Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Current News on the "New" Scirocco (Feb.06.2007)

1. 06-20-2007 11:48 AM #71
      Quote, originally posted by sirAQUAMAN64 »
      for the sloping sporty rear hatch!.

Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK »
      Amen to that. There is hope after all.

Did VW Wake up and put a sloping sporty rear hatch on the IROC?

The latest news I have is that the front end has been redesigned to meet the EU pedestrian collision standard. In July the latest prototype/production model will be shown in Wolfsburg to a selected group. Most reports say that only the front has been restyled. Production dates and details will be provided at the July presentation?

As far as the US market goes the GTI will be big push in 2008. EOS is moving slow. I don't see how IROC will make it to the US in year one of production.

2. 06-23-2007 03:09 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by mec_vw »

We did get it, though (albeit in a watered-down form)...it's called the Eos.

Mike

No. We didn't get it. Concept R and Concept C were 2 different cars. The Concept C (Eos) was a 4 seat fwd Hardtop convertible from the get go.
      Competition to this car:
      BMW 3 convertible
      Volvo C70
      Saab 9-3 Aero
      Audi A4
      Pontiac G6
      etc...4 seaters

Concept R was a mid engine RWD ragtop 2 seat convertible with an emphasis on low weight and performance.
      Competition:
      BMW Z4
      Audi TT
      Pontiac Solstice
      Saturn Sky
      Mazda Miata
      Honda S2000
      Nissan 350z vert
      etc... 2 seaters

2 different categories of car. Both could have (and still can) co-existed in the line up if VW was creative about it. A base version could have come in around Miata money with a 2.0T powering it, while a higher end version powered by a 3.2 VR6 could have place beyond S2000 $$. R&D costs could have been shared between VW, Audi, Seat and perhaps one of their other makes...(rumor of an "entry" level Bugatti or Bentley could have shared this platform with lesser Audi and VW versions)
      Heck now that Porsche owns a majority of VW, they can even use the original Boxster chassis now that it is on its second gen.

3. 06-25-2007 11:50 PM #73
      VW Build this and call it a Scirocco

Vehicles
      2003 1.8T GTI, 2001 BMW M3
      06-27-2007 09:42 PM #74
      too bad we are not getting this car! I was so looking forward to this but if you read the current car and driver they have reported that VWOA said they are not going to bring it state side because they have enough intrest in the GTI already I say thats a poor excuse.

5. 06-27-2007 09:52 PM #75
      The MK 5's are ugly IMO. i can't seem to shake the corolla looking Jetta and the GTI rear is just butt

6. 06-29-2007 02:26 PM #76
      wow... the green looks good. yummy...

7. 06-30-2007 03:11 AM #77
      Kia's Iroc will be at the Frankfurt show.

This is an early version.

8. 07-02-2007 07:35 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by vw53a »
      Kia's Iroc will be at the Frankfurt show.

This is an early version.

HA!

9. 07-05-2007 06:53 PM #79
      neither of these cars deserve the scirocco name. wtf is the wedge?! i'm tired of all these CRX/GTI/flattend hatchbacks. There are about 9 billion cars (last count) that look exactly the same. The green one looks like a Honda. That should be enough to put everyone off.

edit: im gunna take that back.. ive seen some other pictures and that iroc is fire

Modified by aaron_m at 8:28 PM 7-5-2007

Vehicles
      82' Jetta Diesel
      07-14-2007 06:46 PM #80
      that looks f*cking terrible
      82 Jetta Diesel
      09 Suzuki Vstrom

11. 07-18-2007 01:14 AM #81
      So any one know when we will hear any word on this cause its killing me

Vehicles
      1999/VW/Passat,2004/VW/R32
      07-19-2007 12:48 PM #82
      Drive Safe! Jaime Diaz (a.k.a Wachuko)

'83 911 Schieferblaumetallic SC Coupe / '91 964 C4 Wide-Body Cabriolet
      '81 FIAT Spider
      '12 BMW X5 xDrive35d - yeah, is a diesel and I love it!

13. 07-19-2007 02:38 PM #84
      My husband works for VW and spoke with someone who just returned from VOA in Auburn Hills, MI. He was told that the new Scirocco/IROC/whatever will not be coming out in late 2008 as many of us would have hoped but there is a possibility of that happening in 2010. All the pictures I have seen have been of a prototype and VW wants to wait to put the new Scirocco/IROC/whatever body on a new platform. It's supposed to have a sloping front end that is more Porsche-like.

Modified by kimmike at 7:42 PM 7-19-2007

14. 07-20-2007 02:55 AM #85

WOW that looks just like a sports car! I hope that this is NOT even a VW! Yes I know that it has a mask on the front and rear. It looks like a mini van economy blob.

07-20-2007 01:53 PM #86
      all the spyshots i've seen = very disappointing......

16. 07-20-2007 02:37 PM #87
      Sadly if this dose not come state side my next car will be from another import company.

17. 07-21-2007 12:20 AM #88
      I have seen enough renderings to know that I will be making a purchase if things go as I would like to see them ,, if we do not get these in the US , how difficult is it to import one?

http://www.roccorrado.com

18. 07-21-2007 11:30 AM #89
      Quote, originally posted by roccorrado »
      I have seen enough renderings to know that I will be making a purchase if things go as I would like to see them ,, if we do not get these in the US , how difficult is it to import one?

http://www.roccorrado.com

If you want to wast your money you can import one for about 6K. I think the pig (IROC) will end up in the US so I think you don't have to worry. It just is not a Scirocco. That is the problem with it. It is a GOLF or a KIA.

19. 07-21-2007 11:49 AM #90
      Quote, originally posted by wgriffiths2000 »
      Sadly if this dose not come state side my next car will be from another import company.

Who cares "West Vancouver" person! Obvsiously you don't even have a Scirocco so what's your opnion worth? Jack. So go buy a new car, nobody cares!

20. 07-21-2007 11:29 PM #91
      Quote, originally posted by Colamjam »

Who cares "West Vancouver" person! Obvsiously you don't even have a Scirocco so what's your opnion worth? Jack. So go buy a new car, nobody cares!

Hehe obviously somebody cares. Sorry i do not live in West Vancouver profile just out of date. Umm no i currently do not own a Scirocco but i have owned one along with couple corrados and i am not sure what buying the new Iroc has with owning a Scirocco. I do plan on buying a new car and i hope vwoa cares since i have been a loyal vw owner for a majority of my driving life. To be truthful i probably will not be buying anything new unless vw comes out with something that i want to buy.

Well hopefully we will be hearing something new and exciting in the next few months during one of the big shows.

21. 07-22-2007 11:35 AM #92
      Buy a Scirocco 16V and spend $10k restoring it and you'll be much happier than blowing $50k on some new souless pos. West Van is full of people so full of themeselves I had to call you on it. It pours rain there, no beaches really, and the view sucks, unless you like looking at Lions Gate bridge and Stanley Park! Try West Point Grey where you have awesome beaches, great views of the harbour, mountians and downtown is really only 10 minutes drive!

22. 07-22-2007 11:54 AM #93
      Very true. Iroc would just be a daily for me. I was born and raised in West Van and lets just say it use to be a great place to live.

23. 07-22-2007 01:18 PM #94
      If you personally want to drive a lower faster Golf, I can understand that.

The controversy of the IROC is a question of “if the IROC is worthy of the Scirocco sports coupe name.” The Scirocco was the first VW A1 to be released. Many see the Scirocco as a classic or collector’s car. The form factor is understood as a practical sports coupe. If Porsche redesigned the 911 and gave it 4 doors do you think that Porsche should still call it a 911? I think a 4 door 911 would upset many car enthusiasts. The IROC does not fit the Scirocco formula because the IROC is a box hatch. People purchased the Scirocco because it was a practical sports coupe. The box hatch Golf was available but Scirocco owners did not fit the box hatch image. So you see the Scirocco is supposed separate VW sports car drivers from main stream VW economy box hatch drivers. The IROC fails to do this because the IROC is a box hatch and should be called a GOLF GTI.

Even the Corrado did not fit the Scirocco formula 100% at the time it was released in 1988. The shape of the Corrado is not the point of controversy. The Corrado’s body is more Scirocco like than the MK2 Scirocco. It was the reduction of road noise and many luxury features with an inflated price that set the Corrado apart from the Scirocco. The Corrado was built on the A2 platform and all other Sciroccos were built on the A1 platform. The Corrado’s misfit to the Scirocco formula is due to the jump in price and the additional weight more than the fact that is was built on the A2 platform. The Corrado is a Scirocco in many ways. The IROC is not a Corrado or Scirocco.

24. 07-24-2007 06:59 PM #95
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Hahns »
      Is that suppose to be the Corrado or Scirroco..I know its a Scirroco thread, but I can't make out what is say on the hatch?

Modified by Mr. Hahns at 5:46 PM 3-20-2007

That's the sirroco or corrado I'd buy ... not the Golf on steroids
      It is closer to the one we used to know.

Vehicles
      1999/VW/Passat,2004/VW/R32
      07-24-2007 07:51 PM #96
      Are you positive that is not the Tiguan going testing???
      Drive Safe! Jaime Diaz (a.k.a Wachuko)

'83 911 Schieferblaumetallic SC Coupe / '91 964 C4 Wide-Body Cabriolet
      '81 FIAT Spider
      '12 BMW X5 xDrive35d - yeah, is a diesel and I love it!

26. 07-24-2007 08:50 PM #97
      Quote, originally posted by wachuko »
      Are you positive that is not the Tiguan going testing???

Its not a Tiguan though it dose look kinda big for the Iroc

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco, 78 bus, 91 Vanagon
      07-25-2007 03:00 PM #98

hot damn! look at the similarities between the concept shots and the stealth rocco

hard to tell with all that leather on the car, but it looks pretty damned close.
      of course, I think the concept sketch looks sexier.

www.rikerstardresser.com - I'm a donor, are you? - www.marrow.org

28. 07-27-2007 02:03 PM #99
      I checked out the Automobile magazine website and looked at the 2009 car predictions article.
      http://www.automobilemag.com/n...rocco/
      The writer seems to agree with many people here. Maybe VW is pulling our chain and the green car is the next GTI and the red car will be the next Sciracco.

29. 07-28-2007 09:26 AM #100
      Quote, originally posted by geneking7320 »
      I checked out the Automobile magazine website and looked at the 2009 car predictions article.
      http://www.automobilemag.com/n...rocco/
      The writer seems to agree with many people here. Maybe VW is pulling our chain and the green car is the next GTI and the red car will be the next Sciracco.

The car in the pig skin is the IROC (poorly named tHe nEw scIr0cC0 by VW). I wish it was the new GTI and it is more new GTI than the GTI but VW doesn't know the difference between a hatch back and a coupe. Sad Sad Sad. VW wants us to talk about this car and create a buzz. Look, it is working. We are buzzing like bees but I will not drive one because it is not a REAL Coupe! If it is not a Coupe it is not a SCIROCCO. Call it a truck or a BUS or a FOX if you want. None of those names are correct. The IROC is a GOLF but VW has the SCIROCCO name TM and so they can use it on what it wants to.

30. 08-01-2007 10:21 PM #101
      Quote, originally posted by vw53a »

The car in the pig skin is the IROC (poorly named tHe nEw scIr0cC0 by VW). I wish it was the new GTI and it is more new GTI than the GTI but VW doesn't know the difference between a hatch back and a coupe. Sad Sad Sad. VW wants us to talk about this car and create a buzz. Look, it is working. We are buzzing like bees but I will not drive one because it is not a REAL Coupe! If it is not a Coupe it is not a SCIROCCO. Call it a truck or a BUS or a FOX if you want. None of those names are correct. The IROC is a GOLF but VW has the SCIROCCO name TM and so they can use it on what it wants to.

I second that. Though i have a feeling if it makes it into production at all it will not be under the scirocco brand name or at least hope not. Since vwoa dose not want it to cannibalize there gti sales just call it a GTI and Bobs your uncle.

08-03-2007 11:09 AM #102
      that thing in the camo is f'n ugly. and here i was all excited...

32. 08-03-2007 12:23 PM #103
      Quote, originally posted by nachtmusik »
      that thing in the camo is f'n ugly. and here i was all excited...

It is very sad that VW is sticking the "Sc co" badge on this pig of a car. In flashy green it was an eye-full because the color was distracting from the form. In reality the car looks like a stupid economy minivan with boy racer details (covered by pigskin) like the GTI. This car is NOT a new SCIROCCO even if it has a SCIROCCO badge. The Scirocco was the rebirth of VW in 1974. This new thing marks the death of both the model name and VWs water heritage. When this car hits the show room VW will have many confused economy cars to sell. This one should be the GOLF GTI. Sadly, VW does not understand them self as well as we do. At the same time KIA and many other car companies will be entering this hatch market. I am sure that many inside VW are just marching to orders and have no voice in the politics. If VW wants to save this car CALL IT THE GOLF SPORT GTX! Them start work on a SCIROCCO that is more like the R8.

33. 08-08-2007 08:15 PM #104
      is it the new Piggato?
      Sciroccos forever!
      Get on the list: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/scirocco-l

34. 08-10-2007 08:46 PM #105
      I love how everyone is down on this car. We haven't even seen it(in person) nor have we driven it and we hate it! Too funny.

Anyway, I'm stoked on this car and hope it indeed makes it our way. Last I heard one guy from top brass said it wasn't coming, Winterkorn(who most definitely wears the pants) laid the hammer down and said it is coming. I'll go with Winterkorn.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast