Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: p0103, p0172, p0120 codes thrown

1. 04-19-2007 11:42 AM #1
      Recently (past month) my GLX has been histating when I go to accelerate (intermittenly) as well when I idle my rpms tend to bounce around from 400 to 2k (intermitten as well). I had my codes read and there were as follows p0103, p0172 and p0120.

To tell you what I've done so far (because I already did a search and read the posts for all 3 codes, so please don't reply with "try the search, that's what it's there for", because I did)

1.)Plugs were changed approx. 2-3k miles ago
      2.)Wires are approx. 50k miles old
      3.)I cleaned my K&N
      4.)I cleaned my MAF with electrical cleaner as well as all of the intake tubing
      5.)I removed and cleaned my throttle body with carb cleaner
      6.)I checked and secured all vaccuum lines

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, I'm tired of my car going crazy at idle and conking out while I'm driving and drinking coffee. Plus I love my Rita and she is not happy at the moment.

Thanks,
      -e

2. 04-19-2007 12:30 PM #2
      There was a similar problem like this some where, but I read some one said check idle stablizer valve. Don't know what the out come of their problem was.

3. 04-19-2007 12:37 PM #3
      Try the seach!

Sorry, I had to just say that and be a d!ick.

VW DTC 16556 (P0172) - Fuel Trim, Bank1 System too Rich

VW DTC 16487 - P0103 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ High Input

VW DTC P0120: throttle/pedal pos. senor A circ Malfunction

Something tells me that you are running very rich. If the MAF that you swapped out is good, and the TB is cleaned, it could be that extra fuel is getting in to where it shouldn't be.

Pull the hose that attaches to the Fuel Pressure Regulator, if there is fuel coming out of that vacuum line, then the FPR is bad.

Nothing else rings a bell.

Check my sig for the vag owners list, any one of us will give you a free scan and also test the MAF and align the TB for ya.

I am in DE if you need me.

Did you try the search?

The P codes are the generic codes, you may have a better time if you search by the vag codes.

I placed the vag codes above.

Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

4. 04-19-2007 01:06 PM #4
      Well I guess I didn't clarify, after cleaning the MAF, TB and Air Filter my buddy came over and cleared the codes with his VAG COM. The problem went away for about 3-4 days and the CEL remained off. I also over filled my oil slightly, but I drained the excess before I cleaned everything. Oil is at the right level now, and yeah the car is running hella rich (black smizzoke when I idle). Yeah I had the VW codes somewhere but I just had them memorized from when I went to autozone. But I will check those fuel lines.

If it helps I also have p0411 SA pump code, but that **** has been thrown for like 1.5 years

I appreciate the help, anyone else want to chime in.

Thanks,

-e

Modified by hoofic at 9:10 AM 4-19-2007

5. 04-19-2007 02:49 PM #5
      ttt for some help

6. 04-19-2007 03:42 PM #6
      The SA pump is probably shot to hell or the hose from it is kinked.

Start by fixing that.

Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

7. 04-20-2007 10:58 AM #7
      yeah I really didn't want to put a new SA ump on since they run about $430 for AZ autohaus. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be wrong with the SA system. Perhaps it's not the pump but something else?

Thanks

-e

8. 04-20-2007 12:55 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by hoofic »
      yeah I really didn't want to put a new SA ump on since they run about $430 for AZ autohaus. Do you have any suggestions as to what could be wrong with the SA system. Perhaps it's not the pump but something else?

Thanks

-e

Those little bastards are expensive aren't they.

There was a DIY or some crap about how the hose gets kinked throwing an incorrect flow code.

Follow the hose from the pump to wherever it goes and ensure that is is complete and not obstructed.

I am not sure if there are testing procedures for the pump itself, you may want to search for it.

If it is the pump, you should be able to find a low milage MKIV in the salvage yard to take the pump off of.

Mad Dope Silly MK1 Love!
      WWW.MK1DUBZ.COM

9. 04-23-2007 10:56 AM #9
      Well I was checking out the pump the other day and I heard it switch on and off when the car was started so it could be the combi valve. The car really started giving me trouble the other day, conked out hardcore and jerked the car back and fourth. I'd really like to get this issue sorted out...

cheers,

-e

10. 05-02-2007 09:20 PM #10
      did u ever figure out what the deal was? im dealing with the same thing