Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $9000 damage for 3/6 mph crash tests?

1. 03-01-2007 06:21 AM #1

2. 03-01-2007 07:17 AM #2
      I guess that's what happens when you make a car really safe. It does what it's designed to do...not matter at what speed.
      "Most 3rd row seats are in the crumple zone. That's why they're outlawed in Europe. But here in the states you have the option of putting your least favorite in the back." -V10 SUVW ClubTouareg.com

3. 03-01-2007 07:27 AM #3
      My wife was rear ended by a guy in an F250 hauling a trailer with a CAT on it. He was going about 30mph and hit above the rear bumper of the '06 Jetta and that was about $7500 in damage. The car did exactly what it was supposed to do. In my mind this car REALLY held up against all that inertia and even hitting above the bumper, really kept my wife safe.
      "Most 3rd row seats are in the crumple zone. That's why they're outlawed in Europe. But here in the states you have the option of putting your least favorite in the back." -V10 SUVW ClubTouareg.com

Vehicles
      86'GTI sold, 07'GTI sold, 07 Subaru Forrester LLB
      03-01-2007 07:37 AM #4
      I was rear ended back in November....$650.00 plus radio/in dash 6 disk changer. I was the number one car in a 3 car wreck. I was stopped at a red light and the Honda accord behind me was also stopped. Lady in a 04 Passat rams the Honda and it hits me. Passat major front end damage with air bag deployment. Honda, major rear damage and crumpled front end. My car, cracked and scratched bumper cover and cd player not working anymore....I think that is pretty good, oh,,,Honda driver taken away in ambulance and car towed. Passat towed and GTI continued on to dealer for speedo flash...

Drive safe....

I don't need no stinking signature!

5. 03-01-2007 08:01 AM #5
      Unfortunately, safe cars do not always equate to cheaper cars to insure.

Due to European regs, most German cars are very safe - but very expensive to repair.

Not only do our cars have a very rigid passenger compartment surrounded by crumple zones, but they are also safer for the occasional pedestrian you might run into.

These safety issues bring with them a few annoyances. Things like:

windshield wipers under the hood with that funky service setting
      That odd looking trim piece at the top of the dash
      The flatter bumpers and flatter (and larger) grill
      Softer windshield glass
      Finally, the bumpers and body panels that dent if you look at them hard

All this adds up to more safety and increased repair costs...

6. 03-01-2007 08:30 AM #6
      I think that I should also add that they only have OEM replacment parts for the jetta and not third party parts, I'm sure that affects the repair price. The other cars probably have third party parts and therefore cheaper to repair.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      03-01-2007 08:32 AM #7
      This is so stupid, for one I agree with everyone that the media just doesn't get it and equates low speed damage with safety. Nothing could be further from the truth, but it helps get your attention to watch their next sound byte.

Second, the automakers are subject to the double standard of needing to meet strict pedestrian safety requirements in Europe, while in the US they have these silly bumper tests. It goes to show you that the insurance industry is just concerned with profit profit profit and keeping their cost down, not keeping people safe. Dee Dee Dee!

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta GLI-F sold, 2012 Passat SEL VR6
      03-01-2007 08:42 AM #8
      ohh yeah i saw that on the news this morning ... wtf

9. 03-01-2007 09:37 AM #9
      That's what insurance is for, people.

10. 03-01-2007 09:39 AM #10
      I like how the picture that is attached to the article shows an Infiniti undergoing a 35 mph crash test. Nothing inflammatory there...
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      03-01-2007 10:21 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by GTINC »
      Also, this data was generated by the Insurance Industry. What do you think their interest is?

Huh? These guys are pretty reputable. You can give them a lot of credit for the high level of safety we see in today's cars. Remember the infamous Toyota Previa that failed every crash test they gave it? Toyota redesigned it and called it the "Sienna" and it then got great safety ratings.

They also compared today's cars to 25 year old cars and found that using the same test, cars from 25 years ago had little to no damage, costing no more than $500 to fix.

12. 03-01-2007 03:20 PM #12
      I know the mkV VW's are very safe cars, but when you're talking about 3/6 mph crashes, I don't think the main concern is serious injury? It just seemed to me a lot of money for little fender bender type accidents. Those speeds are about equivalent to a person walking fast.

I have an 88 fox and don't worry too much about 3/6 mph bumper damage to my car. Of course I only use liability so I try to drive pretty safe anyways.

Well, I'm still gonna get a GTI next year!

This is an article on how new cars are getting more expensive to fix which I thought was kinda related, but I guess we are in the age of 300 dollar keys...

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/....html

13. 03-01-2007 03:26 PM #13
      Don't forget that most modern cars are Uni-body,it's very expensive to fix unibody designs.

My tc got in a rear end collision with a car going maybe 30mph?
      14,000 dollars in damage.

warped quarter panel
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...9.JPG
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...0.JPG

wrecked impact bar, completely compressed.
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...3.JPG
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...4.JPG

Modified by johnle at 12:41 PM 3-1-2007

Vehicles
      08 Neon
      03-01-2007 03:46 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by johnle »
      Don't forget that most modern cars are Uni-body,it's very expensive to fix unibody designs.

My tc got in a rear end collision with a car going maybe 30mph?
      14,000 dollars in damage.

warped quarter panel
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...9.JPG
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...0.JPG

wrecked impact bar, completely compressed.
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...3.JPG
      http://www.alpha-q.org/~johnle...4.JPG

Modified by johnle at 12:41 PM 3-1-2007

wow...isn't that like 2k shy of a new TC? Total loss i assume

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      03-01-2007 04:04 PM #15
      I don't believe the MKV Jetta taking $9000 US in damages.

First, the Rabbit should not be that much different in design, so the cost should be similar. So if this is correct, every Rabbit that has a fender-bender in 3 years or so will be written off, given the depreciation from their $15-18K price tag.

Second, my mother's Passat was backed into by a delivery truck at a speed similar to this (maybe a little higher, since the truck was backing down a hill), and the damage was about $3500 Canadian, including the replacement of the HID (steering) headlights. There's no way that the repair cost on the Passat including those very expensive lights is less than half the repair cost of a Jetta.

The whole thing sounds like insurance injury b!tching.

16. 03-01-2007 04:10 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by MP413Racer »

wow...isn't that like 2k shy of a new TC? Total loss i assume

My car is worth 18,800 MSRP, so no total loss.

17. 03-01-2007 04:19 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by NewsJunkie »
      ....They also compared today's cars to 25 year old cars and found that using the same test, cars from 25 years ago had little to no damage, costing no more than $500 to fix.

...the car was fine but the anything they hit was dead.....

In a higher speed crash the occupants were dead.

You can't have it both ways...

Modified by cb1111 at 7:54 PM 3-1-2007

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Now: 12 S4 Then: 06 GLI, 04 R32, 96 Accord
      03-01-2007 04:20 PM #18

I think our final bill was like 6k? and that's just for one headlight, headlight washers, front bumper, side panel, and fog light assemblies... i think there were obviously other parts involved, but repairing these cars def is exp...

19. 03-01-2007 04:49 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by cb1111 »

...the car was fine but the anything they his was dead.....

Exactly! Insurance companies kill me. They raise premiums constantly, then whine and complain when they have to pay out. Excluding acts of God like hurricanes and the like, insurance is an extremely lucrative business yet the fat cats complain everytime they have to spend a penny. Ever had to fight with an insurance company? It's hell on earth to deal with them. They charge you ridiculous premiums and then nickel and dime you to death. I had to go to court to get my insurance to pay for a REAR END accident! Yes, that's right, I was REAR ENDED and I had to FIGHT to get them to pay. Think that's crazy? Ask around, many people have horror stories from insurance companies. I'm sure they would much prefer if the cars were more like 1960's vintage automobiles that were tanks but killed everyone in their path, including the drivers. Hey if everyone involved is dead then there isn't much of a medical payout now is there? Don't believe a damn word those insurance companies tell you, they're thieves and liars. Find me an honest insurance company and I'll be particularly surprised. State Farm makes me laugh with their commercials "Like a good neighbour State Farm is there." Yeah, they're around right up to the point where you actually need them, then they're not returning your calls, denying your claims and making you feel like a criminal who's trying to cheat them out of their money.

Absolutely ridiculous. Heavily financed "studies" like this are slanted so far in one direction I'm surprised the words stay on the page.

Just my two or three cents on the matter.

<end rant>.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      03-01-2007 07:04 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by desean81 »
      Find me an honest insurance company and I'll be particularly surprised.

Absolutely ridiculous. Heavily financed "studies" like this are slanted so far in one direction I'm surprised the words stay on the page.

I've been pretty happy with Economical this year. I've mentioned it in other threads, but I had a write-off this year, and a fender-bender (rear ended at somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3 mph ) and they were great with both claims. The payment was more than I thought I would get, and was about $3k more than a similar car would cost. In the case of being rear-ended, they were pretty easy to deal with, and the body shop that I chose to go to because of their reputation and manufacturer certifications turned out to a 'preferred' shop, so I didn't have to wait for an adjuster to double-check and cause arguments about coverage. I was able to get my Rabbit rear valence replaced with a GTI one because it was a much shorter wait to get the part, and Economical didn't say a peep about it.

As for the messed up report, yes, I think its BS on the part of the insurance industry. To me, they should be more reasonable when it comes to compensation, and the personal injury payments should be dramatically cut back. There are too many cases of fraud with that stuff. I don't see how people with a wrecked car can have a problem with an insurance company, but someone with no discernable injury can be compensated for their pain after the accident. In the case of my write-off, they went through a whole list of instances that I could claim for my pain from the accident. They were almost encouraging with their questions.

03-01-2007 07:14 PM #21

thats what happenbed to my 2000 golf at 50 km/h and me and my friend came out of the car without a scratch, the air bags didn't go off due to the bumper bar not being hit and yet we came out with no injuries

i don't care how much it cost to repair really, cuz it did its job and we weren't hurt.

now i was charged for DUI with drugs and my insurance is gonna **** me over even if the charges are dropped

22. 03-01-2007 07:55 PM #22
      Canada already uses these higher MPH crash tests... So thank god this report will not change our insurance.

23. 03-01-2007 08:14 PM #23
      This is great timing...I go in for a "Policy Review" tomorrow. My GF rolled my SVT, so I'm sure they're going to want to stick it to the rate on my GTI!!!! POS's...

24. 03-01-2007 08:36 PM #24

These safety issues bring with them a few annoyances. Things like:

windshield wipers under the hood with that funky service setting
      That odd looking trim piece at the top of the dash
      The flatter bumpers and flatter (and larger) grill
      Softer windshield glass
      Finally, the bumpers and body panels that dent if you look at them hard

All this adds up to more safety and increased repair costs...

The wipers are like that for aerodynamics, not safety. I don;t understand the body panel comment either, VAG panels are stiffer than just about any other foreign automaker, just go lean against a Corolla once.

Vehicles
      '04 Sienna '00 Golf '92 Miata '84 Bertone X1/9 '70 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe '69 Fiat 850 Sport Coup
      03-01-2007 08:44 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by blackvento36 »
      The wipers are like that for aerodynamics, not safety.

The aero is a side benefit (one could achieve the same thing by other means), the covered wipers are about pedestrian safety.

FIAT is back

26. 03-01-2007 08:45 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by blackvento36 »
      The wipers are like that for aerodynamics, not safety. I don;t understand the body panel comment either, VAG panels are stiffer than just about any other foreign automaker, just go lean against a Corolla once.

...the wipers under the hood are that way due to Euro safety regs - there are many other ways to increase aerodynamics over the hood/windshield that doesn't require burying the wipers.

I agree with you about the body panels, but I've heard lots of complaints here too...

27. 03-01-2007 08:46 PM #27
      Proof?

Vehicles
      2011 BMW 335is, 2009 Ford Flex
      03-01-2007 08:58 PM #28
      This was from a parking lot collision. My wife was going about 10-15 mph when a car came across in front of her also doing about 10-15 mph. Final bill was about 16K:

29. 03-01-2007 10:06 PM #29
      if that "pre" wasn't there that woulda been a nice picture

30. 03-01-2007 10:53 PM #30
      Pick up truck broad sided my wifes 2000 Jetta GLS. The pick up truck flipped over and my wife was not injured in the Jetta. Jetta was totaled now she is driving 04 Jetta GLS purchased new in 2004.

Very safe cars...

31. 03-01-2007 11:19 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Dashdog »
      This was from a parking lot collision. My wife was going about 10-15 mph when a car came across in front of her also doing about 10-15 mph. Final bill was about 16K:

How fitting, it says owned on the ground to the right of the car

Vehicles
      e46 m3
      03-01-2007 11:23 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by helgs »

How fitting, it says owned on the ground to the right of the car

haha! nice catch man! I cant believe its 9k from a 10mph accident but Is imagine the angle has alot to do with the damage repair.

33. 03-02-2007 11:28 AM #33
      I am not surprised. IO had little damage to the front. After all was done the invoice came up to $2500. And believe me this was a small damage. Something flew onto the car on the highway.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      03-02-2007 11:36 AM #34

...the car was fine but the anything they hit was dead.....

Modified by cb1111 at 7:54 PM 3-1-2007

Thanks for snarky reply.

Anyway, like I said before in this same thread, I'd rather have the car totalled and the occupants walk away scratch free. I just simply stated that older cars had less damage. I don't see where I asked to have it both ways. You made that up.

Vehicles
      '10 Passat Komfort, '11 CC Sport, '00 Passat GLX
      03-04-2007 08:38 AM #35

This is a little ridiculous. I'd like to see more information about the nature of the tests and just what work had to be done on the Jetta. Granted, you want a car to sacrifice itself in a crash to protect the occupants but at this speed, the occupants aren't at any real risk. If a car is nearly destroyed in a 6MPH test, it's obvious that it's going to crumple more quickly in a higher speed crash and thus offer drivers less protection.

It seems that the mk4 cars were rated as among the cheapest to repair in the equivalent tests of their time. However, they still managed to get excellent front-impact ratings. Obviously, the speed used in testing is a factor but I have to wonder if the methodology has been changed to account for the increased liklihood of being hit by a much higher SUV. In such cases, bumpers aren't going to match-up and most of the damage incurred will be in the body itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast