Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Current News on the "New" Scirocco (Feb.06.2007)

1. 08-10-2007 09:54 PM #106
      Quote, originally posted by PUMA4kicks »
      I love how everyone is down on this car. We haven't even seen it(in person) nor have we driven it and we hate it! Too funny.

It's because of VW's history here in the states that's why we are down on this car.......wait u'll see

later,

-Mark

2. 08-10-2007 09:57 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by GTiMark23 »

It's because of VW's history here in the states that's why we are down on this car.......wait u'll see

later,

-Mark

Still learning, but please, educate me.

3. 08-10-2007 11:56 PM #108
      Quote, originally posted by PUMA4kicks »

Still learning, but please, educate me.

This new car needs to be VWs sports car if it is called Scirocco. The look is wrong. Way wrong. Not Scirocco at all.

Over the years VWs have become heavy and over sized. The Golf 5 is near twice the weight of the Golf 1. The Scirocco had a charm of its own. It was light on its feet and fun to drive. This IROC has no DNA of the old Scirocco at all. This IROC does not appeal to the same type of driver as the Scirocco. So why call it a Scirocco at all. A new name would be way more appropriate. Then we may cut it some slack. This IROC is just one more big heavy VW blob. What is the point of it other than it is more like what the next Golf GTI could be like. If it is going to look like a Golf call it a Golf.

You don't need to drive it to know that the IROC is no RX8, S2000, or even a TC. The IROC is a boy racer BOX CIVIC with way more weight added to it. Why?

4. 08-11-2007 12:25 AM #109
      Quote, originally posted by vw53a »

This new car needs to be VWs sports car if it is called Scirocco. The look is wrong. Way wrong. Not Scirocco at all.

Over the years VWs have become heavy and over sized. The Golf 5 is near twice the weight of the Golf 1. The Scirocco had a charm of its own. It was light on its feet and fun to drive. This IROC has no DNA of the old Scirocco at all. This IROC does not appeal to the same type of driver as the Scirocco. So why call it a Scirocco at all. A new name would be way more appropriate. Then we may cut it some slack. This IROC is just one more big heavy VW blob. What is the point of it other than it is more like what the next Golf GTI could be like. If it is going to look like a Golf call it a Golf.

You don't need to drive it to know that the IROC is no RX8, S2000, or even a TC. The IROC is a boy racer BOX CIVIC with way more weight added to it. Why?

You have some valid thoughts. At the same time there are very simple things that need to be considered to understand just how a modern Scirocco should be engineered to fit in todays automotive market.

1) Safety standards are a lot more stringent now than ever, especially at the time of the original Scirocco(could VW have ever dreamed). This means more safety systems(airbags, esp, etc.) must be included in the cars which of course adds more weight. A harsh reality we cannot live without(pun fully intended).

2) The design has to be bought up to modern times to make sense to consumers. VW has gone retro once, do they need to do it again? Understandably there are many here that don't take to the new Scirocco's design simply because it just doesn't live up to old standards, but we're the minority.

3) I doubt either of the two things I mentioned above you haven't considered before. Maybe?

5. 08-11-2007 02:49 AM #110

Take a look at the Audi R8. The R8 is more Scirocco than the IROC.
      The R8 is new and updated. I am sure that the R8 passes all the latest safety standards. If the R8 were the Scirocco we would have way less issues!

OK, you say that the R8 is too much car for VW.
      Then give us the looks of the R8 with less motor and less sticker shock. That would would make a good Scirocco starting point.

The Mazda RX8 is a great car and can kick the but of any MK5 Golf in any real world road racing. Notice that the RX8 is sporty and still has 4 seats. The RX8 is updated.

As far as the Mays Bug goes, VW is building a stupid retro new bug. The Porsche designed bug was a full concept with the motor in the rear and the body got its stiffness from the curves in the body. The new bug has the motor in the front but is made to look like a car that was designed with the motor in the back. The new Bug is a Toon Town car (cartoon like). I don't want the Scirocco to be a Toon Town car.

A full retro Scirocco is not the 100% desire for all Scirocco drivers or the sports drivers of this world. A Scirocco driver wants a real car that works and looks sporty. The Scirocco has always been an inexpensive and way more versatile BMW M1, Lotus, or Porsche. The Scirocco was never a high powered car in the US. It looked like it was fast and it could be driven fast. The Scirocco driver of today does not want a sports car that looks like a Mini Van. We all know that the Golf chassis and the Scirocco chassis were the same back in the A1 days. It is not the underpinnings that make the IROC a Golf and not a Scirocco. It is the shape.

Yes I see your points.

The market is saying Don't try to sell us a (an IROC) brick and call it a dart. A brick is a brick so call it a brick. The IROC is a GOLF so call it a GOLF not a Scirocco.

Y5VKPPmSujSqM:http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com/designs/proven/dart/DART.jpg" BORDER="0">

Modified by vw53a at 8:29 AM 8-11-2007

6. 08-11-2007 02:14 PM #111
      A real sports car doesn't have rear seats. Mine have been out of the car since last century. Talk about cargo room!

7. 08-11-2007 03:16 PM #112
      I couldn't agree more, I am speechless great job Kathy

-Mark

8. 08-14-2007 05:33 PM #113

A full retro Scirocco is not the 100% desire for all Scirocco drivers or the sports drivers of this world. A Scirocco driver wants a real car that works and looks sporty. The Scirocco has always been an inexpensive and way more versatile BMW M1, Lotus, or Porsche. The Scirocco was never a high powered car in the US. It looked like it was fast and it could be driven fast. The Scirocco driver of today does not want a sports car that looks like a Mini Van. We all know that the Golf chassis and the Scirocco chassis were the same back in the A1 days. It is not the underpinnings that make the IROC a Golf and not a Scirocco. It is the shape.

Exactly. It should be a Fastback hatch at the very least. There arent enough sexy fastbacks unless you're in the 50k + market, which was also the same story during the original roc days.

Vehicles
      2004 R32 DBM OG owner, 2015 E-golf
      08-17-2007 02:58 PM #114
      BOOOOOO to VWOA for being LAME!!!!!!!!
      Can we just start our own VW company in the US and make only hot cars and dump all the stupid politics about what VWOA THINKS is worthy of the US market...

As far as the 'rocco goes, that sucks, I was planning on making that my next VW, the R32 MKIV that i was one of the first US owners for is still an awesome car and proof that IF they listen to US we'll be faithful to follow through and buy these great cars...
      I was only hoping that the 'rocco was a fast back too, like so....

and a more grounded front end and better side reflection, not the droopy line on the concept...

Vehicles
      01/VW/Passat, 09/H-D/XL883
      08-18-2007 06:00 PM #115
      those photos are more scirocco like

11. 08-21-2007 12:18 AM #116
      Quote, originally posted by aaron_m »

Exactly. It should be a Fastback hatch at the very least. There arent enough sexy fastbacks unless you're in the 50k + market, which was also the same story during the original roc days.

I agree. And VW gave us watered down Sciroccos until they finally gave us the 16V.

Unfortunately VWOA seems to have reverted to it's pre Rabbit GTi "head in the sand" days. VWOA does not sell a small VW. VW was known for small efficient cars back when. The new "Rabbit" is a joke - it gets crappier fuel economy than the original.

VW Germany has sought input from Scirocco enthusiasts in Germany (I have a friend that was so invited) - so here's hoping VW Germany makes it good.

Sciroccos forever!
      Get on the list: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scirocco-l

12. 08-21-2007 04:45 AM #117
      I think it'll look more like this :

i love this look !!

13. 08-24-2007 01:07 AM #118
      The "NEW sC1r0cCO" is a total loss as a Scirocco coupe.
      I don't think there is any hope that VW will make a coupe out of it.
      In an industry interview VW acknowledged the total departure from the traditional coupe style and justified it by saying it was the only way to make room for the rear passengers. The trunk "volume" is the same as the MK1 Scirocco but the usable floor space is smaller on the new car. Note that the volume is all up near the roof and not on the floor. Over all this "NEW sC1r0cCO" is less sporty and has less usable trunk space than the 1974 version due to the desire to make more rear passenger space. If you ask me VW used the GOLF spec to design this car.

As a Golf the "NEW sC1r0cCO" may be more interesting than the other mini van Golfs. The feed back that I have gotten is that the IROC reminds many of the boy racer CIVICs of the 90s. It is not just the shape but the all the Boy racer trim with the Fast and Furious color green. It will difficult for VW to alter the street racer first impression.

With a new wave of other cars that have a similar shape the IROC may find itself out classed like the first R32 and the MK5 Golf did. As driving goes both the R32 and the MK5 Golf were nice but the STI / EVO AWD and CIVIC 2WD were faster and more interesting to the enthusiast market.

Quote, originally posted by Mash »
      VW Germany has sought input from Scirocco enthusiasts in Germany (I have a friend that was so invited) - so here's hoping VW Germany makes it good.

True but that enthusiasts group had nearly no influence and most of them are protesting VWs direction. The head of the VW team that worked on the project was replace by new management.

Vehicles
      85 scirocco
      08-24-2007 05:15 AM #119
      that green drawing is the cross golf

not good but GREAT

one must have faith, and on the 18 day VW created Rocco

15. 08-24-2007 12:49 PM #120
      Quote, originally posted by vdubdr »
      that green drawing is the cross golf

not good but GREAT
      one must have faith, and on the 18 day VW created Rocco

Your article is one year old.
      The enthusiasts in Germany are now Protesting!

I agree that the green drawing looks like a Golf. Unfortunately the green drawing has the same proportions as the Scirocco test car and is very similar to every official press release from VW. The drawing illustrates the inappropriate shape and VWs departure from a real coupe. The enthusiasts that went to see VW last year are frustrated. VW has restructured in the year between the two times that the enthusiasts went. Now forum polls and letters of dissatisfaction are being sent by some of the Germans.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      09-10-2007 08:57 AM #121
      So are we going to get the Scirocco in the US after all? It seems like VW cannot make up their minds. There is a new video out of one being tested here in Death Valley. They were testing a Mk VI Golf/Rabbit as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dEbn0Fw1c00

09-11-2007 02:23 PM #122
      Quote, originally posted by TWinbrook46636 »
      So are we going to get the Scirocco in the US after all? It seems like VW cannot make up their minds. There is a new video out of one being tested here in Death Valley. They were testing a Mk VI Golf/Rabbit as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dEbn0Fw1c00

I can't help thinking how much that video just makes it look like a Golf/GTI.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      09-12-2007 08:55 AM #123
      Quote, originally posted by TWinbrook46636 »

Lots of cars are tested here that are not released here. Death Valley is just a great place to hot weather test, and is remote, yet still close enough to populous areas to ensure they don't get lost and die in Africa

A2Resource

19. 09-19-2007 03:32 AM #124
      It is looking like the US will be stuck with the IROC. VW never built the Scirocco in the past, Karmann did. Now that VW is going to build a car that they call Scirocco they can't even get the roof line even close. What a kick in the head to GG and all the great folks at Karmann who worked so hard to GIVE VW a sports car. Too bad Karmann did not have the trademark on the Scirocco name. VW just destroyed the name. Now Scirocco will be associated with the CIVIC shape.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      09-19-2007 08:49 PM #125
      It is looking like the US will be stuck with the IROC. VW never built the Scirocco in the past, Karmann did. Now that VW is going to build a car that they call Scirocco they can't even get the roof line even close. What a kick in the head to GG and all the great folks at Karmann who worked so hard to GIVE VW a sports car. Too bad Karmann did not have the trademark on the Scirocco name. VW just destroyed the name. Now Scirocco will be associated with the CIVIC shape.

I'm not sure about the Rocco, but I know for a fact that VW designed the Corrado (a fellow by the name of Schaeffer if I recall correctly). Karmann is merely the production facility. I know I am going to butcher the name, but didn't Guigaro design at least one of the rocco's?

How do you know that the IROC won't be assembled in the Karmann factory? How do you know that we are getting the IROC? I haven't seen any official VWoA releases on this car, just speculation from a couple of car mags.

21. 09-20-2007 08:07 PM #126
      Quote, originally posted by 6cylVWguy »
      How do you know that the IROC won't be assembled in the Karmann factory? How do you know that we are getting the IROC? I haven't seen any official VWoA releases on this car, just speculation from a couple of car mags.

Unless Karmann owns the factory in Portugal (they don't) they aren't building the IROC. Its been stated several times that the Scirocco will be built along side the EOS.

I'd rather the car comes here than not, because it is more choices for the VW enthusiast, but VWoA can't futz this one up, they are already threatening to do so with the Tiguan (rumored that we won't get AWD and manual in the same vehicle in the U.S. )

22. 09-21-2007 02:48 AM #127
      Quote, originally posted by 6cylVWguy »

I'm not sure about the Rocco, but I know for a fact that VW designed the Corrado (a fellow by the name of Schaeffer if I recall correctly). Karmann is merely the production facility. I know I am going to butcher the name, but didn't Guigaro design at least one of the rocco's?

You are close but you don't have the facts 100% correct. Giurgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign did the MK1 concept model but Karmann designed the chassis, the construction and the tooling. The folks at Karmann were very involved with the design of the Corrado and both Sciroccos. Herb Schaeffer was the one who managed VW Design on the MK2 and Corrado projects but many people like Willi Schwebe at Karmann designed large parts of the three cars.

As you learn more about the 53 you find that VW had less and less to do with them. In Europe it is common to remove the VW badges from 53s because 53's are not considered to be VWs. Go to VW in Wolfsburg and try to find a Scirocco book, toy or car. You will not find many.

I think that we will get the IROC because VW will not sell the required number of units to justify the production without the US market. IROC will not be built at Karmann so don't get confused. VW will be selling this thing to any one who will pay JUST to improve the bottom line at VW. The big question is, will the IROC cost more for VW to import than the sales? The overhead to have a car in the US is high. You have to train staff and stock the parts in addition to the product. If sales are as poor as expected it will not work. The new staff at VW has to turn the profits to keep jobs. So I am sure that folks are trying everything to make the numbers.

Note the changes for clarity.

Modified by vw53a at 7:41 AM 9-22-2007

Vehicles
      GTI 337,`92 Corrado SLC
      09-21-2007 11:26 AM #128
      The original Golf,Rabbit in the US,and the Scirocco 1,were both designed by Giurgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign.
      The Scirocco 2 and the Corrado were designed by VW.

Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      10-23-2007 01:16 PM #129
      And the Iroc design was a joint effort between Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder.
      To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

10-24-2007 09:25 PM #130
      Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK »
      And the Iroc design was a joint effort between Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder.

ba-dum-pssh

but i agree!

Vehicles
      GTI 337,`92 Corrado SLC
      10-26-2007 11:44 PM #131
      I`ll hold off judgement until I see it in person,if it ever comes here.

27. 11-04-2007 09:58 AM #132
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Hahns »

NOW THAT IS SEXY
      To bad its a Photoshop

28. 11-06-2007 01:23 PM #133
      The car posted above looks huge and heavy, but does indeed look nice.

29. 11-12-2007 04:07 PM #134
      Umm... it's really too bad the "layman" USA driver is such a dingus that modern cars have to be built in such a way that the vehicle all but drives itself for him so he can talk on his damned Cell phone on his way to his stuipd office job. Tire pressure monitoring, traction control, airbags, DSG transmissions, complicated emissions control syatems and engine management. God dammit!!! then add all the stupid "cushy" stuff in a modern Car and you get a vehicle that weighs HUNDREDS of pounds too much and takes a friggin' PHD to work on. I say the nicest looking VWs hands down were the later model Mk II 16v Golf GTi, The Corrado (of course) the Mk II 16v scirroco,
      the Mark III Jetta. You can keep the rest of them. the Corrado still has a very "modern" look to it. VW would have been smart to simply refine the lines of that wonderful looking car just a little, make it AWD, package it with a couple engine options. (something mild, like the new 2.5L I5 and something WILD... Like how about a FI W8 with sport suspension tuned to the slight weight increase of the heavy engine)
      then there should be 4 levels of interior trim. like the GL (econo package but still nice) The GLS (a step up, but adds a few pounds) the GLX (another step up, and even more porky) these 3 would be for the scoccer mom, 9-5er daily grocery getter packages... the 4th trim package would be for DRIVERS. people that like to get into a car and make it do thier will. this 4th package would be spartan, bare bones and basic, nice, but in a very functionaly elegant way. Think of the interior of a lotus elise on a budget. and no Back seat... AND NO EFFIN" CUPHOLDERS!!! this "4th package" might even be adapted to all of the VW models as an option. think... updated corrado, big Hp, AWD, spartan interior, how much fun would that be?! I want an affordable German designed and built Evo, WRX, and Mustang/Camaro KILLER. somthing that "upsets the rice bowl" and makes the American Muscle car owners cry when they see it pull up along side at a stoplight and rev the engine. I want ricers to be scared ****less of it and run to thier mommies when they see one of these things comming...

Modified by JEsse Johnston at 12:13 PM 11-12-2007

Vehicles
      01 VR6(SOLD), 07 MK5(SOLD), 03 MCS(SOLD), 98 E36(SOLD)
      11-13-2007 04:53 AM #135
      Quote, originally posted by JEsse Johnston »
      VW would have been smart to simply refine the lines of that wonderful looking car just a little, make it AWD, package it with a couple engine options. (something mild, like the new 2.5L I5 and something WILD... Like how about a FI W8 with sport suspension tuned to the slight weight increase of the heavy engine)
      then there should be 4 levels of interior trim. like the GL (econo package but still nice) The GLS (a step up, but adds a few pounds) the GLX (another step up, and even more porky) these 3 would be for the scoccer mom, 9-5er daily grocery getter packages... the 4th trim package would be for DRIVERS. people that like to get into a car and make it do thier will. this 4th package would be spartan, bare bones and basic, nice, but in a very functionaly elegant way. Think of the interior of a lotus elise on a budget. and no Back seat... AND NO EFFIN" CUPHOLDERS!!! this "4th package" might even be adapted to all of the VW models as an option. think... updated corrado, big Hp, AWD, spartan interior, how much fun would that be?! I want an affordable German designed and built Evo, WRX, and Mustang/Camaro KILLER. somthing that "upsets the rice bowl" and makes the American Muscle car owners cry when they see it pull up along side at a stoplight and rev the engine. I want ricers to be scared ****less of it and run to thier mommies when they see one of these things comming...

Wow, just Wow... there are some kinks I would say to work out, but for the most part, VW should do this.

Basically to sum it up, VW NEEDS a modern sports car killer. Im tired of VW not having anything that can compete with these cars on a STOCK level, sure you can make a VW fast, but if it came with 300+hp, AWD, and a lower weight STOCK everyone on here would own one and it would be f'n awesome

Need a car shipped across the State? Country? PM me for details...

P&K Transport LLC

31. 11-13-2007 02:48 PM #136
      You do realize that even though we complain quite a bit about the state of VW's performance line that a large proportion of Tuner and modder types that "improve" thier cars with look mods instead of true performance mods - with big wheels, streched tires
      huge subwoofer/amp systems, incredibly low ride highths, badgeless grilles, "smoke" headlights - etc. I can imagine some German designer in some office in Germany tearing at his hair screaming- Ach! NIEN!! NEIN!!! if the majority of VW enthusiasts don't really care about true performance then why should the designers? so they build a car for the soccer moms and the comuters that looks kinda cool so that a "tuner" can buy one and "improve" it by droping it 3" putting chrome 18" wheels on it with tires that don't really fit. adding 200# of electronics, amps/DVD/subwoofer/. a performance chip and a cold air intake and call it "improved."
      I don't want that... I want somthing that goes back to the "roots" of watercooled VWs (how many of the newest generation VDubbers have even driven a showroom stock 70/80's GTi?) light weight, respectible Hp, and incredible handling. Back in the late 70's early 80's car companies started getting things right in the affordable market: the excellent datsun 510 (a "poor mans" BMW 2002) the Golf GTi (it had no more expensive analog - it was a totaly new concept) the Datsun "Z" (the 98% of the performane of a porshe at 50% the price)
      the list goes on. What happened to the hot affordable performance car? simple - the american driver started to focus on the look and plushness of the more expensive cars and wanted that in favor of performance. you can only have one in an affordable car - performance or Bling, to keep it affordable one must be sacrificed for the other. otherwise you end up with the modern MkV generation VW Overweight, overdressed and because of this - underpowered. In reality - the new MKV cars would be pretty slick if they could lose a couple of hundred pounds.
      200hp stock in a reasonable weight chassis is nothing to sneeze at.
      But what do I know? My Golf is still showroom stock and I like it just fine (Because it's a grocery getter) Some day (soon I hope) I'll get around to buying an extra VW for a toy like I used to have and do it my way. (and It won't be a Mk4 or Mk5)

32. 11-15-2007 08:22 PM #137
      Has any one heard if and when we might be seeing a production model. There just seems to be next to no news on this car except some leaked spy shots.

I am hopping we get to see these in NA.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi A3 2.0TQ
      11-18-2007 09:13 PM #138
      my understanding is that VW will be showing the production version at the Geneva Auto Sgow in Spring 2008

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI DSG & 2002 Golf 2.0
      11-20-2007 02:39 PM #139
      It's not coming to our shores.. http://www.caranddriver.com/au....html

35. 11-21-2007 07:45 AM #140
      Quote, originally posted by GolfGuy2003 »
      It's not coming to our shores.. http://www.caranddriver.com/au....html

F*ck you VW!!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast