Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MKIV Rear brake job DIY with pictures

Vehicles
      01 Audi TT 225Q AMU
      10-12-2008 11:48 PM #51
      bump for a good thread, i love how close a community you VW guys are. . . wish the audi guys were alittle more close like this at times [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

2. 10-14-2008 11:18 AM #52
      Great DIY. Thanks. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      TDI for the win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. 10-14-2008 12:06 PM #53
      Quote, originally posted by Rico#919 »
      just opened my beer. was i supposed to lubricate anything? somebody asked me.

When you change pads you should always clean and regrease (with Synthetic Caliper Grease...not plain ol axle grease) the caliper guide pins (on the back they're inside the carrier (the head of them is what you put the 15mm open ended wrench on to unscrew lock bolts). Work boot off carrier gently and pull out the pins, clean with Brake Clean and smear on some SCG!...Keeps calipers from hangin up and destroyin you're new pads..and cookin all the grease outa your wheel bearings in the process!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

4. 10-14-2008 03:22 PM #54
      great diy. thanks.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8T
      10-17-2008 09:01 PM #55
      Did you use a widowmaker jack? Thanks for the DIY even tho it's super old. Seems to be the only one with pics for the rear brakes.
      Need VAG-COM / VCDS near So-Cal / Redondo Beach? Hit me up!
      Also have boost leak tester with PRV for 2.75-3" TIP!

Vehicles
      Black Magic PAIN, E46 //M3
      10-18-2008 01:58 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by spitpilot »
      A few additions to some great DIY write up work:
      1)Pull caliper slide pins outa the carriers and clean em good then lube with "synthetic brake caliper grease"...DO NOT use regular grease..it will not stand the temps and is harmfull to rubber sealing boots.
      2) Apply some antisieze on the little screw that locks rotor to hub and also a thin wipe around the hole of the rotor so it won't sieze to the hub. DO NOT apply antisieze to wheel lug bolts (seen this in other DIY write ups...not a good thing to do...reccomended against in shop manuals.
      3) Apply a layer of "Brake Quiet" to the pad backings (unless the pads you buy already have antisqueal shims bonded to the backs as some do)
      4) Either buy new caliper lock bolts or apply a drop or two of "Locktite Blue" to the threads.
      5) Someone with MKIV Bentley chime in with proper torque ratings for:
      carrier bolts:?
      caliper locking bolts: ?
      wheel lug bolts: ?
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

oh oh guys.. i put anti seize on my wheel locks. should i clean it off? Just had a hard time taking them off and I thought putting anti-seize on it will make it easy on me.
      BMP IS PMP

7. 10-18-2008 06:42 PM #57
      Excellent post!!! If I can only add one thing always check/clean/lubricate caliper slides.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8T
      10-20-2008 04:27 PM #58
      DO NOT start any job that requires taking off the rotors without a good rust breaker / bolt loosener like PB Blaster and a heavy rubber mallet (unless you have a second car to get them after you have the wheels off).

9. 10-26-2008 06:49 PM #59
      I am trying to compress the passenger rear caliper with the special tool, it will not budge, even while bleeding the brake line. I just finished the other side and had little problems? Yes my E brake is off.
      EXTREMELY STUMPED???

10. 10-28-2008 06:18 PM #60
      ECS tuning sells an awesome brake caliper piston tool made by schwaben for like $40, it comes in a pelican case with fittings for all differnt vehicles vw's included. It made the rear brake job so much easier, i was very happy with it, and i can use it on my other vehicles too!

Vehicles
      01 Audi TT 225/99.5 VW Jetta 2.0 (Retired)/09 VW Eos 2.0T (Hers)
      11-20-2008 12:07 AM #61
      Used to replace a rear caliper, very helpful thank you [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      From a buyer:
      Quote Originally Posted by PKstrategy View Post
      bump for a good seller
      received my package on time and in pristine wrapped condition.
      Items for sale: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post86910311

12. 11-20-2008 11:07 AM #62
      Quote, originally posted by rorofast »
      oh oh guys.. i put anti seize on my wheel locks. should i clean it off? Just had a hard time taking them off and I thought putting anti-seize on it will make it easy on me.
      Bentley specifically says "DO NOT lubricate wheel lug bolts" I just clean em on my power wire wheel if they look dirity when I pull the tires for rotation/brake fluid flush. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8T
      11-24-2008 01:37 PM #63
      Quote, originally posted by Chupa999 »
      I am trying to compress the passenger rear caliper with the special tool, it will not budge, even while bleeding the brake line. I just finished the other side and had little problems? Yes my E brake is off.
      EXTREMELY STUMPED???

Really late, JIC anybody else forgets - You have to prevent the pressure nut (the nut the shaft goes thru) that pushes the plate against the caliper from rotating by using a wrench. Otherwise, you're not pushing the caliper in, you're just rotating it until it can rotate no more. At that point, you also can't spin it backwards, you have to just push it directly in w/out rotating it anymore. So don't just put the tool on and start spinning the little handle... GL!

14. 11-24-2008 02:05 PM #64
      This is a really great DIY, with awesome pictures. Thanks for doing this! I will be using it this weekend.
      Not to hijack, but I noticed that one of my rotors is missing it's set screw. Do I have to stop over at the dealership to get a few replacements, or can they be had anywhere?

15. 11-24-2008 06:23 PM #65
      question, may brakes are squeeking sometimes when pressed on lightly, i bought the car with 46k and was told it had new breaks dont really know how true that is now, well the car is about to have 51k on it and was wondering if anyone could help me out? pm me please, thanks

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8T
      12-01-2008 08:25 PM #66
      What do you clean your wheels with?

17. 12-04-2008 12:18 PM #67
      Great post...I've got a 1996 Golf GTI VR6, just wanted to know if all the stuff you did jives for my vehicle as well. I can never remember is mine is MKIII or MKIV. Thanks

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2012 CC
      12-12-2008 11:50 AM #68
      Bump... So I can find this quicker

Vehicles
      75 scirocco, 80 westy, A6 avant
      12-12-2008 08:26 PM #69
      thats a great write up.
      BBS Motorsports
      Brand new BBS E50 for sale
      DRAKE stuff for sale

Vehicles
      03 BMP20AE
      12-15-2008 05:38 PM #70
      i Cant get my front rotor off i tried the brake cleaner, wd-40 and beating the **** out of it with a malet, wont budge. i took the caliper off and the holder screw off. any idea? some guy said we should use rust breaker, would that do the trick??

Vehicles
      03 BMP20AE
      12-17-2008 11:30 PM #71
      I just found out today that the way to get stuck rotors off is to hit the mounting center part of the rotor with a hammer. I tried beating the crap out of the outer rotor (where the pads rub) and nothing. I hit the center part with a hammer a couple of times and like that they popped off, worked on all for rotors

22. 01-02-2009 12:17 PM #72
      You can also torch the rotor "hat" a bit around the hub..not too much and don't torch the hub itself..you don't wanna cook the grease outa the wheel bearings! That will loosen up siezed rotor/hub area..I always apply a little antisieze to the inner side of the rotor hat and around the hole edge and to the lock screw as well to make "next time " ezier! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

23. 01-02-2009 04:16 PM #73
      Why am I thinking I can do my own brakes ?
      For the love of God and all that is holy someone please talk me out of this. Its a bad bad idea.
      Still the pictures make it look easy....SHUT UP ! There I go again. I fall over when I tie my shoes. Oh cmon its not that bad YES IT IS SOMEONE LOCK ME UP !!!
      The last time I tried doing brakes I was out in the rain at 3am with a flashlight in my mouth crawling around in the grass looking for springs and screws. I had to wait till the sun came up to call a tow truck.
      Seriously Im an adult Im not retarded. Thats a lie I am retarded.

24. 01-02-2009 04:41 PM #74
      Quote, originally posted by Iknowbetterthantotry »
      I am retarded.

I'll vouch for that.
      TDI for the win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLI & 2007 WRX STi
      02-16-2009 07:59 PM #75
      Why does everyone take off/replace their rotors? It seems like every thread regarding the rear brakes describes taking the rotors off. I will be replacing the pads on my wife's GLi and wasn't planning on doing the rotors. I just replaced the pads on my STi and it was cake; these VW brakes couldn't be more complicated. Holy Hell!!
      >>Edit-I own a Subaru and just couldn't understand that removing the lugnuts allows you to remove the rotor by just unscrewing that phillips head. I also see there is no way to compress the piston unless you remove the rotors. Sorry for my ignorance!

Modified by sti2relaxxin at 8:46 AM 2-18-2009

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast