Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 155 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: DIRRRRTY DENIM

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      04-14-2007 01:43 AM #71
      i agree with dub-ghord and cam separately. what i think is wrong is the bigger picture - limited shoes, raw denim, rare shirts/"big" small companies, etc etc. people are jumping on this because kids who are doing it are getting hyped up and dudes are feeling left out. it's amazing to see all these guys have multiple pairs of raw denim over the course of a few months, when before they were wearing cargos and old navy tees. it's the drastic change that's got me thinking... i'm absolutely not calling anyone out here, i just believe there's a big difference between following a trend and being a poseur.

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      04-14-2007 01:52 AM #72
      Quote, originally posted by sej683s »

so, is that the look you are going for? sorry, cant see any other pics here at work... i guess i just dont get it. the OP's look good IMO, but these just don't look right how they fall on his shoes/etc. im pretty much as much out of the fashion loop as it gets tho.

that picture isn't me, it's my buddy. he likes his **** skinny and can pull it off. i don't think anyones got a chiller style than him.

cuso - if you can get an original style hem then do it! i've only been to one place long ago and they royally ****ed me.

04-14-2007 02:24 AM #73
      i've always been a fan of heavyweight/stiff denim, i just was never really able to come into contact with anything other than STF's. i knew about selvedge, but not much, and i really didn;t know anything about soaking or not washing or whatever. i just always hated paper thin denim, and levi's are the only jeans that i really like the fit.

the fact the denim is 'trendier' means it's more accessible, which is both a good and a bad thing.

i still don;t know a ton about denim, and i really don;t give a ****. i know how i like my pants to fit, and i'm starting to venture out and try different companies because i can find them, now. :shrug:

but don;t get me started on the nike/"shoe-game" bull****.

Vehicles
      2012 Volkswagen GLI, 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit
      04-14-2007 10:06 AM #74
      Quote, originally posted by monosylabik »

that picture isn't me, it's my buddy. he likes his **** skinny and can pull it off. i don't think anyones got a chiller style than him.

Quote, originally posted by Dreizehn »
      That's what many people in here dress like. It's a style. I certainly don't agree with it but it's all relative to each person, so I've come to understand that. So should you.

i wasnt knocking the dude. i was just trying to clarify that that was what people were going for. i really dont care how people dress, im just trying to "broaden my horizons". honestly, that dude reminds me of what guys dressed like in europe while i was growing up/living there. but thats just because we got the 80's late and people in the east didnt even get jeans until like 1990

dreizehn, i also agree with you on the shoes thing. i wear a 12 and i am pretty picky about how my jeans lay on my shoes. i could NEVER pull that style off.

5. Senior Member
      04-14-2007 10:36 AM #75
      Id wear those Levis till you cant anymore then throw em out..
      In my experience they turn to **** when washed... think mid-west fashion

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      04-14-2007 01:51 PM #76
      I read about Selvage denim for about a month. I had bought some 7fam washed and Diesel Washed designer jeans. I had then gone out and bought a pair of GAP selvage 1969's and instantly could feel a difference in the Jean so I decided that I wanted to check out a little higher quality raw denim. I spent 3 hours Sunday night browing the internet, wiki, and a few different websites for sizing/pricing etc. I decided on the APC's for a few reasons.

Price compared to Nudies. I paid just short over $100 for my APCs and worst case scenario they don't work or fit I take the $100 loss or sell them for a smaller loss.

I got a 20% discount and the store seems reputable and has a 14 day return policy on the Jeans. I could always upgrade to the more expensive Nudies.

The moment I took the APC's out of the box I knew I made the right choice, the quality is just awesome, and for $30 more than my GAPs are well worth it.

I never had heard of Raw Selvage Dry denim until I came here, no doubt about that, but I am someone who takes very good care of his things, if you saw the paint on my 5 year old GTI you would know how ANAL I am about taking care of things I spend money on.

I'm keeping them, getting them hemmed 1.5-2" and worst case scenario I won't be able to stack them which is ok with me, i'm still on the fence about the stacked look for my style.

Going car shopping, have a great weekend everyone...

7. 04-14-2007 06:04 PM #77
      thanks steez. one more question-will starching stiffen normal jeans like bullheads and all that? (sorry, a bit off topic)

Vehicles
      05 X5, 01 GTI VR6
      04-15-2007 12:12 AM #78
      i love my express m11 jeans...perfect fit IMO. just washed my buffalo jeans for the first time and THOSE fit incredible lol
      flickr | X5 | 15degreeGTI | M3 (sold) | The Original (_fishbowl society_) - PM me or CrayonBox

9. 04-15-2007 12:32 AM #79
      Quote, originally posted by PlaiDub »
      thanks steez. one more question-will starching stiffen normal jeans like bullheads and all that? (sorry, a bit off topic)

yes it will... but from personal experience, thinner denim + starch = nasty... but its personal preference. alot of people who starch their dry denim only starch the back of the knees, the lap area, and sometimes the cuffs... but that is because they dont get washed, so the starch sets in and helps define the creases better.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      04-15-2007 11:10 AM #80
      Here's a comparison for you of my soaked 501s and the ones i just bought. I tried on the 501s I soaked and they barely shrunk and only at the waist area. Lost no length. They will look a bit bigger in these pics than the new ones I bought because i bought them a size smaller this time.

They lost sheen, but the color looks a bit of a darker indigo? It's hard to explain, so here are few crappy pics I took last night with my cell phone:

New ones are on Top:

New to the right:

I think I won a prize, my red tag on the back pocket has no "Levis" on it:

Modified by skizzott at 8:12 AM 4-15-2007

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      04-15-2007 11:58 AM #81
      damn... they look like western world wranglers now. please don't soak the new ones.

12. Senior Member
      04-15-2007 12:02 PM #82
      people are jumping on this because kids who are doing it are getting hyped up and dudes are feeling left out. it's amazing to see all these guys have multiple pairs of raw denim over the course of a few months, when before they were wearing cargos and old navy tees. it's the drastic change that's got me thinking... i'm absolutely not calling anyone out here, i just believe there's a big difference between following a trend and being a poseur.

13. 04-15-2007 01:39 PM #83
      yea, im not gonna be soaking em any time soon, i'll probably starch em. fer $35 i might as well just go buy another pair if they get too loose. i'm gonna wear em all this week and see how they are next weekend.

to touch on the trend thing though, i must admit it is a kind of cool thing to stumble upon, for me just the interest in how the jeans age and stuff makes me want to invest in a nice pair of selvedged or raw denim next year. who knows, thanks for the comparrison though, and all the help!

04-15-2007 03:40 PM #84
      damn... they look like western world wranglers now. please don't soak the new ones.

i think it's just the pics.

they pretty much should look a shade or two darker, and they lose that 'sheen'.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      04-15-2007 11:40 PM #85
      Quote, originally posted by Underpants »

i think it's just the pics.

they pretty much should look a shade or two darker, and they lose that 'sheen'.

Exactly. Here are two pics of them on me. You really can't tell which are which, except in the pic with the old (soaked) ones on, you can see the new ones on the bed. I won't be soaking the new ones, but I can definitely still wear the old ones.....

I can barely tell with these pics, but the other pics do make the old ones look pretty bad. They still seem to have a very little bit of sheen and seem darker. These pics were taken in direct sunlight in front of the window while the ones above were taken on the other side of the bed in less light.

Modified by skizzott at 8:42 PM 4-15-2007

16. 04-16-2007 08:35 AM #86
      I don't like the fit of those too much, at least not that size. They look too big to me.

What size are the new ones? They definitely look better than the old/soaked ones, color-wise.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      2012 Golf
      04-16-2007 11:30 AM #87
      The old are a 35 waist, the new are a 34. It's a really bad angle, because I took the pic with my cell phone holding it out in front of me to get the pic. They look pretty decent from straight on. I have pretty big thighs, and a 34w is cutting it pretty close to not fitting, need them to stretch a little, which they did when I wore them for a few hours Sat night.

Modified by skizzott at 8:31 AM 4-16-2007

18. 04-16-2007 12:23 PM #88
      Quote, originally posted by skizzott »
      The old are a 35 waist, the new are a 34. It's a really bad angle, because I took the pic with my cell phone holding it out in front of me to get the pic. They look pretty decent from straight on. I have pretty big thighs, and a 34w is cutting it pretty close to not fitting, need them to stretch a little, which they did when I wore them for a few hours Sat night.

Modified by skizzott at 8:31 AM 4-16-2007

pretty much all dry denim will stretch a good bit, so that 34 should fit you perfect after a couple weeks of wear. most people size down from their 'true waist' size, but after a few weeks of wear they fit perfectly.

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      04-23-2007 09:50 PM #89
      updated...

i washed them 5 months to the day of the first wear . washed on warm/hot, hung dry... i couldn't take the baggyness anymore, but alas they are still big.

here's the result.

Modified by monosylabik at 10:58 AM 6-28-2008

Vehicles
      2000 Maxima GLE/1987 300TD
      04-23-2007 10:30 PM #90
      Quote, originally posted by PlaiDub »
      ok i'm probably going to get totally flamed here after reading all these posts (or maybe not?) but, first i thank everyone for the info, i've read it all and i'm learning. i accidentilly bought some sort of raw denim i think today, nothing special just some 501's, but i found them online as being "raw" so....i dont know what to do.they're not skin tight, actually perfectly comfy, and i'm totally down to not wash em as long as they stay rigid.

my question is with levis, since they're cheaper jeans ($36 on salee to be exact) do i need to follow such strict guidelines? soaking right away or something? i've even read about people showering with them on and letting them dry on them to dry to their body. im not planning on washing and drying them, maybe a warm wash followed by some starch and air drying once every 2 weeks? i just hate when jeans get saggy. thanks guys, all the info is really good

Modified by PlaiDub at 10:24 PM 4-13-2007

i did the same thing as you. i found some nice levis that are pretty dark, heavier, and fairly rigid. i got em in january or february, i forget actually, but i've been wearing them almost constantly going back and forth between the two pairs. the honeycomb is staying creased pretty well and the one i wore in a downpour and got some funky fading where the stuff in my pockets was. may not be real 'dry denim' but i figure for less than $40 why not. and i never washed my jeans before cause i didn't like how they felt right after i washed them. so it wasn't much of a change. two questions though. 1. what is 'stacking'. and 2. how do yall fold your jeans?

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      04-23-2007 11:39 PM #91
      stacking is how the pant leg falls on your shoe... basically the shin area and it's creases - unimportant. with the correct length or hem it'll look fine.

when i take my jeans off, i throw them on the floor, on my computer chair, over a door, whatever. i really don't do anything.

Vehicles
      04-23-2007 11:44 PM #92
      yeah, i was only really asking about the folding because i saw a thread on superfuture (i was avoiding writing a paper) and there's a big thing about people folding jeans. i didn't think it was that big of an issue..but apparently it is to some

23. 04-23-2007 11:47 PM #93
      Quote, originally posted by twerked »
      yeah, i was only really asking about the folding because i saw a thread on superfuture (i was avoiding writing a paper) and there's a big thing about people folding jeans. i didn't think it was that big of an issue..but apparently it is to some

yeah, some people over there go all out...but i usually just throw them on the floor, or i have a hook on my closet door that i hang them on if i feel like it... it helps air them out, and i have an ant problem in my apartment, so i dont want any surprises when i put them on in the morning

Vehicles
      04-23-2007 11:53 PM #94
      goo..that's no fun. i just toss them up on the top shelf of my closet. although they fall down on my head a lot when i open it up in the morning...easier to pick what pair i'm wearing when i'm groggy...haha

25. 05-22-2007 02:03 AM #95
      back from the dead...

i just febrezed and starched my nudies. the crotch area was startin to smell like bootay they are startin to show some serious wear. im on 4 months now, so by the time school starts back for fall semester, ill probably give them a wash.

26. 05-22-2007 08:02 AM #96
      Does pwned count?

NEW YORK KNICKS

27. Member
      05-25-2007 10:20 PM #97
      Here's are my Nudie RRDS. Had them since Feb, been wearing them about three times a week (the corporate world sucks)

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      05-28-2007 07:52 PM #98
      APC Hipsters about 6 weeks so far, not enough wear, finally stretched & comfy though...

Front

Back

29. 05-28-2007 08:10 PM #99
      ^ Those things look brand new.

Look kinda weird to me from the knee down...like they just bulge out of nowhere.

Nice rug.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      05-28-2007 08:12 PM #100
      ^ Those things look brand new.

Look kinda weird to me from the knee down...like they just bulge out of nowhere.

Nice rug.

I def don't get to wear them enough....

Yeah its partly angle of the pic + being too long for my short legs...

Thanks for the rug compliment though, lol...

31. 05-29-2007 09:31 AM #101
      Cool.

old / new

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      RIP 2002 JTI
      05-29-2007 10:39 AM #102
      same cut on the new ones Dreiz? sorry i've been slacking on the thin finn pics, i'll get them up soon.

33. Member
      05-29-2007 10:46 AM #103
      Cool.

old / new

or puke stained / non puke stained

34. 05-29-2007 11:23 AM #104
      same cut on the new ones Dreiz? sorry i've been slacking on the thin finn pics, i'll get them up soon.

Yea, same.

Word, post.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      05-29-2007 10:46 PM #105
      Selling my APC's $80 shipped in the 48, worn a few times, barely broken in, they are just too long and I ordered some Nudies last night.

32x34 APC Hipsters.

Modified by MochaMike at 10:58 PM 5-29-2007

Page 3 of 155 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast