Thread: DZSL Corrado Project part two, with a mk3 tdi donor

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      06-09-2007 11:23 PM #1
      Pictures of my swaps:
      http://corradoalleysprojects1.shutterfly.com/

I just picked up the donor:

The patient:

The donor is great, and I kind of feel bad about parting this one but between the price, condition and mileage I have use this for the swap. The patient was a craigslist buy from a couple months back. I had been trying to decide what would happen to her until I found the tdi donor. Now its just a matter of finishing up a couple things on the other cars before I can start. The swap should go like this: spend 80 hours getting the g60 motor pulled and the engine bay cleaned up and the tdi swapped in and running and done in a clean manner. Drive it and work out any kinks. Then pull the motor out to do a timing belt and any other required maintenance. While the motor is out I will have the car resprayed and swap in better interior parts.

The Goal is to have the swap completed before Waterfest, but it won't be taken there and then have everything done by H20.

Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 10:53 AM.

2. 06-10-2007 12:20 AM #2
      willing to part out the jetta????

Vehicles
      06-10-2007 07:08 AM #3

4. 06-12-2007 03:22 PM #4
      sweet
      U will find this one considerably easier than the mk4 one!!!
      let me know if u have any questions

Vehicles
      1966 Riviera, B5 S4, B5 Passat
      06-12-2007 08:00 PM #5
      So which TDi are you going to sell when you complete this one?

Vehicles
      06-12-2007 10:03 PM #6
      The silver one has more hours then I care to admit in it so I can't sell it. Plus the wife said the silver will NEVER be sold.

Vehicles
      1966 Riviera, B5 S4, B5 Passat
      06-13-2007 06:50 AM #7
      If only judges at shows could understand the time and love that went into that car, i am glad to hear it won't sale. Should be fun to do a second one, plus this time you have that nice garage to spend those 80 hours in.

Vehicles
      06-13-2007 07:17 AM #8
      The garage at home blows away the one in chesapeake. But its nice having Sears right around the corner for tools that I have left at home.

Vehicles
      06-15-2007 09:54 PM #9
      Well I haven't done much except shuffle cars around so I can eventually get working on the swap. I've been able to pull the G60 motor out this week and thats about it. There are no pictures of the empty engine bay because I left the camera at home. I do have pictures of the Passat tdi pedal cluster and Passat tdi wiring harness. The pedal cluster "should" be a direct swap. The wiring harness may require some minor modifications to work on a mk3 but I think it will be a better it then the mk3 harness due to where the mk3 harness routes through the rain tray.

Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Vehicles
      06-24-2007 07:07 PM #10
      The progress is nonexistent because of work and the silver car's radio and a/c install.

I have sold a bunch of parts from the white Corrado and the Green mk3 so as it stands the White car's drivetrain has been pulled and the Green Mk3 has no front body panels or radiator support and the radiator is out. Alls I have to do is get somebody to buy the engine harness and ECU and I will have prepped the cars as much as possible without intentionally working on them

Anybody know somebody that wants a killer deal on a G60 ECU, harness and all sensors?

Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Vehicles
      08-04-2007 07:09 PM #11
      I found a different Corrado to drop the motor into. I'm trying to find somebody else to save the white Corrado before I put her under the knife. The parting out of the white Corrado begins in two weeks if not body buys her for $800 without the drivetrain.

Here is the new TDI recipient:

Heading home with both silver Corrados:

The car is near perfect....well she does need sunroof parts, a window regulator, suspension, and some TLC. But the paint is all original and in beautiful condition hence why she gets the TDI
      Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 12:27 PM.

12. 08-05-2007 11:59 AM #12
      hi g60ing, am interested in the white car (whole) , please send me more pics at msvdp@hotmail.com. what is the condition in general, int , accidents? also send me your phone# AND the biggie , does it have a clear title ? am also building a tdi corrdo, but mechanichal pump w/euro injctrs, bigger trbo!

Vehicles
      08-05-2007 01:44 PM #13
      I took a nap yesterday after coming home while I waited for the car and outside temps to cool off. well I slept too long but at midnight I couldn't sleep so I went out and began the swap process:

6am after running up to my storage unit (30miles away) for an engine hoist:

After getting some breakfast and clean up work:
      Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed, 60 mpg
      08-05-2007 02:05 PM #14
      that newer one looks sweet! does it still smell new? great project
      2002 GLS Jetta TDI 5 speed with Ariettas no more LOL!!15" avus and lovin' it!
      Brought home 2-22-2012
      ……"I put it back to a driveable height"…….vr6gti727, 6/7/12
      .."avus are 15s anyways so you clearly don't care about looks"..tar, 07-23-2011

Vehicles
      08-11-2007 01:40 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by deejaaa »
      that newer one looks sweet! does it still smell new? great project

It had vacuum lines that still looked brand new, including the ecu line which is known for wear. The wire and plugs were still in their holders:

The pedal cluster from the Passat uses a newer style clutch master cylinder that costs twice as much as the corrado master cylinder. So I decided to swap the corrado's clutch pedal to the passat TDI pedal cluster:

I had to add the B4 clutch switch locations to the corrado clutch brackets:

The difference in how the clutch master cylinder attaches to clutch pedal:

The heater/AC system is pulled while the heater core arrives. The Mk3 evaporator will be installed into the corrado HVAC box:

Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Vehicles
      95 S6 Avant, 10 Jetta TDI, 83 GTi
      08-14-2007 05:28 PM #16
      Need to add this to my watched topics

Looks great can't wait to see the results. I always wanted a TDi Scirocco, you've taken it to the next level

I bleed New York orange and blue Lets Go Mets!
      //EMI Parts

Vehicles
      type1, early bay, mk2, JK-U
      08-23-2007 04:55 PM #17
      You gonna have 'er done in time for H2O, Frank??

Vehicles
      08-23-2007 09:22 PM #18
      yes. I'd getting all the misc parts in order so I can pull the rapidfire reassembly cord

Vehicles
      08-24-2007 11:02 AM #19
      here are some of the past pictures that I hadn't posted.

I yanked the Heating system so I could install a new heater core and a newer evaporator so I can use SLC a/c lines. The heater box will be getting new foam for the trap door...if you haven't had this come apart on you haven't truly owned an old h20 VW.

I also installed the Mk3 K-Frame and replaced the A-Arm Bushings with the R32 rears, new ps rack boot, New ball joints, new tie rod ends, new vr6 strut bushings & bearings, KYB and Neuspeed springs from a mk3 VR6 This might be swapped out after she is on the road if I feel the VR6 valving or springs disturbs the handling of the tdi, I think it will be fine.

The mk3 K-Frame installed and the exhaust hung in place:

R32 Control Arm Bushings

This is why people say poly control arm bushings will bind up:

I swapped in the mk3 shift cables because they are less prone to failure:

Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Vehicles
      81 CADDY MTDI, 92 E30 vert, 11 BMW 335D
      09-10-2007 06:53 PM #20
      hey, I just bought a motor out of a 96 passat tdi, and I need it in my 82 rabbit. I got the wiring harness but cut the wires @ the fuse box, because its not ce2. by looking @ the threads you seem like you know what the hell your doing. I have the ecm the harness and the complete motor, I dont need the pedals and all the other nonsense do I?
      I QUIT FWD SUCKS

Vehicles
      09-11-2007 09:13 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by DIRTYMOFO »
      hey, I just bought a motor out of a 96 passat tdi, and I need it in my 82 rabbit. I got the wiring harness but cut the wires @ the fuse box, because its not ce2. by looking @ the threads you seem like you know what the hell your doing. I have the ecm the harness and the complete motor, I dont need the pedals and all the other nonsense do I?

You do need the pedals (The go pedal at the bare minimum because of the rheostat on the pedal assembly). Take notice of the pedal cluster pics that I have above. It would probably have been easier to convert you car to CE2. I have some friends that are doing an aba rabbit and their plan is to make it CE2. I'm certain with reviewing the wiring diagrams you will be able to hard wire the setup into the rabbits fuse box. Did the wires to the relays get cut? Can you still get the relays and the pigstails?

You might want to consider making this a mechanical TDI conversion by modifying the pump $$$:

Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      09-11-2007 06:16 PM #22
      Is that a G60 inlet manifold? I thought they didn't fit well because of the difference in port shape?

How's your conversion doing? My engine is in bits in my kitchen

Mikki

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      09-11-2007 07:32 PM #23
      Yes that is a G60 manifold. Its not my car.

My swap is going very well with the exception of time to work on it due to the day job

Vehicles
      09-11-2007 07:45 PM #24
      Two weekends ago I was able to get the heating system installed, pedal installed, Brake booster & hardlines installed, Wiring Harness cleaned up, ECU mounted (VERY TIGHT FITMENT), and the Drivetrain installed. I followed this up with intercooler pipes this past weekend. here are two teaser pics:

Last edited by G60ING; 09-17-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Vehicles
      09-12-2007 09:33 AM #25
      Looking good

I couldn't get the ecu mounted in the stock location at all, but since there's so much spare wire in the A3 loom then I can put mine in the cabin under the glovebox

Question - what airbox are you using? It looks like a petrol one with the inlet for warm air from the exhaust manifold. Is there a Corrado airbox that fits the TDI airflow meter or have you fabbed something?

Mikki x

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      09-12-2007 02:28 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by MikkiJayne »
      Question - what airbox are you using? It looks like a petrol one with the inlet for warm air from the exhaust manifold. Is there a Corrado airbox that fits the TDI airflow meter or have you fabbed something?

Mikki x

I do not know what airbox I will be using. I set a VR6 corrado airbox in there and I have not intentions of using it because the TDI hoses/MAF push the airbox too far forward. Right now I do not know of an OEM VW airbox that will fit and allow the MAF to bolt up with only minor mods. I might be able to use a mk2 digifant airbox and modify where the maf goes. I reviewed all of the corrado TDIs that I have pictures of or are in the corrado database and have not come up with anybody using the Mk3 TDI plumbing to the MAF and a stock airbox. There was one but there was not a complete picture of the airbox. This was on the Corrado database.

I think for the first few drives I will use an open air filter.

Vehicles
      81 CADDY MTDI, 92 E30 vert, 11 BMW 335D
      09-12-2007 09:41 PM #27
      yes I still can get the fuse box and the pigtails, what about the pedal assembly, I can get that but I dont want to dick around with that in my rabbit truck unless I only need the throttle pedal. and what do you mean modify the injector pump?QUOTE=G60ING]

You do need the pedals (The go pedal at the bare minimum because of the reostat on the pedal assembly). Take notice of the pedla cluster pics that I have above.

It would probably have been easier to convert you car to CE2. I have some friends that are doing an aba rabbit and their plan is to make it CE2. I'm certain with reviewing the wiring diagrams you will be able to hard wire the setup into the rabbits fuse box. Did the wires get cut that went to the relays? Can you still get the relays and the pigstails.

You might want to consider making this a mechanical TDI conversion by modifing the pump $$$:

Modified by G60ING at 9:33 AM 9-11-2007[/QUOTE]

I QUIT FWD SUCKS

Vehicles
      09-12-2007 11:29 PM #28
      You need to read about all of the tdi swaps into Mk1s and Mk2s. There are two routes to getting them to work. One is to ditch all of the electronics and run a mechanical injector pump. The 2nd route requires you to swap all the electronics, drive by wire go pedal (gas pedal and all the sensors.

Research all the swaps. Some of them have been documented on the vortex, tdiclub and VWdiesel.net My swaps are all done by swapping over all the electronics.

29. 10-05-2007 09:25 AM #29
      the life i lost was just my own. it's coool, i gotta another one

Vehicles
      10-05-2007 10:04 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by fungus »
      the life i lost was just my own. it's coool, i gotta another one

what are you talking or referring to?

31. 10-18-2007 09:07 PM #31
      dang frank another one going in a raddo. wow you put alot of time in these things my wife would kill me if i did that.

32. 10-19-2007 04:27 AM #32
      whoops, wrong thread! dunno quite how i did that but it's true though.
      damn nice project

33. 10-19-2007 09:26 AM #33
      I am starting one of these swaps into my 90 rado soon. Might need some advice if you dont mind.

Thank Scott k

Vehicles
      10-19-2007 05:07 PM #34
      Make a build thread

Mikki x

Vehicles
      10-19-2007 08:26 PM #35
      yeah by all means start a build thread and feel free to ask questions. I saw you looking for a wiring harness. If you are planning an ALH tdi my suggestions be prepared for a difficult build. I know I will NEVER attempt that again , the ahu is so much easier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast