Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast
    Results 1,331 to 1,365 of 1452

Thread: OT: Any AFL fans?

1. 09-29-2012 11:49 AM #1331

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-15-2012 10:07 PM #1332
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

3. 10-15-2012 11:33 PM #1333

FWIW I'll always rue the 06 GF that arsehole Cousins playing out of his skin, he was deadset dosed up to the eyeballs I reckon given his later form

4. 10-16-2012 02:10 AM #1334
      oh also, you and eddies cycles must be in sync..

Demetriou responded by saying: "You know I love Eddie dearly, but when I heard those [comments] I thought he was on something.

"I'm not sure what he meant by that. It doesn't make any sense to me.

"Our interchanges have gone from 30 to 131, and based on all our information and our world-class testing regime … we've seen no players take EPO.

"So I don't know what Eddie was talking about. Maybe he watched Four Corners last night and got a bit excited."

10-16-2012 02:16 AM #1335
      Quote Originally Posted by The Pork Hunt View Post
      FWIW I'll always rue the 06 GF that arsehole Cousins playing out of his skin, he was deadset dosed up to the eyeballs I reckon given his later form

He faded later in the game. I remember him looking especially rooted at about 3/4 time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-31-2012 06:33 AM #1336
      Ah yes, time to visit the AFL thread: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226507001119

7. 10-31-2012 06:55 AM #1337
      Quote Originally Posted by mdt View Post
      Ah yes, time to visit the AFL thread: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226507001119
      I dont think they're the only ones, nor do i think theres much wrong with it although I wasnt really aware of a rule that said u had to try... look at Carlton.

HA HA!

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-31-2012 07:35 AM #1338
      Is that the best you've got?

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-31-2012 04:40 PM #1339
      Dunno the idea of match fixing sorta undermines the spirit if the contest. Maybe that's just me.

10. 10-31-2012 05:42 PM #1340
      Dunno the idea of match fixing sorta undermines the spirit if the contest. Maybe that's just me.
      So are all of the F1 teams except Red Bull and Ferrari atm RACE FIXING because they're not developing their cars this year and concentrating on the next in the hope it gives them an advantage?

You need to relax.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-31-2012 05:58 PM #1341
      This is true, but you can't blame the clubs for wanting to take advantage of the draft concessions put in place by the AFL.

It's no different to running slow in a WRC event so you get a better starting position the next day. Eventually you want to win, but you have to line up all your eggs first, haha.

12. 10-31-2012 08:03 PM #1342
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      This is true, but you can't blame the clubs for wanting to take advantage of the draft concessions put in place by the AFL.

It's no different to running slow in a WRC event so you get a better starting position the next day. Eventually you want to win, but you have to line up all your eggs first, haha.
      Potent cocktail when mixed with sports gambling and leaks from the Coaches instructions to his team.
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-31-2012 08:17 PM #1343
      True, but there's no suggestion of that at this stage. And at least the league has shown a reasonably firm hand when any instances of leaked info has been used for gambling, regardless of how minor or innocent the wager may appear on the surface.

But I'd be quite happy if gambling on AFL was canned altogether.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-31-2012 08:40 PM #1344

15. 10-31-2012 09:12 PM #1345
      Ha! Didn't even see the news today but my statement was pretty Captain Obvious anyways....

Hate gambling and thought my mighty code of Rugby Union was immune from this but was crushed when Tom Waterhouse's face appeared on the screen before and during the Wallabies / All Blecks tests this year.
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-31-2012 09:54 PM #1346
      So are all of the F1 teams except Red Bull and Ferrari atm RACE FIXING because they're not developing their cars this year and concentrating on the next in the hope it gives them an advantage?

You need to relax.

THE AFL has uncovered a secret meeting involving at least 15 members of the Melbourne football department in which coaches were reminded of the importance of forfeiting matches in order to gain early draft picks.

Former Melbourne football boss Chris Connolly addressed the 2009 meeting, which it is believed was code-named ''the vault''.

The term vault relates to where the meeting took place - in the tin shed that runs between the two stands at Melbourne's old training ground at the Junction Oval. It is understood 15 people attended what began as a match committee meeting after the club's round 15 win over Port Adelaide, which was its second win in succession and lifted its tally for the year perilously close to its planned limit of four wins.

Connolly is understood to have urged those at the meeting to ''stay the course'', warning that Melbourne supporters and other stakeholders would come down on it should it fail to secure a prized priority pick, which the club would receive if it won just four games.

The club is now receiving legal advice after at least four witnesses were recalled by the AFL and admitted the club planned to deliberately lose games of football. Among those to have confessed the meeting took place upon being re-interviewed are former coach Dean Bailey and his then assistant Josh Mahoney. The AFL investigation continued today with those witnesses recalled, including Demons' former recruiting manager Barry Prendergast, now at Carlton.

So if a jockey pulls up a horse, he faces a suspension of his racing license, if a football team deliberately loses it's all in the game? Righto.

17. 10-31-2012 10:28 PM #1347
      You didnt answer my question Mr Hyperbole.

If someone fixes a horse race theres only one reason they'd do it.

If club players, officials or those surrounding them were found to have been betting on the outcomes then sure they need to be arseholed, and as with others I'm not exactly keen on there being betting on football games to begin with. However, expecting that a team hasnt "layed down" on occasion is fanciful and that theres some talk of it before hand isnt suprising to me at all.

Even this season I tend to think the Swans did towards the end of this season only playing a 1/4 of decent football then turning off not to be minor premiers and to be better prepared and have a better run into the final with less pressure and attention from the media. We got the flag so u can all eat my c*ck!

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-31-2012 10:49 PM #1348
      Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The allocation of a finite amount of resources to a future season is in an altogether different category to deliberately losing, if for no other reason than for the transparency of the game.

Unless you want AFL to become like WWF or whatever that farcical form of "sport" was with Hulk Hogan and his fellow travellers. At least with that code nobody took it seriously. If that's where you want your sport to head, that's up to you I guess.

19. 10-31-2012 11:28 PM #1349
      Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The allocation of a finite amount of resources to a future season is in an altogether different category to deliberately losing, if for no other reason than for the transparency of the game.
      There arent an infinite amount of players in the draft or players to trade, The salary cap is also quite finite. And along with many other sports that use drafts and salary cap systems for good reasons its absolutely sensible to "write off" a season if you dont have the resources at your disposal to compete for a finals spot. It isnt AFL specific, its one of many sports where it happens.

Unless you want AFL to become like WWF or whatever that farcical form of "sport" was with Hulk Hogan and his fellow travellers. At least with that code nobody took it seriously. If that's where you want your sport to head, that's up to you I guess.
      F*ck you really kicked it up a notch captain hyperbole.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-31-2012 11:30 PM #1350
      In the context of the AFL, the allocation of a finite amount of resources to a future season is directly related to deliberately losing.

Indeed, that is the entire point.

If there were no draft picks on offer no team would want to lose games in order to "win" better draft picks.

Yet, the basic premise of the draft, to be a competition-wide equalisation measure has merit. It's just a shame that the weaknesses of human nature make it so easy to exploit the current system for longer-term benefit.

Melbourne's mistake, it appears, is to have been so overt about their tanking.

Even when I was in mid-ranking rowing crews in high school we'd deliberately lose heats in order to get the better lane for the final. Of course we always knew it wasn't strictly the right thing to do, but when taking a bigger picture view, we always wanted to win the final race.

The solutions required to be implemented by administrators are often quite simple. And yet they continue to ignore them. See Badminton-gate at London 2012.

21. 10-31-2012 11:36 PM #1351
      Also Usain Bolt wasnt the fastest qualifier for the 100m olympic final

WHAT A JOKE, ITS A SCAM, HE SHOULD JOIN THE WWF!

What about all those poor dejected crippled children who paid to get tickets to the heats and didnt see him put in 100% WHERES THE TRANSPARENCY!

Vehicles
      Neunelfer und die grosser Diesel Tourenwagen
      10-31-2012 11:37 PM #1352
      "amount" was superfluous.

Who'd follow professional cycling...?
      Last edited by KGB; 10-31-2012 at 11:43 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I am planning to keep this for awhile. I am deadly serious too.

23. 10-31-2012 11:39 PM #1353
      Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
      "amount" was superfluous.

Who'd follow professional cycling...?
      STOP RUINING MY THREAD!

haha

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-31-2012 11:42 PM #1354
      There arent an infinite amount of players in the draft or players to trade, The salary cap is also quite finite. And along with many other sports that use drafts and salary cap systems for good reasons its absolutely sensible to "write off" a season if you dont have the resources at your disposal to compete for a finals spot. It isnt AFL specific, its one of many sports where it happens.
      Once again you are equating "writing off" with "deliberately losing". I'm surprised you can't see the difference.

In the "write-off" scenario, you would at least hope that your team put in a gutsy performance in difficult circumstances in the hope that they pull something out of the bag. A bit like Alonso overtaking one piloto after another after starting from the back of the grid. That's the very stuff of sporting supremacy.

In the deliberately losing scenario, your team actively intends to get a "bad" result and thereby putting in negative performance.

One positive, one negative. I can't be any clearer.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-31-2012 11:51 PM #1355
      You're a learned friend Matt, I'm sure you've heard the term "losing the battle to win the war".

The intention of every club is to build a team capable of challenging for premierships.

26. 10-31-2012 11:51 PM #1356
      Once again you are equating "writing off" with "deliberately losing". I'm surprised you can't see the difference.

In the "write-off" scenario, you would at least hope that your team put in a gutsy performance in difficult circumstances in the hope that they pull something out of the bag. A bit like Alonso overtaking one piloto after another after starting from the back of the grid. That's the very stuff of sporting supremacy.

In the deliberately losing scenario, your team actively intends to get a "bad" result and thereby putting in negative performance.

One positive, one negative. I can't be any clearer.

Massa loses on purpose all the time.

But when said "gutsy" perfomance results in injuries and possible suspensions for going above and beyond when "trying too hard" that could have detrimental effects on preparations for next year, would you put it all on the line knowing you're not making the finals anyways?

No, nobody would, not even you St Sebastian.

Actually I was at the Swans Vs Melbourne game, yes it was obvious they'd laid down, but they had no hope to begin with. Sure they may have "planned" to lose the game, but they sure as f*ck werent going to win it.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-31-2012 11:53 PM #1357
      In the context of the AFL, the allocation of a finite amount of resources to a future season is directly related to deliberately losing.
      Let's be clear about this. The allegation is not that Melbourne simply reallocated resources to a future season, they were actively endeavouring to lose:

Tanking evidence mounting against Melbourne Demons

Former Melbourne player Brock McLean said he cut ties with the Demons because they weren't trying to win games. Picture: Michael Dodge. Herald Sun

RICHMOND hearts sank when Carlton's Brock McLean fluked a match-winning goal with 42 seconds left on the clock on July 28.

But if the kick hurt the Tigers, it has done more damage to his old club Melbourne.

Three nights later, man-of-the-moment McLean dropped a bomb when invited to appear on Fox Footy's On The Couch.

The Demons, he declared, weren't trying to win games in 2009. He said it was why he quit the club. It was an explosive claim that reignited the AFL tanking debate and triggered a fresh investigation. Only this time the evidence against Melbourne is mounting.

The latest allegation surrounds a secret meeting of Melbourne football department staff at the Junction Oval in 2009.

It is said at least three club officials, past and present, have admitted to league investigators that the importance of losing games to secure a priority pick was discussed at that meeting.

Melbourne's loss to Richmond at the MCG a few weeks' after the meeting of football officials has long been hailed as exhibit No.1.

In laughable circumstances, Richmond's Jordan McMahon kicked a goal on the siren to win the match for Tigers. The Round 22 loss to St Kilda, involving several puzzling moves, has also been identified.

In August this year, the Herald Sun detailed accounts of another suspect game - Melbourne's Round 17 loss to Sydney at Manuka Oval.

Demons figures who attended an inner-sanctum dinner the night before the match say a football department boss openly indicated steps had been taken to reduce the prospects of a win.

"We'll be right - we've made eight changes," the official declared. Melbourne had already announced five key changes at team selection.

Then on the eve of the game, two more pulled out with ailments.Seven changes in all - not eight as predicted - and in a forgettable encounter the Swans got home by 18 points.

Even one of Melbourne's club doctors said "Blind Freddy could tell the team wasn't picked for optimal performance" late in the season.

In the Canberra match, Melbourne used its interchange bench 67 times. Its season average was 85. But Andrew Demetriou's reaction to the Herald Sun story was typical for a tanking non-believer.

The AFL boss dismissed the report as "lots of colourful language to try and determine an outcome".

"We don't go by that sort of story. We go by evidence," Demetriou said. "We've got a guy, (AFL investigator) Brett Clothier, who's very capable.

"If he gets to the bottom of something then we will deal with it but at the moment there's no evidence to sustain this allegation of tanking."

As for this:

Melbourne's mistake, it appears, is to have been so overt about their tanking.

Even when I was in mid-ranking rowing crews in high school we'd deliberately lose heats in order to get the better lane for the final. Of course we always knew it wasn't strictly the right thing to do, but when taking a bigger picture view, we always wanted to win the final race.
      Let's just say, it goes to credit.

Vehicles
      10-31-2012 11:53 PM #1358
      "Felipe, Alonso is faster than you, I REPEAT ALONSO IS FASTER THAN YOU"

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-31-2012 11:56 PM #1359
      The intention of every club is to build a team capable of challenging for premierships.
      Lance Armstrong agrees.

As least in the cycling thread, we're actually embarrassed by what's been going on in our sport.

You blokes are the Livestrong of the AFL.

30. 11-01-2012 12:01 AM #1360
      Lance Armstrong agrees.

As least in the cycling thread, we're actually embarrassed by what's been going on in our sport.

hahaha f*ck me dead, it was Horse racing, then WWF, now Lance armstrong

**IN BEFORE HITLER.**

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      11-01-2012 12:03 AM #1361
      Let's be clear about this. The allegation is not that Melbourne simply reallocated resources to a future season, they were actively endeavouring to lose...
      Yes, in order to gain better resources to reallocate to a future season.

It's not fvvking rocket science.

So far Melbourne seem to be the only club dumb enough to actively discuss and plan for losing to win. For the other clubs to have benefited as Melbourne has, it would appear they were clever enough to leave the planning to Captain Obvious.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      11-01-2012 12:09 AM #1362
      Lance Armstrong agrees.

Doping/cheating in road cycling is as old as the sport itself. You're only embarrassed because you've been caught by association. By continuing to follow the sport you're as guilty and complicit as your mate Lance.

That's the entire point that makes the "sport" at the elite level so shti. Everyone knew there was drug cheating, but they actively chose to ignore it and continued to buy into the fairy tale.

If you think there'll never be doping in professional cycling again then you really are living in la la land.

Vehicles
      11-01-2012 12:17 AM #1363
      Fxied

If you think there'll never be doping in professional SPORT again then you really are living in la la land.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      11-01-2012 12:20 AM #1364
      Yep, don't disagree with that.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      11-01-2012 12:53 AM #1365
      By continuing to follow the sport you're as guilty and complicit as your mate Lance.
      Crikey, and Wes accused me of overstatement.

But your blind defence of the AFL in the face of what most other people regard as dishonourable conduct is somewhat endearing, I guess.

As you were, gentlemen.
      Last edited by mdt; 11-01-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast