Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microswitch behind Trunk Lid Logo (for opening power trunk) does not work [TOC, Photos done]

1. 05-25-2007 09:23 PM #1
      Hello All.

I have a problem.

I have a 05 V8, 4 Seater, with the Technology package and Kesy.

My dealer (VW Villa), Phaeton Hotline and VW Canada ALL HAVE TOLD ME THAT MY VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE THE EMBLEM MICROSWITCH FEATURE.

This began when I asked VW Villa to repair the switch as it had not been operating for quite some time.

I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I used it many times and ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME THIS FEATURE IS NOT AVAILABLE IN NORTH AMERICA.

Thank god for this forum.

I read the numerous posts about this feature and see that I don't need to see a psychiatrist.

PLEASE: EVERYONE FROM NORTH AMERICA THAT HAS THIS FEATURE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS POST WITH YOUR CONFIRMATION OF THE VW LOGO TRUNK OPENING FUNCTIONALITY AND WHERE YOU ARE FROM.

THANKS.

Modified by brutus13 at 6:25 PM 5-25-2007

Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      05-25-2007 09:44 PM #2
      My 2004 V8 has it and it works. I'm from Eastern Pennsylvania and living in a Twilight Zone.

Modified by Paldi at 11:09 PM 5-25-2007

3. 05-25-2007 09:57 PM #3
      Indianapolis here - mine works fine.

4. 05-25-2007 10:16 PM #4
      Check!

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V6 TDI, 2003 Mercedes CL55K, 2002 Passat W8
      05-25-2007 10:33 PM #5
      I'd start taking the name and details of each person who tells you that the car doesn't have the boot button since anyone who does so is either trying to get rid of you or can't be bothered to check their facts. Either way...

6. 05-25-2007 10:56 PM #6
      Just for your information, I spoke with the manager of customer service for all of Canada who had one of his staff call me. They were adamant that the vehicle did not have the feature. Their exact words were" no North American vehicles ever had this feature".

7. 05-25-2007 11:27 PM #7
      Mine works too.

Vehicles
      '14 Toyota Prius Five + ATP
      05-25-2007 11:42 PM #8
      Mine works like a champ. You just need to have a firm push -- it's all about the follow through.
      --Chris

Vehicles
      Phaeton 3.0 V6 Diesel 2006 Luna Blue / Sunny Beige
      05-26-2007 06:07 AM #9
      Have you unlocked ALL central locking by pushing the key fob twice? My boot button wouldn't work if I only unlocked the driver's door with the single button press.

Now I've had the unlock reprogrammed (see elsewhere in this forum) to free all doors and boot with one push, I'm much happier.

Hope this helps.

Viv

10. Member
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      05-26-2007 07:28 AM #10
      Even if the doors are locked and the alarm is armed and the door sill indicators blinking, if you have your key in your pocket the trunk will open pressing the VW micro switch. When you close the trunk the alarm will re-arm. Mine works, it's a NA '04 V-8 and has been trouble free. Print out these posts and show them to your dealer.
      RB

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-26-2007 09:21 AM #11
      Hi Alex:

I will be home in Toronto later this week (probably Wednesday) - I'll give you a call and we can arrange to meet up and figure out what the story on your trunk lid microswitch is.

To the best of my knowledge, if a Phaeton has a power operated trunk lid (power opening and closing feature), it will have a microswitch behind the logo on the trunk lid, and if the Phaeton does not have a power operated trunk lid, it will not have a microswitch behind the logo. I am pretty sure this is how it is organized, but I'm not quite ready to bet the rent money on it. Anyway, wait till the middle of the week when I get back. For the next few days, I am concentrating on transmissions (I am in Germany, near Saarbrucken, which is where the 5 speed transmission used in the W12 is built).

Michael

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-26-2007 09:28 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by brutus13 »
      PLEASE: EVERYONE FROM NORTH AMERICA THAT HAS THIS FEATURE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS POST WITH YOUR CONFIRMATION OF THE VW LOGO TRUNK OPENING FUNCTIONALITY AND WHERE YOU ARE FROM.

Alex:

Relax already - jeez, there are 3,200 Phaetons in North America. I think about half a dozen responses should be sufficient to establish a consensus, you don't need to hear from everyone. Also, posting in ALL CAPS is gauche, folks will thing you are a lawyer or something like that...

We're a pretty calm group of enthusiasts here, and we have excellent relations with VW tech support staff both in North America and in Germany - so no need to panic, we'll get it all figured out and working for you, that is for sure. Keep in mind that the Phaeton is a bit of a rarity - there are more Ferraris and Bentleys sold every year in NAR that there were Phaetons in the three years it was offered. So, it's not surprising that the dealer staff are sometimes not fully up on it. That's why the forum exists - so we can resolve glitches like this without creating any stress for anyone.

Michael

Vehicles
      05-26-2007 10:25 AM #13
      Quote »
      If the Phaeton does not have a power operated trunk lid, it will not have a microswitch behind the logo. I am pretty sure this is how it is organized, but I'm not quite ready to bet the rent money on it.

In the UK (at least) my boot logo has the microswitch behind it. The only reason I could think of for not including the switch is to stop tea leaves opening the boot whilst stopped at the lights but since Phaeton owners are often unaware of the button...

14. 05-26-2007 11:07 AM #14
      Thanks Michael. I am relaxed. It is just irritating when everybody I spoke to was telling me that I was mistaken and that the feature does not exist in NAR Phaetons. This included VW Canada.

Wen I went to pick up my car today from VW Villa they continued to maintain that they have no information on the feature and that this has been confirmed by the area service rep.

I thank all the people that responded to my post.

15. 05-26-2007 12:37 PM #15
      Most Phaeton owners are not on this forum, so I would not expect any where near 3200 respnses.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-27-2007 11:25 AM #16
      The other 3,100 lurk.

17. 05-27-2007 11:57 AM #17
      I was told my W12 didn't come with the trunk microswitch because it is the 1st generation PE even though it has all the other imaginable bells & whistles and since no one could confirm or disprove it, I chose to let it go as I have lived without it for a long while now.

18. 05-27-2007 02:36 PM #18
      That doesn't really make sense since most of the responses are from 2004 Phaeton owners, which as far as I know is the first generation vehicle.

However, based on my experience, I have no doubt that you were told that.

19. 05-27-2007 04:04 PM #19
      Just about every car with the Keyless option I've seen also had the trunk micro-switch. I don't know if anyone has it wothout the Keyless feature. Anyone out there that does, let us know.

Vehicles
      05-27-2007 05:24 PM #20
      One thing I'd imagine that supports the argument that the microswitch is present in every car is that there's no build code for cars with, or without, it.

Harry

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-27-2007 05:28 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by maverixz »
      I was told my W12 didn't come with the trunk microswitch because it is the 1st generation PE...

Malcolm:

There were a very small number of 2004 W12 Phaetons imported into North America prior to the delivery of the big tranche of Premier Editions. These very early production 2004 W12s were, for the most part, press cars or VW executive vehicles. They did not conform to the build specification for the "Premiere Edition", all of which had exactly the same option fitment (and exactly the same colour scheme - black outside, beige inside).

Have a look at your VIN - if it ends in a number below 8000, it is possible that you have one of these early production cars. Have a look at your trunk lid hinges as well - if you have the cast aluminum hinges, then you have a power trunk, and if you have a power trunk, then you have a microswitch behind the VW logo on the trunk lid (I will bet the rent money on that last sentence).

Below is a picture of the cast aluminum trunk hinges

Michael

Last edited by PanEuropean; 04-12-2012 at 04:51 PM.

22. 05-27-2007 05:43 PM #22
      Getting back to my original question, how is it the no one at VW Canada knows anything about the microswitch feature.

Is it a "hidden" feature that they don't know is available on NAR models?

23. 05-27-2007 06:56 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »

Malcolm:

There were a very small number of 2004 W12 Phaetons imported into North America prior to the delivery of the big tranche of Premier Editions. These very early production 2004 W12s were, for the most part, press cars or VW executive vehicles. They did not conform to the build specification for the "Premiere Edition", all of which had exactly the same option fitment (and exactly the same colour scheme - black outside, beige inside).

Have a look at your VIN - if it ends in a number below 8000, it is possible that you have one of these early production cars. Have a look at your trunk lid hinges as well - if you have the cast aluminum hinges, then you have a power trunk, and if you have a power trunk, then you have a microswitch behind the VW logo on the trunk lid (I will bet the rent money on that last sentence).

Below is a picture of the cast aluminum trunk hinges

Michael

Michael,

My vin ends with 7533 and according to the Dealership (Alexandria Volkswagen, VA) where I bought it from, it is a PE which is what makes the whole thing weird and as per having the hinges, it has everything else like the polished hinges, auto trunk closure button besides the trunk hatch (that receeds when opened), internal driver side trunk release et al. Some of which can be seen in the pictures below.

Modified by maverixz at 8:31 PM 5-27-2007

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-27-2007 07:28 PM #24
      Malcolm:

I'm positive that your Phaeton has a microswitch behind the VW logo on the trunk lid. I will bet the rent money on this.

Go out to the car, press straight inwards (forwards) exactly in the middle of the logo (where the bottom of the V meets the top middle of the W), and listen for a tiny click. If you hear one, that's the microswitch.

Michael

Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-07-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-27-2007 07:29 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by brutus13 »
      ... how is it the no one at VW Canada knows anything about the microswitch feature?

It probably has to do with the fact that VW only sold about 115 Phaetons in Canada during the entire 3 year period that the car was offered.

Michael

26. 05-27-2007 07:42 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »

It probably has to do with the fact that VW only sold about 115 Phaetons in Canada during the entire 3 year period that the car was offered.

Michael

It probably has to do with the fact that the Phaeton honeys have been absorbed into the Toureg (insert adjective). The collective IQ may have sagged somewhat. I've never seen a group as sharp as the Phaeton customer care group.

27. 05-27-2007 08:19 PM #27
      Michael; Do you want me to eMail you the address of where to send the "rent money"?

I had the micro switch in my V8 so I know exactly where it is and what it feels and sounds like when you press it. My W12 has the automatic trunk but no micro switch. I have a feeling that it accompanied cars with Kessy only but am not 100% sure so I wouldn't bet the "rent money" on it!

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-28-2007 07:32 AM #28
      Jay:

You are correct, the microswitch will only be present if the car has keyless access. That is because the whole premise of the microswitch in the trunk lid is that when it is activated (pressed), the keyless access system scans the area behind the car for the presence of a key, and if a key is detected, it then lifts the trunk lid.

Sorry about the confusion here - this post is getting kind of disjointed. Let me try to sum up what we know so far:

1) Keyless Access is a prerequisite for an exterior trunk logo microswitch.

2) All of the 'Premiere Edition' MY 2004 W12 Phaetons were equipped with keyless access, but not all MY 2004 W12 Phaetons imported into NAR were 'Premiere Editions'.

Does this sound correct?

Michael

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-28-2007 07:38 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by jimay »
      It probably has to do with the fact that the Phaeton [customer care staff] have been absorbed into the Toureg [customer care group]...

No, I don't think that has anything to do with things. To the best of my knowledge, there are either 3 or 4 employees in the Phaeton Customer Care group, and about a year ago, this team took on the additional responsibility of looking after a subset of the Touareg owners (the V10 TDI owners, I think) following the decision to stop importing the Phaeton to NAR. I believe that the rationale behind this decision was to avoid layoffs within the Phaeton Customer Care group, because demand for their services would have progressively fallen off once sales of new Phaetons ceased.

So, by extending the services of the PCC team to some of the Touareg owners, VW has justified keeping the team intact - a good decision, in my opinion.

Michael

30. 05-28-2007 09:59 AM #30
      You are correct sir!

I seem to remember when you examined my car last year that you thought it had some European specs as it was an early VW of A car with a VIN below ....7000. Ability to open sunroof and windows with the key fob as I recall and some other little differences.

31. 05-29-2007 04:23 PM #31
      (1) does this mean that if I have microswith I shoud have keyless access as well?

Vehicles
      Phaeton 3.0 V6 Diesel 2006 Luna Blue / Sunny Beige
      05-29-2007 05:27 PM #32
      Simple really. You unlock the central locking with one or two pushes of the key fob. That allows you to open the doors by pulling the handles in old-fashioned way OR push the boot / trunk emblem to open the boot. No keyless stuff needed.

My car is not keyless but does have the microswitch. I believe that all other UK cars (at least recent ones) are the same.

The mystery really seems to be whether there is truly a single Phaeton without such a switch. OTOH, some may not be in working order ...

Viv

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-29-2007 08:01 PM #33
      Well...

I flew back from Zürich to Toronto this morning, and Alex came by my house this afternoon with his Phaeton, and the two of us got to work.

First thing we did was to run a diagnostic scan on the vehicle. There were no faults present in the Central Comfort Controller (controller 46), which is the 'master' controller that the power trunk lid controller is slaved to.

Next thing we did was run a series of function tests on the controller. The function tests, which can be run either with a VAG-COM or a VAS 5052 diagnostic scan tool, clearly demonstrated that there was nothing whatsoever wrong with the function of the J605 power trunk lid controller. During different phases of the function test, the trunk lid opened, it closed, the latch extended, the latch retracted - in other words, everything worked perfectly.

So - we then decided to have a look at the measured value blocks for controller 46 to determine if the controller was getting a valid signal from the microswitch. We could hear the microswitch making a 'tick' sound every time it was actuated, and my experience with microswitches in aircraft installations is that if they make a sound, they generally work - there is about a 99% correlation between hearing the clicking sound and a properly functioning switch. But... even though we could hear the click, we did not get any response on the diagnostic scan tool indicating that we were pressing the button. This was odd, and led us to suspect that perhaps the switch was not working. We tested all the other switches that relate to trunk operation - the driver door switch, the trunk closing switch, and the New Jersey Escape Handle (a feature found only on NAR vehicles), and noted that the New Jersey Escape Handle didn't work either.

Facts so far:

1) Controller is properly coded, and shows no faults.
      2) Trunk slave controller passes all function tests.
      3) TWO switches do not report function when MVBs are checked.

The fact that two switches are inoperative is significant. One inoperative switch would be a reasonable finding - this would suggest a defective switch - but finding two inoperative switches raised a red flag. It is unlikely that two different switches would fail at the same time.

We decided to remove the trunk lid inner cover and check for a loose electrical connector. This is a simple task, the method for taking it apart is detailed at this post: Retrofitting an OEM Warning Triangle to theTrunk Lid. Once we had the cover off, we looked at the wiring. Everything was connected, but something just didn't look right - the cable from the back of the VW logo (the trunk lid microswitch) connected directly to the New Jersey Escape Handle, and the two connectors coming out of the main wiring bundle plugged into each other. This didn't seem to make any sense... unless the VW logo microswitch used radio waves or some non-physical method of communicating information to the rest of the car.

Alex's Phaeton was parked right behind my Phaeton in my driveway, so, we popped the inside trunk lid cover off of my Phaeton, and the cause of Alex's problem became apparant: The last person to have serviced Alex's car did not hook up the wiring correctly. The photo below shows what we found when we took the cover off of Alex's trunk lid. Note how the VW logo microswitch wire leads directly to the escape handle microswitch wire, and how the two connectors from the main wiring harness plug into each other.

Last edited by PanEuropean; 04-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-29-2007 08:02 PM #34
      Now, look at the photo below of my Phaeton, showing how the wires were originally hooked up when the car was built in Dresden:

Last edited by PanEuropean; 04-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-29-2007 08:06 PM #35
      It is obvious that the cause of all of Alex's problems was carelessness at the VW dealer who attempted to service the car. The technician did not pay attention to what he or she was plugging in.

This is sad - it wasted a lot of Alex's time, and probably has also wasted a lot of Volkswagen of America's warranty money. Alex and I, working together, managed to solve the problem in about 40 minutes. We used 39 of those minutes to carefully evaluate the facts, using basic principles of troubleshooting, and the remaining one minute to disconnect and properly reconnect the wires.

Alex's trunk lid now opens and closes when the VW logo is pressed. More important, from a safety point of view, the New Jersey Escape Handle now works as it should.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast