Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the super-ultra-mega-extra-comprehensive list of AR clones

1. 12-23-2007 09:46 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by .:RDriver »
      The RRA is a great weapon for the money. I have two of them and they perform great.

I had a great evening defending a friend's field from watermelons with a mid-length A2. I'm really interested in this model:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/i...48330

So maybe in the next few months.

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4 Avant
      12-23-2007 10:01 PM #37
      That pretty nice but I'm not a real fan of that detachable carry handle on that gun and I think that is the only difference between that and a standard flat top mid length like this. http://www.rockriverarms.com/i...26054

I'd probably do the standard mid A4 then and whatever rear site to it you want. The standard flat top will be more flexible if you ever want to add another kind of optic like an Aimpoint or Eotech.

3. 12-23-2007 10:22 PM #38
      cmmg has ar15's 16 and 18.5 for $570

4. 12-23-2007 10:43 PM #39
      That pretty nice but I'm not a real fan of that detachable carry handle on that gun and I think that is the only difference between that and a standard flat top mid length like this. http://www.rockriverarms.com/i...26054

I'd probably do the standard mid A4 then and whatever rear site to it you want. The standard flat top will be more flexible if you ever want to add another kind of optic like an Aimpoint or Eotech.

Definitely a good call. I'm not seeing any real differences either and I've had my eyes on an Eotech.

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      12-23-2007 11:28 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by vincentobrien »

Definitely a good call. I'm not seeing any real differences either and I've had my eyes on an Eotech.

Eotech's are really nice. I have one on my S&W M&P15T and I love it.

PSN: Glock23man

6. 12-31-2007 05:16 PM #41

Well I got another chance the other day to fire the M4 with the detachable carry handle at a marauding band of rotting pumpkins. That handle is actually pretty nice and the set of sights on it is no problem at to use. Underneath that handle sits the regular flattop.

I'm set on that RRA rifle. Soon.

Also, I picked up a Remington 700 in .223. I'll post up pics soon.

Happy New Years everyone.

Vehicles
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      01-04-2008 03:28 PM #42

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      02-28-2008 06:31 PM #43
      does anyone have experience with anything from Olympic Arms? a guy I work with suggested them...

I really like this one: http://www.olyarms.com/index.p...id=37

9. 02-28-2008 08:24 PM #44
      http://www.anvilarms.com/

http://www.spikestactical.com/

http://www.magpul.com/ ~they only made a few lowers, does that count ?

my personal fave... LMT

10. 02-28-2008 08:31 PM #45
      http://www.cavalryarms.com/ also but they just got raided by the atf linky

11. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      02-29-2008 05:33 PM #46
      Quote, originally posted by aiian »
      http://www.magpul.com/ ~they only made a few lowers, does that count ?

as much as i love Magpul, lowers only don't count for this list. i wanted more to compile a list of places who manufacture a complete rifle other than just parts. this way if someone comes across an AR variant in the future they'd know whether it was a complete gun or a "kit" which was pieced together.

that LMT is a nice gun, my personal fave is probably

POF gas piston carbine

the only gas impingement AR which grabs me is this one:

heh heh, wood good

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

12. 02-29-2008 06:39 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »
      the only gas impingement AR which grabs me is this one:

heh heh, wood good

obin

Nice, looks like a Marlin

Dave.

13. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-09-2008 07:57 PM #48
      bump to include some updates.

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

10-09-2008 08:51 PM #49
      http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

COLT LE6920 AR-15 Carbine .223 NEW-IN-BOX. Limited supply.
      $1,199.00

15. 10-09-2008 10:01 PM #50
      How about the seldom photographed FAL-15...?

PS: Obin, my LWRC is piston, but is exchangeable with most AR parts --- some piston guns use different bolts, etc...mine looks to be fairly similar to the normal AR bolt though.

10-10-2008 08:24 AM #51
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows »

Now that is something I would like to see more of.

17. 10-10-2008 09:11 AM #52
      How can you guys not bring up the tacticooliest company of them all?

Noveske - http://www.noveskerifleworks.com

18. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-11-2008 06:52 AM #53
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows »

i was thinking about that one but it's so dramatically different from the standard AR. it's more like a FAL in just about every way. it is VERY cool and looks damn good though!

obin

19. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-03-2009 02:28 AM #54
      fwiw this list. yes THIS list was referenced in a gun magazine a few months back. I think it was a "guns and law enforcement" or something like that. the author brought up a large list of ARs which was compiled on the internet. this one is the largest by far.

obin

20. 04-03-2009 08:38 AM #55
      Just browsed the list again... Lets add the Larue Stealth to it....

http://www.laruetactical.com

and the LMT Mk18 CQBR... That should be up there too...

Modified by B3-VR6 at 11:26 AM 4-3-2009

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      04-06-2009 08:31 PM #56
      I swear to God, every time this thread comes up, I get tingly...
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

22. 04-06-2009 09:02 PM #57
      Got a flyer for this --- someone mentioned it two posts up, looks pretty nice for a .308 AR system..

23. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-07-2009 02:57 AM #58
      Quote, originally posted by B3-VR6 »
      Just browsed the list again... Lets add the Larue Stealth to it....

http://www.laruetactical.com

i have been looking and i can't find if larue makes a lower receiver. i only want to include lower receiver manufacturers because technically they are firearm manufacturers rather than parts suppliers. if we wanted to include everyone that makes parts for the AR we should start and entire website and reserve about a terabyte of space!

obin

24. 04-07-2009 07:36 AM #59
      They do produce lowers --- but in small quantities. In fact last time I checked you couldn't order a lower, UNLESS you had an upper with them already.

That must be some pretty small numbers...

25. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-28-2009 03:45 AM #60
      bump up because a found a few other companies.

obin

Vehicles
      2012 Equinox
      06-20-2010 05:08 PM #61
      *bump*

27. 06-20-2010 06:39 PM #62
      Bump indeed simply for a good thread...I'll chime back in with LWRC's current lineup sometime.

Vehicles
      04 Passat Wagon
      06-20-2010 11:37 PM #63
      i can personally vouch for Del-Ton AR 15s.
      mine is very good.

29. 06-21-2010 04:43 PM #64
      LWRC's current lineup of AR platform rifles.

Currently all of the models feature:
      -Milspec or better on all component.
      -1/7 Twist Nitro-carburized barrels (normally medium contour)
      -Nickel Boron coated bolt carriers (new single piece design w/ fluting, anti-tilt)
      -Available nickel-boron coated advanced fire group
      -Available advanced combat bolt
      -Available in carbine length piston, mid-length piston, and mid-length adjustable piston
      -Available in 5.56\6.8
      -Ship w/ Troy BUIS (soon to be replaced by LWRC in-house built BUIS)
      -Available in MRE finish (used to be anodized, will soon to be Cerakote I believe)
      -Barrels available in 8.5/10.5/12.7/14.7+PA/16

Current model range:

M6 - Basic AR carbine model.

M6A1 - Sopmod AR equivalent w/ railed forearm.

M6A2 - Fully railed upper combat rifle.

M6A3 - Midlength piston (adjustable gas settings), includes fold-down sight

PSD - Private Security Detail model

PSD Pistol

LWRC currently sees service with the Pentagon Protection guys, the DEA F.A.S.T. team, and various other unmentioned agencies/departments. Their REPR (7.62x51 AR platform) is under testing for possible military use. Their rifles are also authorized for normal duty use with the DEA.

They are constantly improving/pushing the envelope of the AR platform...new models in the wings are the SPR (a long-hitting 5.56 version of their REPR), and various special edition rifles are available through various suppliers. They will also build you just about whatever you'd like (for the right price)

The above are pictures of the SPR, LWRC's new BUIS, and a special edition "Tricon" rifle built with advice from Jeff Gomez I believe.

The above are pictures of the REPR - while initial rifles had a teething problem with various magazines (requiring a fix of 22/1000ths of an inch!) LWRC has fixed them for customers, and they now run great with just about any .308 magazine. The REPR is available in four styles:

12.7" Battle rifle
      16" Battle rifle
      18" DMR (includes better barrel, better trigger)
      20" Sniper (includes even better barrel, and better trigger!)

Side-charging handle allows use of standard AR stocks etc., and front handguard is modular to allow rails if needed, but if not - is very sturdy and light weight. I've toyed with one of these at Scottsdale Gun Club...very very slick.

All in all a good company - they push a lot of development and changes. Their guns are pricey but built with the very best components. On top of that their customer service is amazing, and the guys who design/build this stuff are very open and generous on their forum. Its nice to see a forward thinking customer-oriented company. If I ever buy an AR again - it will likely be one from these guys.

Some pics of the ACB, carriers, piston systems etc...

Last edited by Elbows; 06-21-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      06-21-2010 05:12 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by B3-VR6 View Post
      and the LMT Mk18 CQBR... That should be up there too
      I had some initial feeding & ejection problems with mine but all seems to be well now after a trip back to LMT. They were good folks to deal with.

31. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-19-2010 11:46 AM #66
      added some more to this list.

obin

32. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-19-2010 10:25 PM #67
      added! thanks!

obin

33. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-12-2011 12:45 AM #68
      more added!

obin

Vehicles
      2011 Chevy Malibu .... 2000 Honda Foreman 450ES
      01-12-2011 04:19 PM #69
      This is the best thread I've seen in a long long time.
      93 Golf R.I.P - 85 Jetta R.I.P - 06 Jetta - Sold

35. 01-14-2011 11:58 AM #70
      Not sure if it was mentioned:

Mega Machine Shop

http://megamachineshop.com/armscatalog.php

They make their own uppers and lowers, but I'm not sure they sell a complete rifle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast