Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer AVIC-Z2 install semi-DIY

1. 06-07-2007 03:52 AM #1
      Here's my writeup on my install of the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 and Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod module into my 2007 Jetta. It is by no means meant to be a comprehensive DIY dcument. Rather, it's more of a "hey if I can do it, you can do it!" document, with the hopes of passing along a few hints if someone attempts a similar install. I gained invaluable knowledge from others on the Vortex forums and the writers of some of the well-known DIY guides. Please see the established DIY guides on trim removal, precautions, tools, etc etc.

I mention some specialized tools below, but other than that, I used a cheap crimping tool, many red barrel connectors and some bell-shaped butt connectors. Miscellaneous helpful items include: small cable ties, Velcro straps and/or adhesive pads. This is not just for neatness...no one's going to see it when you're done. This is to keep the wires untangled, which will make the install go more easily, and save some of your sanity...especially if you have to troubleshoot. Also, you may look dorky with it on, but a headband-mounted light is great when you need to see into some dark space and you need your hands free. The newer LED-based ones last many hours on a set of batteries.

In my steps below, I've tried to link the descriptive text with the picture by putting the picture title in parentheses. I just didn't have the energy to type numbers onto the pictures or rename them all. Click on the thumbnails to expand them. Using thumbnails allows lower bandwidth users to only view what they want to view, and improves readability of the page in your browser.

Feel free to post questions here in this thread. In case someone in the future needs some guidance on a similar install, he or she will have more information to use. Let's keep the community alive!

So, on with the show.

1. Many thanks to Gary Mazur and Peripheral Electronics! What you're looking at is a wiring interface for the MkV, specifically designed to output the signals that Nav systems use (VSS, Illumination signal wire, Parking Break signal, etc.) It also handles basic power needs and has 8 leads for the standard 4 speaker zone setup (FL, FR, RL, RR). And yes it's running what is techincally BETA code. It interfaces with the CAN-BUS via the wiring harness and (I assume) interprets and translates these digital signals into analog signals via a microcontroller. It also interfaces perfectly with the PESWICAN and PESWIPS mentioned below. This product is soon to be released and bears the model name VWAH. (img_1081)

2. Here are the components that are being installed. Some things are obvious, the modules used for steering control interface are there too. I've been advised by Mr Mazur that they are more properly referred to as model names PESWICAN and PESWIPS. Also note the Nesco 5 piece trim tool removal set. Something like this is invaluable. And if you wondered what kind of tools the Teletubbies might use, well, now you know. The dash kit is the American International kit model VW-K1017. Optional equipment: Peet's Espresso Forte blend. Well, maybe optional for you. (img_1098)

3. Even on the Crutchfield site, there is not a good back shot of the AVIC-Z2. Well here's one just in case you were curious. When preparing your install it almost feels like you can never have enough intel. (img_1102)

4. Lest we forget: the Metra 40-EU55 antenna adapter. You'll notice the time-honored Motorola male plug on one end and the Fakra connector on the other. Key point: that 12v lead is needed if you have the in-glass diversity antenna system. That system has a relatively low signal output and it needs to be amplified. Check your vehicle, Bentley docs, etc to confirm what system you have. Yes you'll lose the benefit of the diversity system since that magic has to be done by the radio itself. This connector will only fit one of the two antenna feeds that the OEM head unit uses. Just leave the other one disconnected. (img_1109)

5. I used the many guides out there to get started plunging into the dash. I mainly went by the excellent writeup done by WaHooligan82 for his OEM Nav install ( http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3121070 ). Others have mentioned using credit cards (the expired ones, folks!) as trim removal tools and I have to agree this method is a good one. Here I'm using a couple of cards to keep the clips from popping back into place while I continue circle and lift the trim with the Teletubbie tool. (img_1112-1)

6. You may have seen a post of mine, asking for help in removing the top dual vent console piece. Well as opposed to others here, mine was a royal b^tch to remove. Dunno why. And here's what I get for venturing into the dark places where end customers are not meant to tread. Luckily after all was completed, there don't seem to be any obvious ill effects. Still, a disappointment. (img_1116)

7. Surprisingly sparse in there, eh? (img_1119)

8. If you use the AI dash mounting kit, you'll notice that after fitting the mounting ears to the faceplate, the angled brackets on the ends don't leave you much room when it comes to the depth of the head unit. After checking as many combinations as I could do I finally confirmed my belief that those had to go. (img_1122)

9. Here you see the work over at the Jade tree plan--er I mean workbench, where I removed the angled backstops from the ear plates. (img_1123)

10. This is one of those moments where you place palm squarely into forehead to get that classic smacking sound. Pioneer made sure to include what are probably some of the shortest hardware screws out there. At 5x6 mm (I don't know the metric thread specification) I was ready to bike down to the hardware store to get the same screw with at least enough length to get through the mounting ears. (img_1126)

11. But it actually seemed sturdy enough with only one screw per side (only that location was thin enough to use the supplied mounting screws). This is probably not the best way to do this so I recommend you head to your local hardware and pick up some of these that are at least 12mm or so...I used the oval-shaped spacers on the AI kit to firm up the contact between the rmounting ears. I might add another screw or two later when I add more modules to the Pioneer (img_1127).

12. Get a wire stripper like this one, with the auto-sizing and grasping assembly. Believe me, it will save you much grief. (img_1128)

13. Don't forget to attach that wire to some 12v source. Here I've used the Accessory power feed, so that it only gets power when the key is in the Acc position or the car is running. Again, if you don't have a diversity antenna system in your car, you may not need an amplified antenna adapter. (img_1129)

14. I added a small cable tie to the antenna adapter a couple inches out from where the amplifier barrel is. This is to serve as a strain relief. I just didn't like the look of how it joined at the barrel; I knew it would be jostled and pushed in the dash during the install, so better safe than sorry. (img_1130)

15. Much crimping later, I decided to fire up the system to make sure things were working. Looks good so far (img_1132)

16. Heck, even that iPod adapter module works. This is where I worry..when things start going right. (img_1134-1)

17. Another tool that you will definitely want. This is from the Spec Tools Ratcheting Set SPK4042. It wasn't cheap but I swear after fighting the car all day, when this one screw came out so easily, it was all worth it. This is the small piece of lower center panel trim just above the "non-ashtray" storage area. You need to remove this if you want to remove the glovebox. (img_1135-1)

18. Speaking of gloveboxes, you remember that horror story where that poor guy had something in his glovebox fall into the gaping hole at the back, screwing up his AC blower? Well I guess at one point, VW decided to put a plastic piece of trim on the back of the glovebox manual/documentation shelf. It just sort of clips on, straddling the back of the glovebox wall. Still though, let's take advantage of that opening and run the iPod interface cable through there. Just need to make a small notch and sand it down a bit to give us a bit of flexibility in maneuvering the cable. (img_1136)

19. And there it is, looking wounded as it slumps into the footwell. This is one of those moments where you look at this and the pile of trim pieces piled in the back seat, and you think...what the !@$# am I doing?! But press on, you have to put it all back together anyway. Might as well have a nice system when you're done. The OEM radio sits on the floor mat wondering what it did to deserve all this. (img_1138-1)

20. Sorry this picture is blown-out, it was hard to get the lighting right in that dark space. There's the modified backing trim, and the iPod module cable leads from there, over some of the structural metal of the dash, and into the center of the dash area. No worries: that metal is nicely rolled at the edges so it won't slash your cable to bits. From this angle, it might appear that the notch I made is an inch or so long and that the cable is pulled all the way into the notch. But the hole was just a small square, perhaps a bit more than 1/4" on a side. (img_1141)

21. Hate to go commercial here, but remember to always use Velcro® Brand for all your hook and fastener needs. (img_1142)

22. There's the iPod module, attached with Velcro to the back wall. This close up, there is an acute lack of scale, but suffice to say that whole area isn't very big. The large cable is the Pioneer IP-BUS cable that leads back to the main head unit. The iPod module also needs 12v power and ground, which you can see there. Be sure to put some secure backing (I used remaining "fuzzy" Velcro strips) under the module so that it won't wobble or rattle against the back wall. (img_1144)

22b. IMPORTANT NOTE: before you shove (carefully) all the wiring back into the dash and mount the head unit, take the GPS antenna lead (if you plan to mount it on the dash) and feed it, connector first, through the top vent piece (you can see this piece in image #4 in the WaHooligan82 writeup mentioned above. It is the panel laying just underneath the dash-top vent screen). Then connect it to the antenna jack on the head unit. You may want to bundle it together with other parts of the wiring to keep the strain off the lead so that it doesn't get disconnected. The reason is that the supplied Pioneer GPS "puck" antenna is just large enough to NOT fit through the top vent opening. That is, the piece of trim removed just after the vent screen as you are opening up the dash. I don't recall having to feed it through any other trim pieces, but just eyeball it when you are closing up. You'll be a Sad Panda if you are almost ready to finish and find that puck antenna won't go through the vent opening.

23. So everything is more or less reassembled and we get to the top vent screen trim that needs to be put back in place. Like many others, I decided to mount the GPS antenna on the dash. It's a fairly small antenna and lends itself so easily to this cable run where it quickly disappears back down the diffuser air vent. A quick but gentle filing down of the edge will give just enough room for the coax cable, but not so much that it will move around too much. (img_1145)

24. I wasn't 100% sure about the GPS reception, though, so I only used a small strip of Velcro for mounting in case I needed to remove it. I haven't pulled the lead snug since I will be removing that all again sometime in the near future. Ideally, it would be great to chop several feet out of that GPS coax and recrimp a new connector. Would save some valuable space inside the dash. (img_1147)

25. And here's what it looks like. You can see the trim wasn't 100% happy about going back into place, and the center top of the AI kit appears to be sagging a little bit. Not as bad as the Metra kits are known to do, though. Or is it due to the lack of the plastic tabs, which I broke in my fight against the evil sword-in-the-stone vent removal? I will be going back into the nether regions in the dash to run the bits for the backup/rear view camera and the Sirius module. So maybe I can improve how things fit back into place. All in all, though, not too shabby. (img_1146)

Thanks for reading. This is still a work in progress but I just couldn't wait to get something going! I don't have any decent pics of the AVIC-Z2 in action, but so far it seems great. For now, the microphone is clipped on the dash over the steering wheel and the cable is not properly installed, just running up through the bottom of the dash trim. I want to try some different locations in the cabin to see which works best. Many people seem to like to mount it near the sunglasses storage box, so I'll probably do that. Not sure I'm looking forward to getting up in there, though.

For the steering wheel controls, I only mapped three: Volume up, down and Mute. But even these three alone are worth the install, IMO. I don't like the idea of using the right-side controls for track incrementing, since they also affect what's on the MFD. Holy grail: if someone can make a context-sensitive steering wheel adapter.

All the signals from the Peripheral Electronics interface are working fine, and the sound from the Pioneer system is very good. Even though I'm using the stock speakers and no external amp, there is a marked difference in the sound quality between this head unit and the OEM head unit. In particular, the bass isn't muddy, boomy and indistinct. With the OEM stereo, I felt like the Bass control knob either made the music sound anemic, or just boomy with no real definition. The Pioneer has two user-customizable EQ presets done via a 3-band parametric equalizer. It also has some factory presets, most of which are annoying.

Coming soonish: putting the mic in properly, the Sirius module install, including IP-BUS cable run from dash to trunk (!) and eventually, the Bluetooth module install.

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-07-2007 06:23 AM #2
      Excellent DIY... I got the Z2 also, great unit. I couldn't wait for that new Peripheral interface and all the Nav inputs and ordered the Pioneer one from Europe; let's see if it works in the USA. I really feel that the VSS input is at least required installation for location accuracy. Thanks for the Diversity antenna tip also, I've been noticing some reception issues in certain FM stations in my area.

One suggestion for the GPS antenna location:

It works fine in that location.

3. 06-07-2007 11:20 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by M3Tech »
      Excellent DIY... I got the Z2 also, great unit. I couldn't wait for that new Peripheral interface and all the Nav inputs and ordered the Pioneer one from Europe; let's see if it works in the USA. I really feel that the VSS input is at least required installation for location accuracy. Thanks for the Diversity antenna tip also, I've been noticing some reception issues in certain FM stations in my area. It works fine in that location.

thanks, man. I think the writeup took as long as the install ok not really...ah good to know about mounting in there! There was a European Pioneer interface? Heck I didn't even know!

yeah re: antenna, yeah it's a real shame to lose the diversity system. I had some other post mumbling about that. I even mailed Pioneer suggesting they make an outboard module via IP-BUS that could do the diversity tuning function. Heh they probably couldn't hit -delete- on that mail fast enough!

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-07-2007 11:36 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by matt23 »

thanks, man. I think the writeup took as long as the install ok not really...ah good to know about mounting in there! There was a European Pioneer interface? Heck I didn't even know!

Me neither until I read about it here in the vortex, http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/...PI221 ... It is not available in the USA so I went ahead and ordered one from the UK a week ago (backordered until the 15th). I do not know if it is going to work for USA VW CAN though, I hope so.

Probably it will be a good idea if I get that amplified antenna adapter of yours now while this adapter in in transit and install both at the same time... thanks!

5. 06-07-2007 12:20 PM #5
      great write up, i am installing my Kenwood system with a friend this Saturday.
      Everybody has a plan till they get punched in the mouth
      1986 535i | 1995 M3 | 2002 337 | 2005 MCS | 2006 GTI | 2007 GTI | 2008 R32 | 2006 CAYENNE S | 2012 GOLF R | 1991 964
      GONE | PRESENT

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI DSG
      06-07-2007 12:37 PM #6
      i wish i could save this somewhere to come back to it, when i get my Pioneer Z2

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-07-2007 12:41 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by fadynaime »

Click on the "Track this Topic" link in the top right of your screen...

8. 06-07-2007 12:42 PM #8
      Awesome writeup -- thanks!

9. 06-07-2007 02:13 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by fadynaime »

yeah but be careful. You could suffer the whims of free photo hosting One thing you can do in Firefox, IE, etc. Make a folder/directory somewhere on your computer. Then when on this page, do a "Save Page As..." Browse to the folder you created and then just give the base .htm file the name you like. The browser will copy all the HTML and put all the pictures in a subfolder. "done and done!" -H. Simpson

Ronin: thanks! I only skinned one knuckle in this process, though, so I can't join the DIY Pantheon just yet. If I can pull off that IP-BUS home run from dash to trunk and not lose a limb or my sanity, then I'll be allll stylie!

10. 06-10-2007 04:40 PM #10
      Me neither until I read about it here in the vortex, http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/...PI221 ... It is not available in the USA so I went ahead and ordered one from the UK a week ago (backordered until the 15th). I do not know if it is going to work for USA VW CAN though, I hope so.

M3Tech - that adapter seems perfect; it apparently does the work of the 3 adapters I had to shove into my dash! Apparently imhondude had no trouble with it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...88092
      My only concern is whether or not that unit also outputs a parking brake signal.

Please keep us posted on how it works out. for you!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rocco x 2, 87 Rocco, 98 Jetta TDI, 01 Eurovan, 05 TDI wagon, 06 GLI, 10 Jetta wolfie, 13 A4Q
      06-10-2007 04:45 PM #11

For the steering wheel controls, I only mapped three: Volume up, down and Mute. But even these three alone are worth the install, IMO. I don't like the idea of using the right-side controls for track incrementing, since they also affect what's on the MFD. Holy grail: if someone can make a context-sensitive steering wheel adapter.

Just for some clarification on this...are you saying that if you map those buttons for track up/down, they'll still do just that even if you aren't on the Radio portion of the MFD? Or they won't work for other portions of the MFD once mapped for the radio? I think I could live with the former, not so much the latter. Or, is it a different problem altogether? Link to purchase these items? Thanks!

12. 06-10-2007 04:58 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by veedubtek »
      Just for some clarification on this...are you saying that if you map those buttons for track up/down, they'll still do just that even if you aren't on the Radio portion of the MFD?

veedubtek: yes that is the case. With the OEM radio removed, the CAN-BUS does not enable the MFD to be in a "radio" mode. So if you assign track up and down, your stereo will do it, and your MFD will change up and down a menu, or cycle through the readouts in the fuel economy readouts, etc.

For me, even using only 3 controls (volume up/down, mute) is still VERY useful and I use it all the time. To hear the NAV voice for instance, I can instantly mute the music. Or if you get in the car and the radio is THIS DAMN LOUD you can change it fast

That's why I'm saying the Holy Grail is: an adapter that fools the CAN-BUS into enabling the MFD Radio mode, and make it context-sensitive, the way the factory install works. Not sure if this is possible though as I am not wise to the sekr3t ways of the CAN-BUS

See the Peripheral Electronics page for more info on the modules. I am not sure when the VWAH module is scheduled to hit the market. I would contact PE for more info. http://peripheralelectronics.c...faces

13. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rocco x 2, 87 Rocco, 98 Jetta TDI, 01 Eurovan, 05 TDI wagon, 06 GLI, 10 Jetta wolfie, 13 A4Q
      06-10-2007 07:12 PM #13
      Awesome, thanks!

14. Former Advertiser John@20Squared's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '08 Rabbit, '02 Jetta, '96 GTI, '89 Coupe
      06-10-2007 07:21 PM #14
      Great write-up.

Not sure how the Ipod adapter works on the Z2, but I know with my D1 it was unbearable. Load times were garbage, only a 8 character read-out on the display, and only 2 buttons to control the ipod, forward and back. No easy way to swap playlists, artists, etc. I hated it and got rid of it for a AUX input adapter...much easier to use.

But then again, with the Z2, why is there a need for an ipod to be in the car when you have a 30gb harddrive to work with. haha.

15. 06-10-2007 09:55 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by John@20Squared »
      Great write-up.

Not sure how the Ipod adapter works on the Z2, but I know with my D1 it was unbearable. Load times were garbage, only a 8 character read-out on the display, and only 2 buttons to control the ipod, forward and back. No easy way to swap playlists, artists, etc. I hated it and got rid of it for a AUX input adapter...much easier to use.
      But then again, with the Z2, why is there a need for an ipod to be in the car when you have a 30gb harddrive to work with. haha.

thanks, John. Well the interface is fairly decent, the load times aren't too bad, maybe 2 seconds or a bit more in between 'pages'. As for song data, it's either using ID3v2 and truncating it a bit or using ID3v1. I haven't verified yet. If it's using v1, that's lame, but what do you expect from these manufacturers? They never truly "get it." But it certainly is better than 8 characters.

Heh well good point about needing an iPod or not. But fwiw, the user can use up to 10GB of the AVIC's disk drive. The other 20 is for the actual nav/map data etc. I have one CD on the library so far and it sounds fine, but there is that 2 or 3 second delay between tracks. For most people, that's no problem, but I listen to a lot of mixes (see ipod action shot above) and that can be distracting.

If anyone wants, I can post more detailed info on the iPod interface and/or check avic411.com forums for more info.

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-10-2007 10:14 PM #16

M3Tech - that adapter seems perfect; it apparently does the work of the 3 adapters I had to shove into my dash! Apparently imhondude had no trouble with it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...88092
      My only concern is whether or not that unit also outputs a parking brake signal.

Please keep us posted on how it works out. for you!

Thank you very much...

I already have the parking brake signal tapped into, so this adapter will complete the installation of this Z2 the way it is supposed to be.

That's some great news! I really do not like the search function of this forum, I searched for experiences with this adapter and none came up.

17. 06-10-2007 10:38 PM #17
      Thank you very much...
      That's some great news! I really do not like the search function of this forum, I searched for experiences with this adapter and none came up.

ok good to hear about your parking brake signal! sounds like you're almost there. yeah the search here can be a bit dodgy but you have to get in the mind of the average vortexer. This can mean using creative spelling techniques. I usually start from the simplest search for the server to the most complex. so start with topics, recent, archived. then body, recent, archived. use the AND feature and that can help cut down on bad results. In particular, try various combinations of product ID names or part numbers. The real killers are the 2 or 3-letter things.

Vehicles
      2013 Audi A4 2.0T quattro
      06-10-2007 10:40 PM #18

You are likely going to get the V2 interface which might address the whole right hand side of the steering wheel/MFD problem (hopefully). Can't find any info on what the new interface adds/fixes. Compatibility with the car shouldn't be an issue, our cars are identical to ROW as far as CANBus is concerned.

Also to connect the stereo to the CAN adapter, you will likely need ISO style plugs going by the instruction manual. They are sold in car stereo stores at 87-2001 VW install kits, just splice together with the harness that came with the HU and plug into the Pioneer CAN adapter.

The Nice Car:
      2013 Ibis White Audi A4 quattro 2.0T - Have HEX+CAN VCDS, PM Me

The Hoopty Beater: SOLD
      1987 Alpine White Audi 4000cs quattro "special build"

19. Former Advertiser John@20Squared's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '08 Rabbit, '02 Jetta, '96 GTI, '89 Coupe
      06-11-2007 01:34 AM #19

thanks, John. Well the interface is fairly decent, the load times aren't too bad, maybe 2 seconds or a bit more in between 'pages'. As for song data, it's either using ID3v2 and truncating it a bit or using ID3v1. I haven't verified yet. If it's using v1, that's lame, but what do you expect from these manufacturers? They never truly "get it." But it certainly is better than 8 characters.

Heh well good point about needing an iPod or not. But fwiw, the user can use up to 10GB of the AVIC's disk drive. The other 20 is for the actual nav/map data etc. I have one CD on the library so far and it sounds fine, but there is that 2 or 3 second delay between tracks. For most people, that's no problem, but I listen to a lot of mixes (see ipod action shot above) and that can be distracting.

If anyone wants, I can post more detailed info on the iPod interface and/or check avic411.com forums for more info.

I can only speak from personal experience. And if you read in the CD-IB100II, on Pioneer's website, or on AVIC411.com...everyone seems to confirm the 8 character only display. Not sure if that is just on the D1 and below or whether that is with all the models, but it looks like you are getting more then 8 characters above in the pictures.

I also wasnt aware of the fact that the Nav takes up 20GB of the 30GB hard-drive. That's kind of retarded.

I have been considering a D3 or a Z2. I was leaning towards the D3 for the longest time and then came to the conclusion that the lack of a tilt feature will bug the hell out of me in my MKIV considering how low it sits and how much glare can hit the screen. I've tried to run my D1 with the face flat a couple times and just couldn't really see much of the screen in some instances. I think I will spring for the Z2 once I get the car back from the body shop, running, and together completely.

PS-Is the CD-i200 compatible with the Z2...i hear that has better load times and whatnot.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      06-11-2007 07:51 AM #20
      Great write up
      Vag-Com Hex+Can-USB Bolingbrook, IL E-mail or PM

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-11-2007 08:02 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by NJRoadfan »

You are likely going to get the V2 interface which might address the whole right hand side of the steering wheel/MFD problem (hopefully). Can't find any info on what the new interface adds/fixes. Compatibility with the car shouldn't be an issue, our cars are identical to ROW as far as CANBus is concerned.

Also to connect the stereo to the CAN adapter, you will likely need ISO style plugs going by the instruction manual. They are sold in car stereo stores at 87-2001 VW install kits, just splice together with the harness that came with the HU and plug into the Pioneer CAN adapter.

Is there a Version 2 of this Pioneer adapter?

Vehicles
      2013 Audi A4 2.0T quattro
      06-11-2007 08:05 AM #22

Is there a Version 2 of this Pioneer adapter?

according to Pioneer EU's current adapter list, yes there indeed is: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/files...S.pdf

The Nice Car:
      2013 Ibis White Audi A4 quattro 2.0T - Have HEX+CAN VCDS, PM Me

The Hoopty Beater: SOLD
      1987 Alpine White Audi 4000cs quattro "special build"

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-11-2007 08:10 AM #23

ok good to hear about your parking brake signal! sounds like you're almost there. yeah the search here can be a bit dodgy but you have to get in the mind of the average vortexer. This can mean using creative spelling techniques. I usually start from the simplest search for the server to the most complex. so start with topics, recent, archived. then body, recent, archived. use the AND feature and that can help cut down on bad results. In particular, try various combinations of product ID names or part numbers. The real killers are the 2 or 3-letter things.

Actually, I'm pretty good in searching... the issue here is why this post of the CARPI adapter was archived when it was just a little over two months old and IMO it is the only adapter to be used for those installing Pioneer Navs in their cars. It should have been a great idea to sticky this post as an Audio and Electronics permanent post with so many people installing D3's.

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-11-2007 08:12 AM #24

according to Pioneer EU's current adapter list, yes there indeed is: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/files...S.pdf

Excellent... I will ask inmediately for that version to the UK seller.

Thank you very much...

Vehicles
      2012 M3/2010 CC
      06-11-2007 08:53 AM #25

I can only speak from personal experience. And if you read in the CD-IB100II, on Pioneer's website, or on AVIC411.com...everyone seems to confirm the 8 character only display. Not sure if that is just on the D1 and below or whether that is with all the models, but it looks like you are getting more then 8 characters above in the pictures.

PS-Is the CD-i200 compatible with the Z2...i hear that has better load times and whatnot.

I have the CD-IB100II and it shows way more than 8 characters, at least 16...

The CD-i200 is not compatible with the Z2, it is only a cable ; it is for the D3 only because the iPod control is integrated in the D3, thus needing only a connecting cable to the iPod. The Z2 do not have any iPod integration inside.

26. 06-11-2007 10:32 AM #26
      I'm about to install a Z2 into my GTI and have a feeling I'm going to be going through almost the exact same steps, so thanks for the pictures and details!!

Can you tell me more about the custom harness in step 1 (how I could get one, what exactly it does, etc)? Also, how does the PAC-CAN wire into it? Lastly, is PAC SWI-CAN the same thing as PESWICAN?

Modified by wkonkel at 8:13 AM 6-11-2007

Modified by wkonkel at 5:46 PM 6-11-2007

27. 06-11-2007 12:29 PM #27

I also wasnt aware of the fact that the Nav takes up 20GB of the 30GB hard-drive. That's kind of retarded.

yeah..retarded like a fox!

it's actually a good thing since that's 20GB of nav/map/POI data at your disposal; there is no switching out a map DVD from your drive when you want to play a CD or DVD or load MP3s from a CD-ROM. That's mainly how Pioneer justifies the doubling in price between the two different product lines...I guess.

re: character readout, Pioneer's documentation on the CD-IB100II puts different head units into different groups. It is possible that these different groups have different display capacities. This morning on my way into work I gave it another test. I think I have verified that the module is basically using ID3v1 data. That means 31 characters max for a song title or a track's artist name field. This seems to happen even if you have ID3v2 tags on the songs. That's pretty lame for 2007. But like I said, these manufacturers don't really "get it."

28. 06-11-2007 12:38 PM #28

that would be cool if they can pull that off. In order to do that, they'll need to tell the car's CAN-BUS that the OEM radio is installed, or at least somehow restoring the "AUDIO" mode to the MFD. That is, if we're to have radio control without indiscriminately scrolling or moving pages on the MFD menus.

29. 06-11-2007 12:41 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by wkonkel »
      I'm about to install a Z2 into my GTI and have a feeling I'm going to be going through almost the exact same steps, so thanks for the pictures and details!!

Can you tell me more about the custom harness in step 1 (how I could get one, what exactly it does, etc)? Also, how does the PAC-CAN wire into it? Lastly, is PAC SWI-CAN the same thing as PESWICAN?

no prob, I hope it helps! Yes they are, the PAC- product names are rebranded from Pacific Audio. I was advised by Mr Mazur of Peripheral to call them by their native product names and since he set me up with a beta wiring harness, I'm more than happy to honor his request!

Vehicles
      '11 S4
      06-11-2007 12:52 PM #30
      FAQd.

31. Banned
      06-12-2007 02:30 AM #31
      So as i was telling matt before,
      i am lookign to buy a Pioneer AVIC-D3

I am verrrrrrrrry new at this i have no clue about anything

so starting fresh, what do i need to buy? i will be having a shop instlal the unit for me considering that i would not trust myself to do it.

so i need the actual unit, and what else?

Thanks for the help guys =]

32. 06-12-2007 10:18 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by mkv4sho »
      So as i was telling matt before,
      i am lookign to buy a Pioneer AVIC-D3
      so starting fresh, what do i need to buy? i will be having a shop instlal the unit for me considering that i would not trust myself to do it.

well just for a general overview of what pieces do what, you might want to look at some of the Crutchfield guides. but basically you're going to need a proper wiring harness. this helps adapt your car's speaker/power/etc wiring to a new radio. I would check to see if the installer has experience with MkV VWs, since there are a few quirks to our vehicles when it comes to getting all the signals a nav system wants. For instance the 06 model year has the VSS signal available as a discrete wire, but the 07 only has this signal in the CAN-BUS system.

there are several threads here you could read to get some more information. in particular, search for AVIC in the topic title or body in the MkV forum. Also: check out the Pioneer electronics site and download the Install PDF for the D3. http://www.pioneerelectronics....onent

33. 06-14-2007 09:10 PM #33
      How does the wiring work for two modules using the same CAN BUS (the VWAH and the SWICAN)? Do they both share the same CAN-HI and CAN-LOW wires coming out of the stock OEM harness or is it more complex than that?

34. 06-16-2007 12:12 AM #34
      in the case of the VWAH harness, it mates with the OEM radio harness (more or less female) and that is where it picks up the CAN-BUS signalling. From there, there are smaller adapters which allow all the modules to connect together. Actually, the SWICAN and SWIPS are designed to connect together anyway.

35. 07-10-2007 03:25 PM #35
      the short screws dont prohibit movement of the faceplate. i found that out when i had and old pioneer 860. with the factory radio screws(97maxima) the faceplate wouldnt motorize down, but with the ones that came with the new HU it worked fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast