Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Current News on the "New" Scirocco (Feb.06.2007)

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco, 78 bus, 91 Vanagon
      04-03-2007 08:53 PM #36
      the more I look at this, the more I want one.
      that is a DAMN FINE LOOKING CAR.

I dont care if the call it a scirocco, a corado, iroc. whateve.r they could call it at "PINTO" and I would still want one. Mark my words, Im going to get a second job so I can save my pennies and mail one of these over from wherever the hell they sell em.

www.rikerstardresser.com - I'm a donor, are you? - www.marrow.org

2. 04-06-2007 08:49 AM #37
      if they do not bring it over here. they should atleast let us start production of the other scirocco here in the US, like the scirocco cabriolet.

3. 04-10-2007 01:06 AM #38

Sweet, looks lot better in blue than kermit the frog green.

Still think it looks like a stepped on GTI rather than a successor to the Scirocco and Corrado though. It will really be a shame if VW can't get this (a small sleek coupe) done.

4. 04-10-2007 12:51 PM #39
      KINDA LOOKS LIKE A FASTBACK gti
      Total hotness. The blue really looks 25x better than the green..agreed.
      Yeah I will be driving one of those..ship it over if need be..Damn a DUB like that would sell like hotcakes in the US Me thinks..

Modified by Fugitiv at 8:53 AM 4-10-2007

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      04-16-2007 04:47 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by 6cylVWguy »
      This is good news.

There are so many unanswered questions though. I am very much interested in what this vehicle looks like. If it's like a squished rabbit instead of having it's own unique lines, I'm not sure I would be a fan.

However, if VW can pull this off correctly, this is likely to be the only VW I would consider buying in the future. Though judging by how recent VWs are priced and equipped, features on this car are going to be crucial. If they basically do the opposite to what the USDM mkV R32 is going to be like, they could have a winner.

Just some harmless fantasy, but I would love to see new rocco that harkens back to design cues of either the mkI rocco or Corrado, equipped with a 240hp 2.0t. Have a package 0 car equipped identically to a package 0 GTI, though allow for AWD to be a standalone option. If I could get a package 0, 240hp, traditional 6 speed manual, and AWD for 26-27k, I will own one. Assuming of course, it's available in the US when the lease of my GTI is up. This would be the ideal situation IMO.

I couldn't agree more....from what I've seen...I won't buy it...even though I'm dead smack in their market demographic center.I wan't a NEW SCIROCCO NOT a Shrunken GOLF/MINIVAN.

The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

Vehicles
      04-16-2007 08:43 PM #41
      Jamie...Let me translate the specs above to real- world numbers. compared to my mark-one Scirocco.....so it's going to be approx....

1250 LBS HEAVIER (at least!)
      6 inches TALLER or the height of a MK2 JETTA
      6-10 inches LONGER
      With a hatch appx half the size
      and a price 2/3rds of an Audi TT (2007)

Sorry! that's no Scirocco...it's the FREAKIN! UPS TRUCK!

My 78 is....1700 lbs wet.
      51 inches tall
      149.5 long (sans bumpers) or 155 with.
      48 " hatch width or one Complete LAZY-BOY arm chair with the hatch closed...

Why does VW do this? It's a cross-over VAN!

7. 04-21-2007 09:36 PM #42
      why do they do it? lots of reasons. we want more 'content', safety - no 30 year old car could hope to survive a current crash test... sorry, things move on. Think of how much more chassis rigidity your tt (third gen scirocco) has vs the 78.

I would still prefer a swoopy fast back hatch that was small over the stepped on gti. I have a gti and it does not look as good as my corrado... the corrado wants a baby brother, but doesnt want the tt

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2004 Golf GTI 1.8T
      04-23-2007 10:16 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by jamie@vwvortex »
      There are currently *no* plans to offer this *new* Scirocco in the U.S. market. That *might* change with Winterkorn coming on board at VWAG, but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

Surely Winterkorn wouldn't push it on the US when Hallmark says "We don't want it."

9. 04-24-2007 12:42 AM #44
      vw is a rudderless ship

concept r - dead
      swoopy coupe (aka iroc = stepped on gti) - dead

we dont want them... we have too many things that have a back that opens... we want the rav4 thing.... america doesnt want a small car (polo).....

give us more over weight, over-sized, and over proportioned vehicles, yes that is what the fat americans want...

10. 04-24-2007 12:20 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by MonoSki »
      vw is a rudderless ship

concept r - dead
      swoopy coupe (aka iroc = stepped on gti) - dead

we dont want them... we have too many things that have a back that opens... we want the rav4 thing.... america doesnt want a small car (polo).....

give us more over weight, over-sized, and over proportioned vehicles, yes that is what the fat americans want...

VW is just not the ship for you! VW's ship has a rudder. It is pointed at TOYOTA (and VW may sink). VW wants more of the average customer's money.

What about all the other cars that you can't get from Europe (MG, Fiat, Alpha, Citron, Scoda)? Do you think that the US would buy them? The US is into TRUCKs now. When gas gets to $40 per gal small cars will be more interesting to the US but only if city's have no parking (like EUROPE and Japan).

11. 04-24-2007 02:25 PM #46
      perhaps not. though we do have 4 of them... 2 current and 2 older models. rudderless ship stands, though it might also have too many rudders depending on how you look at it.

unfortunately vw seems like a brand that is trying to decide what it wants to be.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      04-24-2007 02:42 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by MonoSki »
      unfortunately vw seems like a brand that is trying to decide what it wants to be.

I think this is spot on. And is frankly pathetic from a company that's been around as long as VW. The problem is management and communication. Though to be honest, it seems VW has always had a bizarre grouping of management. If I recall correctly, I beleive for a short period after WWII GI's were running the company just to push out product and get some revenue. I believe that was from a VW book I read.

Really, given the likely disorganization within the company it's a damn miracle the mkV gti turned out as nice as it did!

13. 04-26-2007 10:48 PM #48
      I think the concept Iroc looks like the Civic from the 90's The red one looks awesome. I probably would changed the front a bit . VW was always weak in this aera. It is high time to change the massive VW logo with something more appealing.

Vehicles
      2005 new jetta
      05-02-2007 09:35 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by kr964 »
      I think it'll look more like this :

it look more like a corrado than scirocco

15. 05-03-2007 11:52 AM #50
      Wow. That ^^^^^ looks amazing. I would trade my mkv gti in for that in a heart beat. It's GTI meets R8.

16. 05-03-2007 02:28 PM #51
      If it looks like the Corrado, then it looks like the Scirocco, given the Corrado was really the Scirocco II and some euro Corrado models even have Scirocco emblems (?)

Just as the new Mustang, Bettle, Mini, etc., make the originals look and seem way better, this will be the case with the new Scirocco.

One thing I really like about my Scirocco is that I can start it in neutral without putting the clutch in. And I can put my cat back on within a few minutes if necessary. Won't be able to do either of those with the new model.

17. 05-05-2007 12:57 PM #52
      Quote, originally posted by classicvw »
      To make it perform like a true IROC and like the Scirocco and Corrado could have, they need to drop in the 350 hp V8. Then, offer 4Motion, and true dual exhaust, could you imagine, all that power in such a small frame and 324 ft lbs torque?!?! That would be one fun ride and still NA, just think of all the upgrades a person could do. Oh, and don't forget the F1 style Tiptronic shifting. OOOHHH, that could mean an eight speed tranny?...... Thoughts

Nothing is like a old fasioned stick shift.

18. 05-13-2007 08:34 PM #53
      That is some good news, I really do hope it comes out in the U.S.. If they really are making it in Portugal that would be awesome. I go to Portugal all the time; I'm actually going in September maybe I'll go check it out. I'll get some pictures and maybe when I get back I'll post them. Get back at me if you'd like.

19. 05-14-2007 09:29 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by jerseyrado »
      That is some good news, I really do hope it comes out in the U.S.. If they really are making it in Portugal that would be awesome. I go to Portugal all the time; I'm actually going in September maybe I'll go check it out. I'll get some pictures and maybe when I get back I'll post them. Get back at me if you'd like.

very interesting post

05-15-2007 11:59 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by JonnyPhenomenon »
      the more I look at this, the more I want one.
      that is a DAMN FINE LOOKING CAR.

I dont care if the call it a scirocco, a corado, iroc. whateve.r they could call it at "PINTO" and I would still want one. Mark my words, Im going to get a second job so I can save my pennies and mail one of these over from wherever the hell they sell em.

for a fellow Maine dubber!

Vehicles
      nothing but Mk1's '80,2-'81's, 2000 :O)
      05-16-2007 01:59 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by L.Williams »
      Played around with photoshop, what you think of these colors?

[

I really like this color!! Who cares if it arrives in the USA a couple years late ....let the Euro's get all the bugs worked out and then it will be ready for the USA!

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-19-2007 05:02 AM #57
      Quote, originally posted by tomh009 »

Surely Winterkorn wouldn't push it on the US when Hallmark says "We don't want it."

Why not?

Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      05-21-2007 11:19 AM #58
      I don't care WHAT color it is..it's an ugly pos AND it doesn't have ONE SHRED of Scirocco DNA.

Why doesn't VWoA want this car?...because maybe there is some taste here in America...what we don't want is a warmed over Golf by another name....

Question: To those on this forum who actually like this crossover/Minivan...have you ever driven and or even seen a Real Scirocco????

Let this pos die a natural death already!

Vehicles
      05-21-2007 11:36 AM #59
      History lesson for VWOA;

Remember the 'begats' in the bible?

Karmann Ghia (sportscar) begat Scirocco MK1 (sportscar/hatch), which begat the Mk2 (last Scirocco/sportscar/hatch) which begat the Corrado (sportscar/hatch), which begat the TT (sportscar/hatch).....
      which begat....a shrunken minivan/crossover/tranformer/gobot??????

Wake up VW!

25. 05-21-2007 01:19 PM #60
      the corrado begat the TT?

im not so sure i agree with that jump.

Vehicles
      05-21-2007 01:46 PM #61
      Mark 1 chassis=Scirocco 1
      Mark 1.5 chassis Scirocco 2
      Mark 2 chassis= Corrado
      Mark 3 chassis= None....lost in the woods somewhere. LOL
      Mark 4 chassis= TT
      Mark 5 chassis.........nothing yet, worth looking at.
      all are sporty hatchbacks

none are ugly gobot minivans!

That's my logic and I'm sticking with it!

05-22-2007 11:47 AM #62
      Quote, originally posted by sciroccohal »
      Question: To those on this forum who actually like this crossover/Minivan...have you ever driven and or even seen a Real Scirocco????

I owned an '87 16V Scirocco for four years and loved it. Of course, you drive an '81 and a '78, so by your standards my '87 might not have even been a "real" Scirocco...

There are things I don't like about this concept, mainly it's not a coupe or fastback and the interior is fugly beyond belief. But I would be first in line to at least test drive a VW-badged TT-style coupe. The MkV Golf/GTI is ugly IMHO (except from the ass end or with a decent body kit & drop) and it REALLY looks like a mini-van (esp with 4 doors).

I'd say that the IROC concept is probably surprisingly more diminutive in person.

Edit: 500th post FTW!

Modified by nachtmusik at 7:49 AM 5-22-2007

28. 05-22-2007 02:39 PM #63
      It is pretty obvious the "best" Scirocco is the '86.5 - '93 16V with a 2L or a 1.8T engine under the hood. In 1989 in Vancouver at Clarkedale Motors the 16V had a sticker price of $28k!!! The new car will likely be over $40k. I've never paid more than $12k for any car and I've been driving for 23 years.

Vehicles
      2001 Passat TDI
      06-13-2007 01:46 PM #64
      I still prefer the olds..

30. 06-15-2007 07:47 PM #65
      History lesson for VWOA;

Remember the 'begats' in the bible?

Karmann Ghia (sportscar) begat Scirocco MK1 (sportscar/hatch),
      which begat the Mk2 (last Scirocco/sportscar/hatch)
      which begat the Corrado (sportscar/hatch),
      which begat the TT (sportscar/hatch).....
      which begat....a shrunken minivan/crossover/tranformer/gobot??????

Wake up VW!

If thats the Geneology maybe you all shoud be pushing for this to bring things back full circle...

31. 06-16-2007 02:49 PM #66
      All i know is that if and when it get NA approval more importantly Canada approval I will be putting money away for it. This will probably be the closest thing from vw to a new corrado/sirocco that i will see before i am an old man. By that time i will be moved on to audi witch might happen soon then later if we dont get the Iroc fingers crossed.

Vehicles
      1980 Scirocco / 2004 R32
      06-16-2007 03:44 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by gizmopop »
      If thats the Geneology maybe you all shoud be pushing for this to bring things back full circle...

We did get it, though (albeit in a watered-down form)...it's called the Eos.

Mike

<insert signature here>

33. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      06-18-2007 09:09 PM #68
      Jamie...Let me translate the specs above to real- world numbers. compared to my mark-one Scirocco.....so it's going to be approx....

1250 LBS HEAVIER (at least!)
      6 inches TALLER or the height of a MK2 JETTA
      6-10 inches LONGER
      With a hatch appx half the size
      and a price 2/3rds of an Audi TT (2007)

Sorry! that's no Scirocco...it's the FREAKIN! UPS TRUCK!

My 78 is....1700 lbs wet.
      51 inches tall
      149.5 long (sans bumpers) or 155 with.
      48 " hatch width or one Complete LAZY-BOY arm chair with the hatch closed...

Why does VW do this? It's a cross-over VAN!

Then you might as well start buying up old Scirocco's at this point since virtually nothing on the market is "lightweight" any more. A MINI Cooper S weighs 2,700 lbs and a 350Z "Track Edition" is 3,500. Hell a Porsche 911 weighs 3,100 lbs...

With all the safety equipment, customer expectations for standard equipment and structural rigidity (i.e. quality feel) and that platforms just keep getting bigger and bigger there is no getting around the weight issue. Either you strip it down in lightweight club sport style (which doesn't sell particularly well - ask BMW about their E36 "lightweight" edition), use more expensive lightweight materials or move to a smaller platform altogether. Much as I'd like to see it happen, the market reality means that I need to save my pennies for a Lotus Elise if I really want a lightweight sports car. Yes, somewhere in the middle would be nice, but my idea of a true lightweight car is less than 2,500 lbs.

As for more updates...

Rumors we are now hearing say that Winterkorn has orderd a redesign of the Scirocco and the new version has a more Scirocco/Corrado-typical sloping rear hatch and a completely different front end. Whether it comes here to this market or not remains to be seen as there are still some things in the air regarding the upcoming Golf VI and how that car will impact our Rabbit and GTI models sold here.

-jamie

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2010MY Volkswagen Golf Wagen TDI Comfortline 6MT
      06-19-2007 10:44 AM #69
      Quote, originally posted by jamie@vwvortex »

As for more updates...

Rumors we are now hearing say that Winterkorn has orderd a redesign of the Scirocco and the new version has a more Scirocco/Corrado-typical sloping rear hatch and a completely different front end. Whether it comes here to this market or not remains to be seen as there are still some things in the air regarding the upcoming Golf VI and how that car will impact our Rabbit and GTI models sold here.

-jamie

for the sloping sporty rear hatch!

I also post on BDFD.com

Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      06-19-2007 02:43 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by sirAQUAMAN64 »

for the sloping sporty rear hatch!

Amen to that. There is hope after all.

Modified by Dr Dub UK at 6:45 PM 6-19-2007

To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast