Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to reset TCU?

1. 04-17-2007 08:07 PM #1
      Can anyone tell me exactly how to reset the transmission computer on a 97 Jetta Automatic? Tried a search but didn't come up with anything.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      05-02-2007 11:06 PM #2
      Disconnect the pos and neg terminals of the battery. Take the leads and touch them together for 2-3min and rub them a little. clean the terminals and the battery posts and re-connect..
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

3. 05-03-2007 12:47 AM #3
      Of course you can reset it if you have a vag-com.

I don't know if its placebo but I've tried it and it seemed to work. You turn the key to on position (don't start engine), press gas pedal all the way down and hold for 20 seconds. Let go and start car and go.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=323691
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1507548
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=246782

Vehicles
      Time Machine
      05-03-2007 01:20 AM #4
      Neither of these ways truly work from what I have experienced. I am not sure if the terminal one is a joke or not... but dont do that.

You need a vagcom, and you need to go into engine, then measuring blocks, then the code for the tranny is 063. From there on, it should act like a throttle body alignment. There is information on how to do this in the FAQ, right above.

Hella4 | GermanPlates | Audi TT Bild | Freelance UI/Visual Designer

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      05-03-2007 10:41 PM #5
      Throttle body alignment has nothing to do with resetting the TCM memory...

And yes the battery cable trick works. Its called a "hard reset" and erases the eeprom on the tcm and ecm and all other modules. It works on mk4's for resetting the immobilizer when it acts up.

the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

6. 05-04-2007 05:04 PM #6
      I tried the battery cable method once, but only held the terminals together for about 10-15 seconds which was what I had been told. I take it that I didn't do this long enough then? I can certainly try it again for a couple minutes, but it doesn't seem like it should take that long. Anyway, will keep you posted. Thanks.

-Steve

Modified by JettaIIIPOS at 2:11 PM 5-4-2007

7. 05-13-2008 04:55 PM #7
      The thing with the battery terminals worked like a charm for me. I'd set my immobilizer by accident when I used a duplicate key I'd just got made but forgot it didn't have the immobilizer chip in it.

8. 05-05-2012 08:55 PM #8
      It had trouble with 2nd gear shifting and I replaced solenoids today..
      when i was done I drove it around the block and it shifted all
      whacked out.. Its Saturday 6pm where the heck do I find someone
      with vag-com.. I searched and searched came across this thread.
      I reset TCU with your advise Ignition on ( not engine ) 20 second gas pressed in all the way. using a timer. and viola ! EUREKA ! it shifts so Smooth !
      Thank you your advise . 8 years later ..