Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microswitch behind Trunk Lid Logo (for opening power trunk) does not work [TOC, Photos done]

Vehicles
      2004 V8 Touareg
      05-29-2007 08:29 PM #36
      "I love it when a plan comes together."
      Regards,
      Brent

2. 05-29-2007 08:48 PM #37
      Michael, thanks so much for your help today.

I can't believe you called me so soon after coming in from Europe today.

It was truly amazing watching you in action.

By using your laptop and a bit of logical reasoning, you were able to solve a problem that VW Villa was unable to solve.

This is the same dealership that told me that my vehicle did not have the feature that you restored to working order.

I would bet anyone's "rent check" that there is probably no one outside of that glass building in Dresden that knows as much about the Phaeton as our forum moderator.

Thanks again.

Alex

3. 05-29-2007 08:57 PM #38
      Michael, when you're finished figuring these things out could you explain the E=mc2 to me....I just can't seem to understand it!

Seriously, you make life so much easier for us with your knowledge and most of all willingness to help with all things Phaeton. I think you have had personal contact with everyone who is on our Forum in one way or another and I wholeheartedly thank you!

We'll be planning a testamonial GTG to honor your work later in the year!

Vehicles
      2004 V8 Touareg
      05-29-2007 09:06 PM #39
      Quote, originally posted by brutus13 »
      I would bet anyone's "rent check" that there is probably no one outside of that glass building in Dresden that knows as much about the Phaeton as our forum moderator.

Uhh, we all knew this. Well most of us. Jay do you need Michael's address to where to send the money?
      Regards,
      Brent

5. 05-29-2007 11:35 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by brutus13 »

This is the same dealership that told me that my vehicle did not have the feature that you restored to working order.

Why do some human beings in this world just outright LIE? Or, why do they say stupid things that they do not know anything about?

Why not just say, "Hmmm, WE DON'T KNOW -- Let us check into that for you by calling some experts on the matter and get back to you with an informed response that we hope will be helpful to you, our valued customer?"

Is this so hard?

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-30-2007 05:09 AM #41
      Quote, originally posted by stjarna »
      Why do some human beings in this world just outright LIE? Or, why do they say stupid things that they do not know anything about?

I've often wondered that myself, and I think the cause of the problem is partly lack of education, and partly cultural issues. That particular problem - folks taking a position quickly, without the information needed to make an educated decision, then defending it even when it appears indefensible - seems to be a North America characteristic. I see a lot of that in Canada and the USA, sometimes in the UK too, but very rarely in Continental Europe.

I think that folks who are perhaps not well educated in their trade often feel an obligation to 'come up with an answer' in order to avoid giving the customer the impression that they don't know the answer (the latter being the reality), then personal pride causes them to defend their original position even when the evidence suggests it is not credible.

In Continental Europe, folks tend to accept information presented at face value, and if they don't know the answer, they are more comfortable saying "I don't know the answer". Large organizations - car companies, aircraft companies, even governments - seem to be set up in such a way that it is easier to find someone who will know the answer.

I know what you are saying, though... it is kind of sad.

Michael

7. 05-30-2007 10:01 AM #42
      Michael,

What did you do to find out if Alex's car had the microswitch and what steps did you go through tofix it? Did you use VAGcom? I would like to try it out and when/if I find out I have the Microswitch then I can go use my aluminum baseball bat on the service technician at the VW dealership that told me my car doesn't have it.

Modified by maverixz at 9:42 AM 5-30-2007

8. 05-30-2007 10:20 AM #43

That particular problem - folks taking a position quickly, without the information needed to make an educated decision, then defending it even when it appears indefensible - seems to be a North America characteristic......I think that folks who are perhaps not well educated feel an obligation to 'come up with an answer' in order to avoid giving the VOTERS the impression that they don't know the answer (the latter being the reality), then personal pride causes them to defend their original position even when the evidence suggests it is not credible.

Sorry, I couldn't help applying this to an all too familiar situation!

Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      05-30-2007 10:42 AM #44
      Arn't all repairs performed by VW delerships on Phaetons documented?

What repair action resulted in mis-wiring these two components? Perhaps replacing the trunk controller?

Isn't it doubtful the vehicle was assembled wrong at the factory?

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-30-2007 03:43 PM #45
      Alex reported that the trunk lid microswitch worked just fine for the first year that he had the car - this rules out any possible error at the factory.

11. 05-30-2007 10:08 PM #46
      About 4 or 5 months ago, I took the vehicle in to have the braided wiring harness (in the trunk) replaced as it was frayed. This required the removal of the trunk lid inner cover. It was when they performed this service that they must have improperly wired the connection.

I am just happy that my vehicle was repaired and I have to thank Michael for that.

I did get an apologetic call from VW Canada today, but I still do not know why everyone was under the impression that the feature was unavailable in NAR vehicles.

Is this a hidden feature? I don't think so from what I have seen on this forum (see Michael's PDF of the instructions in German).

Again, thanks to Michael, I am a happy man.

12. 09-18-2007 09:51 PM #47
      Paging Michael!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to resolve the problem with my emblem/trunk release switch by taking the car to another dealership where they said that it was an error from the factory assembly line. They tested the circuit and found it was open and noticed that the rear emblem/switch on my car was not the standard one that comes with a car with Kessy. So they ordered the one meant for a car with kessy, installed it today and presto, my trunk works like a charm.

Thank you very much for the information you provided that made me persist with resolving the issue.

Modified by maverixz at 7:40 PM 9-19-2007

13. 09-19-2007 10:31 PM #48
      Having an inoperable trunk microswitch myself, I called Volkswagon this afternoon & was advised that many Phaetons, especially North American Phaetons, have had there trunk micro switches disabled because of problems with trunk lids opening during automated tunnel car washes. VW went on to say the a Pheaton dealer should be able to re-enable the switch however if a tunnel car wash were to be the owners prefered method of keeping the vehicals clean, it is best to leave this switch disabled and instead use the key fab control or trunk release switch located in the drivers side front door.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      09-19-2007 10:52 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by Tampa »
      Having an inoperable trunk microswitch myself, I called Volkswagon this afternoon & was advised that many Phaetons, especially North American Phaetons, have had there trunk micro switches disabled because of problems with trunk lids opening during automated tunnel car washes.

I think this sounds pretty strange to me and I wonder if anyone else on the forum has heard anything like this. I think the only way the trunk would open in a car wash due to the microswitch being depressed would be if you were standing behind it with the key fob. That does not sound like a likely scenario.

I've always found that the fob had to be in VERY close proximity to the trunk for the mechanism to work. I'm sure the trunk would not open by pressing the trunk switch while the key is in the ignition as this would be a security issue that VW would not permit.

Who exactly told you about this? Was it VW of America, or Phaeton Customer Care, or someone else?

Vehicles
      '14 Toyota Prius Five + ATP
      09-20-2007 08:37 AM #50
      Quote, originally posted by Tampa »
      North American Phaetons, have had there trunk micro switches disabled because of problems with trunk lids opening during automated tunnel car washes.

This sounds suspect -- I'd be keen to discover your source.

--Chris

16. 09-20-2007 01:15 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by chrisj428 »

This sounds suspect -- I'd be keen to discover your source.

Sure Chris,

The source is Volkswagon U.S. (877) 742-3866. There are four Pheaton experts in this office. Ask to speak with Diane. The case number is 70304110. My Phaeton's VIN is WVWAF63D048008837. subject vehical is a 2004 Phaeton, coucou grey with a list price of $64,600, add Comfort package $2,900, Tech package $1,150, keyless $500, upgraded radio $1,000, 18" wheels n/c. The production date was October 15, 2003. The vehical was early production 2004 which (at the time) did not include the easy close doors.

Diane at VW was simply wonderfull. Piech, if you are reading this, Please give her a raise.

Guys - don't tear apart you truck lids to fix the microswith if you don't have too!

Chris, please confirm with VW & clear my good name!

Vehicles
      '14 Toyota Prius Five + ATP
      09-20-2007 02:38 PM #52
      Believe me, Bryan, I was going for a confirm/deny before you even read my post.

And, class, there have been instances reported whereby the trunk would open on it's own in carwashes and PCC have directed to disable the microswitch at the customer's request.

I never doubted you -- I wanted to verify the veracity of the information you were receiving.

--Chris

18. 09-20-2007 05:05 PM #53
      Understand Chris. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I take my Phaeton back to the dealer to have the trunks micro switch enabled/fixed. I can only hope that it as easy as restoring “switches switch” to the “on” position as was VW Corporate’s first suggestion.
      A car wash opening a truck. Who would have thought? Maybe they don’t have many tunnel car washes in Germany.

Hmmm. I wonder if it’s the switches switch that turns on and off the switch or if it’s the switches switches switches that turn on and off the switch. - Bryan

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      09-20-2007 07:56 PM #54
      Has anyone been able to open the trunk using the microswitch on the lid without the fob in the immediate vicinity?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 V8
      09-20-2007 09:02 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by car_guy »
      Has anyone been able to open the trunk using the microswitch on the lid without the fob in the immediate vicinity?

Why would one want to do that, very insecure.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      09-20-2007 09:44 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by ron kramer »

Why would one want to do that, very insecure.

I agree that no one would want it to work that way but supposedly trunks have opened by machinery in car washes. I'm just asking if anyone has been able to manually duplicate this behavior as I understood (and my experience supports) that the fob had to be near the trunk for the switch to work.

22. 10-05-2007 06:58 PM #57
      Quote, originally posted by chrisj428 »
      Believe me, Bryan, I was going for a confirm/deny before you even read my post.

And, class, there have been instances reported whereby the trunk would open on it's own in carwashes and PCC have directed to disable the microswitch at the customer's request.

I never doubted you -- I wanted to verify the veracity of the information you were receiving.

All, she just came back from the shop & the problem with my trunk micro switch has been fixed. It was not as simple as resetting or re-enabling the trunk switch.

This is exactly what was on the service ticket;

Customer states the truck switch built into the rear VW emblem is INOP and will not open truck.

Tech: “Ran GFF and found faults in keyless antennae system (KISSY). Removed driver’s seat to get to access/start control module. Removed left lower kick panel and b pillar trim and removed carpet in front on driver side. Removed door panels and outer door handles to test wiring to and from antennas and module. Antennas are good and wiring is ok. Replace module per Techline VTA (omitted) and coded and adapted keys to immobilizer and ECM. Reassembled all removed and checked fit and correct function. Cleared all fault memories and tested (KISSY) system. Keyless access is functioning as it should. Also keyless locking works now also. No faults returned.”

She was in the shop for five days & I believe the module had to be brought in from the Motherland. That said, I must offer my unqualified recommendation to Reeves Volkswagen in Tampa. Unlike other VW dealers that shall remain nameless, I was treated extremely well by Reeves VW and they did ultimately solve the problem. - Bryan

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-06-2007 03:04 AM #58
      Hi Bryan:

Thanks a lot for posting that very detailed description about how you solved the problem, and also for posting the recommendation for your VW dealer in Tampa.

Coincidentally, I have exactly the same problem with my Phaeton - the trunk won't open via the push-button on the logo or via the button on the key fob, but it opens fine when I lift the button on the driver door. I have already ordered a replacement Access and Start Controller (KESSY), and hope to install it next week. It is a nuisance of a job to get at this controller - it is hidden underneath the driver footwell carpet. We have illustrated instructions for access to this controller at this post: Retrofitting Keyless Start to a North American Phaeton.

Michael

24. 10-06-2007 01:53 PM #59
      Quote, originally posted by car_guy »

I agree that no one would want it to work that way but supposedly trunks have opened by machinery in car washes. I'm just asking if anyone has been able to manually duplicate this behavior as I understood (and my experience supports) that the fob had to be near the trunk for the switch to work.

I tried it with the key/fob in the ignition (which is typically where the key would be when going through a car wash) and when I pressed the microswitch to open it, it wouldn't open.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-06-2007 10:56 PM #60
      I believe that there is a speed limiting function associated with opening the trunk - it won't open at speeds greater than 5 km/h (about 3 MPH) or something like that.

Michael

26. 10-07-2007 12:15 PM #61
      Quote, originally posted by PanEuropean »
      Hi Bryan:

Thanks a lot for posting that very detailed description about how you solved the problem, and also for posting the recommendation for your VW dealer in Tampa.

Coincidentally, I have exactly the same problem with my Phaeton - the trunk won't open via the push-button on the logo or via the button on the key fob, but it opens fine when I lift the button on the driver door. I have already ordered a replacement Access and Start Controller (KESSY), and hope to install it next week. It is a nuisance of a job to get at this controller - it is hidden underneath the driver footwell carpet. We have illustrated instructions for access to this controller at this post: Retrofitting Keyless Start to a North American Phaeton.

Michael

Michael, Please let us know how it goes. - Bryan

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-07-2007 08:03 PM #62
      Hi Bryan:

I will do that. I have an appointment booked at my (new) VW dealer to get all the work done this coming week. I just have to free up the day to be able to get it done... that's the hard part. The work itself is easy, and will be a pleasant relief from the aviation industry.

Michael

Vehicles
      2007 VW Phaeton Tdi
      10-24-2007 09:46 PM #63
      This thread has sent me out at 2.00am with a flashlight to investigate a logo-mounted micro-switch. Seems I'm catching a strange bug.
      My logo clicks but doesn't open the boot/trunk, whether with the car locked, unlocked, or part-locked. This is with me standing key in hand pressing the logo "where the V meets the W".

It doesn't have the keyless feature although it does have automatic boot/trunk opening/closing. The door-mounted switch works the release as does the keyfob. It's a 2007 SWB UK model and I wonder if Dresden could make the same assembly mistake as the NAR service technician did. Surely not.

btw does the VIN tell whether the micro-switch opening feature is fitted?

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-25-2007 07:46 AM #64
      Hi Richard:

The locking and security specifications for the UK market are different than the rest of the world due to compliance with 'Thatcham' standards established by the insurance industry. I am not familiar with the exact functional specs for the UK market.

I suggest that you really carefully review the owner manual to see what it has to say about the topic of the boot lid unlocking button. In some other markets, boot lid unlock via the trunk emblem pushbutton works if the vehicle is unlocked. You might need to check and see if locking the bonnet (via the key cylinder lock) has any effect on boot lid unlocking. I kind of suspect that the answer will be found somewhere in the fine details of the owner manual, but if you have no luck, ask your service adviser to contact the UK central service office and ask them. I have met the tech support staff from VW of UK and they are pretty sharp - they will be able to either provide or get the answer for you.

Michael

Vehicles
      2007 VW Phaeton Tdi
      10-25-2007 09:22 AM #65
      Well, now the sun is up we have some progress to report. The VW logo micro-switch is effective once the boot lid is released via the keyfob ie. it will stop and restart the opening process. But only (mark this!) after the lid has risen appreciably. Otherwise, the lid settles back into the closed position without locking up and the logo-switch sulks. So it seems the logo-switch is ineffective when the lid is in the closed position whether or not locked, but not otherwise. The logo-switch also closes the lid, as an alternative to deploying the inner boot button, presumably for use by very tall Volkspeople.

I wonder whether this odd arrangement is the UK's answer to the worldwide carwash-and-brush-up-the-tail predicament mentioned elsewhere. Certainly, it is an undocumented feature since the UK manual 3.1.1 states, "Unlock the vehicle. Press the middle of the VW badge on the boot lid => fig. 28 to open the bootlid." Can't put it clearer than that!

Btw I can't find anything in 3.2 on a bonnet cylinder lock, it only mentions the internal release lever. Where would I find the cylinder lock?

Thank you Michael for your suggestions. I'm getting too much from this extraordinary engineering tour de force to let it out of my hands even for a moment during the honeymoon period. No doubt I'll get together a short list of questions to take back to VW before long. Meanwhile, a recent bird-strike calls me back to the drive....

PS If the New Jersey Escape Handle is what I think it is, do they fit one in Chicago too ?

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-25-2007 05:37 PM #66
      Richard:

Do you have the fully hydraulic powered trunk lid on your car? In other words, the lid that will open and close (fully) by itself? Please advise. Your response above suggests that you have the power trunk opening and closing feature, not simply power operated unlatching.

If you do have the power operated lid (as evidenced by a rectangular button on the base of the trunk lid that you press to close it once it is fully open), and the logo microswitch is not opening the trunk, then I think the solution is to have the trunk lid "re-adapted" by your VW dealer. There is a "guided function" in the Volkswagen scan tool (5051, 5052, etc.) to "re-adapt" the power opening and closing feature.

Michael

Vehicles
      2007 VW Phaeton Tdi
      10-25-2007 07:08 PM #67
      Yes, I do have a hydraulically powered opening/closing boot. And the only failing is that the logo-switch won't open the closed boot (even when the car is unlocked) although it stops and starts the process once initiated, as well as closing the boot once opened. So perhaps it needs a software reset as you suggest. But I rather think the idea is that for security reasons you need access to the car's interior, or a key, to open the boot.

Nice car!

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      10-25-2007 09:18 PM #68
      Quote, originally posted by Aristoteles »
      But I rather think the idea is that for security reasons you need access to the car's interior, or a key, to open the boot.

I believe that security is addressed by the need for a key fob to be in close proximity to the trunk lid when the microswitch is pressed. In other words, even if someone is in the car and it is running, another person without a key fob cannot press the microswitch and open the trunk.

I know there have been "third person" reports of trunks opening in car washes, but no one on the forum has said they have been able, using the microswitch, to open or seen the trunk open without a key fob near the trunk.

Steven

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-25-2007 11:15 PM #69
      Quote, originally posted by Aristoteles »
      Yes, I do have a hydraulically powered opening/closing boot....

But, no keyless entry, is that correct?

Michael

35. 10-25-2007 11:34 PM #70
      my car's trunk has opened while driving down the highway while both of my hands were on the steering wheel.....but then again it has not happened again so it might have been my cars way of telling me to slow down!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast