Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Rabbit Farmer's 1.8T Golf IV (racing oriented)

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      05-08-2009 12:44 AM #106
      A 'didn't do anything to the Golf' update, but did a little to the Rabbit. I guess the Golf is almost "done" (as in there will be nothing left to do other than fix/replace stuff when it breaks), with the exception of long-term planning of brakes and a different suspension.

------------------------

Well, there is only one weekend between today and Ascutney weekend and I don't have a car ready. Golf 1.8t can't be ready for the Ascutney hillclimb as I still need the parts, and after installation, time to dyno tune it. Plan B is on the front burner. I plan to have everything done on this on Saturday (assuming my outer CV boots are here).

Big new 22.5 tires... they look HUGE compared to the worn 20". There goes my mechanical advantage for acceleration, but at least I will be able to get a lot more speed in the straights (I was limited by gearing at Okemo as I was top speed in 5th within the first 1/3 of the long straight).

Looks huge!!!!

They are actually shorter than the tires on Julie's Cabriolet.

... though a little bit wider.

Vehicles
      Forester XT, MK5 Rabbit
      05-08-2009 01:16 AM #107
      Sick build. From where you started to where you are now
      Looking foward to watching this thread!

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      05-27-2009 01:17 PM #108
      May 26, 2009

Well, I finally have been able to edit my videos with Div-X Author (simple, yet effective video editing software for $20).

Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb / May 2009 / 5th overall (very happy with results)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRQHMriksxo

Well, since I have this new (idiot proof, easy to use, functional, inexpensive) video editing software, I decided to redo the NHMS track event from July 14, 2008. Here it is... hopefully it is done uploading to Youtube. The previous version that I uploaded in 2008 did not have sound... a little boring without sound, don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sC5Q4kGO2E

In-car of turbo Rabbit at SCCV's SLMP #1 track event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClIJeFLh33E

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-01-2009 03:30 PM #109
      Researching poly bushing for the front suspension. I'm getting a bit of movement while getting on it and braking. It never stops, does it?

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-02-2009 04:01 PM #110
      Ordered bushings.

My friend Nick put together a side-by-side of our cars at Ascutney... pretty sweet. We both downshift at the same moment going into corner 13. I added some fluffy stuff (informational images) at the start of the video that Nick put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CToi3rEfAbs

It is his first time at speed at this hill (he ran it against the breakout time in the past) so I know I will be chasing his bumper at the next event.

Steve

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-05-2009 07:14 AM #111
      Ordered suspension bushings from Autotech... didn't hear anything from them for 2 days, called to find out they were on backorder.... ordered from somewhere else.

Installed trim piece around intercooler opening to clean up the edge. I messed it up a little so I will have to install over the winter when I have more time (it isn't quite flush around the entire opening).

Still planning on installing (though not tying into the wiring as Burke hillclimb is next weekend) the individual coil setup.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-16-2009 12:21 AM #112
      Some photos (root of 2009 events).... a few more to come.

http://vermontracing.com/galle...40319

I will work to put together the start-line video that I took.

My in-car video of my last run.... a few errors (was looking forward to one more run). I think this resulted in a 96 mph speed per the radar at check point 1. I need AWD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGrHbTqv6Ag

Steve

8. 06-16-2009 12:54 AM #113

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-16-2009 12:33 PM #114
      I just picked up another shell with a good non-sunroof roof, good passenger side front door and a few other misc. parts.... over the winter I will install the roof (no more bumpy/wavey roof). To top it all off, the color is the same.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-17-2009 12:31 AM #115
      The 5:30 am trip started with rain and pretty much rained the entire time during the 165 mile trip to MA.

The normal site on the way home via Route 7....

I think for $100 (plus $50 gas + $10 food + $5 diet coke) this was a good deal for a pedal cluster (has a throttle cable, not DBW), A/C pump, A/C condenser, radiator with fans, three good doors with glass, good roof (non-sunroof), plus some other misc. parts (I might grab the rear beam also). Did I mention it is the same color as my Golf?!

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-23-2009 12:17 AM #116
      Another Episode of Nick vs. Steve / Subaru vs. Volkswagen (big turbo) / Burke #1 2009.... side by side work by Nick; pretty intro by Steve. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Xp-Ay6Qoc

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-23-2009 01:24 AM #117
      One can of Red Bull tonight and I'm a video making (and remaking) machine. rinkers:

Remade of Okemo 2 (2008) with sound and added out of the back window shot:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIjjByh_H2c

First public viewing of Burke I (2008)... still learning the car... I can be so much faster once I drive this car more:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll31W-QeBug

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      06-23-2009 12:20 PM #118
      If you're into the rally scene... some videos and photos posted from the "Vermont Sports Car, Ken Block, and the SCCV in Colchester" testing session last night.

http://forums.sccv.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2719

I took about 200+ photos with someone else's SLR camera and it will take some time for them to go through them to determine what will be posted.

Steve

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 12:21 PM 6-23-2009

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-14-2009 12:13 AM #119
      Shell is gone and parts are in storage for the winter project period.

Ralph's Foreign Auto installed new suspension bushings and James installed the hood pins (I figured I would walk the drill across the hood if I tried it.... plus I didn't realize that under the plastic was metal so I was thinking there would be a mounting issue on the body of the car... guess not).

Big thanks to the guys down at City Tire in Williston, Vermont (http://www.City-Tire.com) for their continued support of the local club racing! They help make the sport possible!

I will post video of the last hillclimb with the Golf in the next few days (Okemo #1 / July 11-12, 2009)

Well, it was time to finally get the 1989 Cabriolet back on the road. About 6 weeks ago (or so) I was driving it home when steam started to come out from under the hood. I didn't have time to work on it so it stayed under cover in the driveway until about a week ago. I was finally able to determine that the radiator was leaking. Inspection of the radiator showed that the location/orientation of the diverter valve was against the front of the radiator; a new radiator was ordered. I then had to source out new zip mounting hardware to reinstall the fans on the new radiator... enter Jegs (again!!). Working on the car I heard a noise coming from in back of the car. I looked around and found nothing. Must have been outside and my tired mind/body was playing tricks on me.

Intermission: Somehow Julie (I'll blame her since I have never used it) broke the lighted rocker switch that makes up the switch to turn on the reverse lights. I tried to locate a switch of the same size without any luck. When I was looking for the zip mounting hardware for the fans, I started with the make of the fans (good thinking, Sparky). Guess what... that lighted fan switch actually came with the electric fans that are on the car. I found an exact match and ordered it from Jegs. Hmmm, there's that noise again in the back of the car. Nothing in the trunk. Nothing underneath it. It seemed to stop whenever I walked to the back of the car. Strange.

Back to the program already in progress: Fan installed and diverter location changed.

Source of noise identified.

While I was under the hood, I decided to change the sparkplug wires that I hated. The boots were standard cut (e.g. not made for deep well sparkplug access wells). I ended up taking the wire set and covers that were intended for the 1.8T Golf and used them on the Cabriolet.

After installing the first two and thinking that they looked strange, I figured out that they should have been oriented parallel with the valve cover. (no kidding, huh?) I also identified a wire that went to the coil that was too short; sometimes when the engine rocks it would die. The wire (big ol' red power wire going to the coil) was extended.

I still have a number of items to address on the Cabriolet to make it an easier and more fun car to drive.... looks like a late summer project at this time as work and the racing schedule is keeping me busy.

...and I still have to dyno tune the 1.8T Golf so that I can get some low-end power out of it to make the hillclimbs (and perhaps the autocrosses) a little more fun.

Hmmmm, seems that I have a turbo Rabbit to get ready for Burke II.

I need a vacation.....

Steve

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 1:24 PM 7-14-2009

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-17-2009 11:10 PM #120
      I ordered another set of spark plug wires (must be an Audi wire set as they come as a set of five) and spark plug well covers for the Golf... got them through Joe at http://www.Axismotorsport.com

Another present arrived in the mail....

Spark plug wire set for the turbo Rabbit (need to custom make the wires as the coils are mounted on the dash with four holes going through the firewall... one hole per wire... the size of the wire [with grommet]) and heat barrier with adhesive backing.

The heat barrier is for the Cabriolet to keep the heat from getting into the driver's compartment.

This would be a lot easier to do if the engine wasn't in the bay. I had to measure out each firewall mounted clip location to map out where I had to cut the slots. The bottom portion (bottom of rain train and down 10") took about an hour to complete. The rain tray portion took about 10 minutes. Very functional.

Sunday... jumping into doing the wires on the turbo Rabbit. If that doesn't fix the problem, I might need a new tach (it has a built in rev limiter). I also need to add some heat barrier protection to the Golf above the turbo and install the coils.

Another busy week, but I'm making progress.

Steve

16. 07-17-2009 11:41 PM #121
      just read the whole thread .. great stuff.. i wish more real track/fun cars were around

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS Wagon
      07-18-2009 01:08 AM #122
      Wow! Just awesome.
      BMW proof

Vehicles
      1.8t chadmobile
      07-18-2009 02:18 AM #123
      this is good stuff man, making sure to follow this

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-18-2009 09:22 AM #124
      Quote, originally posted by Static-- »
      just read the whole thread .. great stuff.. i wish more real track/fun cars were around

They're around, they just don't have a project thread going. I love having other racing-oriented projects here so I get other ideas.

I think the plan over the winter is to make this car really, really light. Gut the doors, for example. We will see. I might get lazy with the Golf and rebuild the turbo Rabbit (with another shell). Brainstorming at the present.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Tropic
      07-18-2009 11:50 AM #125
      That was a good read

21. 07-18-2009 01:36 PM #126
      Sick build

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-22-2009 12:04 AM #127
      Turbo Rabbit is now back to 100%... it was old spark plug wires that did it in. I replaced them with the kit from Jegs. I also wrapped the wires (heat protection) where it is above the turbo.

Heat barrier installed on Golf.

Well, I'm almost ready for the dyno tune on Friday; right now it is just a street tune.

I tried my hand at fabrication.... as usual, it looks a lot better in my mind's eye than the final product, but it is functional. This holds the individual coils so I can run spark plug wires instead of the coil on plug setup.

Tomorrow night (nothing exciting) I will install at new air/fuel (A/F) mixture sensor and new gauge wiring harness.

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 12:06 AM 7-22-2009

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-25-2009 09:07 AM #128
      A lot of information… for those of you with Internet ADD (too many words, man, let me just look at the pictures), I offer the below images, video, and the following summary:
      Racing is fun, 270/23psi is the new 272/18psi, 80% throttle, more power, bang, let's go running, nice cars!

Mt. Okemo #1 / 2009 Video
      I finally got around to putting together the video from the Mt. Okemo (#1 / 2009) event. I was waiting to get some course-side video from Joey’s father (I will post up all the course-side video that he took later this week). The video (2:27.85) is not of my best run (2:27.01) of the day, but the best run was a bit aggressive and I think sloppy in some spots, so I present the slightly slower (think “one-one-thou….” of “one-one thousand”) and cleaner run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxbdhPFapA

It’s dyno time…..the saga begins

Let's start by throwing some numbers out there.... 245, 270, 272 and 300.

Friday was a trip down to http://www.ktrmotorsports.com in Ayer, Massachusetts for a dyno tune by Marc Swanson of EFI Express (a4kquattro on Motorgeek.com / phone 603.413.6833); Marc tuned the car using the dyno at KTR. I got to KTR a little late because of a roll over on I-89 due to hydroplaning and driving around Ayer, MA trying to find KTR as they do not have a sign of any sort at the end of the "Truck Entrance" road that they are located.

First thing we did was get the next standalone coils hooked up and setup in the ECU. Next was the baseline dyno to figure out where I was all this time. At a dyno in my area, they determined that I had 272wHP (245, 270, 272, 300) at 18psi. Marc street tuned the car last summer to 23 psi of boost so I must have more than 300.... wouldn't you think? First run was 245wHP (245, 270, 272, 300), but there was something wrong.

Actually two things wrong.

Next few runs left Marc a bit confused as the HP was not increasing with advances in timing (I'm running full race fuel; 109 octane unleaded). Jim (KTR) noticed that the dyno only had readings up to 5000 RPM while we were bringing the car up to redline at 6700 RPM. The car was spinning on the rollers. Fixed. Twice.

Next run didn't quite seem right either and that was when Marc noticed (per the computer hooked up to the ECU) that I was only running at 80% throttle. It seems the cable was stretched a bit so I have been driving the car for quite some time at 80% (or so) throttle. Man, all those hillclimbs that I wanted "just a little bit more" in the straights.... and it could have been there. Darn!

Baseline wHP
      Okay, we have a stuff together now and finally get the baseline power (remember, this is at 23 psi, so it has to be a lot more than the 272wHP/18psi power).... how about 270wHP? Yep, different dyno yields different results. Since last summer, the street tune gave me 270wHP. Of course, I wasn't using all of that thanks to a stretched throttle cable.

More Power!
      Time to get a little more power out of it, but more importantly, power where I need it for the hillclimbs (more low-end grunt). Marc and Jim spent the next hour making adjustments to get the power where it should be.

Marc tuning from the co-pilot seat while Jim controlled the dyno from the driver's seat... while I stood around not knowing what to do with myself, but noticing an empty box of Harpoon and a running refrigerator in the corner.

So what did we end up with? 299.4, but let's round that up to 300 since it is OVER 299, a bit shy of 300, and I feel like rounding a .4 up this time. (245, 270, 272, 300) But, let's talk about that number. It is not the limit of the turbo, engine, injectors, fueling, etc. It is actually the limitation of the 034EFI MAP sensor inside the ECU; it is limited to 2.5 bar. So, to get another 50wHP (per Marc), I would just need to send the box back to 034EFI to get the sensor upgraded. I might as well get the 034EFI "hiccup" fixed while I'm at it (the engine is running just fine and stops for a second like I hit the rev limiter). So, there is more that can be obtained, but I have to ask myself if it is worth it as 350wHP would be great on the track with FWD, but it might just communicate to wheel spin at the hillclimbs.

@#$%@#$%&@#$% !!
      Time to hit the track... the running track. When I got home with the car I decided to take it for a little spin. I drove it very slowly/low RPMs until I was out of town; I turned right on a side road and gave it 50-75% throttle as the gas pedal felt a little funny going that extra 20%, and grind-grind-grind. Great, there goes my Drive Shaft Shop 475wHP CV joint. Or not. It seems that those 3rd gear pulls on the dyno did the transmission in (or perhaps it is just the clutch). I had to run/jog 3 miles home (good time to leave my phone at home, but who would I can anyway as Julie wasn't home.... my cat hasn't learned to drive the truck yet) to get the truck and trailer, come-a-long the car on the trailer in the rain, and then finally getting home by 9pm. Ack! Someone, somewhere, hates me (well, more than those ex-girlfriends). Time to drop the transmission and figure out what happened. If it is the transmission, I might look into the option of a 6-speed if it is something easy(ish) to convert and if the LSD can transfer from 5-speed to 6-speed. We will see. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will just be the clutch (wishful thinking).

Wow, look at all those nice cars!

KTR is a very large facility with A LOT of very nice cars (most of which I cannot identify, but you don't need to understand art to enjoy it). This is just one of the small rooms of cars directly outside the dyno room. There is soooo much more. It is like a racing-orient version of RPM (http://www.RPMvt.com).

Lotus Europa (but that isn't a stock engine)

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-31-2009 01:19 PM #129
      Okemo #1 2009 video from checkpoint #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8B1785BevU

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS Wagon
      07-31-2009 01:42 PM #130
      Unbeliveable contents in that shop! Oh, btw- yur project is awesome too! Thanks for posting it up . Europa w/ v8! Yay Great stuff- Staying tuned to this channel.

I had to look again. silver 356 on lift Jags just perfect .....Euphoria..................

Modified by blakwagn at 10:45 AM 7-31-2009

BMW proof

Vehicles
      B6 Passat Variant, B5.5 Passat Variant, company honda
      07-31-2009 02:21 PM #131
      this is an awesome build, It's nice to see some practical builds in the forums once in a while. I work in a practical mindset for my car, the golf is awesome, nice work. I've got a '99 golf in the same color only it's a 2.0 it's the wife's daily for now, but I plan to do something similar to it in the future when she's done in school. good luck with the racing this summer.

next time you're at loudon hit me up, I live about 10 minutes from there, I'd be happy to lend a hand or just shoot the old bull around for a while

Modified by NH_Bora+ at 2:42 PM 7-31-2009

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      07-31-2009 09:57 PM #132
      Quote, originally posted by NH_Bora+ »
      next time you're at loudon hit me up, I live about 10 minutes from there, I'd be happy to lend a hand or just shoot the old bull around for a while

Might just do that. Thursday night open track is always an option.

28. 07-31-2009 11:49 PM #133
      I don't know too much about racing in general but all I have to say is wow. This is so nice to see someone more interested in driving their car for fun and make it perform well opposed to be as low as possible ect. Props to you and you get several

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      08-01-2009 07:24 AM #134
      It is all about the racing for me. Granted, the cars I race today look a lot better than those that I used to race (my first racer was a bit rusty; at 1984 Rabbit L, white, with fenders that didn't hold up well with the winters).

The last car I built for racing was a 1984 Rabbit GTI. That was a fun build. I really want to do a Rabbit again and turboize it.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      08-02-2009 11:54 PM #135
      I did a bit of work on the Cabriolet tonight. It was running a hot on my way home from Okemo today.... changed the spark plugs, gutted the t-stat (defective... needle was off center), will change the oil (not enough time tonight), etc.

While I was in there, I removed some non-essentially environmental hoses to clean things up a bit. I found a hose coming from the throttle body (about 3 feet long) that terminated next to the battery... huh? What's that for? Still don't know.

I noticed that the bend in the pressure side of the fuel rail actually was quite restrictive... I suppose it increases pressure, but decreases volume (or does it?). Anyway, seems there could be a better way to do this.

The fuel source is on the driver's side of the car as opposed to the passenger side... 1.8t engines have the fuel source on the passenger strut housing. So, the person that swapped this engine into the Cabriolet bent the tubing to make it a cleaner connection to the driver's side.

Well, this got me thinking (it happens from time to time). Is there any reason I can't just put the fuel race on the other way? I turned the injectors around 180-degrees so that the plugs still connected on the backside of the intake. The fuel pressure regulator would be at a 45-degree angle... is there any issue with this being at an angle??? I would just need to make some short metal pieces with a hole at either end to connect the bracket on the fuel rail to the normal mounting point 1.5" (or so) inches away.

Thoughts? Concerns? Anyone else do this?

Vehicles
      B6 Passat Variant, B5.5 Passat Variant, company honda
      08-09-2009 07:19 PM #136
      Quote, originally posted by Rabbit Farmer »

Thoughts? Concerns? Anyone else do this?

seems to make a lot of sense with the fuel rail, as long as the brackets are modified to make the mounting points work so that the injectors and rail are held in place, I think that it will be much better than having a bent hard line into the rail, seems like a bad idea to me. as long as you have a good seal on your injector seats and your rail isn't moving around I'd say it's a simple and more reliable solution.

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      08-10-2009 12:14 AM #137
      I will try flipping the fuel rail. It was also suggested to me to use an Audi fuel rail.

I updated the very first post with some pictures that I just found hiding on my hard drive from the day that I was looking at the mess of a car that is now the track Golf. It used to look more like a chicken coop with hay, junk, screws/nails, lots of dirt (everywhere since the dirt on the floor ended up all over the place during the roll over), extension cords, plastic bags full of who-knows-what, pieces of wood, etc. I excepted to locate Hoffa in there, but the seller took all the crap out (thanks!) before I picked it up.

Transmission is sitting at http://www.FastAddiction.com right now as John tries to determine what we need to do to get the Golf back on the road.

Work on the turbo Rabbit (aka Tub II) continues as the Burke #2 hillclimb (2009) approaches.

Steve

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      08-12-2009 12:54 AM #138
      The search for reason for the poorly running turbo Rabbit (aka Tub II) continues.

I started by mapping out the engine wiring harness. Three hours later I have everything under the dash mapped except those wires that continue through the firewall to laa-laa land. Wednesday night I will continue to locate the end of those wires. The reason for the mapping is that I'm trying to identify all the grounds to ensure they are connected properly.

I learned a couple of things.

First, there are three outlets on the fuel distributor... one is terminated. The other two go to injectors... one mounted before the throttle body and one after. The one before the throttle body has a electronic controller and a wire that goes somewhere.... 'somewhere' should be identified on Wednesday night.

Second... the 'brain' is Callaway Turbo Systems, Inc. model number 1084 / serial number 1787. This will hence forth be the 'Magic Box'. There is a vacuum tube connected to the Magic Box that goes to a tube off of the intake manifold (I assume this is a MAP sensor).

So, let's talk about how the car isn't running properly. If I give it gas the engine doesn't rev up as fast as it should (sluggish) and the tachometer doesn't seem to quite mirror what the engine is actually doing. This might just be my perception. I looked at all the wires associated with the tach, the fuse box (all 6 fuses), and the direct ignition coils. Here is what I have.

COILS: There are two coils mounted to a plate. Coming into the plate is Green (to Green tach), Gray (magnetic pickup on distributor), Red (Ignition relay [unsure of post number at the moment]), and Black (ground). Another Green wire connects to a screw on Coil A (goes to 1 and 4 cylinders) that goes to the bottom post of the fan toggle switch on the dash. The toggle switch is off when down; on the bottom of this toggle switch is another wire that goes to the bottom of the Fuel toggle switch then the Ignition toggle switch and then to the Ignition relay.

The ignition relay goes to Ignition toggle switch, coils, other two posts go to post on the fuse box (unsure if + or -).

TACH: The tach has a Black, Red, Green and White wire coming out of one part of the back of the tach that then go into this epoxy section on the back of the tach. From this epoxy section, the White comes out and ends, the Black goes to ground, Red to bottom post of the Alt toggle switch, and Green splits with one going to the Magic box (pin number 7) and one to coils.

The switches....
      Alt (alternator)... car will run with this off, but with no power.
      Fuel turns on the fuel pump
      Fan turns on the fan (duh!)

From the Magic Box, we have a gray wrapped wire that goes to someone in the engine bay (Wednesday night), Red (bottom post of Alt toggle switch), Black (Green wire on Tach) and Orange (ground).

There is a lot more going on, of course, with all the toggle switches, gauges, etc. I actually found two questionable wires (one that goes from Alt switch to ground and one to the oil pressure override switch). I'm unsure if the bottom of the Alt toggle switch to the ground would cause the issue that I am experiencing, but you never know. It was actually the ONLY wire that I could find that was not properly soldered and shrink wrapped... it had duct tape. It is actually a very nice wiring job under the dash.

So, the saga continues on Wednesday. I want to map everything out for the grounds (as I mentioned) plus when I swapped this all over to another shell, I want to know how to connect all the Legos.

Oh, one the Magic Box is a little cover that has "Advance Adjustments".... unsure what all of the knobs do, but they don't seem to have the rev limiter setting on there (could be wrong, I'll look at my pictures later). If it doesn't... where is it? Another mystery to solve.

The tach is a VDO Street Eliminator # 1-211-005-019A (97/04). I'll do some research soon to see what I am dealing with.

One last note (wow, long boring text post... gimme some pictures!!!).... regarding the tach Green wire that goes to the coils and to the Magic Box... on the coil, the green wire goes into what looks like a pile of white silicone. The wire is bent, but I'm unsure if it is broken or faulty in anyway. What is the white silicone stuff and can I remove it to check the green wire connection (and what do I replace the white silicone goop with when done)?

Yawn... enough for tonight.

Steve

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 12:27 PM 9-11-2009

Vehicles
      MK1-MK4-MK4-WRX-Ford
      09-11-2009 12:26 PM #139
      Thanks to John at FastAddiction.com I was able to drive my car for 4th overall at the Burke hillclimb (good times!!!)... just two Subarus and a Legends-type car beat me. Thanks for all the fast cars that didn't show up... I'm usually top 7 to 10, not top 5. Oh, well... I'll take it. Car ran great with the 300wHP, but I was praying the car would magically self-install AWD. Didn't happen regardless of how much beer I drank. Beer muscles didn't form either.

In-Car..... not my fastest run, but within 8/100ths of a second to it.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvFz05_8tZc

Side by side with my car and my friends STI is coming soon.

Then it happened.... we rent a small track in Morristown, NY about three times a year. The track is 3/4 of a mile, 13 turns, and about 28 feet wide. We run time trials with two cars at a time on the track as the layout of the track allows for this. Car ran great on Friday (both my wife and me were driving it) and great for half of Saturday. Then *pop* *zing* *ziiiiiiippppppppp* *grind* occurred. Darn it, there goes my axle again. Hmmm, seems my axle is functioning in all the gears but second. So, I guess 2nd and 3rd (recently replaced) were in cahoots (always thought that word was spelled with a 'k') and 2nd gear joined 3rd in the big transmission in the sky. Bye bye 2nd gear... write if you find work.

So, what to do? Race gears for the 5 speed? Get a 02M (6-speed) and change everything else? Get a Quife dog box for the 5 speed that converts it to a 6 speed ($6k)? Of course, this is further complicated as I really want an AWD for hillclimbing as I have max'ed out the FWD performance. Short term solution is to grab a second (might grab 1st while I'm at it) gear from another transmission I have and use it at the hillclimbs (two more this season) and be a little more gentle with it. Then over the winter decide what to do with the transmission to make it bullet proof or sell the whole car now and start on my Subaru racer instead.

As the VW Turns will continue after these commerical messages.

Steve

Modified by Rabbit Farmer at 12:28 PM 9-11-2009

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32 S/C 78' Kawasaki kz650SR built
      09-11-2009 01:06 PM #140
      definatly the best and most extensive build threads ive ever seen....great job man
      (O : o)=R32=W====(o : O)
      I <3 (.Y.)
      If you don't like my post. IDGAF.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast