Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How do you know if your flywheel is bad?

1. 03-26-2007 07:43 AM #1
      Can anyone tell me the common symptoms of a damaged flywheel?

Ive been having rough idle problems for a long time, recently had the clutch replaced, cleaned the carbon out of the engine, and did my 40k service - however im still having problems. Seems now the problem isnt just at idle, its running rough in all gears. Dead stop to start/reverse - the car shudders.

Looking at it from the outside, you can see the front wheels shake back and forth like it wants to go forwards and backwards at the same time.

So long story short, the mechanic says that im dealing with a bad flywheel. It has too much play and this is causing a wabbling effect in my transmission, making the rough idle and engaging/disengaging the clutch on its own.

Does this seem right to anyone?

just wanted some outside opinions before I cough up the dough to replace a part that I may not need to replace.

Thanks

2. 03-26-2007 09:49 AM #2
      If the flywheel has any "play" in it, I'd imagine that's a BIG problem, either the bolts are backing out or the center portion is damaged/cracked.

I'm no expert, but could REALLY f'd up main bearings cause a similar symptom? Maybe someone else could chime in, I'm just trying to provide some ideas.

3. 03-26-2007 12:56 PM #3
      I have a stock Dual mass FW with 40K miles on it......u can have it if u want it, just pay shipping. The FW is not damaged, i simply upgraded to a LW FW and stronger clutch. Let me know if u want it. Not sure if it will do u any good, but u never know.

4. 03-26-2007 03:17 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by anon_az »
      If the flywheel has any "play" in it, I'd imagine that's a BIG problem, either the bolts are backing out or the center portion is damaged/cracked.

I'm no expert, but could REALLY f'd up main bearings cause a similar symptom? Maybe someone else could chime in, I'm just trying to provide some ideas.

Well the dealer i took it to said it was something in the transmission (they suspect the flywheel) but I wouldnt authorize the 1800 they quoted me to pull it out to check/repair it.

So i took it to a local mechanic i know and after some investigation he concluded that it has too much play and needs replacing. Thats as much as I know.

Other symptoms include constant battery drainage (maybe the flywheel is f'ing the starter/alternator?) and or not starting. Check engine light is currently flashing, but im going to be lazy and assume this is just related to the flywheel and not check that right now.

Any ideas? I could toss in a stock FW (thanks for the offer by the way) but then i'd have to pay to pull it back out and upgrade later. So im looking to just go with the ecs stage 1 setup.

on a related note, is that a recommended setup?

Thanks for the help guys.

5. 03-26-2007 04:27 PM #5
      I'd get it looked at right away by your mechanic... as for the clutch/flywheel setup, I've got the ECS Stg 1 setup and I love it

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone GTI 1.8t(Gone), 2006 Brilliant Red Audi A3 3.2Q
      03-26-2007 04:33 PM #6
      Dead stop to start/reverse - the car shudders.

Check engine light is currently flashing, but im going to be lazy and assume this is just related to the flywheel and not check that right now.

Might want to get it scanned you may also have bad coilpacks.

Mods:Unitronics Stage 1+ | UM DSG Tune | Magnaflow Catback | HPA SHS Coilovers | MODSHACK VTDA intake
      VRSociety #172

Quote Originally Posted by Boost112 View Post
      Interests:Food being shoved in hot chicks faces.... and other stuff....

7. 03-26-2007 04:34 PM #7
      will do, Trust me i havent been driving it like this

im not that crazy. I just dont want to replace it with the crappy old DM Flywheel thats gonna cause more problems down the road.

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone GTI 1.8t(Gone), 2006 Brilliant Red Audi A3 3.2Q
      03-26-2007 04:37 PM #8
      does the car sound like a tractor?
      Mods:Unitronics Stage 1+ | UM DSG Tune | Magnaflow Catback | HPA SHS Coilovers | MODSHACK VTDA intake
      VRSociety #172

Quote Originally Posted by Boost112 View Post
      Interests:Food being shoved in hot chicks faces.... and other stuff....

9. 03-26-2007 10:10 PM #9
      Its pretty bad, it runs worse than it sounds though. I wouldnt say the sound is all that bad really.

10. 03-26-2007 11:30 PM #10
      I don't know about the flywheel deal, they very rarely fail unless you are putting out a lot of power. A flashing cel has one and only one meaning: you have a bad misfire that is damaging your cat. Probably a coil pack. $25 at dealer and 5 min to install. Start there

11. 03-27-2007 05:45 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by anon_az »
      I'd get it looked at right away by your mechanic... as for the clutch/flywheel setup, I've got the ECS Stg 1 setup and I love it
      X2. I also have the ECS stg 1 and love it.

12. 03-28-2007 12:36 PM #12
      did you have the flywheel resurfaced when you had the clutch replaced? Old flywheel friction surfaces come under a lot of heat during driving (more if you slip the clutch a lot) which creates hot spots on the face of the flywheel. Hot spots ruin the flat surface required by new clutches to operate the way they should. I'm not sure what the symptoms of this sort of deal would be but it is one thing to consider.

13. 03-28-2007 04:20 PM #13
      no, i didn't have it resurfaced. Im not very educated on these types of things. I did, however, just purchase a new stage 1 kit from ecs rather than buying another DM flywheel from the dealership (825$vs339$)