Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vibration, NOT a rough idle

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      01-26-2007 09:56 PM #1
      As outlined in this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3032588

I had a recent misfire issue. Unfortunately the dealer has been unable to find the source. Since the original misfire I can feel the car vibrating when I am in drive or reverse and am stopped with the brake applied (ex - waiting at a stop light). It goes away when I drive and when I am in neutral. I realize there is SOME vibration noticeable in gear, possibly because of the way the engine is mounted. However, this seems different.

The tach stays at 750 rpm in idle (it may fluctuate a TINY bit but never goes over 800 at idle) as always. The vibration feels much like a vibration one would feel if a cell phone or pager were left on vibrate. This doesn't seem to be a rough idle where the car is "jittery" or "jerks", and, as mentioned, the rpm doesn't change.

I would think a bad coilpack or plug (plugs changed at 40K, Im now at 45k) would cause a misfire, and a CEL. I've looked into a throttle body cleaning and will do this, but I would think that would cause a rough idle as well. My understanding is that a MAF problem would be similar.

The only thing I can think of is a motor or tranny mount issue, but the car only has 45k miles and this problem was non existent until the misfire. Im almost certain it isn't related to having the car lowered recently.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat Variant V6Tip;92 Golf GL sold; 71 Type 2 sold; KlunkerCruiser; 58" Sector9
      01-27-2007 01:56 AM #2
      i cant believe i saw this post, i know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
      i have recently encountered the same situation 2 weeks ago now.
      i noticed it waiting in line at the drop-off point at my kid's school.
      i thought it was because the engine was cold from the morning start, (my kid's school is 3 mi away)but it is not the case, i think.
      this does not happen during my drive to the office(12 mi), on errand drives during lunchtime(1 mi at best), stuck in light traffic on the way home at 4:30pm.

my odo just passed 41700 and the ride is all OE/stock(boring).
      do i need to be concerned or leave it?

tech advice/opinions would help----thanks.

Drive like the wind, straining the limits of machine and man...
      The 101 is my personal slalom course...
      Every time he goes for a swim, dolphins appear = stay thirsty my friends...

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      01-27-2007 09:19 AM #3
      Have you had any issues lately? misfires, CELs etc?

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      01-27-2007 10:13 PM #4
      This is driving me nuts. I looked at the plugs today and they looked ok to me. Some black/dark brown on the threads but that doesnt seem abnormal. center insulator is still perfectly white, electrode is ok, has normal brown-grey discoloration.

Will do a throttle body cleaning next weekend.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat Variant V6Tip;92 Golf GL sold; 71 Type 2 sold; KlunkerCruiser; 58" Sector9
      02-03-2007 01:07 AM #5
      sorry for the late reply, i have been away and i got sick.

no, it does not happen all the time, weird.

i get concerned but i dont notice it and then i dont get concerned.

what to do...

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      02-03-2007 11:09 AM #6
      Yes there have been a few times that I have not noticed it. Since the car misfired a few weeks ago I have had no other problems, and the root cause is still not known.

I plan on doing a throttle body cleaning soon.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      02-03-2007 12:33 PM #7
      I've seen a simalar problem on an A6. The cylinder would miss fire at idle but not while driving. The cust would drive around the block and come nack and w/ brake on in gear or at idle after the drive it would miss once in awhile. VAG-COM would count the misfires, so we replaced the coil for that cylinder and that was it.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      02-03-2007 01:46 PM #8
      Well, I don't think it's misfiring. It would throw a code and CEL, which it hasn't done since the original misfire episode.

I want to swap coils with someone and see what that does.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      02-03-2007 05:31 PM #9
      not always, the A6 didn't have a code. I think it was infrequent enough to not, but noticeable for the missfire recognition to count it and for a person to hear/feel it. Do you have access to VAG-COM, if you do go to 01-engine meas block 016 and see if it's counting any missfires.

10. 02-03-2007 09:18 PM #10
      same exact thing happened to me, 44447 on the clock and as i was sitting at a light i felt a slight vibration, kinda like a shimmy. i also noticed my cel blinked 5-6 times, which is usually emmissions related. what's the deal and has anyone had any word from the dealer?

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      02-03-2007 10:27 PM #11
      Well the dealer mechanic who looked at my car said I had the wrong plugs in. The service adviser relayed this to me. I told him I checked the bentley manual ETKA, and several VW websites before getting the plugs but he still said I had the wrong plugs, until he asked the guy at the parts counter. (You would think the words "Bentley Manual" and especially "ETKA" would make him stop and think, apparently not)

So, it's still a mystery as to what caused it.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      02-03-2007 11:53 PM #12
      If they are anything like our local dealer, 25% of the time they're guessing. And they've got the factory scanners. I've proven them wrong more than once with only VAG-COM and the manual. (I think Vag-Com maybe a superior tool than the one that it emulates) I also have the ability to do roadtests, where as I don't think VW allows that and again Vag-Com proves superior when installed on a laptop.

13. 02-07-2007 10:00 PM #13
      same thing happened to me. Found a bad vacumn line off the intake. Also had a bad MAF...Got both fixed, no more intermittant "Check Engine" lights. I have owned many VW's..have found Vacumn lines can be an issue but luckily they are cheap to repair. Have a vacumn leak test done. It can't hurt. I also generally stay away from the dealer. Found a Eurpoean car "God" near me.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2007 11:40 PM #14
      ok, no warning lights whatsoever. no shuddering. no loss of power.
      just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing, i can only describe it as a "heavier" type of idle, almost like the engine still needs to warm-up or something. at a braked full stop, i would shift into N and the vibration would mellow, what does that mean?
      and i think i narrowed it down to only happening on an incline, i only notice this when i am stuck in my kid's traffic line to his school.
      it is all slightly or totally uphill for 1.5 miles at 5-10 mph.

can you guys describe the conditions/situations that you're in when it happens?

15. 02-14-2007 09:56 AM #15
      for me it happens when it's cold, stopped, on a slight down incline. heavier idle, in fact the last time it happened i saw the tach drop about 250rpm and the cel started flickering

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      02-15-2007 08:02 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by davewagen »

just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing, i can only describe it as a "heavier" type of idle, almost like the engine still needs to warm-up or something. at a braked full stop, i would shift into N and the vibration would mellow, what does that mean?

This sounds accurate. However, i do not notice any change in RPM. I have noticed sometimes it seems to idle fine and I dont notice any vibration at all.

17. 02-16-2007 10:10 PM #17
      I had something similar happen today. Car was parked in my parking garage (not on an incline), started it, shuddered, lights started blinking (including the CEL), shut it off, turned it off/on a few more times. Waited a minute, turned it back on, and it was fine, but the CEL is still on. I'm at 65K now. I had the vacuum hose replaced at 55K which was the last time the CEL came on.

Question - do you have to hook up to a VAG-COM to get the CEL indicator to go off once it has cut on?

(I just spent $500 last Friday on new CV boots and oil change. Didn't want another repair).

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      02-18-2007 12:41 AM #18
      just cleaned my throttle body. the throttle body wasnt bad to begin with, so cleaning it made no change...

19. 02-18-2007 06:43 PM #19
      My CEL finally went off on its own this afternoon....

20. 02-18-2007 07:23 PM #20
      this afternoon it happened as soon as i started the car, the idle was rougher than usual so i was waiting for the damn cel to flash, it finally did, then stayed on. it's still on but with regular idle

21. 02-18-2007 09:27 PM #21
      ME TOO and I drive the TDI.

Lots of stop and got traffic exascerbates the situation. Coming to a stop at operating temperature from low speed = vibrations. I am sure it is the tranny as it goes away when shifting to Neutral.

22. 02-19-2007 08:18 AM #22
      I'm not a chemist or anything, but I think my problem was that I started backing my car into my parking space in the parking garage. It almost seemed like the fumes from starting the car after a cold day got sucked back into the engine and that's what caused it to shudder and set the CEL off. I could be totally off base, but I'm not going to back into my space this week and see how it does.

23. 02-19-2007 09:29 PM #23
      I went for a test drive in a 03 wagon and it did the same thing you guys are talking about. It was real ruff with foot on brake and in drive. If I shifted to neutral or back in park it quit. It was so bad that the windows rattled. odd.

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      02-19-2007 09:55 PM #24
      Its driving me nuts.....Taking it to the dealer tomorrow afternoon.

25. 02-20-2007 03:41 PM #25
      Please post the results...

Vehicles
      2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      02-20-2007 07:26 PM #26
      I cant believe it.

I go to work today and the car is driving fine. Seriously. NO vibration other than the normal feeling you always get with the car in gear. I take it to the dealer, explain my problem, and they basically said it was up to me if I wanted to leave it or not. The service adviser sat in the car and said he couldn't feel anything unusual. Gave me his card and told me to call him when it happens and he can get me in that day.

For the past 3 weeks I've had this stupid vibration and this is one time out of maybe two that it HASNT done it. The one time I WANT it to happen and it doesn't.....

Im doing some suspension work in the next few days. maybe I will have time to check the motor and tranny mounts as well and possible rule that out.

27. 02-21-2007 02:38 PM #27
      I've had similar problems for a long while now...I've got 103k on mine...I got the random rough idle with accompaning light just a month ago though. I am in the same boat as ou all - rough idle and vibration but everyone else seems to think I'm crazy...over the last 40k I've just come to terms with mine....sometimes it goes a long time without an "episode." :-P