Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you Flapper Mod. Our New R32

1. 07-24-2007 11:25 AM #1
      Please, someone, anyone, buhler??? tell me how to do the flapper mod or would my dealers vw/audi guys know how to do it. not a oil change monkey
      either, one of the audi techs...can someone provide the baby steps please??

is anything required/needed to mod it or is it just a little trick??

I'm sure some smartypants will find a thread to look at, but I just
      want to make sure it's for the USA spec 2008 MKV R32, so ahead of
      time no need for any dumbness as I think most folks would find this
      beneficial versus spending 1000-1100 bucks right away on a new cat-back...

2. 07-24-2007 11:42 AM #2
      Euro 3.2L A3 has a flapper, US 3.2L A3 doesn't.

Euro MkV R32 has a flapper, will the US version have one?

3. 07-24-2007 11:44 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by 3dr A3 3.2 »
      Euro 3.2L A3 has a flapper, US 3.2L A3 doesn't.

Euro MkV R32 has a flapper, will the US version have one?

oh noooo, once again, a mystery.....

Hold on, I getting a clue now......

I am totally getting a clue.......

I am clued out

Hope we do have it, if not we will have to have it one way or another

4. 07-24-2007 11:45 AM #4
      hey ben, I'm the guy trading in my USA 'Sportback' (4)Door A3 3.2 for the new R...I have Millteks on mine now, it's a nice growel...

I am not sure about the flapper, but word is it's resonated and will
      have the flapper-vacuum as well- so thats why I'm trying to get the low-down

5. 07-24-2007 11:46 AM #5
      Sorry to hi-jack, but 3dr A3 3.2,

Do you have a pic of your intake? I am curious

Vehicles
      2008/VW/R32
      07-24-2007 12:00 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by ghost4 »
      Yes, I know the flapper mod has been done to death, perhaps the MkV perspective will put a new spin on it. I've done a lot of trawling and found very little on the MkV flapper - I'm guessing because they are yet to land in the U.S.?

From what I have read the consensus is that ALL 3.2s have the diverter valve. After reading the various MkIV R32 Flapper threads I stuck my head under the car to discover that on the MkV it is not where it is under the MkIV, nor does it look the same.

Apparently the 3.2 TT's flapper is located in a different location to the MkIVs too.

I have taken some pics and seek the assistance of The Vortex Elders before I wield a spanner in anger.

Clip above is as a point of reference.

Pic above is taken from between the 2 pipes. You will note at the bottom of the pic, to the right of the 'diffuser', half of a black circular object - which I think is the diverter valve.

Closer shot, you will note that it is black plastic rather than metal like the mkIVs.

Closer shot from between the two pipes. The silver part at the top of the pic is part of the muffler.

Pic above shows how the suspected flapper is attached to one of the exhaust pipes, as well as the suspected vacuum hose?

Another close up of the flapper near the exhaust hanger.

Final pic from the right showing the hose disappearing into somewhere.

So what are everyones thoughts - is this the 'flapper' on the MkV and should it be dealt with in a manner similar to how it has been done in the MkIV?

Modified by ghost4motion at 1:27 AM 1-3-2007

Quote, originally posted by ghost4 »
      Flapper mod completed!!!

Pulled off the vacuum tube with a pair of pliers and screwed a screw into the hose.

I shone a torch down the right hand exhaust pipe and found that the flapper is in the open position.

Have taken her for a quick blast and there is a little more VR6 music lower down, but it is not obnoxiously loud either, as some on the UK forum suggested.

It's all good... now what can I do next?

Modified by Tampavw at 12:10 PM 7-24-2007

R32/939

7. 07-24-2007 12:16 PM #7
      Copying vr6fanatic's post from the other thread since this is a good place to put it...

Quote, originally posted by vr6fanatic »
      I posted this before,

http://www.antiqpc.de/Anleitun...2.pdf

Note that the DIY appears to be detailing how to mod the flapper so that you don't have to mess with the vacuum line and it gives the vehicle's CPU the false impression that the flapper is still working (so you won't have any stored codes).

This is the way to do it

8. 07-24-2007 12:28 PM #8
      justin, por favor, can you post the how to steps, I can't download that file due to security where I work...thanks dude-
      I appreciate you finding the DYK on that, I wouldn't want to do that differently...

9. 07-24-2007 12:39 PM #9
      hope this works for you

10. 07-24-2007 03:27 PM #10
      I'll find a way to translate it....espeken de'duetch not???!!

thanks...

Vehicles
      2003 GTi VR6, 2006 Touareg V8
      07-24-2007 03:36 PM #11

12. 07-24-2007 04:05 PM #12
      #1 remove flapper
      #2 take apart flapper
      #3 apply tape over hole in flapper (high temp tape or duct tape??)
      #4 put the flapper back together
      #5 reinstall flapper

13. 07-24-2007 04:14 PM #13
      Is it that simple?

14. 07-24-2007 06:55 PM #14
      thanks dude, wow, I wonder if it really is THAT simple...

also, let me know what you think about the new Haldex....I will let you
      know as I know I am first on the list, if I install mine if it's here in
      time...I think it will be as I made that whole group buy thing happen--
      with the help of HPA and other car enthusiasts...

15. 07-24-2007 07:01 PM #15
      Take my translation with a grain of salt, because well, I don't speak german

It's a flapper though, it's not like it's the fuel injection pump or something. It couldn't possibly be that complicated. You could even do the mod easier by clamping that vacuum line shut, but that will throw a code until you open the line again. Not a CEL causing code, but a code that shows up with a VAG-COM scan nonetheless.

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      07-24-2007 07:22 PM #16
      It looks more of PITA, I'd go what justinperkins said. unplug and cramp the hose. ohh make sure you plug the actuator so no debris and rain can get in. (it happened to me) I know this is an MKIV R, but I thought this could help out too. http://video.google.com/videop...34811
      Laz

Many people enjoy eating apples and oranges, but in the end they are still… just apples and oranges. The R32 is passion fruit. . Live Long and Prosper.

17. 07-25-2007 02:11 AM #17
      I do hope the US will get a flapper, as it's a simple and easy thing to mod.

If you do get it, I think there may be a simple way to switch-activate the flapper:

Vacuum is taken from the engine's intake, and routed to the back of the car to a spherical reservoir. Between the reservoir and the exhaust-mounted flapper diaphragm (pictured above) there is an electrically-controlled "gate". When the gate closes, the valve opens, and vice-versa.

I should be easy to tap the electrical line going to the gate, and route another electrical line back into the cabin for a three-way switch: standard/always open/always closed.

In this photo you can barely discern the spherical reservoir; it is just to the left of the exhaust:

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      07-25-2007 11:57 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by 3dr A3 3.2 »
      ...should be easy to tap the electrical line going to the gate, and route another electrical line back into the cabin for a three-way switch: standard/always open/always closed...

Or you could check the color-code of the wire going to the vacuum solenoid
      at the flapper, and look for that same color-code wire in the bundle under
      the dash. Then just cut that wire and wire in the switch like the instructions
      in the MK IV R32 FAQ.

Quote, originally posted by justinperkins »
      ...You could even do the mod easier by clamping that vacuum line shut, but that will throw a code until you open the line again. Not a CEL causing code, but a code that shows up with a VAG-COM scan nonetheless.

Clamping the line in the MK IV R32 did not throw a code of any kind.
      Unplugging that vacuum line and leaving it open might, but clamping will not.
      There is no sensor on the flapper control sending info back to the ECU.

--Chuck--

19. 07-25-2007 12:25 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by speedbump2 »
      Clamping the line in the MK IV R32 did not throw a code of any kind.
      Unplugging that vacuum line and leaving it open might, but clamping will not.
      There is no sensor on the flapper control sending info back to the ECU.

--Chuck--

Good to know

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      07-25-2007 01:16 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by speedbump2 »
      ...There is no sensor on the flapper control sending info back to the ECU...

I just realized i omitted an important piece of information.
      That last sentence of my previous post should have read:

"There is no sensor on the flapper control vacuum pot sending info back to the ECU"

Sorry,

--Chuck--

Vehicles
      '11 Jetta TDI, '91 GTI VR6
      08-05-2007 06:37 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by justinperkins »
      hope this works for you

Just did this mod on my flapper. This is alot more work than necessary. Plus the tabs holding the vacuum pot to the exhaust are quite fragile and you need a very very very thin blade or screwdriver to get it off w/o cracking the unit. I realized once I got it off that the hole these guys are plugging is simply the inlet from the vacuum line. Didn't take long, but with the higher risk of cracking your flapper body, may as well just plug the vacuum line, as it would have the exact same effect. But now the sound is very very . Sucks cause I cant roll my windows down for another 2-3 days yet cause of the window tint, but doesnt sound like a mouse anymore, it really growls now.

HEX-CAN VCDS, also 2x2 adapter for older cars
      '11 Jetta TDI
      '91 GTI VR6
      (work in progress)

22. 08-05-2007 08:25 PM #22
      Cool, I think I'm just going to put a BB in the vacuum line

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      08-05-2007 09:43 PM #23
      Since the flapper is after the muffler does modding it really make a difference sound wise?

If it does then I'm going to guess that the tip with the flapper has a different more direct path through the muffler.

24. 08-05-2007 10:01 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by iThread »
      Since the flapper is after the muffler does modding it really make a difference sound wise?

If it does then I'm going to guess that the tip with the flapper has a different more direct path through the muffler.

the purpose of the flapper is to reduce noise levels below 45 mph. When you mod it, it keeps this flapper open from 0 mph. so yes modding it does make a difference sound wise.

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      08-05-2007 10:25 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by gizmopop »

the purpose of the flapper is to reduce noise levels below 45 mph. When you mod it, it keeps this flapper open from 0 mph. so yes modding it does make a difference sound wise.

Yup, I'm aware of that. I've done the 3 way switch mod to my MKIV R. But, the flapper on the MKIV r is before the muffler. This one is after which is why I had the question I did.

26. 08-05-2007 10:30 PM #26
      Not only did it improve the sound but dyno reports have shown modest gains in HP as a result of the flapper MOD. I am also curious if the same will also be true for the MK5 R32.

27. 08-05-2007 10:35 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by iThread »
      Yup, I'm aware of that. I've done the 3 way switch mod to my MKIV R. But, the flapper on the MKIV r is before the muffler. This one is after which is why I had the question I did.

For reference

I wonder what the inside of the muffler looks like? It's weird that the flapper is after the muffler

Those pics came from here: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/...10868

Modified by justinperkins at 7:46 PM 8-5-2007

28. 08-05-2007 10:43 PM #28
      Thanks for the pic reference. At least I will have an idea where to look under mine when I get it

29. 08-06-2007 02:41 AM #29
      Leave the vacuum line alone. Dont worry about pulling vacuum lines off or clamping anything, this isnt a MK4 R32

Disconnect the vacuum valve spindle (looks like a piece of wire) which connects to the flapper butterfly valve arm. Vacuum will continue to operate the valve and continues to move the valve spindle which protrudes from the black vacuum unit but the "system" doesnt know you have disconnected this link to the flapper arm in any way.
      There are no sensors there.

Wire "Open" the flapper valve itself using some stainless steel wire threaded thru and around the flapper valve arms spindle hole ( where the actuating valve spindle was inserted previous to u removing it from the hole ) and tie the wire around the exhaust pipe in such a way that the butterfly valve cant move from its open position.
      Without wiring, it just flops around loose.

Basically I precut a length of Stainless wire that would go thru the tiny hole and also pre bent a small "S" shape kink in the middle of the length of the wire and made this kink sit thru the flapper valve arms tiny hole so the wire could not slide thru of its own accord later and maintains the flapper position. Well the "S" shape was more of a "Z" where the angled part of the Z was vertical instead. You might get the gist of what I mean.
      After wrapping the wire around the pipe I twisted the two wire ends around each other with pliers.

Not easy to get in there with your hands but did my MK5 R and its got a good noise all the time now. Deeper thrum at lower revs and good idle sound. Cheap mod really.

No warranty voided, no sensors alerted.

My attempt was prompted by the work this guy did to do his.
      http://www.mindspring.com/~wch....html

Vehicles
      1996 GTI
      08-06-2007 01:33 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by euro16v »
      doesnt sound like a mouse anymore, it really growls now.

post a video, or a sound clip please

31. 08-06-2007 04:50 PM #31
      Vortallan, you said don't remove the vacuum line and plug it like the MK4, what is that exactly? I have heard from 1-2 other sources already that doing that worked just fine.

32. 08-07-2007 01:52 AM #32
      On my MK5 R32, if I had only removed or pinched off the vacuum line, the exhaust flapper would have ceased to operate which is sort of terrific except that it would have remained clamped shut by the force of the spring inside the black vacuum unit.
      I tried bashing the flapper butterfly valve open with a long screwdriver up the tailpipe, just try try to get an idea how hard it would be to open the flapper valve but the force of the spring didnt let it budge at all.
      I simply was unable to rotate that flapper against the force of what ever was inside that black vacuum unit and I assumed a decent spring was in there.
      So I gained some respect for the force that the vaccum line applies on the valve unit to force back the spring but it is not rocket science since it is easily done with simple pneumatics at work.

So going back to my earlier post, the way forward was to leave the vacuum line alone and just uncouple the actuating spindle which lets the flapper valve flop around like a **** in a sock, rotate the actuating spindle 180 degrees so the leg points away from the insertion hole, thread a piece of wire thru the flapper valves actuating arm and tie it so the flapper valve is wired permanently open.
      Refer back to my earlier post for other detail.
      If someone with a MK5 R32 has somehow pinched off the vacuum line or similar and that in total has somehow made their day, I dont see how because the black bodied vacuum unit simply will not let the flapper valve rotate at all by hand unless the vacuum valve actuating spindle is decoupled.
      All u need is a few simple hand tools such as pliers and a length of suitable diameter Stainless steel wire which is the same diameter or a bit less than the diameter of the vacuum units spindle arm.

Do I need to draw you blokes a picture of what I did or can u manage on your own

33. 08-07-2007 02:15 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by vortallan »
      On my MK5 R32, if I had only removed or pinched off the vacuum line, the exhaust flapper would have ceased to operate which is sort of terrific except that it would have remained clamped shut by the force of the spring inside the black vacuum unit.
      I tried bashing the flapper butterfly valve open with a long screwdriver up the tailpipe, just try try to get an idea how hard it would be to open the flapper valve but the force of the spring didnt let it budge at all.
      I simply was unable to rotate that flapper against the force of what ever was inside that black vacuum unit and I assumed a decent spring was in there.
      So I gained some respect for the force that the vaccum line applies on the valve unit to force back the spring but it is not rocket science since it is easily done with simple pneumatics at work.

So going back to my earlier post, the way forward was to leave the vacuum line alone and just uncouple the actuating spindle which lets the flapper valve flop around like a **** in a sock, rotate the actuating spindle 180 degrees so the leg points away from the insertion hole, thread a piece of wire thru the flapper valves actuating arm and tie it so the flapper valve is wired permanently open.
      Refer back to my earlier post for other detail.
      If someone with a MK5 R32 has somehow pinched off the vacuum line or similar and that in total has somehow made their day, I dont see how because the black bodied vacuum unit simply will not let the flapper valve rotate at all by hand unless the vacuum valve actuating spindle is decoupled.
      All u need is a few simple hand tools such as pliers and a length of suitable diameter Stainless steel wire which is the same diameter or a bit less than the diameter of the vacuum units spindle arm.

Do I need to draw you blokes a picture of what I did or can u manage on your own

Somebody's got to do the DIY for it, regardless of how simple the mod is

I was going to do this mod tomorrow night, if it hasn't been documented by then I'll do it

34. 08-07-2007 02:31 AM #34
      10 SECONDS FLAPPER MOD

THIS DOES WORK ..EASY TO REMOVE IF YOU DONT LIKE NOISE

Modified by AUZDAZ at 5:36 PM 8-7-2007

35. 08-07-2007 02:36 AM #35
      The problem is that the vacuum valve spindle is on the top side of all the action and you cant take a photo of what is there and how to thread the wire in. Coupled with the fact it is bloody difficult to get your hands in there, it is a job that takes time and you have to paint a picture in your mind as you feel what your doing with your hands and what the situation is. If you have fingers the size of sausages, your in trouble.
      In spite of the difficulty, I did the job in very low light using a torch in the evening.
      After much swearing, I got it done. If you have a pit or car ramps things could be much easier.
      Make the wire much longer than u think u need. Put a kink in it in the middle of the wire like a "Z" with an upright central instead of the angle in the Z.
      Then proceed to thread it into the flapper vale arm, the hole in that arm where the vacuum spindle was removed.
      Tie the wire around the exhaust pipe ensuring that the flapper is fully in the open position before u decide to twist the wire ends together.

Remember to thread and bind the wire in such a way so that it cant slip or rotate otherwise the flapper will change in its position.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast