So I have started work on the project. I picked up an engine hoist on Friday night. I spent most of Saturday chasing down parts that I needed for the swap. Then I began disconnecting the hoses and wires from the engine. On Sunday I unbolted the drive shafts and removed the fron subframe. Now the old engine is sitting on the floor and the transmission has been removed from it. Here are pictures of the work as it progressed:
The final mileage on the 8v before I started the project:
My car is now a dead duck
Before tearing into it ...
Final progress on Saturday:
And then more work on Sunday:
As it sits, waiting for me to continue working on it:
Next up is cleaning out the entire engine bay. Then I am going to take a look at the steering rack because I think it needs to be replaced. I am also going to have to figure out what direction I want to go with my transmission setup. Now the fun can begin.