallas Cowboys - he's owned the team since 1989 and led the franchise to three Super Bowl titles in a four-year span from 1992-95 - is the major reason he will be inducted Thursday night.

"I'm going in because of my experience with the Cowboys - I know that," Jones said. "Having said that, this thing is, for me, oriented about Texas and the Cowboys, as opposed to the NFL. I think the Cowboys are and all of football is unique simply because of what Texas is."

Along with Jones and Perkins, the other six inductees are Warren Moon, Billy Sims, DeLoss Dodds, Cynthia Cooper, Roosevelt Leaks and Rafer Johnson.

Centering Talks

The Cowboys have been in ongoing discussions with center Andre Gurode and his agent in regard to a new contract.

Gurode, an unrestricted free agent for the second consecutive year, is looking for much more than the one-year deal he signed last March. Gurode started all 16 games at center this past season and was added to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement. Gurode was one of seven Cowboys who played in last Saturday's game in Hawaii.

The Cowboys and Gurode's camp had been talking extensively even before Bill Parcells' announced his retirement and the coaching search began.

With Wade Phillips now in the fold, look for the Cowboys and Gurode to work out a new deal, likely before March 2, the first day of the free-agent signing period.

The Cowboys apparently are not far along in contract talks with right tackle Marc Colombo or even quarterback Tony Romo, who has one year remaining on the extension he signed last August.

Europe Bound

The Cowboys are sending three players to NFL Europe, including tight end Tony Curtis, who has spent the majority of the last two seasons on the practice squad.

Curtis, an undrafted tight end from Portland State, was on the active roster for seven weeks last year, playing in three games, before finishing the season on the practice squad.

The Cowboys are also allocating defensive tackle Remi Ayodele and linebacker John Saldi, who went to training camp with the team last summer before getting cut in August.

Saldi re-signed after the season, as did Ayodele, the younger brother of Cowboys linebacker Akin Ayodele. Remi Ayodele spent three weeks in Dallas on the practice squad in November, and has been with the Ravens and Patriots as well.

Modified by 2002_Turbo at 5:17 PM 2-14-2007

31. 02-15-2007 04:13 PM #66
      jerry jones is inducted in the sports hall of fame of texas

32. 02-18-2007 03:46 PM #67
      i like the hire of wade. our defense fell apart last year and i think wade can fix that. hopefully greg ellis gets healthy soon

33. 02-21-2007 02:22 PM #68
      Garrett Named Coordinator; Sparano Gets Extension
      As expected, Jason Garrett has been named offensive coordinator, while Tony Sparano will be the assistant head coach and got a two-year contract extension.

34. 02-22-2007 07:47 AM #69
      HOME GAMES
      Washington
      NY Giants
      Philadelphia
      NY Jets
      New England
      Green Bay
      Minnesota
      St. Louis

AWAY GAMES
      Washington
      NY Giants
      Philadelphia
      Chicago
      Detroit
      Carolina
      Buffalo
      Miami

Not too rough... New England @ home. Just like we had the Colts @ home

35. 02-22-2007 12:43 PM #70
      looking good!

Good Read
      Cowboys Hire Bruce Read As New Special Teams Coach

Rob Phillips - Email
      DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
      February 22, 2007 11:23 AM Change Font Size A A A A

Read coached special teams on two NFL staffs before coming to Dallas.
      IRVING, Texas - Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips is scheduled to leave for the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis on Thursday, but he's getting closer to completing his staff.

Phillips on Thursday hired former Oregon State assistant head coach Bruce Read as the Cowboys' new special teams coach. Read replaces Bruce DeHaven, who was hired to Mike Holmgren's staff in Seattle last month after his contract expired in Dallas.

Read, 44, served as Oregon State's special teams coach from 1997-98 and again from 2004-06. He also has worked on two NFL staffs as special teams coach, first for the Chargers (1999-01) and then the Giants (2002-03) while Cowboys newly-named offensive coordinator Jason Garrett was a backup quarterback in New York.

Phillips has now hired six coaches since taking over for Bill Parcells on Feb. 6: Read (special teams), Wes Phillips (offensive assistant/quality control), Dat Nguyen (assistant linebackers/quality control), Ray Sherman (wide receivers), John Garrett (tight ends) and Skip Peete (running backs). The Cowboys hired Garrett to a previously undetermined role during their head coaching search.

Phillips officially named Garrett offensive coordinator and Tony Sparano assistant head coach on Tuesday. Sparano received a contract extension through 2009 and will continue to oversee the Cowboys' offensive line.

The Cowboys interviewed Bears quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson for the same position on Wednesday. Wilson coached the Cowboys' quarterbacks from 2000-02 and has spent the last three years in Chicago working with the likes of Rex Grossman, Kyle Orton and even Chad Hutchinson again. He also was a backup quarterback in Dallas from 1995-97, winning a Super Bowl ring with Garrett on the Cowboys' 1995 team.

Phillips also has yet to name a defensive coordinator. Todd Bowles, who coached the Cowboys' secondary last season, has been considered a candidate to replace Mike Zimmer. But Phillips has made it clear that he will run the defense.

Read will direct a Cowboys special teams unit that finished second in kickoff coverage, allowing 19.6 yards per return. The Cowboys ranked 24th in punt coverage (10.8) but also had the league's top punter. Mat McBriar earned his first Pro Bowl selection with a league-leading 48.2-yard gross average, becoming the first NFL punter since 1963 to finish with an average of more than 48.0.

The Cowboys also produced a pair of top kickoff returners. Rookie Miles Austin replaced Tyson Thompson (fractured fibula) at mid-season and finished tied with Thompson for second in the NFC with a 26.0-yard return average behind Chicago's special teams dynamo Devin Hester.

Page 2 of 193 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast