Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tiptronic issue

1. 06-19-2007 10:46 AM #1
      Hi !

I recently started to have that issue: I can't get into Tiptronic mode. I can't even get in "D", it get's in "D" only when I get in "4". Until now I haven't had any problems getting in "R" though. As anyone had this kind of issues, or does anyone know what can be done to fix this. I am hoping this may just be some small adjustments because other than that the car runs perfectly and the tranny seems to shift properly and everything. BTW it's a Jetta 02 1.8T

Thanks guys !

06-21-2007 11:31 AM #2
      pop off the shifter cover and make sure your magnets are still in the right places.

Vehicles
      mkIV Jetta "valve eater" - 07' Chevy Colorado - 2011 Tiguan SE
      06-21-2007 11:45 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Variety=Spice »
      pop off the shifter cover and make sure your magnets are still in the right places.

Can you elaborate a little on this?

*RIP Alexi 1984-2011*

OSD

2013 NE DUSTOFF

4. 06-22-2007 09:09 AM #4
      I agree, I would love for someone to elaborate on the subject. I did pop off the shifter cover. Got to the circuit board, but I was unsure of where are supposed to be the magnets, etc. Would be nice to get more info on this !

06-22-2007 11:07 AM #5
      biggest magnet circled in red...often comes unglued and gets lost. small magnet imbedded in the rubber behind the silver part of the shifter in this view...actually to the left of the shift lever.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2700013.phtml

6. 11-18-2007 10:26 PM #7
      Does replacing these two magnet strips actually make my tiptronic engage and work like it should? Is it just to make the shifter display lights work right? I opened mine up and found one magnet strip and those things that hold them were swinging around my shifter like a hula-hoop, i had no idea what they were for, the pictures in this thread helped a lot. So if i replace these things, where do they go?, both of them, im clueless since I have nothing to go off of. IS this all i need to replace? When I move the shifter over to the "tip" , nothing happens.

11-19-2007 03:56 PM #8
      The magnets are required to put the tranny into tip mode and to shift gears. When the lever is pushed to the right a switch is activated by the magnet engages the Tip circuitry. There are 2 other switches/sensors that the magnet activates to shift up and down. The sensors are located on the circuit board under the chrome shifter trim. What typically happens is the glue holding the magnet onto the plastic fails and allows the magnet to escape to the nearest metal part. Double check that your magnet is still there.

I can't tell you if that's your only problem, but it's a good place to start.

The long skinny magnet will end up on the far right of the assembly. There are tracks (left to right) in the flexible rubber cover. The multiple plastic chips are just to provide a finished look the shifter assy as the lever moves left and right. IIRC, it was a bit tricky getting the magnet lined up right.

Here's a LITTLE mor info: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2810322

8. 11-26-2008 10:39 AM #9
      I get a fault for the Tiptronic switch. im missing the plastic rubber boot on the shifter, does the boot have any magnets in it as well? let me know

11-26-2008 02:01 PM #10
      might help to click on the links above...... esp this one: http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2700013.phtml