Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to solve (or prevent) Eos Roof leaks

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      02-22-2007 04:50 PM #51
      I kind of suspect that if we can get the various teams at VW of America talking to each other - in other words, get the support engineers and the marketing people to speak to the parts distribution people and tell them that it would be in everyone's best interest to drop the price of this G 052 172 A1 lubricant to the lowest possible level - then parts will drop the price.
      My guess (as always, just a guess) is that there is a hard-working, well-intentioned employee somewhere in the parts distribution section of VW who originally looked at this lubricant and thought "Well, we might as well price that so that there is a reasonable markup on it - after all, we lost $1 billion in North America last year", but that same hard-working, well-intentioned employee is not aware that it would save VW tens of thousands of dollars if the lubricant was inexpensive enough that dealers and owners could buy it without a second thought and use it whenever they need it.
      I bet that everyone who has ever worked for a large company in the past (or presently) can recognize this exact scenario from their own personal experience... ...the right hand often doesn't know what the left is doing in big organizations.
      Michael

2. 02-22-2007 05:34 PM #52
      Interestingly, my dealership has a location in the city in which I live, and in the city in which I work, and they are selling for different prices
      The dealership in Winston Salem is selling for MSRP = $71.+
      The dealership in Greensboro is selling for $78.18, and admitted there was a markup over MSRP when I asked.
      Truly shopping around can make a difference!
      William

3. 02-22-2007 07:57 PM #53
      Now, this only my opinion, but i think a very smart move by the dealer on the sales level would be to supply the customer with 1 bottle of the vw product or even get VW of america to supply it with the car. Even a quick explanation by the sales consultant about application would be useful as well.

Mabye it's too much to hope that VW will include a small insert in the owners manual about application.

I would love to mention it to them and see what comes of it

The EOS is a beautiful car and well, not the cheapest, supplying this to the customer would be a smart move on behalf of VW....but what do i know?..

My dealer sells the stuff for $93.00 CN, if anyone's interested

Modified by EurovanTastic at 4:59 PM 2-22-2007

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      02-22-2007 08:50 PM #54
      Quote, originally posted by EurovanTastic »
      Now, this only my opinion, but i think a very smart move by the dealer on the sales level would be to supply the customer with 1 bottle of the vw product...

Agreed. That is what my own VW dealer has decided to do - they are going to lubricate the Eos roof seals on the day of delivery to the customer (not the day that the PDI is done, but the day of delivery), and then give the customer the remainder of the bottle of special lubricant, along with providing instructions about how to use it.
      The trick will be to get all the knowledge we have accumulated in this discussion disseminated out to all the other VW dealers. My guess is that most dealers will see that lubricating the roof seals on the day of delivery is self-serving - it will increase customer satisfaction and decrease callbacks and warranty claims. It's not too hard to come to a policy decision when you look at it that way.
      Michael

5. 02-22-2007 09:17 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »
      Agreed. That is what my own VW dealer has decided to do - they are going to lubricate the Eos roof seals on the day of delivery to the customer (not the day that the PDI is done, but the day of delivery), and then give the customer the remainder of the bottle of special lubricant, along with providing instructions about how to use it.

That sounds wonderful, although they should also lubricate them when they receive them at the dealer, as both of the Eos's on my dealer's lot have dry, white-spotted seals worse than mine.
      Having the top work its best when showing off to potential buyers also serves the dealers well.
      (this esp. occurs to me given the talk about how old the Eos may already be before it is sold.)
      Of course, for those lucky enough to have real custom-ordering, the Eos may be showing up just for a brief inspection before it is taken home.
      William

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      02-22-2007 10:25 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by kghia »
      ...although they should also lubricate them when they receive them at the dealer...

I don't think that any of us have sufficient product knowledge to make that statement. Lubrication addresses squeak and leak issues, not operational issues.
      Michael

7. 02-23-2007 10:25 AM #57
      several people have complained of leaks from the first day, and I believe that someone (grubbygirl?) said that there was water in a side pocket at the dealer's.
      Leaking IS an operational issue-- the roof & seals are not operating propperly in the keep-out-water function. Seals operating quietly also earned the Eos an extra year in development.(the wind problem)
      Doesn't it make sense to prevent the squeaks and leaks BEFORE sales, so that no (additional) customers find problems in the lot while considering purchase?
      I tell you, if I were looking at a new $30k+ car and saw water inside, that would probably settle it right then, at least for that particular car, if not the entire model.
      William
      ps. I did have a car dealer show me a Ghia with water in the pass. floor. He said "oh it rained last night and the window was cracked open"-- and then did nothing! I wanted to clean it up myself! That was one of several reasons to not buy that Ghia, made me wonder what reasons I didn't see.

8. 02-23-2007 12:53 PM #58
      As a follow up to my earlier post, we had several hours of heavy rain yesterday and last night.
      I now have no leaks.
      FYI - I used the 205 grease which I bought in the 8oz tube. I did find it easy to apply and it did get easy absorbed into the seals, making them softer and more pliable.
      But, and it's only a small matter, I believe the G 052 172 A1 product is the better solution and I will be switching to it for the visible seals at least.. I feel the 205 leaves to much of a greasy residue on the seals that will smear in places if you are not careful.

9. 02-23-2007 03:21 PM #59
      Got mine at $71 minus 10% because of my VWCA membership. Dealer gives 10% off parts, labor and accesories for members.

10. 02-23-2007 05:38 PM #60
      excellent........i'm glad to hear they will be supplying it to customers!!

11. 02-23-2007 07:39 PM #61
      I called my dealer's parts dept and ordered a bottle right after I read Michael's outstanding write-up. The guy quoted me $71 dollars and then said, "Woah, what is this?" I told him all about this forum and suggested they check it out. Then I said, "Can you help me out on the price seeing as I just bought the Eos not a month ago?" He gave me 10% off.
      So, it never hurts to ask.

12. 02-24-2007 11:21 AM #62
      Good morning everyone
      An update on pricing. I have found that vw-auto-parts.com sells the VW labeled liquid krytox for $51.00. You just need to put in the VW part number, and away you go.
      Looks like it might take 2 weeks or so to get the liquid, but, you're saving quite a bit of money.
      Enjoy all!

Modified by Timokreon at 10:23 AM 2-24-2007

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Eos Lux with incredible Dynaudio
      02-24-2007 01:02 PM #63
      I could not find the oil on that site. A few pointers would be appreciated, Tim.

Vehicles
      2007 Eos, Lux, DSG. 2006 Jetta. 2000 Honda Odyssey. 2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost
      02-24-2007 01:52 PM #64
      Found this one for $53.50 plus shipping at $9-$12.
      http://www.trademotion.com/par...13714
      Kevin

15. 02-24-2007 03:49 PM #65
      Yeah, it goes to trademotion.com after clicking on "vw parts". From there, put in the VW code for the liquid, the "g 052 172 a1", and it will come up.
      They must have raised the price already... Mine was $51 and free shipping via usps.

16. 02-24-2007 04:25 PM #66
      Quote, originally posted by Timokreon »
      Yeah, it goes to trademotion.com after clicking on "vw parts". From there, put in the VW code for the liquid, the "g 052 172 a1", and it will come up.
      They must have raised the price already... Mine was $51 and free shipping via usps.

That's a good point. With the magic of the computer age also comes adaptive price software. If an item starts selling rapidly (for example, because someone puts information or a link in an internet chat room) the pricing software at the vendor in question automatically adapts based on the increased demand and raises the price. Many retailers, both online and in real life have adaptive price software, so if you might want to be careful what you post on the internet. You can very easily kill the goose that laid the golden egg, so to speak.

Modified by PanEuropean at 6:55 PM 2-24-2007

17. 02-24-2007 06:27 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by Timokreon »

Have you received your lubricant from this site yet? I was considering ordering some but wanted to make sure it was an ok site/company to deal with. You never know what you are getting when buying things online...

18. 02-26-2007 12:13 PM #68
      Another quick update, based on material safety in handling concerns raised by Kevin in Canada. After reviewing all the DuPont newsletters for the auto industry, I've found their 4th newsletter gets into safety/handling concerns. Probably the most interesting quote is...
      "It presents no danger from short-term skin exposure or from inhalation of decomposition products at high temperatures. And Krytox exhibits no other known hazards. Actually with a toxicity level comparable to sugar and salt water, it is not surprising that Krytox is used in cosmetic products!
      Krytox is not included on any hazardous SARA EHS, CERCLA, or SARA toxic chemicals list; nor is it regulated by the EPA, DOT, or FDA. In fact, we have been awarded an NSF approval for use in certain applications with incidental food contact."
      http://www2.dupont.com/Lubrica...4.pdf

Modified by WolfsburgerMitFries at 3:07 PM 2-26-2007

Vehicles
      2007 Eos, Lux, DSG. 2006 Jetta. 2000 Honda Odyssey. 2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost
      02-26-2007 08:31 PM #69
      Excellent info Wolfsburger, thanks for the follow up research.
      Kevin

20. 02-26-2007 11:11 PM #70
      Laura:
      I bought mine from 1stvwparts.com. It's $52.02 + $7.95 shipping. Shipping via UPS. Took them almost 4 business day to email me about the shipment tracking information. HTH.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      02-27-2007 12:36 AM #71
      I've heard a lot of good things about www.1stvwparts.com. They don't advertise here on Vortex, but the parts manager there is a member here on Vortex. It seems that the company is actually a VW dealer, and they are creative enough to run an Internet parts business on the side. Based on what I have read in all the other forums, I think you can buy there with confidence.
      Michael

22. 02-27-2007 12:11 PM #72
      Michael,hi there,im still waiting for my EOS which is in the port,about one more week or so they tell me.Today i went to VW spare parts department in Nicosia and asked if they had some G 052 172 A1.they said they didnt but could order it..delivery time...........2 months or more because its classified as a chemical and the cant bring it by air do you know where i can order it from Europe without all thi hastle? thanks Andy.

23. 02-27-2007 02:28 PM #73
      One thing that I've noticed with my now well lubricated seals is that the top of the tray the top rests on in the trunk is also lubricated in certain areas.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      02-27-2007 05:01 PM #74
      Hi Andy:
      It is a chemical, that is true, but it is not a 'dangerous good' by any means. In other words, it presents no more of a hazard for shipping that toothpaste does.
      Perhaps your best alternative might be to get a VW dealer in Europe to send you a bottle of it by post. The whole package is very small and lightweight (no larger than a little airline miniature bottle of alcohol), it could easily be shipped in a 10 cm square box... total weight perhaps 150 grams at most.
      Michael

25. 02-28-2007 12:48 PM #75
      thanks alot Michael,ive ordered it from london through my cousin.the waiting is almost over [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast