Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: THE OFFICIAL X-FLOW SWAP POST!!!!!!

1. 04-07-2002 04:07 PM #36
      Another question for the Rabbit owners with the Crossflow and the A3 tranny swap....

Did you guys swtich to the bigger drive shaft off the 16v rocco or late cabbys? I got the late 1992 cabby axles but now I was told I need the steering nuckles and hub from the same car as well other wise the shafts will lock up. Can someone confirm this because I heard mix things about this?

I was also told I can use the A2 steering knucle with the front hub but I would have to shave like .030" off where the lower shock bolts too other wise the shock won't fit. Can someone confirm this?

Also did you change the fuel pump to a lower psi pump like one from a newer car because the rabbit fuel pumps has more pressure oppose to the newer cars. I know the unburnt fuel will go back to the tank but I just wanna comfirm this to see if it will cause future damage.

Vehicles
      94 golf
      04-07-2002 11:37 PM #37
      Just wanted to show a little love for the xflow swaps, heres some links to pics, cant post pics on here. h&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/fongul99/lst%3f.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.srch%26.view=t" TARGET="_blank">http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/fongul99/lst?.dir=/My+Photos/gold+golf&.srch&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/fongul99/lst%3f.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.srch%26.view=t

its a 90 golf, and yes its gold!
      97xflow motor
      electromotive tec2
      t3/4 turbo
      a3 rear subframe, control arms, brakes
      a2 front subframe
      a3vr6 bilstien pss9 coilovers
      etc.........

3. 04-07-2002 11:51 PM #38
      Dude lemme be the first to tell ya THAT SH*T IS TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill be IM-ing you later!

4. 04-08-2002 02:02 AM #39
      do u have any trouble with t3/4 hitting the firwall under accel???

Vehicles
      94 golf
      04-08-2002 02:55 PM #40
      quote:

Thats where the a3 rear subframe comes in to play, alot more room in the back! And also teh car hasnt moved yet, but theres about the same mout of room as my a3 was wit a t3, so a few hard shfts wil prob put it right in the correct place.
      Todd

6. 04-08-2002 05:54 PM #41
      does the a3 rear sub frame tilt the motor forward more???

7. 04-08-2002 11:28 PM #42
      Can no one answer my above question?

8. 04-09-2002 10:01 AM #43
      quote:

Thats where the a3 rear subframe comes in to play, alot more room in the back! And also teh car hasnt moved yet, but theres about the same mout of room as my a3 was wit a t3, so a few hard shfts wil prob put it right in the correct place.
      Todd

I am almost done collecting the parts for my A2 x-flow turbo setup. I will be using a t3/t4 also, what is your expected WHP goal? where in Jersey are you located? I would love to see this car in person. also who made the intake manifold for you? it is sweet!!! congrats on your project

04-09-2002 11:48 AM #44
      I didnt have a problem with my crossflow swap either, at first i was reluctant to do it because my car is an 86, so i didnt have CE2 wiring. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. My motor is a 95. I had the engine harness for it. All i had to do was get all CE2 spec interior wiring. i went ahead and called up 1800vwparts for some stuff, i spoke to Tom and told him what iw as doing and he proceeded to tell me what i needed. He set up a wiring "package" you can say that would fit my needs. I drove up like 2 hours to pick it up...bla bla bla...removed ALL wiring from my car, and layed out the new one. As far as dash wiring i did A3 wiring because of my a3 dash. As far as the motor goes, it was real straight forward. Took my old motor/downpipe/cat out. i had to swap my subframe because mine had a huge crack in it..dont ask how..i dont know..so i swapped in a subframe from a gli which had the new style mounts on it (hydrolic a2). I took all the drivetrain components off my old 1.8. pressure plate, clutch, flywheel and bolted them onto my 2.0 motor. bolted up just fine. I then bolted on my A2 tranny to the motor..rolled the motor into the engine bay and installed it. Bolted it up. i used my a2 front crossmember, that bolted up fine as well. i used my A2 radiator, A3 a/c condensor (im running ac) the wirng wasnt bad.as long as u have to plug in stuff, youre set, once you have to start splicing wires it gets a bit tricky......i can answer some questions too..right now my car is dead..i think i messed up the timing putting on a new pressure plate/clutch but it'll be back on the road in real soon....heres a few pics of my swap..soem of you have probablly seen them already. the engine bay is no longer in primer...its painted Platinum Grey off the new Turbo Beetle S, hence that is the color im painting the rest of the car soon....enjoy..

shes rocking single round now btw...

and this one is for all you IcY Hot StuNnAz out there...ahahahaha

Vehicles
      94 golf
      04-09-2002 02:11 PM #45

[/QUOTE] Thats where the a3 rear subframe comes in to play, alot more room in the back!
      ToddI am almost done collecting the parts for my A2 x-flow turbo setup. I will be using a t3/t4 also, what is your expected WHP goal? where in Jersey are you located? I would love to see this car in person. also who made the intake manifold for you? it is sweet!!! congrats on your project [/QUOTE]

Im in central jersey, the local machine sop made teh intake,and im really not sure on the hp. But its gonna be some where in the range of high 200s on the stock block.

Vehicles
      02 S2000, '68 Mini Pickup
      04-09-2002 10:53 PM #46
      Well for all you guys like me who are either lazy or uneducated (both work). I called 1-800-vwparts. And talked to a guy named Tom, he has done about a dozen of these swaps, anbd builds kits of every little thing you need. HE told me on the phone tonight, that for a kit for my CE2 8v GTI, it would cost $1000. This includes every little thing you need for the swap including a non ac set up, an engine with 30k and everything needed to make it work. Nothing else needed to buy. He also said for $1300 you can get an engine with lightened flywheel, AMS chip, and K&N cone filter. Well, I am going to be buying the $1300 deally without the flywheel(i already have one)

Now all the people who want to do the swap but do not know what they need, you are set. Give this guy a call.

Good luck all

Matt

12. 04-10-2002 11:45 AM #47
      OKay I have an update on my swap Ive been working the bugs out.Ive been having a bad problem with belt size. The 38 I had on there was enirely too tight. It is now a 4 rib 3 piece belt. When I put the 38.5 inch belt on it was good until it streched out and rubbed. Its all to pieces. I have finally found the right size belt!!! Go to NAPA and the 380 K6 that they sell. Printed on the back of the package are actual demensions, 38.5! funny thing is that their books states that it is actually 38.75 inches, go figure! Im loking for the Part number now. Did anyone else have this problem?

[Modified by ilovemy92gti, 8:51 AM 4-10-2002]

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CW Golf TDI, 2013 Evil Undead
      04-10-2002 08:22 PM #48
      Here's a question that has already popped up and now I'm having issues with it too. Are you guys that already have the x-flow swap done using the stock CIS fuel pump or have you switched to something that is pushing with a little less pressure? The reason I ask is that I've currently got a fuel pump problem and while doing some research I've found that the CIS pump runs at 5.2 bar while the motronic pump only pushes about 3 bar. I think that the extra back pressure in the fuel system spelled disaster for my fuel pump (after 3400 solid miles) and now I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with especially since I'm considering changing my pressure reg. when I change to a p&p head and big cam. And also I'm considering swinging this project into turbo territory and don't want to have to buy a fuel pump more than once.
      Thanks,
      Jason
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

14. 04-10-2002 08:38 PM #49
      used the stock digifant fuel pump, but the cis one is better for higher hp applications, such as turbo or spray. the reason yours prolly went south was due to a filtering problem, not the pump itself.

btw, a2 x-flows are all SLOW, especially the gold one and the black one running around in north jersey!!! anyone know who those two kids are???

15. 04-10-2002 08:41 PM #50
      damn, that black pos is all differnet colors right now and looks like hell. someone tell that kid to either paint his car or junk it, he is a disgrace to vw lovers everywhere.

04-11-2002 12:00 AM #51
      quote:
      damn, that black pos is all differnet colors right now and looks like hell. someone tell that kid to either paint his car or junk it, he is a disgrace to vw lovers everywhere.

umm...i hope you aint talkin about mine......

17. 04-11-2002 12:24 PM #52
      quote:

Thats where the a3 rear subframe comes in to play, alot more room in the back!
      ToddI am almost done collecting the parts for my A2 x-flow turbo setup. I will be using a t3/t4 also, what is your expected WHP goal? where in Jersey are you located? I would love to see this car in person. also who made the intake manifold for you? it is sweet!!! congrats on your project

Im in central jersey, the local machine sop made teh intake,and im really not sure on the hp. But its gonna be some where in the range of high 200s on the stock block.

sweet that is right around the area that i am shooting for (250+ on stock internals)

I see a few people have used 1800vwparts. 1300 bucks is not bad for a low mileage engine and all the needed to complete the swap (mine came with an autothority chip, i didn't know that they have AMS chip now). Tom really knows this swap He was the one that did mine for me.

As for all A2 X-flows being slow They definitely aren't the fastest things on the street, but coming for a 1.8 8v, it definitely is more of a fun car to drive. (turbo..coming soon will take car of the rest )

Vehicles
      04-11-2002 01:28 PM #53
      ur right...authoirty chip...i am losing my mind

19. 04-11-2002 01:51 PM #54
      What is 1800vwparts? Do they have a website?

Vehicles
      04-11-2002 05:52 PM #55
      thats their phone #...good guys

Vehicles
      '10 TDI JSW, '03 Xterra, '81 Polo
      04-11-2002 10:09 PM #56
      I am picking up a 94 Jetta this weekend for my donor car. 600 bucks. So I couldn't pass it up. Hope to do the swap in May sometime.

Vehicles
      04-11-2002 10:13 PM #57
      how many miles?

Vehicles
      '10 TDI JSW, '03 Xterra, '81 Polo
      04-11-2002 10:18 PM #58
      Not sure, a buddy of mine that is a VW tech found it in a yard. The battery is disconnected so he couldn't see the mileage. But he looked at in and said nothing was leaking and everything looked pretty good. So we are going to pull it and check the bearings and what not. So hopefully it is all good, I am just happy to have found a complete car so I don't have to part together harnesses, ecu, etc.

24. 04-11-2002 10:28 PM #59
      I called Tom today and for my 86 GTi to be converted to a 2.0 the kit is gonna run me 1400 cuz I don't have a central electric car, I think that is a great deal still... My friends seem to think that is a rip off if they are such bargain hunters how come they have not given me any other suggestions? Exactly my point.. they think I can just buy a farkin' 2.0 an ecu and a harness and just throw it into an 86 sorry NOPE doesn't work that way.. sorry to vent but I just wanted to give a thumbs up to Tom and 1800vwparts for making it easy to do this swap =D I should be heading to New York sometime in the near future to pick up my swap kit!

25. 04-12-2002 01:54 AM #60

Anyone do this swap in a Rabbit with out the power steering pump, if so how?

I want to use as much A3 components as possible like A3 alternator with non AC bracket, A3 water pump and pulley because this is what i got right now.

What do I do with the power steering pump and pulley? Can I just remove and use a shorter belt?

Vehicles
      29' Model A, 03' Land Cruiser
      04-12-2002 02:21 AM #61
      quote:

Anyone do this swap in a Rabbit with out the power steering pump, if so how?

I used all rabbit stuff, including the alt (the A/C one). I just played with pulleys and belts till I found a setup that worked.

Chris

27. 04-12-2002 10:26 AM #62
      I know that method will work, but i was hoping to use the A3 stuff instead.. but not sure how to get around the non power steering issue

28. Member
      Vehicles
      81 rabbit, 02 mini cooper s
      04-12-2002 11:11 AM #63
      quote:

umm...i hope you aint talkin about mine......

i think the black car he's talking about is his own ....and it aint as slow as he says.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      04-12-2002 01:57 PM #64
      I have a friend that put a x-flow into an 86 GTi and used the a3 alt. but left off the power steering and a/c. I think it was just a matter of finding the shorter belt. With mine I'm using an alt. from a 16v with my original pulleys on the crank and water pump and had to play with belts a little until I found one that fit right. I think it'll still go through some revisions.
      Good luck,
      Jason
      Lately I have been testing "tip-in events". Just the tip-in. Just to see how it feels. Response time is typically on the order of 2-3 seconds. Sometimes the injection timing is a little off...

Vehicles
      04-14-2002 10:53 AM #65
      bump for the best post

31. 04-14-2002 04:40 PM #66
      Word

32. 04-14-2002 08:31 PM #67
      Thanx guys

33. 04-17-2002 10:09 PM #68
      How much taller is the OBDII throttle body because I still haven't put the motor in my rabbit yet and i'm worried about clearance issues...

34. Member
      Vehicles
      04-18-2002 12:56 PM #69
      The OBDII tb will almost clear under the hood of a rabbit. That's what I have in mine and I cut a small hole in my hood but after getting it all together I think I only needed to cut out the hood supports that are a part of the bottom of the hood. I haven't had any problems but if you use rubber motor mounts the tb might knock on the hood under acceleration.
      Jason

35. 04-18-2002 01:25 PM #70
      Cutting the hood?

Can anyone else confirm this because the most I would cut is the hood support and not the hood...

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast