Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Current News on the "New" Scirocco (Feb.06.2007)

1. 11-21-2007 03:04 PM #141
      Quote, originally posted by Stridder44 »

F*ck you VW!!!

I second that motion though i am perfectly happy withe my mk2 gti. Ow so vary disappointing first there was the concept R that never got produced and now there producing a car that they want even sell here and in 15 year i want even be able to import one and get gas for it ow the irony.

2. 11-22-2007 01:21 PM #142
      I am Disappointed that Europe is getting the IROC that looks like a GOLF.
      I am not Disappointed that the US is not getting the IROC that looks like a GOLF.

I still think that it will end up in the US after some years. Perhaps they will fix the tail! At this point VW is so lost!

Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      11-23-2007 12:28 PM #143
      Yeah, any chance that we can stop them coming to the UK? Maybe if I stand at the docks and refuse them entry on grounds that they are bringing down the tone of the country.

The Iroc has been out for a year and 3 months now and I still think it looks awful. I really can't see it ever growing on me.

To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

4. 11-26-2007 10:46 PM #144
      Quote, originally posted by GolfGuy2003 »
      It's not coming to our shores.. http://www.caranddriver.com/au....html

THANK YOU Volkswagen

We have enough junk here (GM products, etc.) we don't need this!

-Raffi

5. 11-29-2007 01:43 AM #145
      Hehe
      Quote, originally posted by EUROROC »

THANK YOU Volkswagen

We have enough junk here (GM products, etc.) we don't need this!

-Raffi

I have to tell you i would perfer to get my hands on this car then most domestics any day but then i am a vw .

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      12-20-2007 05:11 PM #146

This is much better looking.

7. 12-21-2007 12:51 PM #147
      In what way???

Do you like ugly blue cars more than ugly green cars?

Much better...

-Raffi

Modified by EUROROC at 3:19 AM 12-25-2007

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      12-24-2007 10:04 PM #148
      There is a rear slope. Finally rocco shaped. Now we need to adress the Mitsubishi mouth.

9. 12-24-2007 11:20 PM #149

You know why this is acceptable????
      Because it's ugly and it's not being marketed as a scirocco!

-Raffi

Vehicles
      Scirocco MK1
      01-26-2008 05:45 AM #150
      Sorry, but nothing new! VW only wants to show the new Scirocco 3 in Genf/Switzerland (march 2008). And nothing picsor details before, so do I thing.

We will see.........

11. 01-26-2008 02:47 PM #151
      yesterday I had a talk with our big boss VW dealer, he has already seen the new Iroc at a special meeting between VW bosses. in 2 weeks there is another meeting and he said that the Iroc will be released around april/may... so we'll see.

12. 01-26-2008 05:42 PM #152
      Wow, looks like i will be picking mine up mid June or july

13. 02-14-2008 02:29 PM #153
      How about in classic Black??

14. 02-14-2008 02:56 PM #154
      I think the concept holds tru to the original shape, as being a previous owner of a 80 Scirroco S to call it a "coupe" would be pushing it. Hahns version certainly has great lines but takes after the Corrado, which I'm sure has it own following.
      Make a black/red with a VR6 "S" version, 6-sp MT and all wheel drive and I'll be there!!

15. 02-15-2008 02:16 AM #155
      new info here in europe. it will be shown at the 4'th of March at the carsallon in Geneve.
      it will hold only turbo charged engines. the TSI and TDI ones. all stoc versions get 17" rims sport suspensions and ESP also the 7 speed DSG box will be an option. more info to come.

16. 02-15-2008 10:19 PM #156
      Quote, originally posted by sniperviperman »
      new info here in europe. it will be shown at the 4'th of March at the carsallon in Geneve.
      it will hold turbo charged engines. the TSI and TDI ones, as well as the new 3.2L VR6. all stock versions get 18" wheels, sport suspensions and ESP. The 7 speed DSG box, AWD, and 19" wheels will be options. more info to come.

There I fixed it so people would actually buy them...

17. 02-15-2008 11:42 PM #157
      Quote, originally posted by Cynic65 »

There I fixed it so people would actually buy them...

He had me at NEW INFO

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      02-16-2008 02:29 AM #158
      I think the concerns of the head of VWoA about the new Scirocco cannibalizing GTI sales are justified if VW does not make a sincere effort to make the car different from the GTI in a significant way. I think more than anything else, that is a major sticking point for most fans. If it's priced the same as a GTI, has the same engine, the same internals, similar options, and essentially similar performance, then what exactly is the point of it besides trying to capitalize on nostalgia? (Which, as evidenced by the opinions of several people in this post, it does not do particularly well.) The MKV GTI has won a tremendous amount of awards and accolades from all over, in some cases for multiple years in a row. It has already been proven many times over that it does well what it tries to do and is at the top of its class.

I think the Scirocco should live up to its history and try to be a true sports coupe, as its genealogy clearly demonstrates, rather than a half-hearted attempt to re-skin a GTI. We already have a GTI we like. I don't see the point of throwing a different outer shell over it and giving it a new name.

Granted, details and specifics about the new Scirocco are few and there's no real way to tell for certain how different it will be from the GTI until the official unveiling, but if the head of VWoA is worried, I'm willing to bet it's a lot more similar to the GTI than they're letting on.

My hope is that it will be slightly more upmarket from the GTI (like the Eos) and will offer the option of the more powerful 3.2 litre V6 in order to differentiate it from its cousin. Since VW seems to be heading more towards the direction of offering a wide range of vehicles to cover a wider price range, this would increase VW's reach and offer something a little more powerful than the GTI without potentially altering the GTI's already impressive image. Perhaps it could be to the GTI what the Passat CC is trying to be to the standard Passat, a sportier cousin. One can only hope.

Modified by randomkoreanguy at 1:51 AM 2-16-2008

There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

19. 02-20-2008 12:09 AM #159
      just give it the 3.6 and 4motion and sell it in the us as vw's only real sports car, that would'nt cannibalize the gti's sales at all.

20. 02-20-2008 01:09 AM #160
      I think the whole Scirocco cannibalizing GTI sales hoop-la is BS. How much more different could the two be? Ones a straight fastback and the other is a committed family hatch. I

Vehicles
      02-20-2008 04:12 AM #161
      If the german teaser website is any indication, the new Scirocco will have a 2.0 TSI engine. Of course, there's debate as to what the so-called "2.0 TSI" engine really is, especially without specifics from VW. However, it should be noted that the Passat CC comes with what they are calling a "2.0 TSI" engine as the base engine offering for the North American version, and from what I can tell it's just what they're calling the normal 2.0T engine that currently is floating about the parts bin and is in many of the current generation VW's. It has the exact same 200 hp at 5100 rpm and 207 ft-lb of torque at 1800 rpm that the GTI engine has and is quoted with about the same gas mileage. The difference, then, between this car and the GTI will be purely cosmetic.

If this is the best engine offering on the Scirocco, it's simply a slightly different exterior with completely identical internals. Jamie already stated it will share many components with the Golf/Eos. The only thing new sounds like it'll be the exterior and chassis. It seems any differences beyond the superficial ones will be minor. Sounds to me like it'll just be a third (or fourth) choice to add when picking between a Jetta, Golf, and GTI. Now if you want something slightly sportier than the GTI, don't much like the GTI's styling and prefer something more aggressive, don't need four doors or the practicality of the huge cargo space, and you live in Europe, you can get a Scirocco.

Modified by randomkoreanguy at 3:23 AM 2-20-2008

There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      02-20-2008 04:16 AM #162
      Quote, originally posted by PUMA4kicks »
      I think the whole Scirocco cannibalizing GTI sales hoop-la is BS. How much more different could the two be? Ones a straight fastback and the other is a committed family hatch. I

I think they're much closer then the Sciroccos and GTis of old. The Scirocco back then was a commited sports coupe fastback, and the GTI was a fast family car. They both kind of blur the lines now. But the new Scirocco resembles what I'd expect the Golf Mk6 to look like, more then a new Scirocco. Give it a true fastback, dammit!

People do seem to forget that the Scirocco and Corrado were kind of the same thing as this: mostly a parts-bin special, sharing most parts with the A-platform, and borrwing some B-platform parts. Basically, A-platform long, B-platform wide

Modified by VDub2625 at 3:18 AM 2-20-2008

A2Resource

23. 02-23-2008 06:07 AM #163
      I imagine this conversation took place when the Scirocco 1 showed up at the dealer in 74'. All the Karmann ghia guys called it an abomination and vowed they would be selling their vws for a Datsun 200 or a corona before they bought another VW.

For one, I would loved to see a retro Giugiaro studio inspired production model ,much unlike the first Concept photos and the Autoweek pics. Something In the same ilk as Detroit has been putting out.. but I will take it all the same and welcome all the fun and controversy ahead to move my favorite automaker forward..

Of all the Vws I have owned I have always used my 76' Scirocco as the measuring stick to all others.. none has measured up to the feeling I get just looking at it.. let alone driving it.

If someone can debunk this, then please do.. I have got that to good to be true feeling as soon as I read it.

Has there been any discussion on the below attached Autoweek article?

Found at least 4 other sources some Deustch, stating the same as them ?

AUTOWEEK EXCERPT:

"Depicted in this series of computer-generated images, the new Scirocco goes into production in early 2008 and on sale in North America by the end of that year as a 2009 model. Information for the illustration was pried from VW’s Wolfsburg-based design studio. AutoWeek sources suggest prices for a base four-cylinder front-drive edition will start at E22,000, or nearly $28,000 and rise accordingly. The top model will have a 3.6-liter V6 and all-wheel drive."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/p.../1024

Vehicles
      1980 Scirocco / 2004 R32
      02-23-2008 10:22 AM #164
      Quote, originally posted by 4LUGVDUB »
      If someone can debunk this, then please do.. I have got that to good to be true feeling as soon as I read it.

Ask and you shall receive. Look at the very bottom of that article:
      This article was last updated on: 06/14/06, 08:46 et

That article pre-dates the unveiling of the IROC concept and the numerous rounds of "it's not coming to U.S./it's coming to U.S. after all/no, it's not/well, maybe it is".

Mike

<insert signature here>

Vehicles
      02-24-2008 12:22 AM #165
      The new Scirocco will have what the rear badge calls a "2.0 TSI" engine. What that means exactly, who knows. Technically the GTI's engine is the 2.0T FSI, but recent press releases and documents from VW (for other vehicles) seem to be swapping terminology and freely calling it the 2.0 TSI also. Until the official release announcement, this is based solely on the teaser website (a post or two below this one) which clearly shows a "2.0 TSI" badge. I'm inclined to believe it might be a new engine with new numbers, since two cars that aren't even in production yet are referred to as using it. (The Passat CC announcement said it will use a 2.0 TSI as the base engine somewhere, but the output numbers sound suspiciously close to the 2.0T FSI.) If all the rumors are true and they unveil it at Geneva, it'll only be another week of waiting before we find out for sure.

I owned a Scirocco briefly, before I had my first GTI and in retrospect, I have to admit the feel of it was different. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly, but it just felt ever so slightly more sporting, more aggressive, as it were. But things are very different now than they were then. I think the one thing VW lacks is a serious sports car of any sort, and if they re-introduce the Scirocco they should slot it into that niche, rather than re-hashing the GTI with a stylish retro shell and a new name, which is what will happen if it utilizes mostly existing Golf/GTI/Jetta/Eos parts (as has already been stated by Jamie). VW needs something like the 350Z: a car whose base price starts where the GTI leaves off (high upper 20's in price), is sportier, more aggressive, and more powerful in a noticeable way.

I really think that's partly why R32 sales seem sluggish this time around. The previous R32 was so much better than the MKIV GTI, it was a no brainer, but this new R32 hasn't been improved over the old one, whereas the new MKV GTI is significantly better in every possible way to the MKIV, making the price jump from one to the other less justifiable. Why throw almost $35k onto an R32 when the MKV GTI performs nearly as well? Granted, it's not as fast, and it lacks 4Motion/Haldex, but that aside the numbers favor the GTI in terms of cost/performance. If they don't differentiate the Scirocco from the GTI, it'll be the same story as the R32 here in America. In Europe I'm sure it'll be different, but that's a different market.

Modified by randomkoreanguy at 11:31 PM 2-23-2008

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      02-24-2008 10:08 AM #166
      Quote, originally posted by 4LUGVDUB »

Has there been any discussion on the below attached Autoweek article?

Found at least 4 other sources some Deustch, stating the same as them ?

AUTOWEEK EXCERPT:

"Depicted in this series of computer-generated images, the new Scirocco goes into production in early 2008 and on sale in North America by the end of that year as a 2009 model. Information for the illustration was pried from VW’s Wolfsburg-based design studio. AutoWeek sources suggest prices for a base four-cylinder front-drive edition will start at E22,000, or nearly $28,000 and rise accordingly. The top model will have a 3.6-liter V6 and all-wheel drive."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/p.../1024

Did you see how old that article is? It's WAY out of date (by 2 yrs) and most newer data suggests we won't get the iroc.

27. 02-25-2008 01:46 PM #167
      Quote, originally posted by PUMA4kicks »

The IROC is a straight square backand the GTI is a committed family hatch.

The new Iroc shape is not a fast back at all.

28. 02-25-2008 04:15 PM #168
      Quote, originally posted by vw53a »

UM I dont like the rear as much as I like the front. But I hope to sweet baby jesus they dont use the clear targa style roof

29. 02-25-2008 08:31 PM #169
      Quote, originally posted by vw53a »

<-----Sexy on the left... not so much on the right --->

-Raffi

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI DSG & 2002 Golf 2.0
      02-26-2008 11:19 AM #170

31. 02-26-2008 11:42 AM #171
      Quote, originally posted by GolfGuy2003 »
      http://www.volkswagen.de/vwcms....html

microsite

Does the site work yet? We all tried to log in last week and it just crashed. So I bet we all get spam now and we don't even get to see if VW used liposuction the IROC's fat tail.

32. 02-26-2008 12:14 PM #172
      Quote, originally posted by randomkoreanguy »

I really think that's partly why R32 sales seem sluggish this time around. The previous R32 was so much better than the MKIV GTI, it was a no brainer, but this new R32 hasn't been improved over the old one, whereas the new MKV GTI is significantly better in every possible way to the MKIV, making the price jump from one to the other less justifiable. Why throw almost $35k onto an R32 when the MKV GTI performs nearly as well? Granted, it's not as fast, and it lacks 4Motion/Haldex, but that aside the numbers favor the GTI in terms of cost/performance. If they don't differentiate the Scirocco from the GTI, it'll be the same story as the R32 here in America. In Europe I'm sure it'll be different, but that's a different market.

Why does VWoA think the IROC will take sales from the GTI? What VWoA does not want is to sit on more minivan inventory that does not move. Jetta and Passat are the pigs that VWoA wants.

FxqVBuLkSZBpM:http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/2007_volkswagen_rabbit.jpg" BORDER="0">

The big problem with the R32 is that it is not as good as the STI and or older EVO at attracting the enthuses market. The MK5 GTi / R32 is over weight and expensive. The MK5 looks like a minivan not a sports car or rally car. Why pay more for a chrome nose and more moving parts on your minivan? The MK5 / R32 is not impressive looking. The new scIROCco is more of the same minivan style but it is not as tall.

Modified by vw53a at 9:38 AM 2-26-2008

33. 02-26-2008 02:17 PM #173

Oh no... I just saw it...

Part of me just died.

-Raffi

34. 02-26-2008 05:42 PM #174
      I guess this means the tag "IROC" is done - "Scirocco" will be back!
      (At least in name)

I hope that is not just a fancy new badge for the 2.0T FSI. (..word is that, it is)

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      02-26-2008 05:53 PM #175
      Ok, so IROC, Si... any other copyrights we wish to violate today?
      A2Resource

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast