Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: How to solve (or prevent) Eos Roof leaks

Vehicles
      2007 Eos, Lux, DSG. 2006 Jetta. 2000 Honda Odyssey. 2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost
      10-26-2008 12:13 PM #281
      This is a re-post. Adding this info to the relative thread.

The first year we had the Eos I performed a complete seal lubrication the day it came home from the dealership. I also did one or two partial applications during the summer months, primarily on the top roof seals where they are exposed to the elements and car washes. Then I did another complete application in the fall before I stored the car for the winter.

This year I checked the seals several times over the summer and they were always good. As you can see in the photo, they are still nice and black, have an oily sheen, and are soft and supple.

I see this as an indication that once the seals are well saturated, they will require less frequent applications of Krytox.

Now I'm debating whether or not I should treat the seals before storing the car. I like the idea of giving the seals a chance to really soak up some lubricant, but on the other hand it would be interesting to see how long I can go between tretments.

Kevin

Vehicles
      2007 EOS VR6
      12-30-2008 12:20 PM #282
      My 2007 EOS leaks around the A Pillar driver's side and drips on my leg during a light rain. After reading this thread about solutions I was looking for Kyrtox GPL 105 and found a 4 oz dropper bottle for $74.50 from http://www.miller-stephenson.com/ and a 8 oz dropper bottle for $74. I bought the car used from a local dealer and they will work on it to stop the leaks but I plan on getting some Krytox 105 to do the seal lube myself in the future.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos Sport with Tech Package, RNS-510 Upgrade. 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, Stock
      12-31-2008 12:14 AM #283
      You might want to check that the A pillar drains are not clogged. I recently had a bad leak at my 'C' pillar that was caused by clogged drains.

Vehicles
      2007 EOS VR6
      12-31-2008 12:25 AM #284
      Quote, originally posted by mark_d_drake »
      You might want to check that the A pillar drains are not clogged. I recently had a bad leak at my 'C' pillar that was caused by clogged drains.

You know I thought about that. The drip comes from between the 2 plastic trim pieces. I was thinking about dripping a few drops of Clorox down the round hole and blowing it out with my air hose in case it was algae down the drain tube. The sunroof seals at the front corner do look like they would allow water to drip through by the A pillar.

5. 03-02-2009 01:18 AM #285
      I may have found a source for Krytox at $30 plus S&H for 1 oze bottles with the little plastic nipple tip. I will order one and see what it looks like.

Vehicles
      71 SuperBeetle, 89 Jetta GLI, 97 Jetta GLX-SOLD, white canvas KEDS/8 eyelett/blue badging
      10-03-2009 03:31 PM #286
      finally got around to adding a picture of my A pillar leak repair
      service papers indicate TB-61-07-10
      with part 1JM133001 hose
      hasn't leaked between the white sections of the A pillar since they beefed up the pillar moulding with the little hose presumably to keep the area where it has no lip and connects to the side of the sunroof channel from dipping and spilling into the trim. the hose does not connect anything, it just provides support.

Modified by just-jean at 3:36 PM 10-3-2009

07 EOS island grey/black/2.0T-- 6MT----no DSG for MY happy feet

7. 10-05-2009 04:05 PM #287
      I just had exactly the same happen today, drips between the trim on the A pillar, drivers side, and I had only just lubricated all the seals yesterday in anticipation of rain...which we have now had! Took it straight to my dealer - I've had the car from new and it has just gone over it's third birthday, never a leak problem 'till now - and it was "we'll need it for a few days as there are numerous fixes" can't do that yet as I have to commute to work - but seeing this post I will look for blocked drain - I noticed a thin tube lying at bottom of seal on drivers side (UK) but no such tube on the passenger side...I see from your picture that you are showing what is the passenger side on my vehicle. Just to compound issues, my boot catch is now playing up where every so often the lid fails to lock and I have to press down hard to get the electric catch/motor to operate. Does anyone know of a post covering this?

8. 10-11-2009 11:09 PM #288
      I've had my Eos for just over two weeks now. I washed and lovingly dried it this weekend, and was happy, so happy, not to have any leaks. I went ahead and lubricated the seals according to the owner's manual. The instructions there are a little different than what's presented in the first post of this thread, and I went strictly by my manual. The rains will start in a few more weeks here in the Pacific Northwest, so please wish me luck. I keep the car in the garage, but when I go to work, I'll have to leave it out all day, and there *will* be days of torrential rain. I'm hoping that the seals have gotten better with time. I just have to say that I *love* this car; I went grocery shopping today in 52 degree weather with grey clouds, and I happily had the top down with the seat warmer on, a jacket, and a watchcap. Works for me.

Vehicles
      10-13-2009 07:12 PM #289
      You took an important first step in mitigating future seal problems by being proactive with your seal maintenance. We are three years in and nary a drop.

Kevin

10. 11-14-2009 10:13 AM #290
      Has anyone any experience specifically with water pooling within the gutter of the doors, spilling out every time you open them after a rainy day? I have heard there is some modification that can resolve this? As it is, my lower door seals are wet through every time I open the doors after rain, and I'm sure this is doing no good, although my dealer tells me this is supposed to happen!

Thanks for a great thread.

Martyn

Vehicles
      11-14-2009 10:36 AM #291
      Hi Martyn,

There is a TB in the Tech Bulletin thread that addresses this issue.

Kevin

Modified by just4fun at 8:37 AM 11-14-2009

12. 11-14-2009 12:58 PM #292
      Had exactly the same with my Eos, and found on this forum how to get the "fix". Your local VW dealer should know exactly what is involved, which is using an adapted drain-pipe to syphon the water before it trickles down to the door seals. Seemple.

13. 11-14-2009 01:55 PM #293
      Thanks Wurz. I have found the TB article on cutting holes in the door seals. I shall look again at the TB files - I didn't see any drain pipe solution, except within the C-Segment seals TB article (leaking from the rear windows, which I do not seem to have).
      Is this a cause of the door pooling too? - I have yet to see if these modifications have been done, but I have checked the door seal holes, and these have already been cut, so I'm not sure what to do about this now?

14. 11-14-2009 07:26 PM #294
      I've just found my warranty repair docket and it say's "applied sealant to upper seals on "B" posts to eliminate water ingress between door seals ( TPI 2012970/6) so quote this to your dealer....

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Eos Komfort, 2012 Eos Lux
      01-22-2010 12:23 PM #295
      Michael,

Can you tell me what is the print-date of the manual you used to show the lubricant requirement? I have a 2008 EOS and in my manual Booklet 3.2, page 27 (not 25) it specifically says "We recommend treating the rubber seals in your vehicle with silicone or another vehicle care product to keep them soft...". And it does show the same picture as yours. The print date on the rear of my 3.2 booklet is 09.2007...

Thanks.

16. 01-22-2010 03:46 PM #296
      On page 25 of my book (2007 Model) there is a "note" that say's in BOLD "DO NOT use any rubber cleaning or treatment products containing silicone, or any products containing acids, such as industrial dust removers or insect repellents."
      Don't know about insect repellent......but I do know you need to use either the VW recommended stuff, or Krytox. I've used it for the life of my Eos (over three years) and have no leaks!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      01-22-2010 04:36 PM #297
      Quote, originally posted by Wurz68 »
      On page 25 of my book (2007 Model) there is a "note" that say's in BOLD "DO NOT use any rubber cleaning or treatment products containing silicone, or any products containing acids, such as industrial dust removers or insect repellents."
      Don't know about insect repellent......but I do know you need to use either the VW recommended stuff, or Krytox. I've used it for the life of my Eos (over three years) and have no leaks!

I am being to think there was a change made between 2007 and 2008. Can someone with a 2009 review their manual and let us know what it says on page 25 or 27 or ???

18. Member
      Vehicles
      02-12-2010 11:39 AM #298
      Quote, originally posted by FMinMI »

I am being to think there was a change made between 2007 and 2008. Can someone with a 2009 review their manual and let us know what it says on page 25 or 27 or ???

I recently read in a tech bulletin that said there was an error in the printing of some of the manuals and that you should not use silicone on these seals. I would still like to know however what the 2009 and 2010 manual says. Any one???

Also, for those who are interested, I am selling a small quantity of Krylox oil -- please see the EOS classified area under parts.

19. 02-20-2010 05:50 AM #299
      This is what the technical info was/is and is current for all year models
      TT 61-07-112
      2007>EOS - Rubber Seal Protection Tip
      A misprint has been noted in the owner’s manual booklet “3.2 Tips and Advice” concerning treatment of the rubber seals.
      On page 26 of the booklet under the section for “Care of Rubber Seals” it is stated to use silicone care products on the
      seals to keep them soft and from freezing. This is incorrect. Use only Krytox lubricant on the rubber seals. Part number
      000 096 331 is for a one time cleaning and protection of the seals. Part number G 052 172 A2 (a 100ml bottle) can be
      used for several applications.
      TT 61-07-111
      2007 EOS - Header Seal Replacement - Additional Tips
      When diagnosis leads to the replacement of the header seal, the part may be superseded to part number 1Q0

Vehicles
      02-20-2010 12:20 PM #300
      Good catch Larry

I have browsed the Tech Tips many times, and overlooked that one.

Kevin

21. Member
      Vehicles
      02-20-2010 01:18 PM #301
      Quote, originally posted by Wurz68 »
      This is what the technical info was/is and is current for all year models
      TT 61-07-112
      2007>EOS - Rubber Seal Protection Tip
      A misprint has been noted in the owner’s manual booklet “3.2 Tips and Advice” concerning treatment of the rubber seals.
      On page 26 of the booklet under the section for “Care of Rubber Seals” it is stated to use silicone care products on the
      seals to keep them soft and from freezing. This is incorrect. Use only Krytox lubricant on the rubber seals. Part number
      000 096 331 is for a one time cleaning and protection of the seals. Part number G 052 172 A2 (a 100ml bottle) can be
      used for several applications.
      TT 61-07-111
      2007 EOS - Header Seal Replacement - Additional Tips
      When diagnosis leads to the replacement of the header seal, the part may be superseded to part number 1Q0

But of course the average Eos owner would not get these tech tips and if they relied on what was in the OWNERS MANUAL, they could destroy the seals. It would be interesting to see how VW would handle a seal-failure replacement if silicone was used and determined to be the cause of the failure. My guess is that in a court of law, VW would end up paying unless they had proof that they send out replacement pages or an addendum to all owners...

22. 02-24-2010 08:46 PM #302
      Hello. I know this is probably an un-answerable question on here, but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Basically, my father picked up a bottle of 'arctic oil' from a Swiss based company http://www.oerlikon.com/ that manufactures rotary vacuum pumps. So he got me a jug of this 'arctic oil' and is saying that it's comparable to Krytox. Uhm, I have NO idea if this is true or false or a good idea. Obviously I don't want to do this if it's going to ruin the seals. I just wrote to DuPont, but feel they're going to be biased in their response, regardless of the fact that I (in a nice way) pointed out they were probably biased.

Basically my tops leaking big time and I have a huge issue paying $100 for a tiny vile of Krytox when this 'arctic oil' might be just as good, if not better to use on the seals. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

23. 05-18-2010 12:25 AM #303
      The 2010 model manual states DO NOT USE ANY LUBRICANTS OR KRYTOX on Window seals. So what do we do about window squeaks and rattles?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      05-21-2010 04:35 PM #304
      I was at my Volkswagen dealership last week to buy some Krytox. However, just before I went into the parts department, I saw the Service Manager on the driveway.

I know this guy is a real car person. We have spent a lot of time just talking general car stuff. I asked Dave what he thought of the Krytox. He said it is good but not as good as the product that he uses.

His personal preferance is "303 Aerospace Protectant". He uses it on his personal Eos as well as a couple of collector cars that he owns.

They don't sell it at his dealership but he did tell me where to pick it up in Tucson which is the same place he gets it.

The nice thing is that compared to Krytox, it is cheap. It is available all over the internet but I plan on picking up a bottle when I am in Tucson this coming Tuesday.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

Vehicles
      71 SuperBeetle, 89 Jetta GLI, 97 Jetta GLX-SOLD, white canvas KEDS/8 eyelett/blue badging
      05-25-2010 05:30 AM #305
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidPaul View Post
      I was at my Volkswagen dealership last week to buy some Krytox. However, just before I went into the parts department, I saw the Service Manager on the driveway.

I know this guy is a real car person. We have spent a lot of time just talking general car stuff. I asked Dave what he thought of the Krytox. He said it is good but not as good as the product that he uses.

His personal preferance is "303 Aerospace Protectant". He uses it on his personal Eos as well as a couple of collector cars that he owns.

They don't sell it at his dealership but he did tell me where to pick it up in Tucson which is the same place he gets it.

The nice thing is that compared to Krytox, it is cheap. It is available all over the internet but I plan on picking up a bottle when I am in Tucson this coming Tuesday.
      aerospace 303, krytox, VW stock stuff.........they are all various forms of liquid teflon.......each one has their own specific qualities. i would still recommend only using what VW offers for the seals......after 3 years i still have my little bottle....it is much thicker than the 303 that comes in a spray bottle (i use that on my seats)
      07 EOS island grey/black/2.0T-- 6MT----no DSG for MY happy feet

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      05-28-2010 11:44 PM #306
      Quote Originally Posted by just-jean View Post
      aerospace 303, krytox, VW stock stuff.........they are all various forms of liquid teflon.......each one has their own specific qualities. i would still recommend only using what VW offers for the seals......after 3 years i still have my little bottle....it is much thicker than the 303 that comes in a spray bottle (i use that on my seats)
      I got some 303 Protectant and used it on my seats. It really does a good job of sealing them. I haven't tried it on any of the roof seals yet.

I can see that the 303 isn't actually going to soften the seals but it will definitely protect them from sun damage. And...it will not attract dirt like other products.

I have a product called Magic Lube, which is a teflon based lubricant used mostly in pool scenarios where waterproofing is very important. It costs around $9 for a 5 oz. tube. I've been using it for my swimming pool "O" rings for years. I wonder if this product would be good for dried seals on the Eos roof.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

Vehicles
      09 Eos Lux, 00 New Beetle, 78 Scirocco
      09-08-2010 04:26 AM #307
      Mine reads that you should not use anything on the windows seals. It outlines the sunroof seals, window seals, and door seals in different colors. It explicitly says not to use the lubricant on the window seals; but it does say to use it on the door and sunroof seals.

I printed the original post out for this and read it. I appllied it on the sunroof and then was curious and reviewed my manual. The photos in this thread show lubricating the seal between the rear window and the trailing edge of the top. From the drawing in the owner's manual, it is unclear whether this should be lubricated. I think I'll just keep this stuff for the sunroof. I'll use less of it and stay away from any warranty issues.

09-15-2010 06:09 PM #308
      Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
      My EOS came with the following package in the glove compartment. It looks like krytox imbedded in a cloth. It says it is good for one application. The only thing which looks like a part number is 000 096 331

My dealer gave me like 15 of these kits when I asked about the lube for the roof. I used one a week ago and discovered my windows have streaks running down them. I guess this stuff "runs" after rain. The day I applied it, I let it sit open for an hour. No rain that particular day.

29. 10-19-2010 04:21 PM #309
      thank you for your great article. taking it to the dealer this afternoon. will let you know

30. 04-04-2011 11:07 PM #310
      See my separate post. There are also 2 drain holes for the roof system, and if these are clogged rain will leak into the car too.

31. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 MY10 VW Eos 147 TSI
      10-12-2011 07:36 AM #311
      Hi,
      Does anyone have the pics from the start of this thread?

Cheers Barry

32. 10-31-2011 03:06 PM #312
      CAn you send me the pdf that you referred to?
      I could bot download it
      Thanks

Pete

Lavajava@AOL.com

33. 11-07-2011 06:39 PM #313
      thank you for that. i have an eos roof leak to deal with tomorrow. i'll try lubing the seals ( we'll probably have to order the lube) and let you know what happens...

34. 07-08-2012 02:42 PM #314
      SCUBA Divers use Krytox for seal lubrication, see here. Would this stuff be OK?

35. 09-14-2012 10:49 PM #315
      Can anyone share the pictures in the original posting? It would be most helpful to this newbie!

08, EOS Komfort. Purchased lubricant from dealer, just don't want to waste it.

Thanks!

Perry

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast