Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: THE OFFICIAL X-FLOW SWAP POST!!!!!!

Vehicles
      1991 VR6 COUPE
      03-26-2003 10:19 AM #176
      that is all fine and good but that does not answer my question what mount and bracket do you use with an A2 subframe.i really do not want to take the subframe back out this thing is on it's way to the paint shop in like 2 weeks and if i have to i'll fab a rear mount bracket,but i know you guys are using the mount from something vw
      "IF you know more than I do then WHY did you ask me in the first place!"

2. 03-27-2003 12:50 PM #177
      quote:
      btw it is the p.s. pulley hitting
      The p/s pulley is not near the frame rail at all...do you mean the crank pulley, the little outer most one that spins the p/s belt? Whats your mount setup currently? I have not had that problem on several swaps...sounds like you have crap mounts if your engine is moving around that much...
      remeber there are different types of rear and front mounts for an A2 so be specific....

[Modified by PAGTI91, 9:52 AM 3-27-2003]

Vehicles
      1991 VR6 COUPE
      03-27-2003 09:11 PM #178
      ok yes it is the pulley on the crank that is hitting .i am using all the a2 stuff with all new mounts and a poly insert in the rear ,but the motor is for some reason tilted to the drivers side .i did not have this problem until i replaced the rear mount but i know that the reason it was setting down was that the rear mount was bad.now i am using the rear mechanical mount not the hydro one like in the late 16v cars.i don't know if that will make a differance or if a have the wrong bracket on the block.but as far as i know it all came off my old motor.(it took me like a year to get the swap done)i had alot going on.

4. 03-31-2003 07:20 PM #179
      for those who have obdII in a ce2 car here is how you get the tach to work. run a wire from the neg side of coil, the obdII coil is not the same as an obdI, i does not have the nuts to put the wire under. i soldered mine to the neg side under the little cover. run the wire that you installed to G1\12 color should be green\black. it works try it. i will get some pics up soon.

Vehicles
      87 rocco 2l16v w/02a lsd 4.24
      04-14-2003 02:04 AM #180
      A2 throttle cable how to. on a obd2 flip the throttle body 180 degrees. and use a 8v rocco throttle cable. this was discovered by volksport1987. compliments of my project car. 84 model
      87 rocco 2l16v MS3 02a/j with 4.24 on LSD. 91 rado geting 1.8t, 02 cabrio geting vr6, 04 r32 vf stg 2 sc, and a few other goodies

Vehicles
      90 Coupe Vr6sc, 95 Glx, 97 K2 Golf
      04-15-2003 05:25 PM #181
      what is the differances between obd1 and obd2, how can you tell, which is better?
      I'D rather look baller then be baller!

My Huge Coupe Project

Vehicles
      98gtivr6
      04-15-2003 06:44 PM #182
      Where is 1800vwparts located? I am looking into doing an obd1 swap in my 87 gti and it seems like these guys are really knowledgable when it comes to xflow swaps. I am in connecticut and I would much rather get all the parts from one place then try to source them all myself.

8. 04-17-2003 01:26 PM #183
      i really wanna do the cross flow swap in my 88 jetta but i really would like to know how much wiring is really involved?my car is digifant 2 injection and it would be me and my mechanic doing the swap.i've never done anything like this and he has only swapped chevy and ford motors.i just don't wanna get in over my head and never have my car run again.thanks...

Vehicles
      04-17-2003 07:59 PM #184
      Finally got mine in,
      I hope these pictures work

My Huge Coupe Project

10. 04-17-2003 10:00 PM #185
      real nice, looks like you kept the a/c?

Vehicles
      98gtivr6
      04-18-2003 12:16 AM #186
      alpinegli, how long did the swap take? did you do it yourself? i am just wondering because i am considering the going the same route in my GTI.

Vehicles
      04-18-2003 03:34 PM #187
      quote:
      alpinegli, how long did the swap take? did you do it yourself? i am just wondering because i am considering the going the same route in my GTI.
      Um well my mechanic did all the work, and it took a little over a week, but it would have taken a lot less longer but somhow ther was double some of the factory harness, and i guess it was a wireing nightmere, plus he had other jobs going too, but it wasn't that long.

My Huge Coupe Project

Vehicles
      04-18-2003 04:25 PM #188
      what are some upgrades i can do to this moter befor going all out and turboing it. I already have techtonics exaust, and intake what else can i do, what is a good chip, how much and where, an pics of any mods would be nice. thanks.

My Huge Coupe Project

14. 04-18-2003 11:43 PM #189
      hey guys .in a few months i'm gonna do this swap in my 88 jetta digi 2 and i'm gonna order the kit from 1800vwparts.i was thinking though....when i get the new motor in and the wring harness in do i just swap the fuse panel and plug in the wiring harness?or will i have to take my dash apart and stuff?my car is ce 1 wiring.and also i was thinking when i swap my car to ce2 wiring will that automatically give me the motronic set up?because i wanna ditch digi.thanks and sorry so long but just wondering if i'm thinking right at all...

Vehicles
      1991 VR6 COUPE
      04-21-2003 12:18 PM #190
      ok if you are using the a2 subframe what rear mount did you use.the mech,or the late a2 16v hydo? as i posted before i was using the a2 mech mount and the motor sat unlevel now i am using a modded a3 rear mount but i want to know what everyone else w a2 subframes are using

16. 04-22-2003 11:00 AM #191
      O.k., here are some of my many questions, car is a 1984 rabbit vert. Engine is an 1995 OBD1, I am using the longblock and converting everything to Motronic, bye bye CIS.
      Engine mounts, they are all toast, should I just replace them with stock? I found polys a bit too harsh on my old A2 GTI and of course A1's already have less suspension travel.
      How did any of you mount the ECU in the rain tray, pics?
      The wiring harness, did you cut new holes or run through existing grommet holes. I don't want to pull the old harness out since it has all the lighting and ancilliary functions.
      Manual steering rack, one bushing is toast, but the the whole rack seems to be dirty inside. What can I clean this with (engine/brake cleaner?) and what is best to re-grease it?
      Accesories, can I use the A3 accesories even though I am not running PS or AC?
      If not, what do I need (A2 alternator, etc).
      There's more but that's a start.

17. 04-23-2003 01:58 AM #192
      what does the sensor on the intake manifold do. It is the two wire sensor behind the two nipples on the left side of the intake mani. I see that the pic of the swap above has this sensor wires just cut off. Is this an important sensor for running the motor or is it not important at all? Please help because I need to know if I have to get a new sensor because mine is melted.

18. 04-23-2003 07:33 AM #193
      its the air temp sensor and it definately NEEDS to be hooked up. That guy has a Check engine light right now and should get his isht fixed unless the wires are neatly hidden

[Modified by PAGTI91, 4:34 AM 4-23-2003]

19. 04-23-2003 05:01 PM #194
      Anyone know any answers to my questions? And some more, for the fuel lines, is it possible to run rubber gas hose from the old steel tubing to the fuel rail on the ABA or is it too much pressure to use hose clamps?

20. 04-24-2003 12:14 AM #195
      my .02 -
      mounts - I hate A1 mounts, get what you can tolerate...probly stock if you drive alot...
      ECU mounted in rain tray - Yup, I drilled a big hole on the pass. side of the rain tray an then put the harness through and used the factory rubber grommet in the hole., its not that bad...I have seen people notch the rain tray and press the factory harness grommet in place.
      Harnesses - I spliced the old A2 CE2 ac/rad harness into the A3, so I didn't need tha big black box in the engine bay. Used existing holes except for the ECU in the rain tray.
      I used an A3 lighting harness, but in your case I would keep what you have in, that old harness has like 5 hotwires in the whole thing ha ha...j/k...
      you can use A3 accessories...its a tight fit in a A1...but it fits.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      92 SLC, 90 GLI
      04-25-2003 11:57 PM #196
      So wait a sec, you guys didnt use the new fan control module? What did you use, just the old stuff to control the fan? Does the Aba engine harness have something that controls this fan module?

22. 04-26-2003 12:13 PM #197
      quote:
      Does the Aba engine harness have something that controls this fan module?
      The black box module in the ABA engine is for Fan Control and the a/c. I cut it out and used A2 stuff cause its easier for a/c (A3 stuff does not match up with A2 interior controls to well) and it gets rid of that big black thing.
      You won't get any CEL's by removing it, its not monitored by the ECU. But you will have to find a way to rig up your rad fan. Or if you have no plans for a/c, just keep it and splice in the A2 fan switch or buy an A3 fan switch.

23. 04-26-2003 02:58 PM #198
      Thanks for the info PAGTI91, I guess I am keeping A1 stock mounts but I think I will go with diesels since they are a litle more robust. As for wiring, not too bad, I have the Bentley for both cars and the wiring on the A1 is very simple. I'm an electrician so it's a lot easier for me to deal with the wiring. The A3 stuff as far as engine harnessing is pretty good, much better in the way it fans out rather than the one piece A1 looms that wrap the whole engine bay dropping off wires. I'm using the new A3 harness complete but retaining all of the A1 lights/signalling wiring. Does anyone know if an A1 rad is adequate for the 2.0L? Or would I be best to go to A2 or Scirocco?

24. 04-28-2003 01:04 AM #199
      very nice thread.
      I'm looking around for a 2.0 aba engine at the moment to put in my 82 rocco.
      I have read this thread completely and I am still not clear wether anyone has successfully ran WITHOUT a/c or power steering.
      anyone in EASTERN PA are that can help me with this swap when all parts are located.

25. 04-28-2003 07:13 AM #200
      Quote, originally posted by eastcoastdubs »
      I have read this thread completely and I am still not clear wether anyone has successfully ran WITHOUT a/c or power steering.
      anyone in EASTERN PA are that can help me with this swap when all parts are located.

ya, its been done with no a/c and ps without problems, get a water pump pulley and run the smaller belt around crank, water pump and alternator, thats pretty much all you have to do. You can remove the p/s pulley/pump/brackets.
      There is a handful of us that could help you in central PA, don't know about the eastern scene. yours is going to be a little harder going into a rocco, not much, but its not as easy as a swap into a 90-92 A2.

Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast