VWVortex.com - DIY Badgeless Honeycomb Grille Completed.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Badgeless Honeycomb Grille Completed.

1. 03-06-2007 04:21 PM #1
      This will be my first and likely last post in the MKV section. It’s nothing personal, I just don’t own one.
      I figure that in the end there are only a few kinds of people who will end up reading this, so please reference the handy dandy chart below to see where you fit in before you bother reading any further.
      Person 1.) You’re happy someone finally took the time to write this DIY, you appreciate the amount of time that went into this project and maybe one day you’ll take it upon yourself to give it a try.
      Well good for you! And when your own please don’t hesitate to pm with questions if you need to, I’m always happy to help a fellow DIY’er.
      Person 2.) You’re a multi-brazillion dollar company CEO and your’re looking for a sharp go-getter to handle your affairs in Europe, someone who can use a dremel and whittle away endless hours of company time thinking of big plastic things.
      PM me day or night, and I’ll gladly meet your private jet at the airport of your choice. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Person 3.) Oh my God that’s the grille I’ve been looking for!! I’m going to PM this guy and I’m sure he’ll make me one of my own for like 10 dollars!
      Please, don’t bother. I’m not trying to be a dick here but I took on this project as a favor to a friend of mine, and I easily have al least forty hours of labor into it, not to mention materials. So before you PM to make your dream grille make sure you have the following. 1. Two stocks grilles for the cutting. 2. A large sack of fifty dollar bills. If you don’t meet these two very specific criteria please just wait until someone decides to mass produce them, because I’m not your guy.
      On with the photos!!!
      The stock grille in question:

First thing I did was remove the emblem and this red stripe thingy.

Then I taped up the lower section of the grille to protect it from nicks, scratches and meteor strikes.

I think that the reason this isn’t a common DIY is because it’s frickin’ impossible. There are just SO MANY hurdles to jump that it’s just not worth it.
      One of the big issues is the fact that the grille honeycomb is VERY side specific. Notice that the hex’s and angled inward towards the grille that needs to be removed.
      Left side:

Right side:

So this means that there is no “center section” you can remove from your donor grille, you must fashion your own.
      The next really big problem is the pact that the entire piece is curved. A lot.

So what happens is that you end up trying to work straight lined pieces of your donor grille into a curved, directional area.
      Because I don’t actually own a MKV I had no vehicle to mock pieces up to, and so I tried to remain within the spaces previously defined by the factory piece. And so I would work very hard to retain this upper section where (I thought) the latch butted up against the grille.

Begin the cutting!!

And then mucho trimming with a razor blade. Seriously, I used razors extensively with this project, and I can’t believe that I didn’t end up driving myself to the hospital for stitches at least once or twice.
      Here’s the mostly trimmed area that would now need to be filled.

My jigsaw made quick work of the donor grille.

Although it bent my Turbo!!

The back of the donor pieces had this pain in the arse bulkhead thing that needed to be dremeled straight back to hell from whence they came!

I used this little hunk of paper to keep my hex pieces the same length, although only at first.

Happy little donor pieces assemble joyously….

I then marked my grille for center so I could keep everything aligned.

Although I ended up using a long strip of straight paper so I could better visualize how things were progressing.

Getting one line to line up with another is difficult. Trying to get 400 lines to fall into place seamlessly kept me up at night rocking myself to sleep, and is way more difficult than these pictures make it out to be.
      Now there were two!

Holding all this stuff together turned out to be a real pain. Here’s a small pic of just a few of the glues I tried.

And now the two were one!!

Bit of filler.

This big gaping half-circular wound at the bottom of the grille is left when the factory emblem is removed. The problem was that if I left it like that when you looked through the grille the back edge would be uneven.

So I cut a piece of ABS to fit, filled and sanded.

Fitting

Sanding

Even without filling, the fit was really nice. This was only because of the MASSIVE amounts of time that went into getting it just right.

Removing this thing.

Going…

Gone!

Paint

Painting

My hoopty! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emlove.gif[/IMG]

The money shot. Check it out, you can make out my crotch in the reflection. Thank God I was wearing pants for a change!

And a few detail shots.

I’ll try to answer questions as best I can, but remember, before you post or PM me please check the chart at the top of the page.

Moderator Edit: Unfortunately, I was unable to add the PDF to this post as promissed below. It's too large to be uploaded to these servers. As time passes, links are broken and images lost. However, you can send me a PM and I'll be glad to send you a copy of the PDF personally if this is the case.

Modified by svander at 4:07 PM 3-6-2007
      Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I've posted a more involved thread on my own home site, so if you have any questions you may want to check there before you attempt this yourself.
      The site itself is mostly a private by invite only affair, but the DIY section is left public for viewing. You can check it out, along with some other wacky DIY's here.
      http://www.eurosportundergroun...18257

Modified by steffenme1 at 6:15 PM 3-6-2007

Vehicles
      2016 Touareg
      03-06-2007 04:24 PM #2
      Nice writeup! Thanks.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

3. 03-06-2007 04:25 PM #3
      what does it look like with the hood close.....i would imagine it would look funny

Modified by jc@douglas at 1:29 PM 3-6-2007

03-06-2007 04:31 PM #4
      Freakin' AWESOME!

I don't know if I'm confident enough to tackle this project!

Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat
      03-06-2007 04:36 PM #5
      very nice. That is awesome. well done. great craftsmanship. Ok im done

6. 03-06-2007 04:37 PM #6
      Awesome [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Truth is the light / Never give up the fight. -Bob Marley

Vehicles
      2012 Audi A3 TDI
      03-06-2007 04:38 PM #7
      very nice

Vehicles
      2006 VW Mk5 GTI
      03-06-2007 04:40 PM #8
      beautiful piece of work. did a very good job.

Vehicles
      List my car(s) owned here
      03-06-2007 04:42 PM #9
      For anyone that's doing the math:
      40 hours X $50/hour = $2,000
      awesome work!!!!
      jetta badgless.... hmmmmm

10. Banned
      03-06-2007 04:45 PM #10
      Wow. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

11. 03-06-2007 04:49 PM #11
      looks like great work man [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      i wish i had the pacients to actualy do that becuase i like the look so much.
      i love to DIY because i have always been hands on but im the guy that would rather buy that.

12. 03-06-2007 04:54 PM #12
      great work! cant wait to see what it looks like on the car [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

13. Member
      Vehicles
      07 GTI
      03-06-2007 04:56 PM #13
      hey that looks pretty good nice work/diy

14. 03-06-2007 05:26 PM #14
      one helluva job man, looks good. can't wait to see what it looks like on the car

15. 03-06-2007 05:30 PM #15
      Great handskills and monk- esque work ethic....
      We're glad you've decided to use your powers for good (vs. evil).
      Betcha didn't know you had a twin who does interior work in Auburn, AL.
      I had to leave while he was working on my car -- it took all my strength not to grab the job out of his hands and turn it into a useless hunk of plastic. My 15 min job took 5 hours, dozens of razor blades and three "why aren't you home yet?!" calls from his wife.
      Can't wait to see your next project.
      BTW: If you can source sheets of black Aluminum Honeycomb (tight weave - like this type) -- I've got a product you can make some good $$ cranking out in your Underoos.

16. 03-06-2007 05:37 PM #16
      Absolutely amazing work. Can't wait to see the installed pictures.
      Quote, originally posted by jc@douglas »
      what does it look like with the hood close.....i would imagine it would look funny

Modified by jc@douglas at 1:29 PM 3-6-2007

I'm sure they'll get the filler piece for the notch in the hood, so it won't look funny. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      '11 S4
      03-06-2007 05:39 PM #17
      WOW. I'll be adding this to the FAQ shortly and adding PDF attachment to original post for preservation purposes if the OP doesn't mind.
      Great work!!

Vehicles
      2014 Subaru Forester
      03-06-2007 05:42 PM #18
      You are literally insane... you have more patience than I could ever muster. I would have melted that thing into a ball by the end.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW GTI 6MT
      03-06-2007 05:43 PM #19
      wow nice work
      but i dont fit into any of those 3 categories and still felt the need to read the whole thing

20. 03-06-2007 05:44 PM #20
      It was feeling like a bad night in Bosnia as I read thru this thread.
      Excellent Job ..

21. 03-06-2007 05:47 PM #21
      Awesome work. I hope your buddy paid you, at least in beer [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] I started on my badgeless honeycomb grille about a month ago and it's not even close to being done It's alot harder than it looks.

22. 03-06-2007 05:48 PM #22
      yea i wanna see it on the car!

Vehicles
      '12 JSW SE, 01 Jetta WB, '10 Passat Komfortwagon
      03-06-2007 06:07 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by pootey »
      yea i wanna see it on the car!

me too [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      That looks like a lot of work you put into it, the end reult looks real good.
      Flickr :: jschusteritsch.com::Facebook
      Quote Originally Posted by Throttle_Inc View Post
      I believe there's a Vortex Action Set that you can download somewhere that lowers all cars in photos by about 140%.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      03-06-2007 06:17 PM #24
      great job,i think you are the first in the states to make one [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      wanna make mine$$$$

Modified by nastybags at 9:18 PM 3-6-2007

25. 03-06-2007 06:26 PM #25
      I'm about halfway done with mine... I wanna see pics on a car!!!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast