Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 482 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Official iPhone thread - PLEASE KEEP GENERAL IPHONE CHIT-CHAT IN THIS THREAD ***

1. 06-26-2007 03:05 AM #36
      Quote, originally posted by lojasmo »

multi-touchscreen
      wifi
      3X5" screen
      Hard drive

How many of those things have previously been offered, simultaneously, in a phone?

I'm in the HDD industry. In this case using an HDD instead of Flash memory will slow the unit down and decrease battery life. Also, when going from a cold environment into a warm room, condensation on HDD media may be a problem. HDDs are also adversely affected by high altitude. Something to consider when you fly. IMO, flash memory would have been a better choice for this application, but hard disk drives offer so much storage for so little $, I'm not surprised Apple went with a hard drive. With flash, this phone would probably cost about $1,000++.

BTW, what's the difference between touch screen and multi touch screen

Modified by QuackDuck at 12:06 AM 6-26-2007

2. 06-26-2007 10:02 AM #37
      it doesn't use a HDD, it's 4 or 8 gigs of flash, just like the nano

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      06-26-2007 10:45 AM #38
      Here's an early review from the NYP:

Quote »

June 26, 2007 -- TENS of thousands of people are expected to line up this Friday for themost hyped gadget of the decade - the iPhone.

Don't be one of them.

Oh, it's a technological marvel. But Apple's all-in-one handheld isn't the best cellphone - or even the best iPhone - that will be sold in the next year.

The iPhone crams so many different features into its slightly bulky form that it can only excel at one, and compromise on the rest. After spending some time, albeit briefly, with the iPhone, it's clear to me that Internet and e-mail are the parts that suffered.

The Web browser has fancy zoom and pan features that let you drag and pinch the screen with your fingers. The iPhone I tested performed those tasks well, and it's sexy to flick your digits instead of pressing too-tiny keys.

But the reality is that the iPhone has a very small screen compared to even the tiniest laptop. You can't read much of an article on a Web page without panning back and forth across. This is true of word-processing, too; at a size comfortable enough to read, you can't see either the full length or width of a document.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs was right when he said it's the best iPod the company has ever made. The screen quality is fantastic, and the movies pivot automatically as you rotate the phone.

But it's not an iPod. It's a $500 or $600 communicator that requires a two-year calling commitment. Monthly charges haven't been announced, but judging by comparable offerings from AT&T and other carriers, it should run you at least $50 per month in voice service and $40 per month in data service. That adds more than $2,000 to the iPhone's price tag over two years even before buying music or movies!

Consider also that Apple engineers already are hard at work on iPhone 2.0.

Modern cell networks use third-generation (3G) standards that are five to 20 times faster than that in the iPhone. Jobs said the chips to make a 3G iPhone weren't available when they designed the iPhone; but they are now, and are in some competitors' less-featured but faster phones.

It also skimps on storage. The $600 iPhone comes with 8 gigabytes of storage, enough for 2,000 songs or 16 episodes of "Heroes." A $250 video iPod can handle 7,500 songs or about 25 hours of movies.

You can bet that iPhone 2.0, probably available within the next year, will be faster and have more storage - probably for the same price.

Tech geeks and some business travelers will wait in line Friday (or pay someone else). You should wait for the next version.

Glenn Fleishman writes a column called "Practical Macintosh" from his Seattle home.

GSM vs GPRS/Edge data transfer rates are a known quantity, regardless of the actual device. GSM is simply slower. Doesn't matter if it's an iPhone or a Blackberry or any other device.

Rest easy, Bart.

Vehicles
      '12 GLI AB, '08 A3 STi, '03 20thAE GTI #3255, '97 GTI 2.sl0w
      06-26-2007 11:37 AM #39
      Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just not their own facts.

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      06-26-2007 12:22 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by QuackDuck »

I'm in the HDD industry. In this case using an HDD instead of Flash memory will slow the unit down and decrease battery life. Also, when going from a cold environment into a warm room, condensation on HDD media may be a problem. HDDs are also adversely affected by high altitude. Something to consider when you fly. IMO, flash memory would have been a better choice for this application, but hard disk drives offer so much storage for so little $, I'm not surprised Apple went with a hard drive. With flash, this phone would probably cost about $1,000++.

Well, I guess it's flash...still, the point stands. NO OTHER PHONE has this combination of features.

Quote »
      BTW, what's the difference between touch screen and multi touch screen

Multi touch screen allows for reorientation of the screen and zooming with the use of two fingers on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-y3ZNaCqs

Modified by lojasmo at 11:25 AM 6-26-2007

06-26-2007 12:46 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by Seabird »

What a lame review. They complain that the "internet and email suffer" but don't touch on them other than to say that the screen (the largest on any cell phone) is too small to read articles. Has this person ever tried to browse the web on any other phone? The reviewer failed to touch on the email comment at all, and doesn't even say how well it works as a phone.

I'd like to see a real review and hope I don't have to wait until Friday to read one.

7. 06-26-2007 12:54 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by jerk »

What a lame review. They complain that the "internet and email suffer" but don't touch on them other than to say that the screen (the largest on any cell phone) is too small to read articles. Has this person ever tried to browse the web on any other phone? The reviewer failed to touch on the email comment at all, and doesn't even say how well it works as a phone.

I'd like to see a real review and hope I don't have to wait until Friday to read one.

Yeah, he compared it to laptops rather than to another cell phone.

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      06-26-2007 12:59 PM #43
      Well keep in mind that the New York Post is one of the worst newspapers anywhere.

Modified by robbyb413 at 8:38 AM 6/27/2007

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      06-26-2007 01:10 PM #44
      Good GAWD, I just read AT&T's press release re/pricing!

http://www.transworldnews.com/....aspx

"starting at just $59.99 per month."

iPhone Pricing:
      $499 for 4gb iPhone
      $599 for 8gb iPhone

Activation Fee:
      $36 per phone

6 Individual Plans:
      $59.99 for 450 minutes
      $79.99 for 900 minutes
      $99.99 for 1,350 minutes
      $119.99 for 2,000 minutes
      $169.99 for 4,000 minutes
      $219.99 for 6,000 minutes

6 Family Plans: (plus $29.99 per line)
      $80 for 700 minutes
      $100 for 1,400 minutes
      $120 for 2,100 minutes
      $160 for 3,000 minutes
      $210 for 4,000 minutes
      $310 for 6,000 minutes

iPhone Unlimited Data Plan for Current Subscribers: (keep your current voice plan)
      $20 plus 200 SMS
      $30 plus 1,500 SMS
      $40 plus Unlimited SMS

Features: (included on ALL plans)
      Unlimited data
      Visual Voicemail
      200 SMS text messages (more SMS text messages can be added to any plan)
      Roll-over minutes
      Unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling
      Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes on all plans except for 450 minute plan (5,000 Night & Weekend minutes)

Modified by Kar98 at 12:17 PM 6-26-2007

Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

06-26-2007 01:18 PM #45
      That's not bad considering that's the price of JUST a data plan on Verizon (I know, Verizon's network is faster [for now].)

06-26-2007 03:10 PM #46
      that isn't too bad considering unlimited data + voice is $59.99. NO 3G though

Vehicles
      1932 Prolecrusher Imperiale, 2076 Voss Nose Molestahedron 88
      06-26-2007 05:17 PM #47

So, I'm seeing this review make two points...
      - It can't browse the internet as well as a full-featured computer.
      Well, yeah, it's a cell phone.

- If you wait, you can get a better one.
      When has this not been true about any sort of computing technology? Hey, if you didn't buy that Mac IIci in 1990, you could get a nice Mac Pro and a 30" screen for the same money!

Look, Octopius, it is my website! | 遠慮せずに食べてください。| 🐒

13. 06-26-2007 05:26 PM #48
      The pricing on the plans is a nice surprise. $60/month with unlimited data really isn't that bad. I'm much more interested in an iPhone now.

14. 06-26-2007 09:24 PM #49
      *No MMS
      * The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son!
      * There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text! WHOA! Big, big mistake.
      * No A2DP support. That, friends, is such a huge bummer right there.
      * Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch.
      * On a PC the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses! Noice.
      * It supports Exchange in some capacity, according to Walt, but he doesn't exactly say how.
      * Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).
      * Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Neither is there any other kind of embedded video support. Sorry everybody, that's that.
      * It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there?
      *And that EDGE data? Pogue found himself longing for the days of dial-up, while waiting 1-2 minutes for popular sites to load, and while WiFi was quick to save the day in many instances, that's hardly an excuse in the year 2007

A phone built around a music player made by the largest name in MP3 players and u cant even set one of your precious iTunes song as your ringtone? Seriously? Looks like AT&T had Apple by the balls during negotiations.
      And the thing cost $500-$600 lol

It was already behind the day it was announced, pathetic.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/0...views/

http://www.engadget.com/2007/0...e-out/

Modified by Texan_Brandon at 6:36 PM 6-26-2007

Vehicles
      2013 Candy White GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      06-26-2007 10:05 PM #50
      I think that basically when you hype something up like this it will always fall short of expectations. Will this be the game changing device like Apple says it will? yes. Will it do everything perfectly and just the way everyone wants it? heck no.

I'm not getting it, simply because I can't afford to waste money like this since I already have a 80gb ipod and a nice cell phone. But people who get it Im sure will be happy with it.

Again, if you want something that's going to be perfect you will never be satisfied because all electronic devices are made to be high tech AND affordable. Some things you can put in that are cheap and should have been there like MMS and copy and paste etc. But others like Edge, editing MS Office etc. are not so easy and affordable.

So iPhone is a compromise between high cost and practicality, it does nothing especially well, but it's an attractive device and is very appealing to people who like to show off and like Apple stuff.

The biggest problem is ATT which came up with an exclusive plan for the iphone which alienates all their current customers who dontget unlimited data and pay far higher plan costs. This is a huge boondoggle because now people are going to be pissed off, I have a great Samsung phone that does everything iphone does and does it better and I dont get the unlimited data. This is a real bad move on ATT part when they dont make the plans standard accross the spectrum and piss off their regular customer who are stuck paying more.

ATT+APPLE=scumbags.

Modified by hugoaswho at 6:21 AM 6-27-2007

16. 06-26-2007 10:09 PM #51
      The Wii was overhyped and delivered on all fronts, so it is possible to do it right.

Vehicles
      2014 Mini Cooper
      06-27-2007 12:56 AM #52
      Voice what? Voicemail? What kind of voice minutes do you get with Sprint for $30, including unlimited data that it.?.?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      06-27-2007 01:17 AM #53
      "Then there’s the Internet problem. When you’re in a Wi-Fi hot spot, going online is fast and satisfying.

But otherwise, you have to use AT&T’s ancient EDGE cellular network, which is excruciatingly slow. The New York Times’s home page takes 55 seconds to appear; Amazon.com, 100 seconds; Yahoo. two minutes. You almost ache for a dial-up modem."

Based on that review alone, I'll pass and wait for a 2nd gen model that is 3G equipped....I'm sure the price will come down by then as well.

06-27-2007 01:45 AM #54
      That's one review, I've read several others that do say there are some shortcomings, but overall it's a huge leap in the UI department and in the way it does email and the web. I want one, but I'm stuck on Verizon right now. We'll see what Apple can do with software updates, it could be interesting.

Vehicles
      2004 Lancer Ralliart Sedan (not quite stock)
      06-27-2007 01:52 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by Texan_Brandon »
      The Wii was overhyped and delivered on all fronts, so it is possible to do it right.

Except for games.

XBL--lJesse Custerl|PSN-lJesseCusterl
      EBC brakes, Injen SRI, ridiculous stereo, etc.

Vehicles
      2013 Candy White GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      06-27-2007 09:00 AM #56
      Quote, originally posted by Texan_Brandon »
      The Wii was over hyped and delivered on all fronts, so it is possible to do it right.

The Wii is 4 year old technology that utilizes and simple gimmicky controller. It has nothing complicated about it. Nintendo is known for simple fun games.

Comparing it to iPhone is like comparing the Vw Beetle to Prius.

22. 06-27-2007 09:07 AM #57

Vehicles
      06-27-2007 09:24 AM #58
      Quote, originally posted by Shawn O »
      "Then there’s the Internet problem. When you’re in a Wi-Fi hot spot, going online is fast and satisfying.

But otherwise, you have to use AT&T’s ancient EDGE cellular network, which is excruciatingly slow. The New York Times’s home page takes 55 seconds to appear; Amazon.com, 100 seconds; Yahoo. two minutes. You almost ache for a dial-up modem."

Based on that review alone, I'll pass and wait for a 2nd gen model that is 3G equipped....I'm sure the price will come down by then as well.

So it does use EDGE? Interesting... I don't find it all that slow myself on my Blackberry 8700. Faster that GPRS. It never takes me that long to download a webpage. I'm not very impressed with the iPhone for myself and my needs (too many compromises IMO), but there's something rotten about that comment.
      Rest easy, Bart.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S4
      06-27-2007 11:05 AM #59
      GPRS IS Edge. Edge is Cingular/ATT's name for their GPRS network.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S4
      06-27-2007 11:09 AM #60
      I agree with the statement that the phone is a revolutionary way in thinking about a smartphone and goes beyond what is out there.

Unfortunately, the implementation of it seems to be lacking. Its great that you have this wonderful screen and new UI, but then they leave out the basic things like being able to search a phonebook or use MMS.

Its like Apple thought too much about what it could be and what they could make it and then forgot about what it still should be now.

Its a lot like Aperture. It revolutionized the way photogs thought about an editing and browsing program, yet the first version was a steaming pile of poo in its implementation as Apple left out some of the more basic things people wanted. Versions since have been better.

Its going to be the same with this. Apple thought too much about revolutionizing things and failed to do the basics right at the same time. I'm sure version 2.0 will be leaps and bounds better.

Vehicles
      06-27-2007 11:15 AM #61
      Quote, originally posted by .:RDriver »
      GPRS IS Edge. Edge is Cingular/ATT's name for their GPRS network.

That is not my understanding.

http://www.techweb.com/encyclo...=EDGE

Rest easy, Bart.

Vehicles
      '10 335i
      06-27-2007 11:53 AM #62
      I read in an article that you activate the iPhone with your PC at home.

So that means that I can walk out of an AT&T store with an iPhone and no contract tied to it?

eBay is going to explode, me thinks.

http://www.boston.com/business..._wont/

Modified by DownShift at 11:58 AM 6-27-2007

Modified by DownShift at 12:08 PM 6-27-2007

2010 335i

28. 06-27-2007 01:33 PM #63
      gprs is not EDGE, and it would be hard for it to be ATT's name for it since t-mobile uses EDGE as well

GPRS is the original packet radio system for data and tops out at 56k

EDGE is much newer and runs around 128k

Modified by tmerc at 11:36 AM 6-27-2007

Vehicles
      06-27-2007 02:40 PM #64
      Quote, originally posted by tmerc »
      gprs is not EDGE, and it would be hard for it to be ATT's name for it since t-mobile uses EDGE as well

GPRS is the original packet radio system for data and tops out at 56k

EDGE is much newer and runs around 128k

Yes, that it my understanding as well.

Rest easy, Bart.

30. 06-27-2007 03:05 PM #65
      Ok i know you guys are tired of hearing about the iphone (i work for at&t so its more annoying on this side, when i found out our %40 discount doesn't work on this phone OR its plans). So what is the best iphone alternative?

The features that i like the most are...

Touch Screen - I think its neat and fast, i don't like styluses....but navigation through keys are cool also...

2.0 megapixel camera - i currently have the w810i so i don't want to go lower then 2.0 megapixel

music - something that places music very good (good interface)

Wifi - This is probably the biggest thing...because i would love to browse the net downstairs or in my car without paying for fees.

Video Playback - I would like multiple file support but i could work something out

storage size - large starter size or way to expand space

and the price has to be lower then the iphone (i looked in the nokia n95 but $700+ is to much).

Thanks in advance...

Modified by FiReToY at 12:07 PM 6-27-2007

31. 06-27-2007 03:20 PM #66
      Quote, originally posted by Shawn O »
      "

But otherwise, you have to use AT&T’s ancient EDGE cellular network, which is excruciatingly slow. The New York Times’s home page takes 55 seconds to appear.

I just got the BB curve for At&t and it takes nytimes.com only 16 seconds to load for me.

06-27-2007 03:34 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by FiReToY »
      Ok i know you guys are tired of hearing about the iphone (i work for at&t so its more annoying on this side, when i found out our %40 discount doesn't work on this phone OR its plans). So what is the best iphone alternative?

<snip>

You work there, you don't know?

Blackjack. No touchscreen tho. Otherwise, some non-branded HTC device (but you're looking for a discount .. ). 3G data speeds too.

I think you can pick up a BJ for like $79 with the corp FAN right now.

... back on the iphone ... waiting for rev.2 personally, but it's a damn nice device otherwise.

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      06-27-2007 04:02 PM #68
      What the iPhone Doesn't Have

* Songs as Ringtones
      * Games
      * Any flash support
      * Instant Messaging
      * Picture messages (MMS)
      * Video recording
      * Voice recognition or voice dialing
      * Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)
      * One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

Stuff we already knew it didn't have
      * 3G (EV-DO/HSDPA)
      * GPS
      * A real keyboard
      * Removable battery
      * Expandable Storage
      * Direct iTunes Music Store Access (Over Wi-Fi or EDGE)

WSJ Review

NYT Review

USAToday

Newsweek

Modified by Kar98 at 3:06 PM 6-27-2007

Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S4
      06-27-2007 05:03 PM #69

That is not my understanding.

http://www.techweb.com/encyclo...=EDGE

Nope, you're right. I forgot that there was a difference as my phone shows the GPRS logo even when on the EDGE network. I always in my mind just equated it to the slower of the two systems (3G vs. EDGE/GPRS) and lumped them together.

My mistake.

06-27-2007 05:58 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by Kar98 »
      What the iPhone Doesn't Have

* Songs as Ringtones
      * Games
      * Any flash support
      * Instant Messaging
      * Picture messages (MMS)
      * Video recording
      * Voice recognition or voice dialing
      * Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Streaming (A2DP)
      * One-size-fits-all headset jack (May have to buy an adapter for certain headphones)

Stuff we already knew it didn't have
      * 3G (EV-DO/HSDPA)
      * GPS
      * A real keyboard
      * Removable battery
      * Expandable Storage
      * Direct iTunes Music Store Access (Over Wi-Fi or EDGE)

WSJ Review

NYT Review

USAToday

Newsweek

While hardly concrete info, on Digg they have an article about iTunes 7.3 having a ringtone feature, as well as another stating that an Apple engineer was heard saying that the "iPhone application story is not over" and that "3rd party cocoa apps for the iPhone were coming soon" so that very well could address alot of the initial shortcomings to the iPhone.

Here's to hoping!

Page 2 of 482 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast