Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Current News on the "New" Scirocco (Feb.06.2007)

1. 05-03-2007 01:28 PM #51
      If it looks like the Corrado, then it looks like the Scirocco, given the Corrado was really the Scirocco II and some euro Corrado models even have Scirocco emblems (?)
      Just as the new Mustang, Bettle, Mini, etc., make the originals look and seem way better, this will be the case with the new Scirocco.
      One thing I really like about my Scirocco is that I can start it in neutral without putting the clutch in. And I can put my cat back on within a few minutes if necessary. Won't be able to do either of those with the new model.

2. 05-05-2007 11:57 AM #52
      Quote, originally posted by classicvw »
      To make it perform like a true IROC and like the Scirocco and Corrado could have, they need to drop in the 350 hp V8. Then, offer 4Motion, and true dual exhaust, could you imagine, all that power in such a small frame and 324 ft lbs torque?!?! That would be one fun ride and still NA, just think of all the upgrades a person could do. Oh, and don't forget the F1 style Tiptronic shifting. OOOHHH, that could mean an eight speed tranny?...... Thoughts

Nothing is like a old fasioned stick shift.

3. 05-13-2007 07:34 PM #53
      That is some good news, I really do hope it comes out in the U.S.. If they really are making it in Portugal that would be awesome. I go to Portugal all the time; I'm actually going in September maybe I'll go check it out. I'll get some pictures and maybe when I get back I'll post them. Get back at me if you'd like.

4. 05-14-2007 08:29 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by jerseyrado »
      That is some good news, I really do hope it comes out in the U.S.. If they really are making it in Portugal that would be awesome. I go to Portugal all the time; I'm actually going in September maybe I'll go check it out. I'll get some pictures and maybe when I get back I'll post them. Get back at me if you'd like.

very interesting post

Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2014 Jetta, 2004 R32
      05-15-2007 10:59 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by JonnyPhenomenon »
      the more I look at this, the more I want one.
      that is a DAMN FINE LOOKING CAR.
      I dont care if the call it a scirocco, a corado, iroc. whateve.r they could call it at "PINTO" and I would still want one. Mark my words, Im going to get a second job so I can save my pennies and mail one of these over from wherever the hell they sell em.

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] for a fellow Maine dubber!

Vehicles
      nothing but Mk1's '80,2-'81's, 2000 :O)
      05-16-2007 12:59 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by L.Williams »
      Played around with photoshop, what you think of these colors?
      [

I really like this color!! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Who cares if it arrives in the USA a couple years late ....let the Euro's get all the bugs worked out and then it will be ready for the USA!

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      05-19-2007 04:02 AM #57
      Quote, originally posted by tomh009 »
      Surely Winterkorn wouldn't push it on the US when Hallmark says "We don't want it."

Why not?
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      05-21-2007 10:19 AM #58
      I don't care WHAT color it is..it's an ugly pos AND it doesn't have ONE SHRED of Scirocco DNA.

Why doesn't VWoA want this car?...because maybe there is some taste here in America...what we don't want is a warmed over Golf by another name....

Question: To those on this forum who actually like this crossover/Minivan...have you ever driven and or even seen a Real Scirocco????
      Let this pos die a natural death already!
      The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

Vehicles
      05-21-2007 10:36 AM #59
      History lesson for VWOA;
      Remember the 'begats' in the bible?
      Karmann Ghia (sportscar) begat Scirocco MK1 (sportscar/hatch), which begat the Mk2 (last Scirocco/sportscar/hatch) which begat the Corrado (sportscar/hatch), which begat the TT (sportscar/hatch).....
      which begat....a shrunken minivan/crossover/tranformer/gobot??????
      Wake up VW!

10. 05-21-2007 12:19 PM #60
      the corrado begat the TT?
      im not so sure i agree with that jump.

Vehicles
      05-21-2007 12:46 PM #61
      Mark 1 chassis=Scirocco 1
      Mark 1.5 chassis Scirocco 2
      Mark 2 chassis= Corrado
      Mark 3 chassis= None....lost in the woods somewhere. LOL
      Mark 4 chassis= TT
      Mark 5 chassis.........nothing yet, worth looking at.
      all are sporty hatchbacks
      none are ugly gobot minivans!
      That's my logic and I'm sticking with it!

Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2014 Jetta, 2004 R32
      05-22-2007 10:47 AM #62
      Quote, originally posted by sciroccohal »
      Question: To those on this forum who actually like this crossover/Minivan...have you ever driven and or even seen a Real Scirocco????

I owned an '87 16V Scirocco for four years and loved it. Of course, you drive an '81 and a '78, so by your standards my '87 might not have even been a "real" Scirocco...
      There are things I don't like about this concept, mainly it's not a coupe or fastback and the interior is fugly beyond belief. But I would be first in line to at least test drive a VW-badged TT-style coupe. The MkV Golf/GTI is ugly IMHO (except from the ass end or with a decent body kit & drop) and it REALLY looks like a mini-van (esp with 4 doors).
      I'd say that the IROC concept is probably surprisingly more diminutive in person.
      Edit: 500th post FTW!

Modified by nachtmusik at 7:49 AM 5-22-2007

13. 05-22-2007 01:39 PM #63
      It is pretty obvious the "best" Scirocco is the '86.5 - '93 16V with a 2L or a 1.8T engine under the hood. In 1989 in Vancouver at Clarkedale Motors the 16V had a sticker price of $28k!!! The new car will likely be over $40k. I've never paid more than $12k for any car and I've been driving for 23 years.

Vehicles
      2001 Passat TDI
      06-13-2007 12:46 PM #64
      I still prefer the olds..

15. 06-15-2007 06:47 PM #65
      Quote, originally posted by sciroccohal »
      History lesson for VWOA;
      Remember the 'begats' in the bible?
      Karmann Ghia (sportscar) begat Scirocco MK1 (sportscar/hatch),
      which begat the Mk2 (last Scirocco/sportscar/hatch)
      which begat the Corrado (sportscar/hatch),
      which begat the TT (sportscar/hatch).....
      which begat....a shrunken minivan/crossover/tranformer/gobot??????
      Wake up VW!

If thats the Geneology maybe you all shoud be pushing for this to bring things back full circle...

16. 06-16-2007 01:49 PM #66
      All i know is that if and when it get NA approval more importantly Canada approval I will be putting money away for it. This will probably be the closest thing from vw to a new corrado/sirocco that i will see before i am an old man. By that time i will be moved on to audi witch might happen soon then later if we dont get the Iroc fingers crossed.

Vehicles
      1980 Scirocco / 2004 R32
      06-16-2007 02:44 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by gizmopop »
      If thats the Geneology maybe you all shoud be pushing for this to bring things back full circle...

We did get it, though (albeit in a watered-down form)...it's called the Eos.
      Mike
      <insert signature here>

18. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      06-18-2007 08:09 PM #68
      Quote, originally posted by sciroccohal &raquo;
      Jamie...Let me translate the specs above to real- world numbers. compared to my mark-one Scirocco.....so it's going to be approx....

1250 LBS HEAVIER (at least!)
      6 inches TALLER or the height of a MK2 JETTA
      6-10 inches LONGER
      With a hatch appx half the size
      and a price 2/3rds of an Audi TT (2007)
      Sorry! that's no Scirocco...it's the FREAKIN! UPS TRUCK!
      My 78 is....1700 lbs wet.
      51 inches tall
      149.5 long (sans bumpers) or 155 with.
      48 " hatch width or one Complete LAZY-BOY arm chair with the hatch closed...
      Why does VW do this? It's a cross-over VAN!

Then you might as well start buying up old Scirocco's at this point since virtually nothing on the market is "lightweight" any more. A MINI Cooper S weighs 2,700 lbs and a 350Z "Track Edition" is 3,500. Hell a Porsche 911 weighs 3,100 lbs...
      With all the safety equipment, customer expectations for standard equipment and structural rigidity (i.e. quality feel) and that platforms just keep getting bigger and bigger there is no getting around the weight issue. Either you strip it down in lightweight club sport style (which doesn't sell particularly well - ask BMW about their E36 "lightweight" edition), use more expensive lightweight materials or move to a smaller platform altogether. Much as I'd like to see it happen, the market reality means that I need to save my pennies for a Lotus Elise if I really want a lightweight sports car. Yes, somewhere in the middle would be nice, but my idea of a true lightweight car is less than 2,500 lbs.
      As for more updates...
      Rumors we are now hearing say that Winterkorn has orderd a redesign of the Scirocco and the new version has a more Scirocco/Corrado-typical sloping rear hatch and a completely different front end. Whether it comes here to this market or not remains to be seen as there are still some things in the air regarding the upcoming Golf VI and how that car will impact our Rabbit and GTI models sold here.
      -jamie

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2010MY Volkswagen Golf Wagen TDI Comfortline 6MT
      06-19-2007 09:44 AM #69
      Quote, originally posted by jamie@vwvortex &raquo;
      As for more updates...
      Rumors we are now hearing say that Winterkorn has orderd a redesign of the Scirocco and the new version has a more Scirocco/Corrado-typical sloping rear hatch and a completely different front end. Whether it comes here to this market or not remains to be seen as there are still some things in the air regarding the upcoming Golf VI and how that car will impact our Rabbit and GTI models sold here.
      -jamie

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] for the sloping sporty rear hatch!
      I also post on BDFD.com

Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      06-19-2007 01:43 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by sirAQUAMAN64 &raquo;
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] for the sloping sporty rear hatch!

Amen to that. There is hope after all.

Modified by Dr Dub UK at 6:45 PM 6-19-2007
      To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

21. 06-20-2007 11:48 AM #71
      Quote, originally posted by sirAQUAMAN64 &raquo;
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] for the sloping sporty rear hatch!.

Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK &raquo;
      Amen to that. There is hope after all.

Did VW Wake up and put a sloping sporty rear hatch on the IROC?
      The latest news I have is that the front end has been redesigned to meet the EU pedestrian collision standard. In July the latest prototype/production model will be shown in Wolfsburg to a selected group. Most reports say that only the front has been restyled. Production dates and details will be provided at the July presentation?
      As far as the US market goes the GTI will be big push in 2008. EOS is moving slow. I don't see how IROC will make it to the US in year one of production.

22. 06-23-2007 03:09 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by mec_vw &raquo;
      We did get it, though (albeit in a watered-down form)...it's called the Eos.
      Mike

No. We didn't get it. Concept R and Concept C were 2 different cars. The Concept C (Eos) was a 4 seat fwd Hardtop convertible from the get go.
      Competition to this car:
      BMW 3 convertible
      Volvo C70
      Saab 9-3 Aero
      Audi A4
      Pontiac G6
      etc...4 seaters
      Concept R was a mid engine RWD ragtop 2 seat convertible with an emphasis on low weight and performance.
      Competition:
      BMW Z4
      Audi TT
      Pontiac Solstice
      Saturn Sky
      Mazda Miata
      Honda S2000
      Nissan 350z vert
      etc... 2 seaters

2 different categories of car. Both could have (and still can) co-existed in the line up if VW was creative about it. A base version could have come in around Miata money with a 2.0T powering it, while a higher end version powered by a 3.2 VR6 could have place beyond S2000 $$. R&D costs could have been shared between VW, Audi, Seat and perhaps one of their other makes...(rumor of an "entry" level Bugatti or Bentley could have shared this platform with lesser Audi and VW versions)
      Heck now that Porsche owns a majority of VW, they can even use the original Boxster chassis now that it is on its second gen.

23. 06-25-2007 11:50 PM #73
      VW Build this and call it a Scirocco

Vehicles
      2003 1.8T GTI, 2001 BMW M3
      06-27-2007 09:42 PM #74
      too bad we are not getting this car! I was so looking forward to this but if you read the current car and driver they have reported that VWOA said they are not going to bring it state side because they have enough intrest in the GTI already [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] I say thats a poor excuse.

25. 06-27-2007 09:52 PM #75
      The MK 5's are ugly IMO. i can't seem to shake the corolla looking Jetta and the GTI rear is just butt

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast