VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

wanted: fuse panel diagram

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  untitled 
#1 ·
my 1988 FOX GL is dead... wont start, battery is good, maybe the starter solinoid? i hope not.
I need a diagram of the fuses (cuz my cover is missing and i'd like to know what each fuse and relay do. PLEASE HELP HER or it goes to the junk yard.
thanks!!!

#2 ·
Re: wanted: fuse panel diagram (untitled)

Quote, originally posted by untitled »
PLEASE HELP HER or it goes to the junk yard.

So if we don't help, us east coast foxers can pick at the carcuss for free? Thanks!

#3 ·
Re: wanted: fuse panel diagram (the brit)

Nah, just kidding.. sorta..
Here's a thread i made with every fuse on the panel listed
Hope this helps http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I also have a spare fuse box cover that i would sell cheap, just in case you wanted to get fancy or something

#6 ·

oh. any ideas for the non starting situation? it just clicks, alt is new, batt is good... what else, is there an ignition relay? i cant change/pull the starter or solinoid, in the parking lot. and a tow aint worth the $$$.

#8 ·
Re: wanted: fuse panel diagram (jackfrost1031)

Hack starting testing in a parking lot:
Make sure the ground wire for the engine block is good. If in doubt, use a jumper wire from the block to the -ve to make sure it is. If it isn't, fix it.
Nicely insulated screwdriver - reach under your exhaust, pull off the little black connector going to the spade terminal on the starter, bridge that spare to the big bolt/nut connector on the starter. It will turn over and make you jump everytime. Don't get your hands in the way, and don't use a sold piece of metal with your hands on the metal

Battery good? If not, bump / jump start.
Don't want to jump the starter, bump start.
Don't want to pull the ignition switch to check the 'start' postion? Bump start

You can pull the back off of your ignition to test the switch, but if you don't know how to do it, i'm afraid i'm not going to post how on a easily google searchable public forum...

Modified by the brit at 11:29 PM 4-30-2007

#10 ·

Well for the love of...

1. Turn the ignition on. (Not to 'start', just 'on' like you're driving.)
2. Select neutral and release the parking brake.
3. Open the door, get out, and put your shoulder to the door frame.
4. Push until you're going about 2 mph.
5. Jump in, put in the clutch, select 1st gear, and quickly release the clutch.
6. Give it some gas, shift and steer as necessary, and go home...
Easy as cheese.

#11 ·
Re: wanted: fuse panel diagram (snowfox)

Quote, originally posted by snowfox »

5. Jump in, put in the clutch, select 1st gear, and quickly release the clutch.
6. Give it some gas, shift and steer as necessary, and go home...
Easy as cheese.

you might try 2nd gear, i killed my battery at college one day and got it going at a good clip and put it in first. it only made the front wheels lock.

#12 ·
Re: wanted: fuse panel diagram (tbt10f)

Quote, originally posted by tbt10f »

you might try 2nd gear, i killed my battery at college one day and got it going at a good clip and put it in first. it only made the front wheels lock.

I'm talking about a slow walking pace, not a good clip. If you have some extra hands to help you push (i.e., go more than a mile or two per hour), a higher gear would be good.

#14 ·

^^^ whats with the sarcasem? i know how to do this...

None intended, but I didn't think you knew how to do this because of the earlier statement:
...but its stck in a parking lot 10miles fom my house.

Maybe it's just my personal choice, but I wouldn't leave my car sitting or have to call someone for a ride if I could somehow get the beast rolling, whether the starter was helping me out or not.
Sorry-

#15 ·
Re: wanted: fuse panel diagram (snowfox)

^^^ it's cool man! the parking lot was pretty crowded and i didnt want to deal with kids crossing peep's backing outta spots etc. so i left it. it's safe there... and my fox is nothin to look at anywayz.
APB I'm done with it so if you can move it. you can have it clean NJ title and all. It's in South Orange NJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.