Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Cowboys Official Thread

1. 02-25-2007 10:40 AM #71
      im liking the coach... he said last night that he and romo have become best friends

2. 02-25-2007 11:28 AM #72
      » Topic Participation

71 posts exist in this topic.

Contributors are ranked most active first. » Close Window

User Posts
      2002_Turbo 42
      Vwless 5

P H I L L I E S | F L Y E R S | E A G L E S | S I X E R S | P E N N- S T A T E | 'N O V A

3. 02-25-2007 11:45 AM #73
      Haha, I love it I'm really excited. I find myself thinking football all the time.

4. 02-28-2007 07:07 PM #74
      Wade was on ESPN this morning. Says he loves Dallas so far and is continuing to work on the coaching staff...

No word yet on TO's hand surgery....

5. 03-04-2007 02:10 PM #75
      Brian Stewart is the new Cowboys defensive coordinator

http://www.dallascowboys.com/n...75E25

This is going to be a good year

6. 03-08-2007 01:51 PM #76
      IRVING, Texas - If you heard a collective sigh coming from the halls of Valley Ranch on Wednesday, it was the Cowboys simply taking a deep breath after a rather intense two days of free agency this week.

The Cowboys signed three players, including offensive lineman Leonard Davis, who received a $16 million signing bonus as part of a seven-year deal worth almost $50 million.

But after locking up Davis, then signing kicker Martin Gramatica to a two-year deal and backup quarterback Brad Johnson to a three-year contract, just where do the Cowboys turn from here?

While it's likely the team would prefer to sit back and wait for more pieces of the free-agent puzzle to fall into place, the Cowboys still have one more priority they would like to address before playing the waiting game.

The Cowboys are still in negotiations with offensive tackle Marc Colombo, who started every game at right tackle last season.

Colombo, an unrestricted free agent who had the first injury-free season of his career, initially was looking to cash in on the spending spree that took place here in the first week of free agency. But with Colombo having just one full year under his belt, many teams, including the Cowboys, have been reluctant to shell out a multi-year deal to a player with such a history of injuries.

Instead, the Cowboys are looking for a more practical deal in the range of two years that would give Colombo an opportunity to prove he is completely past all of his injury problems. The former first-round pick suffered a serious knee injury his rookie season in 2002 which caused him to miss all but nine games over the next three seasons.

The Cowboys have offered Colombo a two-year, $7 million deal that would pay the offensive tackle about $5 million next season in signing bonus and salary. However, if he had another productive season, the Cowboys might be more inclined to restructure Colombo's deal before he enters the final season of that contract.

The offer is basically the exact contract New Orleans re-signed Jon Stinchcomb to last weekend. Stinchcomb received a two-year, $7 million deal, and while the offer to Colombo is nearly identical, the careers of both tackles are rather similar as well.

Stinchcomb, a high second-round pick (37th overall) of the Saints in 2003, was labeled by many as a draft "bust" after playing in just 10 games in his first three seasons. Stinchcomb missed all of the 2005 season with a knee injury but returned in 2006 to play all 16 games at right tackle for the Saints, who won the NFC South division and advanced to the NFC Championship Game.

But despite his recent turnaround, Stinchcomb only signed a two-year deal as the Saints likely still have some reservations about locking him up to a long-term contract.

But if the Cowboys can indeed re-sign Colombo, who would become the team's fourth player to sign since the start of free agency, they may be done writing checks for a while.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones called the first week the "expensive part of free agency". Look for the team to sit back and wait for a few price tags to fall before jumping back into the second or maybe even the third wave of free agency.

While the Cowboys might have a need for a veteran safety, don't expect them to get into bidding wars for some of the top available players such as Ken Hamlin, Deon Grant or Kevin Kaesviharn.

Keeping Tabs

If the Cowboys can bring back Colombo, he would be the third of the team's original seven unrestricted free agents to return. The Cowboys re-signed center Andre Gurode to a six-year deal a week before the start of free agency, and then gave kicker Martin Gramatica a two-year contract on Monday.

The Cowboys have already lost two free agents to other clubs. With Gurode locked up, backup center Al Johnson signed with the Cardinals, while defensive end Kenyon Coleman joined the Jets.

Safety Tony Parrish, linebacker Al Singleton, and of course Colombo, remained unsigned.

New Home?

When the Cowboys released kicker Mike Vanderjagt last November, he didn't have much interest in finding another team before the end of the season. But while he didn't sign with another club, Vanderjagt is now looking at all of his options.

He visited the Saints on Tuesday about possibly kicking for them in 2007. New Orleans carried two kickers at the end of last year in veteran John Carney and former Cowboys kicker Billy Cundiff, who handled the kickoff duties.

Vanderjagt made 13-of-18 field goals in Dallas, but his inconsistencies led to his release on Nov. 27, 2006. The Cowboys turned to Gramatica, who made 6-of-8 kicks in the final five games and was re-signed to a two-year contract earlier this week.

7. 03-08-2007 07:37 PM #77
      colombo will be well worth the money. he was probably the most consistant lineman on the boys O-line.

8. 03-11-2007 01:26 PM #79
      at more TO bs. I don't care. Let's see if he comes up and does something this year. If he doesn't, get the hell out of Dallas. I'm tired of reading about him.

9. 03-13-2007 07:12 AM #80
      did anyone catch the special on the new dallas cowboy stadium last night on espn?

HALF A MILLION SQUARE FEET!!

10. 03-16-2007 07:20 PM #81
      look for Jules to have a big season

11. 03-16-2007 08:07 PM #82
      Quote, originally posted by spoolin turbo s »
      look for Jules to have a big season

Heres to that

12. 03-23-2007 01:49 PM #83
      Lots going on

Negotiations Begin With Hamlin; Agree With Richardson
      With the third week of free agency coming to a close, the Cowboys are in negotiations with free agent Ken Hamlin and agreed to terms with Jamel Richardson.

• Cowboys To Hold Public Memorial For Crazy Ray
      • Tragedy Strikes Aaron Glenn's Family
      • Cowboys Turn Into Recruiters With Hamlin In Town

13. 03-25-2007 08:36 AM #84

The Dallas Cowboys have reached agreement with free-agent safety Ken Hamlin on a one-year, $2.5 million deal. Hamlin also had visited the Saints, but he spent the past few days trying to finalize the deal with the Cowboys. Now Hamlin and Roy Williams will form one of the most formidable safety tandems in the league.

14. 03-25-2007 12:48 PM #85
      Man, football is still a good while away... I love football season, I love big D!

Quote, originally posted by 2002_Turbo »
      did anyone catch the special on the new dallas cowboy stadium last night on espn?

HALF A MILLION SQUARE FEET!!

I knew the half million sq ft figure was wrong. There is a newly built warehouse close to my area and its 400,000 sq ft and doesnt seem like it could hold football games.

The stadium is 2.5 million sq ft.

Modified by poetrocity at 9:50 AM 3-25-2007

15. 03-25-2007 01:14 PM #86
      Quote, originally posted by poetrocity »
      Man, football is still a good while away... I love football season, I love big D!

I knew the half million sq ft figure was wrong. There is a newly built warehouse close to my area and its 400,000 sq ft and doesnt seem like it could hold football games.

The stadium is 2.5 million sq ft.

Damn thanks for correcting me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. 03-27-2007 03:53 PM #87
      IRVING, Texas - While the Cowboys won't find out their entire 2007 regular-season schedule until probably next month, they did learn the dates and times for two home games against New York teams.

The NFL announced on Monday the Cowboys will open the season playing the New York Giants on NBC's Sunday Night Football at Texas Stadium on Sept. 9. The league also said the Cowboys will play the New York Jets on CBS in the second game of a Thanksgiving Day tripleheader Nov. 22 at Texas Stadium.

Vehicles
      2010 vw passat
      03-28-2007 09:41 PM #88
      Making an uncalled for comment in this thread just got me edited by a moderator.

Modified by Mr King at 10:47 AM 3-29-2007

2010 Passat Komfort
      http://www.michaelschultzpa.com Philadelphia and Suburbs Real Estate

18. 03-28-2007 10:40 PM #89

19. 04-04-2007 07:17 PM #90
      Owens arrived for off-season workouts

IRVING, Texas - When the Cowboys began their off-season conditioning program last week, there were only a handful of absentees from some 60 players on the roster.

One of them was wide receiver Terrell Owens, who has been in Miami rehabbing a surgically-repaired right ring finger that could keep him out of workouts for most of the off-season.

But apparently, the injury didn't prevent him from showing up to Valley Ranch and at least attempting to learn some of the new plays in Jason Garrett's offense.

Owens was on the field with the coaching staff and other teammates on Tuesday, doing some light running, though catching passes would be an adventure considering the hand injury.

There had been some question just how involved Owens would be this off-season. Not only does he have his own specific regiment and likes to train on his own, Owens' future with the Cowboys hasn't been completely confirmed.

Although team owner and general manager Jerry Jones has consistently expressed his intent to bring back Owens next season, the Cowboys still owe the wide receiver a $3 million roster bonus on June 1. The Cowboys already paid Terry Glenn a $5 million roster bonus on March 3 and Jones has called his wide receiver position one of the team's strengths this off-season, making it sound as if Owens was indeed in the plans for the 2007 season.

While his first season with the Cowboys was surrounded by controversy, Owens still led the team with 85 catches, 1,180 receiving yards and an NFL-best 13 touchdown catches.

20. 04-05-2007 04:24 PM #91
      Patrick Crayton is re-signed

IRVING, Texas - As expected, wide receiver Patrick Crayton signed his one-year, $1.3 million tender the Cowboys offered him as a restricted free agent.

Crayton had a career-high 36 catches for 516 yards and four touchdowns in his third season and emerged as a viable No. 3 receiver behind Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn. The Cowboys secured a right of first refusal for Crayton and would have received a second-round pick as compensation if they had declined to match another team's offer sheet for the former seventh-round pick.

The NFL deadline for restricted free agents to sign an offer sheet elsewhere is April 20, eight days before the draft. Teams have a seven-day window to match an offer, and the deadline allows them to have their restricted free agency settled heading into the draft.

Crayton's second-round tender proved to be a steep asking price for other teams despite his increased production in 2006.

The Cowboys paid Glenn his $5 million roster bonus last month but still owe Owens a $3 million bonus in May. Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones has repeatedly said he plans to retain Owens for the 2007 season.

Restricted free agents Lousaka Polite, Nate Jones and Jacques Reeves received original draft choice tenders ($850,000) but have yet to sign. The Cowboys would receive seventh-round picks if Jones or Reeves signed with another team but wouldn't be compensated for Polite, who was undrafted.

The Cowboys decided not to match Tennessee's four-year, $11.5 million offer sheet for linebacker Ryan Fowler but weren't compensated because he entered the league as an undrafted rookie. They did re-sign Pro Bowl punter Mat McBriar to a five-year deal before the start of free agency, however.

21. 04-12-2007 08:43 PM #92
      9/9 NY GIANTS 7:15pm
      9/16 @ Miami 3:05pm
      9/23 @ Chicago 7:15pm
      9/30 ST LOUIS Noon
      10/8 @ Buffalo 7:30pm
      10/14 NEW ENGLAND 3:15pm
      10/21 MINNESOTA Noon
      11/4 @ Philadelphia 7:15pm
      11/11 @ NY Giants 3:15pm
      11/18 WASHINGTON Noon
      11/22 NY JETS 3:15pm
      11/29 GREEN BAY 7:15pm
      12/9 @ Detroit Noon
      12/16 PHILADELPHIA 3:15pm
      12/22 @ Carolina 7:15pm
      12/30 @ Washington Noon

Great looking schedule! We can do it guys!!

22. 04-22-2007 03:15 PM #93
      Works can't describe, how much I'm waiting for this season

23. 04-27-2007 05:43 PM #94
      draft this weekend

24. 04-29-2007 01:17 PM #95
      Well Dallas got a first rounder for next year.

25. 04-29-2007 03:00 PM #96
      Quote, originally posted by poetrocity »
      Well Dallas got a first rounder for next year.

Spencer Gives Cowboys Yet Another Pass Rusher
      John Newbern - Email
      DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
      April 28, 2007 11:18 PM
      Change Font Size A A A A
      Anthony Spencer was a first-team All-Big 10 standout last year with 10 ½ sacks.

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips has another pass rusher.

The Cowboys' first-round draft pick Anthony Spencer, a defensive end in college, fits the mold for a 3-4 outside linebacker. While Spencer (6-1, 261) is a little shorter than Phillips' last linebacker project, Shawne Merriman, the head coach still sees some similarities between the two.

He found out Merriman was an ideal fit for his defensive system, and can only hope Spencer follows in his footsteps.

And the chance to be the next linebacker taught by Phillips has Spencer in a good mood.

"I'm very excited to get under his wing and learn a bunch of stuff," said Spencer in a conference call less than an hour after being selected.

The Cowboys are certainly not lacking in the linebacker department, however. They already have Pro Bowler DeMarcus Ware, who led the team with 11½ sacks last season. Greg Ellis, rehabilitating his surgically-repaired torn Achilles' from last season, is on schedule to start training camp on time. He had 4½ sacks before his season was cut short in a Nov. 12 win at Arizona.

The Cowboys also spent last year's first-round pick, 18th overall, on Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter, and had used a second-round pick in the 2005 draft for outside linebacker Kevin Burnett.

A tad crowded?

"Anytime you get pressure players, those are important players," Phillips said.

Spencer, who was a three-year starter at Purdue, finished his senior season with 10½ sacks, five forced fumbles, and 93 total tackles, an unheard of total, Phillips said, for a defensive end. He also had 26½ tackles for a loss.

His efforts earned him a finalist consideration for the Ted Hendricks Award, which is given to the top defensive end in the nation.

Although Spencer played defensive end in a 4-3 scheme in college, he said he was looking forward to working with his new head coach in the 3-4. The Purdue standout visited Valley Ranch in the months leading up to the draft, and his meetings with Phillips and owner Jerry Jones had prompted Spencer to begin working on the switch to the outside linebacker spot in the 3-4 scheme.

"We went over the defenses," Spencer said, "and what they would want me to do my first year in there. Things that they thought I would be able to do and some things they thought I would have to work on. I've definitely been working on some of those things they had in mind."

The Cowboys thought enough of Spencer to trade back up into the first round after initially trading out. To get back up, they gave Philadelphia the fourth pick in the second round, along with a third- and fifth-round pick this year to move into the 26th position.

Spencer spent draft day at home in Fort Wayne, Ind., with his family. To help pass the time, he said he played cards with his family. Finally, at pick 26, Spencer got the phone call from Jones.

"He told me that I was a Cowboy," Spencer said, "And let's win a Super Bowl. I was feeling that, so I'm ready to be down there."

The Cowboys, no matter how many linebackers they already have, are certainly ready to have him, too.

26. 04-30-2007 02:57 PM #97
      I live where Wade Phillips is from.

27. 04-30-2007 09:42 PM #98
      Quote, originally posted by murc »
      I live where Wade Phillips is from.

NICE! Get me an AUTOGRAPH!

28. 05-01-2007 12:31 AM #99
      This is his home town. Trust me when I say that he no longer lives in, or comes anywhere near this ****hole anymore. This area spawned another Cowboy legend though... Mr. Jimmy Johnson has his own boulevard over here.

Modified by murc at 9:35 PM 4-30-2007

29. 05-01-2007 06:49 AM #100
      Quote, originally posted by murc »
      This is his home town. Trust me when I say that he no longer lives in, or comes anywhere near this ****hole anymore. This area spawned another Cowboy legend though... Mr. Jimmy Johnson has his own boulevard over here.

lmao. Its all good

30. 05-02-2007 09:23 PM #101
      Cowboys Draft Choices

1st Pick
      DE Anthony Spencer
      6-3, 261lbs
      2nd Pick
      OT James Marten
      6-7.5, 309lbs
      3rd Pick
      QB Isaiah Stanback
      6-2, 216lbs
      4th Pick
      OT Doug Free
      6-6, 324lbs
      5th Pick
      K Nick Folk
      6-1, 225lbs
      6th Pick
      FB Deon Anderson
      5-10, 236lbs
      7th Pick
      CB Courtney Brown
      6-1, 205lbs
      8th Pick
      CB Alan Ball
      6-1, 175lbs

31. 05-06-2007 10:52 PM #102
      damn i can't wait for this season!!

32. 05-09-2007 02:05 PM #103
      just short

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo knew what he had to do.

He knew going into Tuesday's U.S. Open local qualifying tournament held at nearby Hackberry Creek Country Club that a score in the high 60's would be good enough to advance to the next round.

As it turned out, he was right.

Unfortunately for Romo, he just couldn't get there.

In fact, to say he came up just short would be more appropriate, considering how many putts he left just inches short of the cup in Tuesday's round.

Romo shot a 1-over, 72 for the day, four shots from advancing and good for about 25th place among 115 participants that also included former NFL quarterback Tommy Maddox, who shot a 75.

"I had about five or six putts that I just left short today," Romo said. "I had my chances there at the end. But it just didn't work out for me. But it was fun. I enjoy the competition to be out here."

The top 10 scores advanced to the sectional round for another one-day tournament consisting of about 30 golfers, all aiming for the few remaining spots in the U.S. Open, to be played this year at Oakmont Country Club near Pittsburgh.

This was Romo's first attempt to qualify for the U.S. Open since 2005, when he missed the cut by one stroke and participated in a five-man playoff to become the first alternate. Romo won that playoff but was never called back as an alternate for the sectional round.

But while he admits he's too competitive not to have some disappointment in failing to qualify, Romo said he understands his "other job" limits his practice time and ability to sharpen his game.

"I don't get out to play as much anymore," Romo said. "But it's nice to be able to come out once in a while and play a decent round. You just can't play a lot in my profession."

And not just with his profession, but his position on the team. As the Cowboys' starting quarterback, Romo knows the stakes are higher. While he said he was playing about twice a week last year, he said he's only getting to the golf course about once a week these days, if that.

"Well, it's just harder now," he said. "I just think with a new staff and everything. I have to learn a whole new offense. And I still have to improve. Football is what I do. It brings me the most enjoyment. It allows me to live a fulfilled life right now. And I just enjoy the aspect of being able to play every week. I know it's not fun if I'm not playing well."

But he doesn't take the same approach in golf. Romo said it's not often he plays golf without having some fun. And even though he would've liked to have a few of those birdie putts back, Tuesday certainly was nothing short of fun.

"It's great to get out here and be able to do this," he said. "It's fun to be able to compete for something that probably shouldn't be able to do."

While Romo wasn't too upset with his round of 72, he certainly wasn't satisfied with it either.

After parring the first three holes, Romo notched bogies on the fourth and eighth holes to put him plus-2 heading into the turn. But he already had a plan.

"I need to go four-under on this back nine to have a chance," Romo said as he chugged down bottles of Gatorade and water. "And I think I have a shot with two par 5s out there."

Another bogey on his 11th hole put him at 3-over par, five shots off his original goal.

But that's when Romo made a charge. He birdied the first par-5 hole on the 13th, followed by back-to-back birdies on the 14th and 15th to pull even. On his 15th hole, Romo sank a 15-foot putt and let out a rather loud "BAM!" to show his excitement of pulling to even with three holes to play.

However, that's as close as Romo would get. A bad break on his tee shot at 16th landed him a second shot right under a tree. He was forced to lay up and never recovered, getting a bogey before scoring pars on the final two holes.

"I thought we had a shot there at the end," Romo said. "But that's the way it goes. It was a lot of fun."

And right now, he said he plays golf strictly for fun. Romo didn't have a firm answer when asked of his possibilities of someday pursing golf on a professional level.

"I don't think about that," Romo said. "I enjoy the competition side of it. I'm sure I'll always play in something like this. Whether or not I'll ever be successful at it, I don't know. I've never really put forth the effort to get really, really mad if I don't perform at a high level at this. You know, if I didn't perform well in football, it would hurt. But this is a different deal. I'm just trying to have fun and get a good score."

And he was able to do both of those things on Tuesday. Just not good enough to advance.

33. 05-20-2007 06:07 PM #105
      Bumping a Cowboys thread during the offseason... almost as sad as T.O. bashing Parcells after he left.
      P H I L L I E S | F L Y E R S | E A G L E S | S I X E R S | P E N N- S T A T E | 'N O V A

Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast