Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rabbit Farmer's 1.8T Golf IV (racing oriented)

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-12-2008 08:54 AM #71
      The automatic transmission is gone... the auto is a lot heavier than a manual.

Looking through our cars, everything is turbo charged right down to the truck; everything is VW except for the truck. Gotta love German engineering.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-15-2008 06:15 PM #72
      Progress and results.....

I was running out of options so I reached out to some locals and Motorgeek and was pointed towards Marc Swanson in NH (3.5 hour drive, but next to the track) (www.efiexpress.com).

Gauges mounted on "A+" pillar (dark gauge is the boost; I haven't wired the lights in it yet).

Trying different rim color on the Golf. I have two sets of RA1's mounted on Flix wheels (they are a bit heavy, but in my price range at the time); one set is silver and other gun metal.

We left the house prior to 5 AM on Sunday (track day was on Monday).

Playing in Marc's garage....

Pyscho cat (Vern) playing "Tunsis" in the Rabbit

Car is all tuned and is running great at 23 PSI. I did manage to break off a stud that mounts the turbo to the exhaust manifold so I am looking for a new manifold (I hate the ATP so this is a good time to change it). I also need to look into better bracing for the turbo.

That is all for now. Time to jump into getting the Rabbit ready for the hillclimb (Okemo II) this weekend.

Wife's Cabriolet is running again (it was just the t-stat that was stuck).

Video and photos should be up later this week. Both Nick (STI) and I have in-car video so you can see both cars going back and forth. I couldn't pass Nick (close in the straights) because I couldn't hook up like he can with the AWD. Good times at NHMS (f.k.a. NHIS).

Steve

Vehicles
      1976 Super Vert
      07-17-2008 12:47 AM #73
      bad a$$

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-28-2008 09:41 PM #74
      Well, it doesn't take long to end up in the archive.

Kinda a non-update. I finally got the photos and will post video (in-car this Golf at a track and in-car the turbo Rabbit at a hillclimb). Both videos looked a heck of a lot better before uploading to Youtube. Hopefully the sound works properly also; I had a problem playing on Windows Media Player 9 without the AC3 (or whatever) codec.

07-28-2008 09:47 PM #75
      I like this car.

6. 07-28-2008 09:54 PM #76
      Quote, originally posted by friday »
      I like this car.

Ditto

TDI for the win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-28-2008 10:59 PM #77
      Thanks... a lot of blood/sweat/tears went into it.... plus grocery money.

There was a little progress from when I purchased it....

Vehicles
      Crowned pink RS OG, bagged and BTd. 330ci vert. pink RS the 2nd.
      07-28-2008 11:11 PM #78
      I love this car.

You did good work son.

Low.Life.Society | AAC | Unitronic

Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident and riches take wings. Only one thing endures, and that is character.

Vehicles
      92 lysholm gti
      07-28-2008 11:26 PM #79
      So what killed the first engine? hopefully not the tune since it looked like it..

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-29-2008 12:07 AM #80
      Quote, originally posted by 2000APRGTI »
      So what killed the first engine? hopefully not the tune since it looked like it..

Best guess is that the manual boost controller was loose and caused an over-boost situation. I now run an Electronic Boost Controller through the ECU and monitor engine activity via A/F, EGT, and boost levels.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-30-2008 12:56 AM #81
      Time to inspect the exhaust manifold to determine if I can remove the stud from the ATP manifold without removing it from the engine or replacing it with a SPA manifold if I had to remove the ATP setup. There was no way in heck I would reinstall the ATP manifold if I had to remove it.

I had to remove the coolant line to remove the turbo (it is hanging from the Shine Racing anti-roll bar that I removed at NHIS last week when it was raining to reduce oversteer). Clean break of the stud.

I borrowed a 90-degree angle head from my father so that I could get into the tight space between the engine and firewall.

Drilled a hole in the center of the stud. I used a flute bolt extractor.

Hmmmm, this looks like good news.

I was able to remove the broken stud from the exhaust manifold, therefore, thus and hence, I will not be changing from the ATP to SPA exhaust manifolds at this time.

When I was heading out the back door of the garage to make my way to my truck in the driveway (it still had a lot of my tools in it from the last event), I noticed that I accidentally left Daisy, my cat, outside instead of letting her inside before it got dark (this was around 11:30PM). Then I noticed that Daisy's tail looked a little too big and I then recalled that I did let both cats in when I got home from work. It seems the "cat" was actually very friendly and did not have the inclination to fire off a warning shot. This allowed from some photos, but I opted to use another door to reach my destination.

I need to get some hi-temp loctite, new locking nuts and special heat washers (they help the nut stay tight) to get the car back together before the weekend. There are some other plans over the next few weeks (including changing the transmission fluid to Motul 300) that will help make this a fun car to drive.

Sleepy time.

Steve

07-30-2008 02:08 AM #82
      waiting on those video's.

13. 07-30-2008 04:01 AM #83
      Hey nice work . I know what you mean about the coil pack harness . i just did the whole thingalong with the new hitachi coils . the install of that harness was quite a wonderful time that is for sure. But it is worth it , the car runs crazy smooth now .

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-30-2008 06:44 AM #84
      I had a problem with the video... something to do with MPEG2 output from my video camera wherein my video editing software can't see the sound.

If you want to watch the video with no sound....

NHIS with this Golf HERE
      Okemo hillclimb with the turbo Rabbit (first time driving it) HERE

Watch the number of shifts in the Rabbit before the first turn (sound would make all the difference). Got into 5th before corner three.

I am working on getting this corrected and uploaded, but getting the cars ready for the next two events is a higher priority for me.

Steve

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 6:46 AM 7-30-2008

07-30-2008 05:21 PM #85
      Your lines were a lot nicer then that corvette. Always fun to see an economy car hammer on the sports cars.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      10-23-2008 10:24 PM #86
      I need to find a slower forum so this doesn't keep ending up in the archives....

I was going to bring both the turbo Rabbit and the Golf to the hillclimb this weekend (www.hillclimb.org), but it will take too much time to get both cars to the hill and it doesn't seem worth it as Sunday looks wet.

Anyway, to drive both cars in the Prepared 2 class, the car must meet P2 rules (event though it is technically belongs in a lower class called Street Prepared). P2 rules requires that the car has a kill switch. I headed over to Joey Kale's place (www.kalescustom.com) and he welded on a plate so that I could mount the battery kill switch.

Last night I installed everything using 4G wire. It seems that I should have used a thicker wire, so over the winter I will either add another 4G wire to the setup or use one larger wire for the whole setup.

My goal was to have the switch on the inside of the car so that it didn't rust should it rain. I came up with the idea of where it is mounted and it seems to work great. I can roll down the window just enough to have access to the switch while my race number is still full visible. Best of both worlds.

Vehicles
      2000 VW Golf GLS
      10-23-2008 11:00 PM #87
      car looks sweet man.
      keep up the nice work.

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      10-23-2008 11:30 PM #88
      love it. i wanna see some videos of this thing in action, and some dyno!
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      10-24-2008 08:16 AM #89
      Over the winter I am redoing the IC pipes (the kit sucks), adding bigger brakes, and doing a full dyno tune. I hope to have some better videos after this weekend's event (hillclimb). I will also have to brace the seats (FIA seats; 5 years without brace, then I have to brace to meet the rules) and replace the harnesses (rules are 3 years.... perfect harnesses will be for sale soon!).

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      10-27-2008 04:35 PM #90
      Right click and save as.... VIDEO of the Golf at the starting line of the Mt. Philo Hillclimb. Great event (www.hillclimb.org)

Steve

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      11-03-2008 10:33 PM #91
      Philo has come and gone. Time to start planning for winter improvements for the track. I already have an extensive list started.....

I managed to "break" and axle during a practice run on Saturday. The axle is a DriveShaftShop 425 HP axle so it wasn't power that did it in. I recently ordered a set of 475 HP axles from them and noticed a HUGE difference in the design... looks like a set of old Rabbit inner CVs, but a heck of a lot larger. Anyway, the 425 HP driver's side axle "broke" because a C clip that prevents the shaft from sliding towards the transmission, and therefore the tripod was allowed to slide inward to disengage itself from the cage... um, run on sentence... the C clip came off so the tripod wasn't contained. Easy fix... replace the clip and get a new inner boot.

Finally, a great picture of me driving past one of the checkpoints (#5 on the hill) at Mt. Philo. Big thanks to Dave_G of the Sports Car Club of Vermont (www.sccv.org) for taking and sharing the photo.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      135i, 4door Golf, Ducati
      11-03-2008 10:56 PM #92
      sick man. i enjoy the build. a little tip. dont run a turbo to mani gasket and if studs are giving you a problem grab some m8 allen head bolts and nordlocks
      ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... PVW 7.08 ... ... ... ... .. .

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      11-04-2008 12:19 AM #93
      i love you
      "Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

24. 11-04-2008 12:26 AM #94

Vehicles
      Mark 4 GTI
      11-04-2008 12:39 AM #95
      What a great thread!!!! I love racing!!!!!! I should put up some rally pics.
      Your resident pilot

Vehicles
      13' Scirocco R, 01' Jetta s256
      11-04-2008 01:10 AM #96
      Wow great thread, just read through the whole thing. Interesting finds on the wiring harness! I noticed that too on my coil pack wires the other day, makes me think to check in other places as well I can't believe i hadn't seen this thread before, right up my alley.

Only thing i must say is that i'm surprised you haven't either gotten a 3 spoke steering wheel or gotten a racing steering wheel with no air bag

Great build and progress man, car has come a long way!

I'll be staying tuned in for sure

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      11-04-2008 12:40 PM #97
      The airbag will be gutted (it isn't connected, but I have the understanding that centrifugal force may still set it off). Trying to make it LOOK street legal.... I drove it around town yesterday before putting it away. I think I scared a Civic with a fart can.

I just uploaded this video... It is one of the morning runs. I don't have any of my fast runs as I lent the camera to someone else so they could get some in-car with their Subaru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqdo4xuZFu8

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 7:46 PM 11-4-2008

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      04-27-2009 11:04 PM #98
      Pictures... the reason why people read forums and comic books... we don't need no stinking words!

Since I can't weld (at least I don't think I can) or fabricate (I know I can't... king of measure once and cut a million times), Joey at http://www.KalesCustom.com (Kellogg Road in Essex, Vermont) did a lot to the Golf. Custom intercooler piping to and from the intercooler; relocated the BOV to just before the throttle plate; bracket to hold the downpipe (and support the turbo); custom exhaust utilizing the stock exhaust hanger to change the exhaust from side exit (done by Chris Achilles) to a rear exit as I realized that it was too loud (my fault for thinking I wanted a side exhaust); and relocated the battery to the rear; and adding another vent to the valve cover.

Very good job!! I highly recommend Joey's welding skills and fabrication abilities. Of course, he is a Subaru expert, so the Subbie folks get a two for one expert in Vermont. Kudos, my friend!

For those of you hooked on phonics challenged, I present some images for your enjoyment (with limited text interruptions).

The bumper was removed from in front of the IC to allow better airflow. I picked up a trim piece to go around the IC from Chris Havas at http://www.MetalMarks.com (place for rally folks to get carbon fiber parts; located in Vermont, but can ship). I will install this soon when time allows.

Okay, we have some options at the end of the exhaust. That is a V-Band clamp on there that allows for the straight pipe (there already is a muffler in the middle of the car) or a cat.

Joey wired the battery in the rear of the car (or his buddy James who seems to be an electrical guru of sorts... and works on Subbies). I installed the battery box and made the bracket. It actually works pretty well.

So, someone else made it onto the rear window of the car. I reserve this place for people/companies that make racing this car possible through their expertise, help, and skills. (with the exception of the SCDA1.com and vwvortex.com stickers... I'm sure they will get bumped soon) Added... KalesCustom.com (the .com didn't fit). Thanks Joey!

Well, there is always a second (and third, and fourth) project in the house. This one I have been working on. New brakes, new bigger radiator, air dam, removed some panels on the front of the car to allow more air flow to the oil cooler and radiator, etc. Getting a new set of 22.5 x 9.5 x 13" mounted (yep, they are taller than my 20", but the price was right). The new radiator should solve the coolant leak. Enough for now... I plan to get the turbo Rabbit 100% ready for the first hillclimb of the season (Ascutney: check out http://www.hillclimb.org for hillclimbs in Vermont, USA); then I will focus on the Golf. Time is running short so I need Plan B (Rabbit) in place before focusing on Plan A (Golf).

I have to make sure the Golf is track ready all season (i.e. no issues) so that I don't try Plan C again like I did in 2007... the wife's stock 2004 1.8T Jetta on my DOT R componds (235's) running a HPDE at Watkins Glen. Good times (I swapped the brakes over to EBC yellows and put on Bilstein Sports for the event), but it doesn't have the thrill of the Golf.

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 11:26 PM 4-27-2009

Vehicles
      '95 Jetta GLX
      04-27-2009 11:48 PM #99
      What coils are you running in the golf? I am looking for some racing coils, but all the 'tex seems to recommend is ones so I can slam it to the ground.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skatedvs420 View Post
      Will this work on my 1.8t vr6 w/ an intake?

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      04-28-2009 12:31 AM #100
      The coil over springs are from Shine Racing Services in Massachusetts.

http://www.srsvw.com/

The length of the springs that I purchased only lower the car a little bit, but they handle like hell!

Vehicles
      2012 Subaru WRX
      04-28-2009 12:48 AM #101
      Ya you just picked up prolly one of the best racing suspensions for these cars congrats. Are you running a stock intake manifold? And i love the VW racing keep it up man.

Vehicles
      '91 Audi 200 20vt, E34 530i
      04-28-2009 01:39 AM #102
      I've followed this thread a bit over on motorgeek, but I never saw any of the vids...

That last hillclimb one is awesome! Totally reminds me of driving my old 1.8t (50 trim) and makes me want to get out to a hillclimb event with the new car ASAP!

Great work

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      04-28-2009 12:08 PM #103

Stock intake manifold. I figure it is good enough as I have the small port head.

Looking forward to a nice summer of racing the dubs again. Especially looking forward to having the Golf at a hill where I can really stretch its legs. The video at Philo (Oct 2008) was all in the wet (a lot of wheel spin) and there are no long open straights.... not the case at the other hillclimbs in the series. At one hill, with my old 8V.bored 1.9 liter/13:1 Rabbit on street tires, I was doing 100 mph. Good times.

Vehicles
      2012 Evo GSR
      04-28-2009 12:25 PM #104
      Love the car, great work with sticking to it!

Jealous that I didn't put the flag on my roof first!

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      04-28-2009 01:19 PM #105
      The flag was more out of necessity as it is covering over the rippled roof. I planned to replace the roof (the car was a roll over with a sunroof), and the flag was supposed to be a short term look, but it kinda grew on me.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast