VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread

440K views 2K replies 422 participants last post by  RatBustard 
#1 ·
Lets see some Love

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (vr6fanatic)

Quote, originally posted by vr6fanatic »
Lets see some Love

If you include the new Mk5 in this thread...be prepared for 500 responses of:
1) it does 0-60 wayyyy tooo slow
2) DSG is huge mistake; this car should only have a manual
3) Why not 280-300 hp?
4) I could buy an EVO for the same price
That should cover it! And yes...there's a whole forum dedicated to them...

#9 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (tbvvw)

Quote, originally posted by tbvvw »

3) Why not 280-300 hp?

Don't forget the "it's actually a fun capable car, in an 'emm-kay four' body paradox".

#10 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (Jman5000)

I agree with the comments about it being slower and heavier, but after surviving a scary crash that totaled my 337 and hearing many other stories of people walking away unscathed in VWs and Audis...
Is it safer? Discuss

#12 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (vr6fanatic)

I appreciate the R32, and considered buying one around the end of 2004 when they were collecting dust in the back lots of VW dealers and not commanding ridiculous used prices (seriously, 30 grand for a car that you probably paid 25 for new? with "mods" that I don't want? no thanks). In the end it was a combination of not being able to find one in the configuration that I wanted and a fear of MkIV reliability that turned me away, plus knowing that the MkV GTI was around the corner. I ended up buying a Miata, go figure.
I have a passing interest in the MkV R32, though there are simply too many good cars now for me to seriously consider it this time around. Though unlike what seems like everyone here, I still think it's a great package.

#13 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (Supa_Euro)

What does it having its own forum have to do with anything? This is the Car Lounge . Not the All-Cars-Except-Volkswagens Lounge. It's perfectly acceptible for us to have an R32 appreciation thread, no more than a Corrado appreciation thread or a Miata appreciation thread. I say bring on the pictures! I love these things. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#18 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (slicecom)

Quote, originally posted by slicecom »

Pfft thats what you think!

LMAO!!! I wonder if we can get Jamie to actually "allow" that? UUhhhmmmmm...no, it's not gonna happen...but it would be funny as a gag for a few days.
Ohh....and back to the OP-- There's a whole forum for R32 love...in fact there are two of them....one for the MK IV and one for the MK V. You'll have more luck in there.

Modified by mr_e1974 at 10:36 AM 5-17-2007

#19 ·

TCL doesn't appreciate anything VW.

Please, were just not overly crazy fan boys as some are. I love VWs. I HATE MKIVs.
We actually realize that VW can, and has done wrong. Some people are just blind followers.

#21 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (tbvvw)

Quote, originally posted by tbvvw »

3) Why not 280-300 hp?
That should cover it! And yes...there's a whole forum dedicated to them...

#22 ·

It's not that, it's that we have about 40% membership from VWVortex, and the other 60% get a bit tired of the VW-centric sentiment. They compensate by being hyper-critical of VW.
So you see about 40% of folks pouring on the praise, and 60% exaggerating the flaws.
For proof - look how many times VWs win Polls. That's because 40% of the CL members will vote on a VW no matter what. When the other 60% of votes are divided up among the STI, EVO, MazdaSpeed3, and SRT-4s of the world, the R32 will win every time.
Even if the poll ask which is most reliable!

#24 ·

I just don't like how if anyone wants to discuss any kind of VW here the moderators move the threads to the other forums. People could just as well discuss getting their new miata or BMW somewhere else too.

#26 ·
Re: Volkswagen R32 Appreciation thread (GrmnLvr)

Quote, originally posted by GrmnLvr »
I agree with the comments about it being slower and heavier, but after surviving a scary crash that totaled my 337 and hearing many other stories of people walking away unscathed in VWs and Audis...
Is it safer? Discuss

My grandmother got clipped by a semi, crossed four lanes, hit a barrier, and got slammed into by oncoming traffic. Her MkIV Jetta was totaled, and she walked away relatively fine (except for being a little sore).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.