Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MKIV Rear brake job DIY with pictures

1. 07-21-2007 02:41 PM #1
      Well thanks to the the DIY that MRP2001GTi posted I was able to do the rear brakes today on my girls 2002 1.8t Jetta today. The DIY's that I have come across for the rear brakes are ok, but pictures seem to be missing. Threads are worthless without pictures right? I've enjoyed this forum so much and have really appreciated all the help that I thought it was time to add my own contribution. This DIY for the rear brakes with photos and won't disappear unless photobucket kicks the bucket. haha

08 IS-F Ultrasonic Blue 11.9@120mph
      02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

2. Banned
      07-22-2007 03:13 PM #2
      Very nice. This should be added to the FAQ.

I recommend an extra thin 15mm wrench from a bicycle tool-set since many standard 15mm wrenches just won't fit the tight space. More notes on that along with the rear caliper tools here:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...11541

Modified by phatvw at 12:14 PM 7-22-2007

3. 07-22-2007 08:34 PM #3
      I had no problems with a standard craftsman 15mm open end wrench. Maybe certain years require a thinner one?

Also I should have mentioned in the last picture to pump the brakes a few times before going out for a spin. Just don't want people to be surprised by the pedal going to the floor at first.

02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

4. 07-25-2007 07:33 AM #4
      Wow 127 views and only one person had any response? I'll just take that as a good thing then.

Oh and something else I forgot to mention. Install at your own risk.

02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

5. 07-26-2007 06:50 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by caymandiver75 »
      Wow 127 views and only one person had any response? I'll just take that as a good thing then.

Oh and something else I forgot to mention. Install at your own risk.

probably cause there is nothing more to say.

BPCDubs» aka king_hil, white_rice, white_r!ce

6. 07-26-2007 07:34 PM #6
      Nice job....one question;

Where did you get the "Special Tool" to push the cylinder back in? I took my caliper off and using a Vise, could not get it to go back in...is it junk - or was it because the vise was likely not pushing radially straight enough??

7. 07-26-2007 07:43 PM #7
      I got the tool from Advanced Auto parts. When you push the rear piston in it has to be turned at the same time, which is what the "special tool" does. Just use the tool and go nice and slow until you hit resistance.
      02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

8. 07-26-2007 09:18 PM #8
      Great! Thanks.

Vehicles
      08 Civic Si
      07-26-2007 11:49 PM #9
      nice post....
      i'm having a bit problem here...
      I install rear rotors (not pads those looks fine to me)... I don't use the tool & push caliper back on the new rotors (bit struggle & with rubber hammer) ..... everything looks fine then but tire wasn't moving freely .. after test drive, Rotors & caliper was very HOT & smell bad.
      short story ... after 30 miles the smell is gone & tire spin freely, rotors won't get that much hot but now one side rotor is squealing in lower speed braking. I'm not sure that I have to reset the caliper or I have to change the pads same time or I should just use some "Stop Brake Squeal" spray...

PLEASE HELP

10. 08-21-2007 05:02 PM #10
      you probably burned off your pad, i had the same problem when my ebrake was stuck... now both rotors and pads are shot.

11. 09-22-2007 12:40 AM #11
      Where did you use Anti-seize 13?

12. Banned
      09-22-2007 02:30 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by JettaGLS2002 »
      Where did you use Anti-seize 13?

On the "holding screw" for the rotor and on the hub-rotor interface.

13. 09-22-2007 08:54 PM #13
      ...just parked my '03 in the street after moving it around using no brakes. I've got one of the cube tools with two points ground down, but it wasn't doing squat. I mean, I'd press in and turn... and turn... and slip off and bust another knuckle... and press in some more and turn some more.

Nothing. No movement in on either rear caliper (just to compare and make sure the driver's side isn't hosed. Either that or both are sized or just plain hosed).

Logged in, go to the brakes forum and saw this godsend of a DIY. I'm now convinced I've got to find that caliper tool and go at this again.

Thanks

- mike

14. Banned
      09-22-2007 09:30 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by sweater »
      ...just parked my '03 in the street after moving it around using no brakes. I've got one of the cube tools with two points ground down, but it wasn't doing squat. I mean, I'd press in and turn... and turn... and slip off and bust another knuckle... and press in some more and turn some more.

Nothing. No movement in on either rear caliper (just to compare and make sure the driver's side isn't hosed. Either that or both are sized or just plain hosed).

Logged in, go to the brakes forum and saw this godsend of a DIY. I'm now convinced I've got to find that caliper tool and go at this again.

Thanks

- mike

You can do it with the cube tool. You need to mount the calipers onto the axle with the rotors off. Then alternate between rotating with a ratchet and pressing with a c-clamp. You can't get enough pressure by just pushing on the ratchet - you need the c-clamp.

15. 09-22-2007 11:29 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by phatvw »
      You can do it with the cube tool. You need to mount the calipers onto the axle with the rotors off. Then alternate between rotating with a ratchet and pressing with a c-clamp. You can't get enough pressure by just pushing on the ratchet - you need the c-clamp.

Thank you.

The original DIY I was working off of didn't mention that (plus with the pics being down...).

Off to Carquatocheckerzone tomorrow to pick up one of those kits.

- mike

16. 09-23-2007 08:21 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by sweater »
      Off to Carquatocheckerzone tomorrow to pick up one of those kits.

Can I make one point very clear:

Use the brake caliper retraction tool when doing the rear brakes on a MK4.

I would go so far as to suggest not bothering doing this job without one. It was a free loan (or $35 to keep) from AutoZone, and took care of retracting the caliper piston in 30 minutes for both sides. I spent about 3 hours battling those yesterday.

Thanks again for the help and the writeup.

Oh, and the OEM/Hawk HPS combo just about kicks ass.

- mike

17. 09-25-2007 10:50 PM #17
      just got done changing my rear pads. thanks to this thread, i saved a lot of money. the tool was a free loan from pep boys. i only paid for the pads. no problem so far. I had the cube, it did not fit my piston.

18. 09-25-2007 10:57 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Rico#919 »
      just got done changing my rear pads. thanks to this thread, i saved a lot of money. the tool was a free loan from pep boys. i only paid for the pads. no problem so far. I had the cube, it did not fit my piston.

Glad the thread helped you out with the rear brake change. I've come across several DIY threads that have saved me a lot of time and money and this was my contribution back to the forum. Now go have yourself that beer you deserve.

02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

19. 09-26-2007 02:16 AM #19
      just opened my beer. was i supposed to lubricate anything? somebody asked me.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Acura Legend (A), 04 Acura Integra GS (5spd), 02 Honda S2000 (6spd), 01 VW Jetta WE 1.8T (5spd)
      09-27-2007 12:51 AM #20
      just a quick question for everyone:

1) How do you know if you have a seized caliper?

2) If you compress the piston will it come back up? i.e. do i need to quickly reinstall the rotors and pads?

3) Is it necessary to install the thin metal plates over the pads (the stuff u spray disc brake quiet on)? I didn't see any on the photos in this DIY so I'm wondering that was omitted?

TIA !!!

21. 09-27-2007 07:29 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by Jon718 »

2) If you compress the piston will it come back up? i.e. do i need to quickly reinstall the rotors and pads?

3) Is it necessary to install the thin metal plates over the pads (the stuff u spray disc brake quiet on)? I didn't see any on the photos in this DIY so I'm wondering that was omitted?

TIA !!!

Not sure about 1 and 2, but 3 I sprayed nothing on any brake parts except for brake cleaner or wd-40. You can put some anti-sieze on the bolts, but that is also optional.

02 VW Jetta 1.8t (daily)

Vehicles
      2013 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4, 2013 Audi A3 TDI
      09-27-2007 02:53 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Jon718 »

TIA !!!

Typically with a siezed rear caliper, your brake pads on that side won't disengage when you remove the parking brake. Just happened to our Miata.

Also, I didn't see you support the caliper when doing the work. You shouldn't let the caliper hang by the brake line.

Oh... I just got a clue. Oohhhhh.... Ohhhph Frank! I have such a raging clue right now, I think we better follow it.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Acura Legend (A), 04 Acura Integra GS (5spd), 02 Honda S2000 (6spd), 01 VW Jetta WE 1.8T (5spd)
      09-30-2007 02:32 AM #23
      Ok just got done doing one side, however i just tried the other side and my special tool is stuck in between the caliper and piston!!! I can't turn it anyway which way as I've fully depressed the piston and now can't remove the tool. What should I do now?

24. 09-30-2007 02:38 AM #24
      You have to use wrench to release the special tool

Vehicles
      current- 14' TE 4runner---previous 2013 335I, 2012 Tundra 4x4, 04 Audi A4, 02 GTi 1.8T, 88 90q
      09-30-2007 06:30 PM #25
      If you want to save some time you dont have to remove the carrier. The rotor will come out. Now if you have studs for yours wheels you will have to remove the carrier Nice write up
      02 GTi 1.8T haldex'd w/35r-SOLD 7.3@102mph 27psi on 93 octane--04 A4 1.8T converted to AWD also- SOLD--'11 JSW Tdi 6speed Manual- Gone--
      13' BMW 335i M-sport EBII

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      10-03-2007 05:56 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by O2VW1.8T »
      If you want to save some time you dont have to remove the carrier. The rotor will come out. Now if you have studs for yours wheels you will have to remove the carrier Nice write up

You beat me too it. I was scanning the post for any mention of not having to remove the carrier. Not a big deal if you do, but it saves a few minutes by leaving it on.

27. 10-03-2007 06:12 PM #27
      The special tool number is 27111 from AutoZone.

28. 10-07-2007 10:18 AM #28
      I'm having a bit of a problem.

On the caliper carrier, there's those 2 "pistons" (sorry don't know the exact term, see red circles on 3rd photo). They are completely stuck in rust. I guess they are supposed to move freely causes there's one that is moving ok but the others don't so I can't replace the caliper since the new pads are thicker.

What to do?
      Thanks!

29. 10-15-2007 06:33 PM #29
      hey sorry to bring this back but im having issues with my rear brakes on my mkIV Jetta. Ive got the piston tool and everything but as I turn it it wont go in at all, it only turns. I tried going counter clockwise and it backs out but clockwise it wont go back in lol. Granted I dont have my rotors off and the caliper remounted but would that really make a difference?

30. Banned
      10-15-2007 06:51 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Meanie5470 »
      hey sorry to bring this back but im having issues with my rear brakes on my mkIV Jetta. Ive got the piston tool and everything but as I turn it it wont go in at all, it only turns. I tried going counter clockwise and it backs out but clockwise it wont go back in lol. Granted I dont have my rotors off and the caliper remounted but would that really make a difference?

Yes! take the rotors off and remount the caliper. Makes it so much easier.

31. 10-16-2007 12:57 AM #31
      ok yea **** this retarded setup. I got it all done and all but damn what a pain in the a$$ lol. 1 more question tho, what would happen if I lost 1 of the metal clips in 1 of the calipers? Very bad things?

32. 10-16-2007 11:41 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Meanie5470 »

try opening the brake fluid reservoir. this happened to me, the fluid being pushed back needs somewhere to go. i kept trying to push it, when i opened the reservoir, it easily retracted.

33. 10-16-2007 04:25 PM #33
      good thread... getting ready to do my rear brakes.... good write up

34. 10-18-2007 08:43 PM #34
      just finished and write up is a must read. one word of advice... get right tools.... pushing pistons back in.... pain in the !!!!!! right tools = job getting done faster and easier !!!

Vehicles
      82 1.6D rabbit pickup, 2009 TDI JSW
      10-23-2007 08:26 PM #35
      more tips:
      1) spray down the bleeder valve with penetrating oil before starting
      2) when compression piston, it is much easier to bleed the caliper while using the "special tool" -that way you are not forcing brake fluid back thru the system. -just into your waste brake fluid container -and arguably easier your on ABS and Master Cylinder.
      3) if in a Winter salt area -toss some anti-seize on the rotor hat- if you have alloys -so they don't get stuck on. -nothing like trying to change a wheel that won't come off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast