Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Jetta TDi Turbo PROBLEMS?

1. 04-05-2007 11:31 PM #1
      This is my first turbo car and I believe the turbo is Oil lubricated & or cooled. What happens when the Turbo let's go? I think mine did today I have 82,000km on it go figure! When I went to accelerate from light It was like the turbo went off line and had no power like the MAF malfunctioning. Drove maybe 100ft to next light and when started to take off under reduced power heard ratlling noise from engine and tons of white smoke out exhuaste so I shut her down and coasted down hill for 1,000ft or so and pulled off on side street. tried to restart but it would not, no dummy lights came on for oil pressure so I'm thinking engine is still good? I later checked engine oil level when I got towed back home and there is nothing showing on dip stick. Is there any eclectronics the will prevent it from starting if the turbo goes or other saftey mechanism? the engin is dry and so is underneath the car so no fluids are leaking, coolant level is normal and there is no foam or froth in the engine. Any suggestions until I get a mechanic to see if engine spins freely with pry bar?

04-06-2007 12:04 AM #2
      Not restarting isn't a turbo problem...
      The low oil issue is a concern, but only if you ran the engine dry.
      Does the engine crank over, just not start?

Even though there's no warning lights, have you scanned the car with a VAG-COM?
      There can be codes stored in the ECU's memory WITHOUT illuminating the Check Engine Light.

- Erik

Pattern Draft Imaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

Vehicles
      2002 Golf TDI - more plans than money.
      04-06-2007 12:13 AM #3
      DO NOT TRY TO RESTART YOUR CAR!!!!!

If your turbo has popped, you probably have alot of oil in your intercooler. No matter what the problem ends up being (and it sound like a turbo), pull and drain this before you do ANYTHING with that ignition switch. Otherwise, you're out a $4000 engine.

white smoke + rattling = very, very bad

could be coolant, could be oil. pull those glowplugs and find out what's in the cylinders.

Modified by stolpsGTI at 9:15 PM 4-5-2007

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

4. 04-06-2007 12:51 AM #4
      Got this from tdi forum
      Quote"STOOOOOPPPPPP!!!! You pitched the turbo is my bet. You are just damaging the rods and bending valves by attempting to turn it over any more.

First, check the oil level. Low? Bad news.

Second, pull the upper intercooler pipe from the intake. A bunch of oil in it? Bad news.

Third, Pull the glow plugs out so you can relieve the cylinder pressure.

Fourth, if oil in everything replace the turbo once you look at the fins on the compressor side to see the amount of damage. You'll have to crank the engine over a few times to blow the oil out. Make sure you REALLY cover the holes as the compression will blow out the oil with TREMENDOUS force. You might want to possibly pull the pan to see if any rods are bent too."

I will try to do this over the weekend and see what I find Thank -you for your responses

5. 04-07-2007 06:01 PM #5
      Got this from tdi forum
      Quote"STOOOOOPPPPPP!!!! You pitched the turbo is my bet. You are just damaging the rods and bending valves by attempting to turn it over any more.

First, check the oil level. Low? Bad news.

Second, pull the upper intercooler pipe from the intake. A bunch of oil in it? Bad news.

Third, Pull the glow plugs out so you can relieve the cylinder pressure.

Fourth, if oil in everything replace the turbo once you look at the fins on the compressor side to see the amount of damage. You'll have to crank the engine over a few times to blow the oil out. Make sure you REALLY cover the holes as the compression will blow out the oil with TREMENDOUS force. You might want to possibly pull the pan to see if any rods are bent too."

I will try to do this over the weekend and see what I find Thank -you for your responses

6. 04-07-2007 06:01 PM #6
      I removed charged air inlet tube and found tons of oil in it, also in the throtlebody, I removed all four glow plugs and all of them had oil on them, and yes my dipstick is showing no oil. I guess the sudden loss of power was when the turbo let go. THis is riddiculous 82,000km and the tubo lets go? my clutch is slipping cuase it is the same part as a 2.0L, my starter whines after you start engine my check engine light is on cause of malfunctioning glow plug/harness and the timing belt service is 16,000km off!! Just the parts are gonna cost me $2500 U.S from ECS. this blows I just hope I shut her down soon enough and the engine is saved!!