Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: 2007 Nissan Altima... How do you open the trunk with a dead battery.

1. 05-01-2007 02:17 PM #1
      I pose this simple question to you. On the new nissan altima, how would one access the trunk with a dead battery?

the inside release is electric.
      the trunk is electric.

one would have to release the seats, crawl in, and pull the emergency release... or is there something else somewhere, somehow to open the trunk in order to get to your jumper cables...

anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '07 MX-5, '03 Silverado
      05-01-2007 02:18 PM #2
      There is no key cylinder at all? Seems weird to not have a manual override.

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      05-01-2007 02:19 PM #3
      While inside the trunk, use the spare tire jack to pop it open. But make sure its on a support beam and not bare sheet metal, or the jack will punch a hole through the trunk.

Oh wait, that was an episode of "Perfect Strangers".

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      that really comes down to a safety issue too. i mean if you do ANY kind of development, even the most basic stuff, you should at least be closed toe shoe.
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d
      You can't drop a SQL table on your foot.

4. 05-01-2007 02:20 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by redshift »
      There is no key cylinder at all? Seems weird to not have a manual override.

unless there is some secret location, and im sitting at the nissan dealership right now trying to figure it out... there are two of us stumped and we havent asked anyone else.

Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

5. 05-01-2007 02:20 PM #5

6. 05-01-2007 02:38 PM #6
      Repeated blows to the Altima's trunk lid with a 50lb sledgehammer

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Porsche 911SC | 1986 BMW 735i | 1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD
      05-01-2007 03:17 PM #7
      Guess you wouldn't want to keep the jumper cables in the trunk, eh?

If it was any other manufacturer, I'd assume there was a hidden release somewhere, somehow. But with 'le cost cutter', that $.09 hidden release could have gotten the axe along with the exterior handle.

Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      05-01-2007 03:40 PM #8
      I sometimes have to crawl into my trunk to release it, because the lock cylinder is broken and once in a while I accidentally "lock" the trunk which prevents it from being opened with the interior release. Not a big deal at all, even though my car doesn't have an interior release handle.

9. 05-01-2007 04:02 PM #9
      So, no one really knows?

The reason i ask this is there was a customer who actually asked "what happens if the battery is dead, how do i get into the trunk?"

and we had NO response except to crawl through the rear seats...
      and then he said "what if my stuff is on the rear seats?"

and we went, sucks to be you.

10. 05-01-2007 04:07 PM #10
      So what's your take on the new Altima?
      Likes? Disklikes?

11. 05-01-2007 04:11 PM #11
      Maybe tie a long string to the trunk release and run it through the rear seat pass through

12. 05-01-2007 04:18 PM #12
      Is there a keyhole hidden under the Nissan logo on the back?

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      05-01-2007 04:20 PM #13
      Big Sushi- dipped crowbar?????

All cars have a manual override. The TT the new corvette....has to be!

The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

Vehicles
      98 B5 AEB
      05-01-2007 04:33 PM #14
      The way they can get away with it is to have battery terminals under the hood as well. But yes, its stupid to be locked out of your trunk.

15. 05-01-2007 04:37 PM #15
      The GTO is the same, and there's an emergency release that you can get to in the back seat. It looks like it's part of the seatbelt, but it releases the trunk.

There's got to be a manual release somewhere.

16. 05-01-2007 04:37 PM #16
      it's really easy actually. if your car is locked and your battery is dead, there's an emergency key in the back of the key fob. you use the emergency key to unlock the drivers door, then you unlock the back door, fold down either seat and you'll see the emergency trunk release right in front of you. pull it and there you go. IMO it's not that hard....sure they could have put a key hole on the lid but instead they went for asthetics instead.....not really an issue at all...

if on the other hand your smart key runs out of batteries all you have to do is unlock the drivers door get in and there is an emergency key fob slot under the dash pop it in and away you go.

17. 05-01-2007 04:51 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by ~FoRuM-GhOsT~ »
      it's really easy actually. if your car is locked and your battery is dead, there's an emergency key in the back of the key fob. you use the emergency key to unlock the drivers door, then you unlock the back door, fold down either seat and you'll see the emergency trunk release right in front of you. pull it and there you go. IMO it's not that hard....sure they could have put a key hole on the lid but instead they went for asthetics instead.....not really an issue at all...

if on the other hand your smart key runs out of batteries all you have to do is unlock the drivers door get in and there is an emergency key fob slot under the dash pop it in and away you go.

uh, that emergency release is a bit further back than "RIGHT THERE"... what if i have my flower pots with plants in them sitting on my rear seat, or two car seats with my kids in them? there are a MILLION reasons why this is a HUGE oversight.

in fact, the emergency trunk release is actually ON the TRUNK, not anywhere close, its on the trunk lid itself... about 3' in from the rear seats.

Modified by Nourdmrolnmt at 1:52 PM 5-1-2007

18. 05-01-2007 04:53 PM #18
      Depending on whats in my trunk I think I would be more worried about getting my car started.

19. 05-01-2007 04:56 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by jonahreason »
      Depending on whats in my trunk I think I would be more worried about getting my car started.

Your jumper cables are in your trunk, and your buddy who has anotehr car, doesnt have his jumper cables on him...

and trust me, in order for me to reach the emergency release, i am FULLY in that trunk... and im 6'2, luckily only 20.

Vehicles
      1970 Chevy C-10, 2007 WRX TR
      05-01-2007 05:03 PM #20
      check the owners manual..... or call nissan. no, not a dealership because that obviously hsnt help. call Nissan themselves, the number should be somewhere in the owners manual.

21. 05-01-2007 05:24 PM #21
      Simple fix. Don't put em in your trunk. Better yet, don't let your battery die. It's virtually impossible to leave your lights on these days.

Vehicles
      2003 Pontiac Vibe
      05-01-2007 05:32 PM #22

23. 05-01-2007 05:33 PM #23
      same thing on the new golf/rabbit, if the battery is dead, you have to crawl through the car to get the hatch open, there is no manual release from the outside

24. Forum Sponsor Tom@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1998 Porsche Boxster Aero Kit, 1966 Shelby GT-350, 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4
      05-01-2007 06:46 PM #24
      If you kill the battery of an Eos with the top down, there is no going in there. You have to jump the car to get in.

Jettas are the same way now. No external key for the trunk, so a really dead battery leaves you crawling through the trunk to get it open.

The best thing to do is just jump the thing, and then open the trunk. If it is your car, you'll want it to start anyway...

05-01-2007 07:26 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Nourdmrolnmt »
      uh, that emergency release is a bit further back than "RIGHT THERE"... what if i have my flower pots with plants in them sitting on my rear seat, or two car seats with my kids in them? there are a MILLION reasons why this is a HUGE oversight.

Wow. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. I think I've had two times ever where my car's battery died so hardcore that it wouldn't even pop the locks. I'm pretty sure my life would not end if I had to move things around a little bit in my trunk for the one time in 5 years or whatever that my battery died.

26. 05-01-2007 07:52 PM #26
      The Volkswagen Jetta is like that as well, no keyhole or manual non eletric overwrite

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Volvo V70, 2011 Volvo C30
      05-01-2007 08:31 PM #27
      I've never seen a car battery drain enough to not be able to operate a solenoid that MIGHT take 50ma of current to operate.

28. Forum Sponsor Tom@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1998 Porsche Boxster Aero Kit, 1966 Shelby GT-350, 1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4
      05-01-2007 08:34 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Bixmen »
      I've never seen a car battery drain enough to not be able to operate a solenoid that MIGHT take 50ma of current to operate.

I see it once every few months. Some of our cars get really drained. Beetle convertibles have windows that roll down 1'' or so to clear the weather stripping. It's common for those to get so drained that the window wont come back up, or drop down in the first place.
      Cars that are so drained trunks don't open are kinda common on the showroom.

05-01-2007 08:39 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by GTIR6 »
      The Volkswagen Jetta is like that as well, no keyhole or manual non eletric overwrite

If you look where the licence plate lights are there is in fact a keyhole.

30. 05-01-2007 08:49 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by pezzy84 »

I just walked out to the parking lot and looked at the rear of a MKV Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, and GLI and didn't see one...

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI, 1959 Vw Bug
      05-01-2007 08:54 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by pezzy84 »

That is only on 2005.5 and early 06 jetta's. The later 06's and on do not have the key hole. AS a matter of fact, if you get rearended and your trunk lid needs replaced, you will get the non key hole version and you will lose your key hole. Ask me how I know. I got into a fight with a body shop because the trunk lid I sold them (I work at a dealership) did not have the keyhole and they did not believe me about the supercession. Only after they updated their mitchell and pricesheet did they believe me.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      05-01-2007 09:11 PM #32
      I'm a bit confused actually. When I stick the key into the trunk hole of my MKIV Jetta, it still sounds/feels solenoid operated as it makes the sound and pops up a little. Does this turn purely mechanical when the battery dies?
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

33. Banned
      05-01-2007 09:23 PM #33
      Change the battery. Duh.

34. Banned
      05-01-2007 09:25 PM #34
      This is what I'd do, and I'm sure Nissan wouldn't be stupid to make it any harder ---

Get out your jump start battery/wires (depending how ya do it), pop the hood (it's never an electronic release), open it, and hook onto jump start points (there has to be a set, if the battery is in the trunk)..

Open car door, hit trunk release, trunk pops open.

You can always reach through the back seat to get to the emergency trunk release, but that seems like an awful lot of trouble if you have a jump start kit laying around (Those batteries are ~$25 and will come in immensely handy)

Vehicles
      '98 BMW M3/4/5, '67 Mercury Cougar
      05-01-2007 09:46 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by OoTLink »
      This is what I'd do, and I'm sure Nissan wouldn't be stupid to make it any harder ---

Get out your jump start battery/wires (depending how ya do it), pop the hood (it's never an electronic release), open it, and hook onto jump start points (there has to be a set, if the battery is in the trunk)..

Open car door, hit trunk release, trunk pops open.

You can always reach through the back seat to get to the emergency trunk release, but that seems like an awful lot of trouble if you have a jump start kit laying around (Those batteries are ~$25 and will come in immensely handy)

I'm pretty sure the issue is getting your jumper cables in the first place. Which would be in the trunk. Unless you like crowding your rear seat area and storing them there. Most cars I've looked at recently have a trunk release near where the rear seatbelts are mounted.

'98 E36 M3/4/5
      '67 Cougar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast