Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 155 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: DIRRRRTY DENIM

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      04-13-2007 01:18 PM #36
      Quote, originally posted by skizzott »
      Just soaked my STFs. Bought em just to 'play' with, soak em, shrink em, whatever....anyway, soaked em and what seemed to be ALOT of color came off. They are still laying in the tub, I just let the water drain out while they laid there. Gonna let em sit for a while before hanging them up to dry and seeing how they turn out.

why did you soak them?

2. Senior Member
      04-13-2007 01:32 PM #37
      Denim bar doesnt know too much about APC's..
      they told me they fit true to size.. I wouldnt go by what they say.

Im just warning you, if you hem them 3", they may shrink another inch or two.. and your stuck with man capri's.

Skizzott your Levis are ruined. *next*

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      04-13-2007 01:40 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by steez »
      Denim bar doesnt know too much about APC's..
      they told me they fit true to size.. I wouldnt go by what they say.

Im just warning you, if you hem them 3", they may shrink another inch or two.. and your stuck with man capri's.

Skizzott your Levis are ruined. *next*

I knew to size down on them... What do you reccomend I do then? They are way too long to wear, even with stacking them its too big a stack...

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      04-13-2007 02:24 PM #39
      thats one of the main reasons why i don't have a pair of APC's. i'm 5'9" and wear my jeans at the hip, they'd be way too long and i hate non-original hems.

cuso, sick deal but i would've gotten a pair of nudies, just MHO.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      04-13-2007 02:36 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by monosylabik »
      thats one of the main reasons why i don't have a pair of APC's. i'm 5'9" and wear my jeans at the hip, they'd be way too long and i hate non-original hems.

cuso, sick deal but i would've gotten a pair of nudies, just MHO.

I can send them back as long as I don't put them on again, I may just do that...

6. 04-13-2007 03:15 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by BMPCUSO.T »

I knew to size down on them... What do you reccomend I do then? They are way too long to wear, even with stacking them its too big a stack...

Play some basketball. Oh wait, you're too old to keep growing.

My advice is don't actually hem them as much as you're saying you would. Go for 1.5-2" longer than what you wanted to hem them. Ain't nothing wrong with a slight cuff. The cuff you posted is redonkdiculous.

Why'd you get them if you know APCs are 34", for the most part? Measure before you buy.

NEW YORK KNICKS

7. Senior Member
      04-13-2007 03:21 PM #42

BMP: With any, and every raw jean, your going to have to settle with 2" longer than your used to. because when you wash it will shrink.. you dont want to risk high-water $200 jeans.

Mono.. why do you hate them?
      I get mine done at the cleaners and its an exact replica of the oem hem.. maybe you want to try another tailor.

8. 04-13-2007 03:22 PM #43
      That's what I'm talking about, steez.

Brook Ave. cleaners, FTW. Chinos.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      04-13-2007 03:25 PM #44
      Drizzle, all they offered was 34" inseams on any of the Raw denims. I agree those stacks look silly that big.

Steez, I figured 1-2" hem and leave them 2" longer than my normal inseam. Like I said am typically a 29-30" inseam, so having them hemmed to a true 32" inseam if they shrink an inch to a 31" no biggie they will still be long, but they are stupid long right now.

We have a very good tailor here that will use the original hem, whose work is very good. I unfortunately didn't have the time to use her on my 7fams and the tailored messed them up...

10. 04-13-2007 03:28 PM #45
      Drizzle, all they offered was 34" inseams on any of the Raw denims. I agree those stacks look silly that big.

That's what I'm saying. If you normally don't wear 34"L, when why now? Especially with you saying you have short legs. I wouldn't have ordered them in that case.

Try on some Nudies, like momo suggested.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      04-13-2007 03:38 PM #46
      Quote, originally posted by Dreizehn »

That's what I'm saying. If you normally don't wear 34"L, when why now? Especially with you saying you have short legs. I wouldn't have ordered them in that case.

Try on some Nudies, like momo suggested.

I've only seen nudies in 34" inseams too...

I actually really liked the fit of the jean, just nead a hem, I dont see the big deal with it....

12. 04-13-2007 03:41 PM #47
      In that case, you're better off with your APCs. Get them hemmed, just don't go crazy. Who cares about the original hem anyway? It's personal preference. And like steez said, his looked the same so why trip about it? Go for it.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      04-13-2007 03:51 PM #48
      In that case, you're better off with your APCs. Get them hemmed, just don't go crazy. Who cares about the original hem anyway? It's personal preference. And like steez said, his looked the same so why trip about it? Go for it.

Exactly, I can get original hems, and the only people who will notice are denim junkies...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      04-13-2007 04:05 PM #49

why did you soak them?

Just to see what would happen. Didn't want to experiment with my APC's, so I figured the Levi's were cheap enough to ruin.

15. Senior Member
      04-13-2007 04:06 PM #50
      Yeah. Dont rely on the inseam measurements tho..

APC's are mid rise..

so say.. a jean with:

10" rise and 34" length = 44" total length
      12" rise and 32" length = 44 total length
      14" rise and 30" length = 44" total length

cuff them to where you want them and have the tailor take over from there..

my APC's were hemmed 2" as well..

16. 04-13-2007 04:20 PM #51
      No hemming, FTW.
      NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      2012 Volkswagen GLI, 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit
      04-13-2007 04:55 PM #52
      this may be REALLY stupid of me...but, why don't you wash your jeans? whats the benefit of not washing them and wearing them so many times?

18. 04-13-2007 05:00 PM #53
      Quote, originally posted by sej683s »
      this may be REALLY stupid of me...but, why don't you wash your jeans? whats the benefit of not washing them and wearing them so many times?

They end up developing natural creases due to wearing-down. Fading as well, which will look cool, depending on your style. Go google or wiki, I'm sure you'll find something.

ND sucks.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      04-13-2007 05:04 PM #54

They end up developing natural creases due to wearing-down. Fading as well, which will look cool, depending on your style. Go google or wiki, I'm sure you'll find something.

oh that makes sense. i asked the resident girl here at work and she didnt know either.

nd sucks

damnit, man!

20. 04-13-2007 06:20 PM #55
      nudies come in a 30, 32, and 34 inseam... im not positive on the 30, but pretty sure. soo im not sure why you havent seen anything besides 34s.

as far as hemming, that is up to you, but make sure it is right or else you have messed up a pair of nice denim. also, there is no such thing as too much stacking you could just double cuff them?!

well, i dont have any problem w/ jeans being too long cuz im a string bean, but my next pair of dry denim will be a 35 or 37 inch inseam

21. 04-13-2007 06:49 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by steez »

BMP: With any, and every raw jean, your going to have to settle with 2" longer than your used to. because when you wash it will shrink.. you dont want to risk high-water $200 jeans.

Mono.. why do you hate them?
      I get mine done at the cleaners and its an exact replica of the oem hem.. maybe you want to try another tailor.

apc are sanforized so they won't shrink much after the wash. the strange thing about them is that they come true to size but they stretch a lot. thats why people size down 2 sizes cause they know they will stretch in few days.

any good tailor will hem them for you and they will look just like before. i say hem them enough so you dont have to cuff (unless you like to have a cuff all the time)

22. 04-13-2007 07:02 PM #57
      Quote, originally posted by mike p »

apc are sanforized so they won't shrink much after the wash. the strange thing about them is that they come true to size but they stretch a lot. thats why people size down 2 sizes cause they know they will stretch in few days.

any good tailor will hem them for you and they will look just like before. i say hem them enough so you dont have to cuff (unless you like to have a cuff all the time)

yeah, thats another thing... i noticed a couple people soaking jeans that dont need to be soaked for any reason other than cleaning dirt off of them, but they are brand new or hardly even worn. sanforized denim (what most dry denim that yall speak of is) will not shrink more than like 2% when soaked, which is hardly noticeable, but it will stretch way more than that with normal wear.

not to sound rude or anything, but i think some of yall hopped on the dry denim bandwagon w/o knowing anything about it. there is tons of info about dry denim on superfuture and there is all the info you would ever need to know... like what needs to be soaked, what different kind of denims there are, the affects from soaking, the different things you can do to maintain denim, etc. i just find it funny that several people on here have bought dry denim because they saw it on here, yet seem to only have bought it cuz it is sort of a new 'trend'.

well, im done ranting... i just wanted to get that out there

23. Senior Member
      04-13-2007 07:06 PM #58
      Quote, originally posted by mike p »

I confused them with STF's on the length thing. But either way.. I wouldnt hem to a perfect fit knowing they can shrink.. Id cry if they were ruined heheh

24. 04-13-2007 07:26 PM #59
      Quote, originally posted by dub-ghord »

not to sound rude or anything, but i think some of yall hopped on the dry denim bandwagon w/o knowing anything about it. there is tons of info about dry denim on superfuture and there is all the info you would ever need to know... like what needs to be soaked, what different kind of denims there are, the affects from soaking, the different things you can do to maintain denim, etc. i just find it funny that several people on here have bought dry denim because they saw it on here, yet seem to only have bought it cuz it is sort of a new 'trend'.

You're not ranting. I agree with you. I think it's pretty evident from some of the latest posts around here...but of course, since I'm a nice guy, I won't say any names.

But what do I know. Let me get back to soaking my Fubus and Karl Kani's...

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      04-13-2007 07:32 PM #60

so, is that the look you are going for? sorry, cant see any other pics here at work... i guess i just dont get it. the OP's look good IMO, but these just don't look right how they fall on his shoes/etc. im pretty much as much out of the fashion loop as it gets tho.

O <---fashion loop me--->I

26. 04-13-2007 07:35 PM #61
      That's what many people in here dress like. It's a style. I certainly don't agree with it but it's all relative to each person, so I've come to understand that. So should you.

Now that I got that out of the way: I think it looks goofy as hell when someone has on tight jeans and big-ass feet popping out. Although, try saying that on superfuture and they will eat you alive. I guess you have to live that lifestyle.

NEW YORK KNICKS

27. 04-13-2007 08:35 PM #62

yeah, thats another thing... i noticed a couple people soaking jeans that dont need to be soaked for any reason other than cleaning dirt off of them, but they are brand new or hardly even worn. sanforized denim (what most dry denim that yall speak of is) will not shrink more than like 2% when soaked, which is hardly noticeable, but it will stretch way more than that with normal wear.

well, im done ranting... i just wanted to get that out there

I'd venture to say that 95% of the people here, on Superfuture, etc didn't know what the hell selvedge was until this year. Does it matter? Not really. And what is there to 'know' about dry denim? I'm not gonna hate on the people who starch their jeans or anything like that, but raw denim is so simple yet people make it so freaking complicated. Buy your jeans, and wear the f*ck out of them. It doesn't get much more simple than that.

Anyways, I really need to take pics of my Straight Svens. I've worn them about 6 days/week since August and they stink, but they are starting to show some nice wear. I might starch them a couple of times and finally wash them. It's time to move onto my next project - APC Hipsters. But its true what they say.. raw denim becomes like a second skin of sorts. My SSDS fit me so freaking perfectly and it sounds weird but I consider them a part of me. Now if I could only find a camera...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      04-13-2007 11:34 PM #63
      To counter the rant on people buying raw denim because it's a "trend", I give you the definition of trend - "the general course or prevailing tendency". So by you saying that people are buying it because it's the new trend, well, that's kind of an obvious statement, by buying it we are making it the trend.......hope that made sense. Anyways the one thing I hate is when someone decides to do something and someone else who knows more about it than that first person, they act all high and mighty like they not only know it all, but they've always known it (never had to learn or ask these questions themselves)...

I guarantee that everything anyone in this forum has worn has been worn before. So does that mean you are just copying someone else? Sorry, just hate it when I'm in a forum, regardless of topic, and when someone asks a question others jump on them for not knowing. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure there was a time that you all didn't know what raw denim was either. We are all here to teach and subsequently learn.

29. Senior Member
      04-13-2007 11:53 PM #64
      I commend those for venturing outside the box

30. 04-14-2007 12:07 AM #65
      I commend skizzot on a fantastic speech. Two thumbs up.
      NEW YORK KNICKS

31. 04-14-2007 12:45 AM #66
      Quote, originally posted by skizzott »
      To counter the rant on people buying raw denim because it's a "trend", I give you the definition of trend - "the general course or prevailing tendency". So by you saying that people are buying it because it's the new trend, well, that's kind of an obvious statement, by buying it we are making it the trend.......hope that made sense. Anyways the one thing I hate is when someone decides to do something and someone else who knows more about it than that first person, they act all high and mighty like they not only know it all, but they've always known it (never had to learn or ask these questions themselves)...

I guarantee that everything anyone in this forum has worn has been worn before. So does that mean you are just copying someone else? Sorry, just hate it when I'm in a forum, regardless of topic, and when someone asks a question others jump on them for not knowing. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure there was a time that you all didn't know what raw denim was either. We are all here to teach and subsequently learn.

well played sir... but im not saying i know everything. i just think some people jumped into it rather quickly without knowing a few things first.

32. 04-14-2007 01:01 AM #67
      what do they need to know though? raw denim > washed denim. simple as that.

33. 04-14-2007 01:07 AM #68
      Quote, originally posted by Cameronstein »
      what do they need to know though? raw denim > washed denim. simple as that.

not all dry denim needs to be soaked is one of the things that comes to mind

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      04-14-2007 01:13 AM #69

well played sir... but im not saying i know everything. i just think some people jumped into it rather quickly without knowing a few things first.

I hear you, but some people learned to swim by being thrown in the deep end of the pool, and it's going to happen in every facet of life. We just have to be patient and pull those out that jump in on their own before learning to swim.

**I think I used that metaphor quite well, and after reading it was quite suprised I still have the ability to think this late into a Friday evening***

Anyway, I looked at the STFs and colorwise they look fine, and from visually looking at them and holding up to my body, they don't seem to have shrunk one bit!! Funny thing, they are stiff as hell now. Stiffer than my APCs were new. I'm going to buy another pair tomorrow to compare color side by side. Again, just kind of learning and playing around with some cheapies. I really like the 'sheen' of the raw denim, so I'm curious to see a side by side difference.

To all, the weekend is upon us!!

35. 04-14-2007 02:23 AM #70
      ok i'm probably going to get totally flamed here after reading all these posts (or maybe not?) but, first i thank everyone for the info, i've read it all and i'm learning. i accidentilly bought some sort of raw denim i think today, nothing special just some 501's, but i found them online as being "raw" so....i dont know what to do.they're not skin tight, actually perfectly comfy, and i'm totally down to not wash em as long as they stay rigid.

my question is with levis, since they're cheaper jeans ($36 on salee to be exact) do i need to follow such strict guidelines? soaking right away or something? i've even read about people showering with them on and letting them dry on them to dry to their body. im not planning on washing and drying them, maybe a warm wash followed by some starch and air drying once every 2 weeks? i just hate when jeans get saggy. thanks guys, all the info is really good

Modified by PlaiDub at 10:24 PM 4-13-2007

Page 2 of 155 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast